PDA

View Full Version : UCLA's Tyler Lamb & Josh Smith to transfer

BobZag
11-25-2012, 01:12 PM
UCLA Basketball ‏@UCLAMBB
UCLA junior guard Tyler Lamb has elected to leave the program and will transfer at the end of the fall quarter.

Center Josh Smith to transfer, too.

Oregonzagnut
11-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Apparently, Lamb was not on the "Free Muhammad" bandwagon.

sittingon50
11-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Someone needed to stand up for that kid!

;)

bostonzagfan
11-25-2012, 02:19 PM
is this posted because he might have interest in GU or is it just OT

Birddog
11-25-2012, 02:41 PM
If he's a Junior, he just about has to go D2 or NAIA.

BobZag
11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
If he hasn't redshirted, he can use his redshirt year for the transfer. Should have two years of eligibility. I don't know his story, though, and not impressed with his numbers, so not sure about him.

sittingon50
11-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Rex is looking for a few good men.

WallaWallaZag
11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
If he hasn't redshirted, he can use his redshirt year for the transfer. Should have two years of eligibility. I don't know his story, though, and not impressed with his numbers, so not sure about him.

he was a blue-chip prospect coming out of high-school and he's got good size and athletic ability so it would seem the talent is there. has been injured so hasn't really shown what he can do. however, would think he overlaps with coleman and getting a big to fill in for harris would seem to be the priority.

sittingon50
11-28-2012, 07:20 AM
confused with another school, or do a lot of their kids transfer after their 1st college stop?

BobZag
11-28-2012, 08:57 AM
he was a blue-chip prospect coming out of high-school and he's got good size and athletic ability so it would seem the talent is there. has been injured so hasn't really shown what he can do. however, would think he overlaps with coleman and getting a big to fill in for harris would seem to be the priority.

Zags could use a bigger guard or two in the future. He could play when Bell/Pangos are seniors, I think. But it would seem LMU or Pepp or maybe Monson at LBSU would be more logical stops.

ZagNative
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
And where does Josh Smith end up?

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz

As Bruinreport had, UCLA officially announces Josh Smith left the team, will transfer. Smith follows Tyler Lamb out the door before Dec. 1.

ZagLawGrad
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Josh should've come here to begin with.

Vanzagger
11-28-2012, 12:43 PM
well there you have it.

Zag@LMU
11-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Yawn. Might be interested if he was a 4.

MDABE80
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Josh should've come here to begin with.

This. I'd like to see him here...minus 25 lbs or MORE.

Vanzagger
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
with Coleman on board that is going to be quite the pace the next few years. I think Smith would adapt. GBJ should be able to give Few a good scout.

23dpg
11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I would have no interest in Josh Smith. He's a McD's All-American now in every way except the basketball. He just can't get into shape. Shame.

FlyZag
11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I believe without the distractions of LA, if he had come here originally he would be a better player and considerably lighter.

Zag@LMU
11-28-2012, 12:58 PM
I would have no interest in Josh Smith. He's a McD's All-American now in every way except the basketball. He just can't get into shape. Shame.

Exactly this. I hate to make assumptions, but I see a player who doesn't care to develop their full potential in smith. I don't want him on our team.

Zag@LMU
11-28-2012, 01:00 PM
What I want to know is when key decomittments come from Westwood.

cjm720
11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I have a hunch Smith lands at Seattle U.

Vanzagger
11-28-2012, 01:08 PM
the Huskies already have a massive TE so prob not going to play football

ZagLawGrad
11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I believe without the distractions of LA, if he had come here originally he would be a better player and considerably lighter.

No doubt. And it would have been just as bad for him at UW as it apparently turned out at UCLA.

CDC84
11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
You can count on one thing....the next coach he plays for will read the riot act: "During your redshirt year, you will lose "x" amount of pounds or you will be playing D-2 ball." It's the end of the D-1 line for him. Howland was never tough on him about the weight issues. If Smith has chosen Louisville out of high school, Pitino would have that weight off by now. He would've suspended him. He's done it with overweight players in the past.

ZagNative
11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Wonder what Ken Pomeroy is thinking ...
Ken Pomeroy ‏@kenpomeroy

If the team I rooted for took a shot on Joshua Smith, I'd be thrilled.
I know what Gary Parrish is thinking ...
21m Gary Parrish Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS

And I don't believe Josh Smith is just lazy. He's lazy AND addicted to food. I really don't think he can help himself. Like I said, sad.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Probably a taco stand.

BobZag
11-28-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd take Josh if he had two years to play for me. I'd be happy to have him. Travis Knight would work wonders for him.

Angelo Roncalli
11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Only a half year or a full year of eligibility remaining according to the Sporting News:

He reportedly will finish out the semester at UCLA and then transfer. If he seeks to play immediately at his next school, hell have only one semester of eligibility remaining, beginning at the Christmas break next year. Should he choose to sit out until the beginning of the 2014-15 season, hed have one full year of eligibility remaining.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-11-28/josh-smith-transfer-UCLA-ben-howland?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BobZag
11-28-2012, 01:44 PM
That sucks for him.

