View Full Version : Zags Defense

rijman
11-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Zags defense past 4 games:

Zags vs. OK; 47 pts, fg% 32.0%
Zags vs. Clemson; 49 pts, fg% 31.0%
Zags vs. USD; 58 pts, fg% 33.9%
Zags vs. WVU 50 pts, fg% 27.3

After the games through Clemson I thought the Zags were hitting cold shooting teams, but now I'm realizing 4 opponents in a row didn't just have off games, the Zags defense had something to do with that. WVU was playing their first game against the Zags and their 18 points in the first half may be their worst offensive half all season, 28 pts is their lowest half since in their next 2 games. But these 4 games are starting to show a nice defensive trend. I also noticed in the past 2 games there haven't been many easy buckets for their opponents, both teams have worked hard for almost every point and neither reached 50 total points. This is just a small sample, but I really like the trend.

VinnyZag
11-23-2012, 08:29 PM
According to KenPom (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga), GU's adjusted defensive efficiency is 88.0, seventh in the country.

RenoZag
11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
It does this fan's belief in the prospects for the 2012-13 edition of the Bulldogs a whole world of good to hear Gonzaga hailed for it's depth, talent, and coaching.

But reading and listening to fans & others praise the defense ?

True music to my ears.

I thought Bell & Hart were the defensive stalwarts last year & really set the standard for hustle, tenacity, and hard work. I also think they've been leaders whose example has other Zags playing tough defensive basketball .

Defense wins championships.

CDC84
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
I think you also have to take into account that while Gonzaga allowed Southern Utah to shoot a high percentage from the field, the defense generated 28 turnovers in that game. They were extending pressure and were willing to give up some easy baskets at times. They played excellent defense in that game too.

The help side defense on this team is much better.

Next game will be a major test for the defense. Davidson is highly efficient on offense and shoots the 3 ball very well.

Zag79
11-24-2012, 12:44 AM
This has been the missing piece to so many good Zag teams that fell just short. This team has the rare ability to out tough, out rebound, and lock up its opponents on defense. If it continues, the skies the limit.

caduceus
11-24-2012, 03:37 AM
According to KenPom (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga), GU's adjusted defensive efficiency is 88.0, seventh in the country.

After the OU win, it's now 86.5, third in the nation. Offensive efficiency, BTW, is now 11th, for an overall #4 ranking, per Pomeroy.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-24-2012, 05:06 AM
That defense is visibly improved over the past several years. Nobody ever seems to go on a sustained run against our kids.

jim77
11-24-2012, 09:39 AM
I actually think we're a better defensive team than offense right now.

The first half against Clemson was some of the most hard-nosed defense I've ever seen ANY Zag team play. The Clemson team themselves are quite the athletes...I think they we're surprised at how well we shut them down.

In BOTH games in Orlando neither team could manage 50 points....I see a pattern here. The Zags come out and smother the other team from the get go. The other team may be able to slow our offense too BUT...we keep coming. Oklahoma had a ton of fouls against us but, it did not mean a let up at all. The stategy of going after a certain player has been totally taken off of the plan. This team feeds off of the defense...and this team can sense when the've got their opponent in trouble. It almost like they know their oppopnent will eventually wilt.

Davidson will be another tough test for the Zags as we will get our perimeter D severly tested....the Wildcats are the type of team who can shoot themselves out of trouble. If we stay close and play HARD I can also see Davidson wilting......the danger with them is going down big early.

One other tidbit. We are playing such tight defense that it is forcing our opponents to go deep into the shot clock. This does 2 things. One it forces the other team to play harder longer(which leads to their own fatique) and it forces thenm to rush their play to avoid the shot clock violation....which can result in poor shot selection. On offense we seem to be pretty patient using the shot clock and making the othe team's defense play longer...and contributing MORE to their fatique. Then once we get them a step slower we insert Stockton. At that point if the defense isn't sharp....David will pick them apart. This put more pressure on the other team's deffense because they know if their man gets more than a few steps away David will react....David's ability and willingness to "thread the needle" puts even more pressure on a tired defense. In fact the defense tightens up so much they they lose the ability to react/cheat on defense....which results in more "back door" type easy scores....All of this is happening with a team that is still fresh. Did you notice that OU tried to ratchet up their defense to get back into it? How'd we react? We got E helping to get the ball up the court and being very patient forcing them to play their up tempo defense longer.....leading to their own demise. I don't think we're 100 % on offense yet, but we're darn good on D.

There's a new found respect for ZAGS defense out there and I think its gonna be a season long thing.....our guys seem to thrive on it. Our guys are making the switches so early on defense that the opponents are either not making the offensive switch or get out of rythym because of it.......HUGE KUDOS TO THE ZAGS COACHES....Well Done.

Pleasant Peninsula
11-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Granted, Pomeroy himself says take his early season rankings with a grain of salt, but still I love seeing where Gonzaga is ranked so far this season. #4 in the country overall, but most significantly #3 ranked in defensive efficiency behind only Louisville and Syracuse. I daresay a Zags team has never ranked that high on the defensive end of the tempo-free rankings, at any point in the year.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Granted, Pomeroy himself says take his early season rankings with a grain of salt, but still I love seeing where Gonzaga is ranked so far this season. #4 in the country overall, but most significantly #3 ranked in defensive efficiency behind only Louisville and Syracuse. I daresay a Zags team has never ranked that high on the defensive end of the tempo-free rankings, at any point in the year.

Hi,

Zags #23

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

The 2 best teams in the OSC field are in the Old Spice Final.

Best,
Val

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi,

Zags #23

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

The 2 best teams in the OSC field are in the Old Spice Final.

Best,
Val

Hi

http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

All in fun. :)

Val

MDABE80
11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
When nothing else works, defense and rebounding prevail....assuming to's are minimal.

bballbeachbum
11-24-2012, 11:40 AM
it's an excellent start! have to defensive rebound consistently from the 3 spot, whoever it is. I hope Kevin and David can keep up the long rebounding, it's key. the big guys can bang and pound and the depth is willing to mix it up, makes for a tough presence in the paint in its own way collectively so far

Vanzagger
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Keep up the hard work.