PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Spangler sighting

A to Zags
11-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Anyone notice if he was at the game...and, any information on how he is doing?
He was a favorite of mine last year and wish him well at Oklahoma.:clap:

MickMick
11-24-2012, 02:38 PM
There are folks on a OU board that think of him as a reject.

Little do they know. He will not only be their best big, he may end up being their best player.

Some really look down at the "talent level" of GU and are mystified that their higher rated recruiting class gets "owned" by GU. Even after getting beat down, they look at a player that transfers out of GU as inferior.

Perhaps just a select few from a message board, but they really are clueless. Spangler will be a godsend for that squad. Coach Few didn't want him to go.

Of all the transfers in the past decade, Spangler was the best of the lot and it isn't close.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Of all the transfers in the past decade, Spangler was the best of the lot and it isn't close.

This very well may prove to be true. At this point, though, I've got to give the nod to Gibbs considering what he's been able to accomplish so far for a very good Creighton team.

MickMick
11-24-2012, 02:47 PM
This very well may prove to be true. At this point, though, I've got to give the nod to Gibbs considering what he's been able to accomplish so far for a very good Creighton team.

Not even close.

I believe this to be true.

cggonzaga
11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry Mick but I think you're vastly overrating Spangler. He doesn't even get minutes for us this year. Probably would have had to redshirt. I've always thought of him as a very poor man's Cory Violette and we've got 4 bigs better than Cory this season.

On another note, Manny Arop is averaging 8.5ppg and 6.3rpg for a 3-1 Indiana St team. He's the one I always regretted leaving. It would sure be nice having him and Edi together.

ZagLawGrad
11-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Sorry Mick but I think you're vastly overrating Spangler. He doesn't even get minutes for us this year. Probably would have had to redshirt. I've always thought of him as a very poor man's Cory Violette and we've got 4 bigs better than Cory this season.....

Spot on. Except he would have gotten a few minutes here and there. Not near the number of SD, Karno and KO.

jbslicer
11-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Not feeling the spangst. Hope he does well at OU.

jazzdelmar
11-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I'd find minutes for Cory on this team.

windycityzag
11-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I was at the first two games of the Old Spice Classic and was sad to see that Spangler did not make the trip to Orlando. I'm not sure if this is typical protocol for red shirts but I seemed to remember Kelly and Kyle traveling with the team last year.

Would of have been a fun reunion for Spangler especially to see fellow classmates Pangos, Bell and Dranginis.

Birddog
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Kelly and Kyle could have ended their Redshirt at any time. Spangler as a transfer must sit out and that might be the reason he didn't travel.

sittingon50
11-24-2012, 04:54 PM
This.

RRZagFan
11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
He couldn't travel,just like Coleman couldnt

OK-ZagFan
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I was at the first two games of the Old Spice Classic and was sad to see that Spangler did not make the trip to Orlando. I'm not sure if this is typical protocol for red shirts but I seemed to remember Kelly and Kyle traveling with the team last year.

Would of have been a fun reunion for Spangler especially to see fellow classmates Pangos, Bell and Dranginis.

Spangler cannot travel this year due to a transfer and NCAA Rules. I know he stays in touch with Pangos, Bell, and Drainginis. Ryan is doing very well right now, he actually hit it off this summer with Blake Griffin and works out with him when Blake is back in Okla. Word from some OU sources is that if Spangler did not have to redshirt he would be starting. Good Luck to the Zags, there are still alot of people in Okla. that still root for them when they are not playing OU. The Zags looked really good against OU and if they continue we will see them in a Final 4.

bigblahla
11-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree Mick, Spangler would get lots of minutes when E leaves. We lost a real good one.

Go!! Zags!!!

MickMick
11-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Sorry Mick but I think you're vastly overrating Spangler. He doesn't even get minutes for us this year. Probably would have had to redshirt. I've always thought of him as a very poor man's Cory Violette and we've got 4 bigs better than Cory this season.

On another note, Manny Arop is averaging 8.5ppg and 6.3rpg for a 3-1 Indiana St team. He's the one I always regretted leaving. It would sure be nice having him and Edi together.

Or are you vastly under rating Zag bigs?

Where did I say he would take minutes from a Zag? I watched OU. I have seen Spangler. The point is he is better than any of their bigs. I also don't go with the "Poor man's" Violette description. He would have been Violette II.

