PDA

View Full Version : early season press

BULLDOG#1
11-21-2012, 07:41 AM
the thing that worries me about all the great press the zags have been getting is that in the past few years when positive press has been dumped on the zags, they usually find a way to drop a couple of games.

I hope this is the year they can break out of that and crush the field at the old spice and earn their lofty ranking.

Seems like in the past the team has focused on the ranking and not on winning games. Maybe that was the makeup of those teams and this team is different and will handle the pressure much better.

This team does seems to work together and have crazy talent...

but all the praise, three home games in, does worry me...

jazzdelmar
11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
are you a doppelganger for BZer? :)

the thing that worries me about all the great press the zags have been getting is that in the past few years when positive press has been dumped on the zags, they usually find a way to drop a couple of games.

I hope this is the year they can break out of that and crush the field at the old spice and earn their lofty ranking.

Seems like in the past the team has focused on the ranking and not on winning games. Maybe that was the makeup of those teams and this team is different and will handle the pressure much better.

BULLDOG#1
11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
are you a doppelganger for BZer? :)

Nope, just makin' a comment. I do believe this team is different and will win the old spice.

MickMick
11-21-2012, 08:01 AM

I don't believe in Astrology and I don't believe that good or bad press affects the outcomes of games.

If there was no press at all, the players still know that they are beating teams by 30+ points. We will know their true character when they face some adversity.

We as fans need to see a close game where the Zags face some adversity. Of course there will be some associated hand wringing on these boards that will come with it, but so far, we have missed some critical aspects of the game. Clock management, foul management, situational awareness, situational substitution, and playing under pressure in a close game scenario are areas we need to witness.

cggonzaga
11-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Actually agree with you for a change Mick. Maybe there is something to this astrology thing.

HenneZag
11-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Great teams have to learn how to play with the pressure of press and high expectations. We have been here before as a program and just have to focus on each game and take care of business.

I agree we need to see games where we are fighting through adversity. It's easy to sit back and say how great our team is when we are blowing teams out, obviously we have a potent offense and an improved defense, but what happens when we play teams like Butler that can match our intensity, B-ball IQ and shooting ability etc...I am really looking forward to that game the most after watching them blow out NC.

Now that our schedule bumps up to the next tier in level of competition, we will get that much needed confirmation on the real talent level, and chemistry of our team, im looking forward to this.

cjm720
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
My hope is they kick ass because they know they should be ranked higher!

Play smart and we win the OSC.

Ekrub
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't believe in Astrology and I don't believe that good or bad press affects the outcomes of games.

If there was no press at all, the players still know that they are beating teams by 30+ points. We will know their true character when they face some adversity.

We as fans need to see a close game where the Zags face some adversity. Of course there will be some associated hand wringing on these boards that will come with it, but so far, we have missed some critical aspects of the game. Clock management, foul management, situational awareness, situational substitution, and playing under pressure in a close game scenario are areas we need to witness.

I'd prefer to take the 08-09 UNC route and just blow every team out.

Zagnailler
11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
The ZAgs need to approach the season like the Fighting Irish did in football. The most important game is the one in front of you. Therefore beat Clemson and then focus on the next opponent.

MickMick
11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd prefer to take the 08-09 UNC route and just blow every team out.

That would be nice, but it would also be nice to rehearse a few OT scenarios. You don't want to experience it for the first time in a critical game that impacts a conference title or elimination.

I'm sure they will get that opportunity soon enough.

tobizag
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM

please help me understand how it is you have come to know this information.

i can understand if someone made the case that in years past we may have not lived up to hype...even if i disagree, that's a question of simply measuring the hype vs the actual results of games. objective in nature.

what you have just posted suggests that players are consciously or subconsciously thinking "who cares if we win! we're highly ranked and people talk about us!"

if i could have one thing for christmas, it would be the cessation of speculative insinuations and overall malarkey that gets tossed about on this board, as if anyone knows what a player's motivation/state of mind is.

BULLDOG#1
11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
please help me understand how it is you have come to know this information.

i can understand if someone made the case that in years past we may have not lived up to hype...even if i disagree, that's a question of simply measuring the hype vs the actual results of games. objective in nature.

what you have just posted suggests that players are consciously or subconsciously thinking "who cares if we win! we're highly ranked and people talk about us!"

if i could have one thing for christmas, it would be the cessation of speculative insinuations and overall malarkey that gets tossed about on this board, as if anyone knows what a player's motivation/state of mind is.

I know because I am omnipotent...

Come on, of course those teams didn't 'who cares' the games -- what I meant was that we seem to drop games when the rankings are lofty (an actual measure of hype vs game results), but I'm not suggesting it's a result of a 'who cares' attitude, but rather it could be a result of extra pressure taking toll.

I think most players do notice and think about the rankings, and it's bound to have a level of impact on the game. That's not speculative malarkey, it's just a matter of human nature. Some teams will have a makeup that's going to crumble under the pressure, some thrive on it.

DADoZAG
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I know because I am omnipotent...

You can get pills for that. ;)

Go ZAGS!