Big East to give birth to new Basketball conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SLOZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Big East to give birth to new Basketball conference?

Some writers considering the future of the Big East are saying:

"The simplest and cheapest [way to solve the friction existing between Big East football schools and non-football schools] would be to dissolve the Big East. And the basketball schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova -- have until July to exert control. ... The concept of the new basketball conference would include the seven Big East basketball castoffs plus some, if not all, of high-profile non-football schools such as Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s, Butler, Creighton, Xavier and Saint Louis."

Hmmmm. And to think I was about to start dogging BYU because of the MWC rumors.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy
  • Ekrub
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2009

Been seeing this on twitter the past few days but I think it's just wishful thinking

Comment

• gu03alum
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SLOZag View Post
      Some writers considering the future of the Big East are saying:

"The simplest and cheapest [way to solve the friction existing between Big East football schools and non-football schools] would be to dissolve the Big East. And the basketball schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova -- have until July to exert control. ... The concept of the new basketball conference would include the seven Big East basketball castoffs plus some, if not all, of high-profile non-football schools such as Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s, Butler, Creighton, Xavier and Saint Louis."

Hmmmm. And to think I was about to start dogging BYU because of the MWC rumors.
      I hope it happens. That sounds great. I would love to see Gonzaga in DC once a year.
      Bring back the OCC

Comment

• madzag
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

No way.

Regardle$$ of what some want, this is still COLLEGE basketball, and getting an education is important. Assorted cross-country travel is unavoidable (and a good thing) in non-conference, but even with the private jet, etc, etc, travelling all over the country for away games from Jan-March in addition to the Nov-Dec games is way too much time away from campus/the classroom.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them @ Villanova every year, but I'll hold out for non-con/tournaments/NCAAs in this neck of the woods.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

If GU joins this, the rest of their programs get thrown out of the WCC.
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• bigblahla
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Could call it The All American Conference or Coast to Coast Conference. Don't think the Zags are going anywhere though.

Go!! Zags!!!
            "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
              Administrator
              • Apr 2009

If Louisville, Cincy, and UCONN can find new conferences between now and next summer, I think the departure of the basketball schools is almost an inevitability. The new football schools will be playing in a weaker football league than the Mountain West or Conference USA and none of the new football school have any kind of basketball pedigree. Nobody with any prestige in either sport is going to be content to stay there and I think the better hoops teams will find a better league. I can see the hoops powers jumping ship to form some form of alliance with the A-10, CAA, or Conference USA, or just starting a new league entirely with a few additional members.

I don't think that Gonzaga or St. Mary's would be a good fit for that league.
              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• ZaginLaw
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

Dissolve

Dissolve the big east and create a Catholic League. GU vs GU every year, awesome...

Comment

• Cavebear33
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

I'm afraid I'm tradional when it comes to league affiliation. Any change should have to do with geography, not because a school is proficient in an individual sport. There's travel costs to consider as well. A prime example is Idaho in a league with Texas and Louisiana schools when it should be in the Big Sky where it belongs. Boise State in the Big East for football, give me a break! And it's ki-yote dammit - not ki-yoe-tee. Rant over.

Comment

• Zag 77
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

What about baseball, soccer, tennis, CC,

GU is not going to pay a $hitload of money to fly its teams all over the East coast all year long. Frankly that would be a disservice to the athletes as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X