I'm not feeling the Grant Gibbs love either. You want to talk about a player that would be permanently attached to the pine at GU, it would be him.

sittingon50
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Yet he's good enough to excel in the MVC?

Kiddwell
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
With the loss of 6-8 Elias next year (not to mention the loss of the rebounding prowess of Edi and Hart at 6-6), we could really use Spangler next year. Kiddwell's really nervous about how we fill that huge gap. Here's hoping Kelly and the Karnivore eat up the boards next year and that Sam I Am turns into a rebounding fanatic.

Spangler is missed.

:[

MDABE80
11-24-2012, 05:34 PM
I'd find minutes for Cory on this team.

Cory would start sooooo fast on this team, your heads wouls spin. EIther youngsters say this people who weren't watching back then.
Spangler would be ahead of anyone except Harris. He was REALLY talented. He wasn't flashy but he knew how to rebound and how to score. Mayby Kelly O would get more minutes.............havent seen enough yet.

ZagLawGrad
11-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Where did I say he would take minutes from a Zag? I watched OU. I have seen Spangler. The point is he is better than any of their bigs. I also don't go with the "Poor man's" Violette description. He would have been Violette II.

I'm not feeling the Grant Gibbs love either. You want to talk about a player that would be permanently attached to the pine at GU, it would be him.

Mick---you loved Arop. ;)

Spangler had some upside, but with 2 pts avg and 6 mins a game last year, pretty hard to say he's that good IMO.

BULLDOG#1
11-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Spangler seemed to be a hard worker, tough rebounder, and all around good kid.

But the people on this board saw his talent for way more than it was or ever will be.

There's no way Spangler has as successful of a college career post-zags than Gibbs or Arop.

cggonzaga
11-24-2012, 05:46 PM

I don't understand? If you're referring to Violette I thought he was great. That should show how good I think this years bigs are. I agree with Jazz, I'd find minutes for Cory too. However, Cory didn't have the skill level these 4 have. That being said not sure these 4 have Cory's motor.

Back to Spangler. I like him fine. I just don't think he's the superstar you're making him out to be. He would've been good as an upperclassmen. Probably would've been our leading rebounder. He would've been a poor man's Cory Violette. Cory was bigger and a better athlete than Ryan. Nothing wrong with that.

Robzagnut
11-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Spangler was THE one that got away. He will be sorely missed next year and the following when the Zags need him the most.

cggonzaga
11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Spangler was THE one that got away. He will be sorely missed next year and the following when the Zags need him the most.

Why? We still have Dower, Kelly and Karno next year along with 2 big freshmen. A deep run this year and we probably add another talented big.

More than anybody Ryan saw the writing on the wall here. Good luck at Oklahoma!

OK-ZagFan
11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Spangler seemed to be a hard worker, tough rebounder, and all around good kid.

But the people on this board saw his talent for way more than it was or ever will be.

There's no way Spangler has as successful of a college career post-zags than Gibbs or Arop.

I learned a long time ago "Never say Never" and I live with that every day.

BULLDOG#1
11-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I learned a long time ago "Never say Never" and I live with that every day.

Fair enough, Spangler with his size and work ethic could become more than I think he will. I'd love it if he did and gladly eat my words.

Still think this board always thought more of him than he ever showed us in a zag uniform.

SunDevilGolfZag
11-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Spangler would have been the best rebounder in the WCC, bar none for at least 2 years. It was simple to see. But that said, now we have Karnowski so everyone should just be happy for Spangler and for the Zags.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
If Spangler were on this team and I were the coach, I'd start him on the frontline with Harris. This team has plenty of fire power on offense, but it lacks a blue-collar big man.

Oregonzagnut
11-24-2012, 07:32 PM

Grant Gibbs has proven that may not be true, especially if you consider his current proven impact on a top ranked team. When ever has a guy transferred to another top 15 team to later become a starter?

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Grant Gibbs has proven that may not be true, especially if you consider his current proven impact on a top ranked team. When ever has a guy transferred to another top 15 team to later become a starter?

Creighton is a one-man show. Let's not give GG credit for Doug McDermott being really, really good.

JPtheBeasta
11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Creighton is a one-man show. Let's not give GG credit for Doug McDermott being really, really good.