Kiddwell
11-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Let's not jump at the first transfer we see. Focus, focus. No impulse shopping. The Zags need a studly 3/4 to replace Elias.

:]

MDABE80
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
That kid has screwed hiself. He's had quite a while to lose that weight. Now, he's simply outflanked by the Wear kids. He's got big talent....but unfortunatley he also has a big appetite. It's killing this young man.

duper
11-28-2012, 02:33 PM
If he transfers right away and starts at his new school in January he would be able to play in January of next year with basically 1 and 1/2 years to play.http://seattletimes.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2019782887_report_jos

BobZag
11-28-2012, 02:37 PM
If he transfers right away and starts at his new school in January he would be able to play in January of next year with basically 1 and 1/2 years to play.http://seattletimes.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2019782887_report_jos

Conflicting reports, but this is better.

UberZagFan
11-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Probably a taco stand.

Too funny.

On the eligibility, AR's link has it right unless the NCAA grants some type exemption for the games played this year (6 so far, no?). This is Smith's third year so no matter where he goes, if it's DI, he only has one full year left. If he chooses to use that year next year, then he has to wait one full year post transfer so he can't start playing until January and will in effect only get 1/2 a season in. If he sits out a full season, he can play a full season the following year.

Not aware of any exemption Smith would qualify for the NCAA not to count the six games played this year as some exemption.

JS needs one full year at a new program to get in shape or ship out anyway.

tobizag
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
i think he winds up at UW, close to home, on a terrible team that can make him the focal point of the offense. and despite all his other shortcomings, romar does have a way with shaping most of the young men who come through his program. he might be a good influence on smith.

cjm720
11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
i think he winds up at UW, close to home, on a terrible team that can make him the focal point of the offense. and despite all his other shortcomings, romar does have a way with shaping most of the young men who come through his program. he might be a good influence on smith.

Doubt Romar will make it that long...too bad, because he's one of the good guys in sports (albeit scared to play us).

VinnyZag
11-28-2012, 03:22 PM

I believe he'd have to get UCLA's permission to transfer to another Pac-12 school. UCLA might not be willing to do that.

Seattle U. seems logical.

I'd take him at GU in a heartbeat. As their fourth big next year? Absolutely.

BTB
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I'd take him at GU in a heartbeat. As their fourth big next year? Absolutely.

Same, a full year to get into shape before he could play? And if he doesn't oh well. Well worth the risk IMO

tinfoilzag
11-28-2012, 04:10 PM

UW would make sense. It's hard to spot a single train wreck there.

sittingon50
11-28-2012, 05:26 PM
:roll:

ZagNative
11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Could Smith pull a Meech and play football some place for two years?

Nevtelen
11-28-2012, 06:21 PM
You can count on one thing....the next coach he plays for will read the riot act: "During your redshirt year, you will lose "x" amount of pounds or you will be playing D-2 ball." It's the end of the D-1 line for him. Howland was never tough on him about the weight issues. If Smith has chosen Louisville out of high school, Pitino would have that weight off by now. He would've suspended him. He's done it with overweight players in the past.

I dunno... given the circus Pitino put up with from Caracter (sp?), I have my doubts if much significant would have differed at the Ville. Smith does need to go somewhere with a tough coach that doesn't take crap from him, for sure, though, and then embrace the fact that it's the end of the line for him bball-wise.

Bogozags
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Right now we are loaded with "BIGS" with another 7footer coming in next year BUT wouldn't Smith be a nice project.

He has to redshirt one year IF he choses to play at a D1 school, SO why not GU. Get him to totally buy into a fitness program, he learns our system, he gets his like back on track and possibly solves our big man concern for the foreseeable future. He gets to start playing after the first semester of next year and then we have PK, KO, SD and a trimmed down and focused Smith...

Just a pipe-dream or could this actually happen...

Your thoughts...

VaBeachZAG
11-29-2012, 08:09 AM
More like a nightmare! I read that he has only one year of eligibility. Also, if he wasn't motivated to get in shape and play his best at UCLA, I sure don't see it happening at GU. I am confident the Zags will have much much better options down the road.

Nevtelen
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Right now we are loaded with "BIGS" with another 7footer coming in next year BUT wouldn't Smith be a nice project.

He has to redshirt one year IF he choses to play at a D1 school, SO why not GU. Get him to totally buy into a fitness program, he learns our system, he gets his like back on track and possibly solves our big man concern for the foreseeable future. He gets to start playing after the first semester of next year and then we have PK, KO, SD and a trimmed down and focused Smith...

Just a pipe-dream or could this actually happen...

Your thoughts...

Obviously we have gotten kids with 'problem' reps before, like Micah, and it's worked out well. But I think more often than not that type of thing doesn't happen. I'd be very hesitant if I were the GU staff at even trying to land Smith. I'm also not enamored of the fact that he'd take up 2 years of schollies for 1 year of PT. Bad deal all around IMO.

CDC84
11-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I
dunno... given the circus Pitino put up with from Caracter (sp?), I have my doubts if much significant would have differed at the Ville.

