• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gozags99
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

Random List of Observations & Comments

1a Santa Clara is a legit squad with controlled, senior players and coaches.

1b I don't believe not having Josh is a good excuse for our loss. He would
    have made a big difference, yes, but I am not so certain we would have
    won.

1c You can rarely get away with spotting a team 13 points, even at home.

2. Nice comeback effort, especially on the defensive end.

3. Nice to see Pargo is confident shooting the 3-ball. I predict a HUGE
    season from him next year and then on to the NBA (yes a year early).

4. It is sad to see that PMAC is not confident shooting any ball. I really
    believe that if PMAC was awarded more time and minutes last year, he
    would be an excellent player today. I felt like he was so close to
    breaking out many times last season. It is not too late for him to turn
    the corner early next season.

5. Downs needs more minutes. I just like his presence on the court.

6. Zags seem to play MUCH better as a team when Matt Bouldin is on his
    game. Have they lost a game when he has played reasonably well and
    kept turnovers below 2?

7. Derek Ravio is the best free-throw shooter all time at Gonzaga.

8. Zags will need to win the WCC tournament to advance to the NCAA
    tournament, unless they have a VERY impressive showing against
    Memphis. People are also forgetting that Craig Littlepage, head of the
    selection committee, watched his Virginia club absolutely thrash the Zags.
    I firmly believe if we are in "bubble" condition, we are out because of Josh
    and the fact that we have at least 3 WCC losses.

9. Don't count a league conference title out yet. There is still a lot of
    basketball to be played and GU could still get at least a share of the title.
    SCU could have a major let-down loss at home at the end of conference.
    Sure, they beat us at our place, but we beat them at their house too.

10. In the big picture, Zags are still going to compete as a 1 or 2 seed in the
    WCC tournament, and it is in Portland. Maybe it will be good for this team
    to have to play with a sense of urgency. We saw a little of that from
    Derek and Shawn tonight.

11. The streak is over at 50. But think back to some of the games we barely
    won agains San Fran, St. Mary's, Loyola the past two seasons. It was
    really just a matter of time. We would not have won any of those
    without Adam.

12. Unless proven innocent, I really hope Gonzaga does not allow Josh to
    play the remainder of this season. I think it would be in bad taste if GU
    tried to get him back into the lineup for the tournament(s).

13. I was VERY discouraged with the KC in the first half tonight, but much
    better in the second half.

14. Bouldin MUST STOP that offensive move he tries to the baseline into
    double and sometimes triple coverage. He spins outside to the baseline
    to draw the defense, but it is too risky on that part of the floor. By
    the time he tries to kick it to an open man, he is in too sticky of a spot.
    I swear half of his turnovers come from that particular drive.

15. I think making it to the big dance is crucial to continued success for the
    program. I am not saying that one year out of the tournament would
    kill Gonzaga's future, but we need to keep the momentum going.

16. Tough night at the line. Rare for Gonzaga.

17. It is hard to watch the Zags without a true post game (and I did not
    consider Josh a true post game either) for the first time in a long time.
    Brown, Snyder, Hendrix, Calvary, Violette, Turiaf, Batista, ...???
    I hope we have a true presense next season.

18. The staff REALLY needs to establish a new set play besides Pargo 1-on-1
    from 30 feet out and 3.5 seconds left at the end of the half.

19. Look back to previous game scoring trackers. Gonzaga is absolutely
    terrible in the last 5 minutes of each half. One of the best teams
    around for the first 5 minutes of the second half.

20. Go Zags. I firmly believe much of this can be put to rest and we will all
    be able to relax if they find some way, somehow to make the tournament.

BUMP. Most excellent and well thought out post.

Comment

• beatProgram
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

99.99% in agreement with all of that. Right-o!

Comment

• Argentum
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Freethrows...

...were a killer tonight (without Derek we are in serious trouble), but like the ESPN guy observed it might have been a sign of the extra effort we were exerting throughout the game just to get back into it.

Comment

• HillBillyZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

What can I say? TONIGHT SCU was the better team.

But on the other hand, I hope the talking heads don't think the Zags are gone for good.As an old friend of mine use to say " There ain't never been a horse that could'nt be rode, and never been a cowboy who could'nt be throwed". Look at the Dukies, they are in as much hot water as the Zags, but just like us, they'll be back. Last night was Murphy's Law, but the Zag Saga is nowhere near done. As Father used to say: "To be continued".
          [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
          ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• NJZag
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gozags99 View Post

1a Santa Clara is a legit squad with controlled, senior players and coaches.

1b I don't believe not having Josh is a good excuse for our loss. He would
            have made a big difference, yes, but I am not so certain we would have
            won.

1c You can rarely get away with spotting a team 13 points, even at home.

5. Downs needs more minutes. I just like his presence on the court.

6. Zags seem to play MUCH better as a team when Matt Bouldin is on his
            game. Have they lost a game when he has played reasonably well and
            kept turnovers below 2?