I kind of fall in with you on this. Gibbs doesn't get asked to do much, at least from the couple of games I watched last year. I think he had captain status, though, so I guess if that's the case he's one of those "intangibles" guys. And there's something to be said about that.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-24-2012, 08:09 PM
I suspect that Spangler would have red-shirted this season if he had stayed and would have become a dominant two-year starter as a redshirt junior and senior. I concur with those who see a Cory Viollette-type player - a physical rebounder with incredible strength who gets position on the low block and gets every rebound in his area. I wish he had stayed, because we would really be able to use him in a year or two.

Oklahoma picked up a very, very good player when he joined them. He might be the best player on that team if he was eligible to play. Perhaps Osby is better, but none of their other bigs are in his league.

CDC84
11-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Spangler starts at some point next year at Oklahoma. They need a player like him.

I still wish Gonzaga had him, and so does the coaching staff. They did not want him to leave. It's not because he's an all world talent. It's because he could've redshirted this year to better his offense, and then he coud've stepped in to help make up for some of the rebounding and hussle that will be lost when Harris departs.

Grant Gibbs would struggle to see the floor on this year's Gonzaga team. He has been too slowed down by injuries to play in GU's system. What Grant did - which most transfers don't do - is pick the absolutely perfect school to transfer to. He's not asked to do anything he can't do at Creighton, he fits within their system and he picked a winning program.

BTW - Creighton is more than a one man show. They have players around him, but it is difficult to imagine them beating a top 10 type team without McDermott scoring big.

bigblahla
11-24-2012, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Spangler starts at some point next year at Oklahoma. They need a player like him.

I still wish Gonzaga had him, and so does the coaching staff. They did not want him to leave. It's not because he's an all world talent. It's because he could've redshirted this year to better his offense, and then he coud've stepped in to help make up for some of the rebounding and hussle that will be lost when Harris departs.

Grant Gibbs would struggle to see the floor on this year's Gonzaga team. He has been too slowed down by injuries to play in GU's system. What Grant did - which most transfers don't do - is pick the absolutely perfect school to transfer to. He's not asked to do anything he can't do at Creighton, he fits within their system and he picked a winning program.

BTW - Creighton is more than a one man show. They have players around him, but it is difficult to imagine them beating a top 10 type team without McDermott scoring big.

QFT, right on the money in every aspect.

Go!! Zags!!!

cggonzaga
11-24-2012, 09:18 PM
still wish Gonzaga had him, and so does the coaching staff. They did not want him to leave. It's not because he's an all world talent. It's because he could've redshirted this year to better his offense, and then he coud've stepped in to help make up for some of the rebounding and hussle that will be lost when Harris departs

I concur.

mgadfly
11-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I liked Spangler a lot, wished he had stayed and red shirted, but ... I think he made the right decision for himself. Last season he couldn't get minutes from Dower. It is already clear the coaching staff considers Olynyk an equal or possibly better option to Dower.

Is he better than Karno? I don't think so. More importantly, as much as the coaching staff wanted Spangs to stay, I don't think they put Spangs ahead of Karno.

He might earn a starting position as a junior and senior (assuming he red shirted this year), depending on who else we bring in. That is awful speculative for an 18-19 year old. I hope he does well because I liked his style of play and hustle.

As far as CV goes, it would depend on what we mean. Him as a freshman? He wouldn't get many minutes with this bunch of bigs. Say he was a senior with Harris and had been part of the team the past three years, then we probably would have never signed at least 1 of Karno, Dower, Olynyk to begin with. There would be a log jam, but he would be part of it instead of one of our 4 bigs we currently have.

Zag 77
11-24-2012, 10:27 PM
I ponder the cases of Karnowski coming from Poland, Harris from Germany, Turiaf from France, Batista from Brazil, etc. and yet Spangler left because he missed his girlfriend in OK supposedly.

That darned girlfriend better not dump him.

And those brothers who kept bugging him about what a star he would be at Oklahoma had better give him a couple of head of cattle some day.

Robzagnut
11-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Why? We still have Dower, Kelly and Karno next year along with 2 big freshmen. A deep run this year and we probably add another talented big.

Probably?

Who will be the 4th big if any of those three get into foul trouble? Meikle and Edwards could have both been red shirted if Spangler was around. Plus, that leaves only those two when Dower, Kelly and Karno (if he goes pro) all leave at the same time. That leaves all the bigs being just sophomores or redshirt freshmen. Spangler would have filled the gap nicely and GU would have one big with experience.

bostonzagfan
11-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Probably?