Pitino suspended Derrick Caracter until he lost weight, which he eventually did. You can't play in the Louisville system with all that pressing while carrying around excess pounds. It's absolutely impossible. Pitino's teams are always in the best shape. Unfortunately Caracter had other issues off the court that led to his eventual departure.....academics, curfew violations, etc. As far as I know, Smith hasn't been a hassle beyond his one too many trips to local eateries.

Ben Howland is known throughout the coaching world as being soft on players. In my judgment, too soft. I think most high major D-1 coaches wouldn't have tolerated Smith's behavior.

BobZag
11-29-2012, 09:39 AM
I'd need 2 years eligibility. I'd take him with 2 years. Not anything less.

Bogozags
11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Obviously we have gotten kids with 'problem' reps before, like Micah, and it's worked out well. But I think more often than not that type of thing doesn't happen. I'd be very hesitant if I were the GU staff at even trying to land Smith. I'm also not enamored of the fact that he'd take up 2 years of schollies for 1 year of PT. Bad deal all around IMO.

My correction, he only has 1.5 years of eligibility remaining (2.5 years of scholarships). He has to sit a year if he goes to another D1 school. He sit the spring and fall of '13 and plays the next three semesters. He has an entire year to lose his 40+ pounds and could workout together with PK.

Just imagine if Coach Daniels could find a way for Smith to become motivated the upside would be incredible. Sure if a frog had wings then he wouldn't...you know the rest BUT think he would be a good investment...also, we gave a scholarship to Foster and believe Smith to be a "tad" better...IMO.

BobZag
11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Could Smith pull a Meech and play football some place for two years?

I don't think football is his thing.

Angelo Roncalli
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
My correction, he only has 1.5 years of eligibility remaining (2.5 years of scholarships). He has to sit a year if he goes to another D1 school. He sit the spring and fall of '13 and plays the next three semesters. He has an entire year to lose his 40+ pounds and could workout together with PK.

Maybe he has 1.5 years of eligibility. But only if he transfers and begins next semester at his new school. He has stated however that he is going to finish the academic year at UCLA. That will mean he will have used 3 years of eligibility. He then transfers. He has to sit out 1 full year AFTER he transfers. That transfer redshirt year will be year 4 of eligibility. He would then have one full year to play...which would be his fifth year--remember the 4 in 5 rule.

Recall the Micah Downs situation. Micah played one semester for Kansas then transferred. That counted as full year of competition. Because he transferred after one semester, he sat out a full year before he was eligible the second semester of his sophomore year at GU (he played in the 17 games during the second semester). He then had two years of eligibility remaining.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/gonzaga/micah-downs

UberZagFan
11-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Again, he doesn't have anything more than 1 year of eligibility unless the NCAA grants some type of exemption, which Uber doesn't even know would be possible. He's played his frosh, soph and now his junior year. His six games this year count as a full season of eligibility.

Depending on his transfer, he may only be able (not eligible) to play 1/2 a season. If he transfers now (which AR says he's not), and goes to a school in the spring and sits out one full year per transfer rule, he will be able to play 1/2 a season next spring at his new school. If he transfers at the end of the school year and sits out a year, he will be able to play 1 season beginning in 2014-15 year.

Nevtelen
11-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I

Pitino suspended Derrick Caracter until he lost weight, which he eventually did. You can't play in the Louisville system with all that pressing while carrying around excess pounds. It's absolutely impossible. Pitino's teams are always in the best shape. Unfortunately Caracter had other issues off the court that led to his eventual departure.....academics, curfew violations, etc. As far as I know, Smith hasn't been a hassle beyond his one too many trips to local eateries.

Ben Howland is known throughout the coaching world as being soft on players. In my judgment, too soft. I think most high major D-1 coaches wouldn't have tolerated Smith's behavior.

That's fair. My issue with the Caracter situation, and how I compare it to this, is that Pitino kept giving Caracter chance after chance after chance (esp. with curfew issues and academic tutoring appointments, IIRC), with no real consequences attached until after the season was over and he basically got kicked to the curb. It seems like Josh Smith has had a similar series of ultimatums with vaguely enforced consequences under Howland. But it is probably true that Smith wouldn't have seen the floor in his current condition for Louisville because there is NO WAY he'd keep up with that pace for even a couple of possessions.

xjzico
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Too funny.

On the eligibility, AR's link has it right unless the NCAA grants some type exemption for the games played this year (6 so far, no?). This is Smith's third year so no matter where he goes, if it's DI, he only has one full year left. If he chooses to use that year next year, then he has to wait one full year post transfer so he can't start playing until January and will in effect only get 1/2 a season in. If he sits out a full season, he can play a full season the following year.

Not aware of any exemption Smith would qualify for the NCAA not to count the six games played this year as some exemption.

JS needs one full year at a new program to get in shape or ship out anyway.
I believe there's a mental illness provision for hardship waivers. Don't know if overeating would qualify and even if so, would probably depend on a trail of documentation.

Basketball might be secondary right now. So good luck Josh Smith.

Kiddwell
11-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Basketball might be secondary right now. So good luck Josh Smith.

A good and generous attitude, XJ.

+1

:]