13. I was VERY discouraged with the KC in the first half tonight, but much
            better in the second half.

16. Tough night at the line. Rare for Gonzaga.

20. Go Zags. I firmly believe much of this can be put to rest and we will all
            be able to relax if they find some way, somehow to make the tournament.
            Excellent post with astute observations. Singled out a few of them:

1a and 1b and 1c: I've been following SCU's season semi-closely after they won against Stanford. Two words summarize that team: "chopping wood." By that, I mean they are a squad that had deficiencies and unknowns at the beginning of their season, but their coaches and players just kept grinding away. Incremental improvements, practice-to-practice and game-to-game. Not enough threats from 3? They fixed it. Not enough consistency at the FT line? They fixed it. Problems with their bigs and tiredness? They fixed it with fine-tuned rotation schemes. Bit players? Unleashed even those. When a reserve like Joey Kaempf who got "recruited" from an SCU intra-mural squad goes hot from 3 in an important game (viz. 1c and some of that 13 point "spotting"), you just know that every cog in that machine is going to work of a particular night. I think JH being available for the game would have seen a narrower score and given the Zags a chance for lead changes by allowing it to be more "our game" than "their game." But the outcome as far as the "W" might still have been the same. This game is getting marked as a "win with an asterisk" for the Broncos by their hometown sports columnist at SJ Mercury News:

"With a hand in their face or a body in their path, the Zags couldn’t find their rhythm until there were 10 minutes left and SCU led by 17. SCU fans no doubt watched the game and thought their team won because it played great. Gonzaga fans probably watched and thought their team lost because it played awful. But it was — and always is in those instances — a combination.

"Speaking from Gonzaga’s perspective, I believe the Zags suffered from second-day Heytvelt Syndrome. You know how an all-nighter (or ridiculously early wake-up) never hits you that day, it hits you the next day — well, that’s kind of what happens to college basketball teams when they get hit with major, unexpected news such as injuries or suspensions. Running on energy and emotion, Gonzaga beat St. Mary’s on Saturday, a half-day after star forward Josh Heytvelt was arrested for suspicion of drug possession.

"But Monday, the Zags looked liked they had been hit with the full impact of Heytvelt’s suspension and accompanying distraction. They seemed dazed if not confused, out of sync on offense — like a big piece of them was missing.'

5. Agree completely. Interested to see what 4 days of practice going into the Memphis game presents as MD's "opportunity from adversity" ...

6. When Matt's "on" the team just runs better. He's working his way through freshman stuff (inconsistencies in game-to-game performance) and our expectations probably got pegged at his UNC performance as the baseline. Unrealistic expectations; very bright future.

13. This is going to be my one point of disagreement. The KC always gets critized in one form or another and since most of my game viewing is confined to TV and "what comes across" on it, some observations as I stick up for the KC.

KC was out in full force.
            KC stayed til the end.
            KC was standing but seemed to have the air progressively sucked out of it as the opening "run" found the Zags scoreless until SCU was already into double digits.

As a viewer and hoops fan, I find that "reaction" to be an indication that the KC (or other student groups of similar nature) is smart enough to actually be following the game.

I have always thought that student groups that "run up the noise level" at times in the game when bad things have just happened (opponents just scored) look like a bunch of "Cameron Crazies wannabes" -- mindless posers wanting only to mug for the TV cameras. Their giving up "noise" and "body movement" seems to work for the opponents. Distractive noise as opponent tries to set up on possession or is at FT line, fine. Supportive noise with defensive cheers or when Zags have possession, fine. But noise for the sake of noise, no. The current KC membership has never seen the Zags lose at home ... the current KC membership has never seen the Zags fail to rally back successfully ... think about that. It's been that long. People actually at the game can offer pointers (specifics, please) about what they think the KC "ought" to have been doing that was any different. But KC is A-OK in my book as a "wall of intimidation" that stayed standing, but did not come off on ESPN as a bunch of idiots appearing to be unaware of what they're seeing on the floor.

16. Major difference-maker. It was a sure sign, to me, of the "Syndrome" that the columnist talks about.

20. Amen.

Comment

• bigblahla
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Gee let's all hold hand with the Bronco's and play nice. Golly gosh we lost to a good team. Malarkey!!!!!

Is there any Testicular fortitude or brass ovaries on this make nice board?

I'm mad as hell!

It sucked last night, it sucks today and it will suck tomorrow.

I don't want to makee nice nice.

Go!! Zags!!!
              "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• NJZag
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Feb 2007

"Big":

You are a person ...

of uncommon erudition and creative writing skills:

possessed of amazing predictive abilities

willing to share interesting game plan suggestions. I’d be interested to hear how this option “might” have played out last night, however.

who is feeling frustration … and from awhile ago.

People react to disappointment in different ways. For some, that means a post-game review. This will always be a "Loss" with an asterisk, IMHO, which unfortunately ended the longest active streak in the nation.

NOBODY wanted to see that happen.

There's an unmoderated board for pure "venting" ...

Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, post your comments on how we lost to a REALLY REALLY BAD team. Which makes our team ... what? Worse than bad? I'm not prepared to go there, because I don't think it's true.

Comment

• bigblahla
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

"Otherwise, post your comments on how we lost to a REALLY REALLY BAD team. Which makes our team ... what? Worse than bad? I'm not prepared to go there, because I don't think it's true"

How about we lost to a less talented, better coached, better prepared team. Can you go there or are the blinders too thick!

Go!! Zags!!!
                  "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• NJZag
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post
                    "Otherwise, post your comments on how we lost to a REALLY REALLY BAD team. Which makes our team ... what? Worse than bad? I'm not prepared to go there, because I don't think it's true"

How about we lost to a less talented, better coached, better prepared team. Can you go there or are the blinders too thick!

Go!! Zags!!!
                    In other words, a team that's been "chopping wood" ? Blinders were never on for this game.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bigblahla View Post

Go!! Zags!!!
                      [sarcasm]
                      You are right Santa Clara is a horrible team... oh... wait... they have a better overall and better conference record than us.

But they haven't beaten the teams we have... oh... wait... they beat Stanford AT Stanford.

But yeah... they aren't nearly as good a team.
                      [/sarcasm]
                      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                      X