• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Why schedule L.C. State?

Does somebody owe somebody down there a favor? Playing an NAIA team at this point makes no sense otherwise; however I am sure Barham and Backamus are drooling at getting some playing time.

Seriously, there are a bunch of Big Sky bottom feeders that are at least D-1 in the RPI rankings.
  • Oregonzagnut
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

Hindsight, IMO.

If we are 6-0, L/C will be a tentative "bye" to regroup and heal. We have to take them seriously but it provides a chance to let our local teams play us and give the same chance to upset that we needed at one time.

If we had losses it also is a time to regroup but also experiment with any possible extreme changes that would be needed. either way, it is not a guaranteed win. If Chaminade can win, anyone can.

The biggest thing IMO is Few knows what it means if local teams never get the chance at their biggest neighbors.

L/C will play us but UW won't. Who has the guts? Zags will play anyone, anywhere!
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Ezag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

breather.....

Comment

• webspinnre
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
        Seriously, there are a bunch of Big Sky bottom feeders that are at least D-1 in the RPI rankings.
        Presumably this is entirely the point. Big Sky teams would hurt our RPI, where NAIA teams are invisible to RPI.
        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• zagamatic
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2009

Logic is simple to me.
          1) it allows our guys a game to get adjusted back to the west coast time after being on the east coast for a week in the sun.
          2) healing time in case there injuries, whether it be to the body or the ego.
          3) worst case scenario, we could've come out of that tournament on a losing streak and needed to stop it. The committee punishes losing streaks with banishment to another time zone come March.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
            The committee punishes losing streaks with banishment to another time zone come March.
            That is the first I have heard of this, but it makes sense. I am not sure time zones is more important than the match-ups the committee likes to impose on us. Historically we have had matchup nightmares in the Dance and in most of our losses we have been pretty much solidly beaten by over 15 pts.

Any jet lag to Atlanta will be a "pleasure" to deal with at this point.
            “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• rawkmandale
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

I looked at the LCSC website. The team is undefeated at 9-0. They have a kid (Danny Marshall) that I watched play at East Valley HS. Marshall is a 6'6" senior and in HS was a second-team all-GSL selection as a senior when he averaged 17 points and nine rebounds a game.

They have a kid from Mead, two from Clarkston, and one from Lewiston. They also have 6'6" senior Nick Fromm from Coeur d'Alene (Lake City), and a bunch of Seattle area players.

Why not give those kids a lifetime memory in playing the Zags? Trust me, they will give everything they have. Yeah, we might blow them out, but I love the fact they they get their shot.

Comment

• SWZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rawkmandale View Post
                I looked at the LCSC website. The team is undefeated at 9-0. They have a kid (Danny Marshall) that I watched play at East Valley HS. Marshall is a 6'6" senior and in HS was a second-team all-GSL selection as a senior when he averaged 17 points and nine rebounds a game.

They have a kid from Mead, two from Clarkston, and one from Lewiston. They also have 6'6" senior Nick Fromm from Coeur d'Alene (Lake City), and a bunch of Seattle area players.

Why not give those kids a lifetime memory in playing the Zags? Trust me, they will give everything they have. Yeah, we might blow them out, but I love the fact they they get their shot.
                +1

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SWZag View Post
                  +1

SWZag
                  noblesse oblige?

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

It's probably an RPI thing, I think. IIRC non-D-I teams don't count against the RPI whereas any D-I team, win or lose, does. So it actually hurts the RPI a lot more to invite in EWU than LCSC. And, honestly, both of those are probably a blowout win with plenty of time for walk-ons, etc.

Comment

• jim77
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

LCSC 9-0 = Rocky Balboa.....

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2008

I see this game as a great opportunity to work on some things. Dranganis looks to me like he needs to work on his confidence, maybe get GJB to shoot 3 times more than usual, Karno needs more time on the floor to get his comfort level up. Just to name a few.
                        "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

swb

scrimmage with benefits

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            scrimmage with benefits
                            This, plus you don't have to pay LCSC nearly what you'd have to pay a Big Sky team for a guarantee game (the price of which has gone up considerably in the past couple years). It will still likely be the biggest payday in LCSC's season.
                            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• hooter73
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jun 2008

St. Marys entire OOC schedule looks like our one breather game
                              Last edited by hooter73; 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X