Who will be the 4th big if any of those three get into foul trouble? Meikle and Edwards could have both been red shirted if Spangler was around. Plus, that leaves only those two when Dower, Kelly and Karno (if he goes pro) all leave at the same time. That leaves all the bigs being just sophomores or redshirt freshmen. Spangler would have filled the gap nicely and GU would have one big with experience.

this is so true, we need a top 2014 big to pair with karno or if karno leaves to at least have one good big man. if meikle/edwards have to start early in their careers i don't think that will be good.

Oregonzagnut
11-25-2012, 10:06 AM

No one is truly a one man show, but you are right, Dougy-poo is an All-American. I said that in argument to what someone said about Spangler being the best transfer. I think Gibbs is the best transfer OUT of Gonzaga to date. And to suppoert that, IMO, it is proven in his "impact" at #14 Creighton. As a PG, Gibbs is doing what he needs to do to keep Creighton/McDermott elite this year. He is starting on a top ranked team.

Just my opinion and the two players are apples and oranges. :cheers:

What is your opinion CaliZaggin, who do you think would be the best player to have left Gonzaga? and why?

Coach Crazy
11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Spangler made the right move, for himself and GU. Wouldn't have gotten any minutes this year, and would have been limited next, as well.

Yeah, he could have redshirted, but I don't think that is what he signed on for at a WCC program. Won't miss Spangler unless Few lays an egg with our next dew bigs on he recruiting trail.

Goshzagit
11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
there are already whispers of Olynyk & Karnowski being NBA picks this off-season and Elias Harris graduating...what then? (Elias is out of eligibility)

Let's be honest...Olynyk & Karnowski have received NBA interest considering they are both 7'1" and move pretty darn well, not to mention their skill level for their size.

They are shoe-ins as 2nd Round picks already...it'll be up to them to stay or go.

KO garner quite a bit of attention when he started for the Canadian Senior National Team a year ago and faired well vs current NBA competition.

Are they gonna go? I'm not sure, but it will be up to THEM, b/c the League is already taking note.

I hope they stay, if not, Gonzaga would be in a world of disarray...point is, let's enjoy this season and 'the now', b/c if we make a run in the Tournament...anything is possible.

webspinnre
11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
I can't see any reason a non-senior would go pro if they were going to be a 2nd round pick. That's non-guaranteed contract with no large signing bonus.

Oregonzagnut
11-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Spangler and Gibbs both did the right thing under the circumstances. My mind says Gibbs and Stockton are very similar. Smart, high IQ's, intangible, but not great scorers. True PG's who's job it is to NEVER rush a shot and either take the easy bucket, or dish it to the guy with the best shot.

Coach Crazy
11-25-2012, 01:29 PM
there are already whispers of Olynyk & Karnowski being NBA picks this off-season and Elias Harris graduating...what then? (Elias is out of eligibility)

Let's be honest...Olynyk & Karnowski have received NBA interest considering they are both 7'1" and move pretty darn well, not to mention their skill level for their size.

They are shoe-ins as 2nd Round picks already...it'll be up to them to stay or go.

KO garner quite a bit of attention when he started for the Canadian Senior National Team a year ago and faired well vs current NBA competition.

Are they gonna go? I'm not sure, but it will be up to THEM, b/c the League is already taking note.

I hope they stay, if not, Gonzaga would be in a world of disarray...point is, let's enjoy this season and 'the now', b/c if we make a run in the Tournament...anything is possible.

I would be surprised if KO were on anyone's radar at this point. And Karno might do enough to be a low first rounder...but those are "ifs", you don't stick around a program who's ability to give you playing time is based on shifty possibities, such as those.

After seeing Ryan play, it was very evident that the bulk of his impact would be from reboundinge...and not from scoring or big time defense.

ZagLawGrad
11-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I can see Spangler being a better player if he becomes more of a Brockman-type player. Not sure that's in his makeup from what little we got to see him. But good luck, big fella.

Zaglaw
11-25-2012, 01:54 PM
I watched Creighton's last 2 games. Gibbs did the right thing in transferring to the Jays. They play a very different offense than the Zags. Not a lot of movement. Gibbs picks a spot on the wing & basically stands there on most plays. He is obviously important to the Jays. Good passing, court vision, Pendo-type hustle for the ball. But, I don't think he could run the Zags motion. Plus, on the Jay's fast breaks, he is the last guy down the floor. Gonzaga's style does not suit his abilities.