• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zags11
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Game Thoughts?

It started out very sloppy imo. After the slow start, we turned it up and wiped the floor. What i LIKED is we shot over 50% from the field and over 35% from 3 point range. We outrebounded them by 30+.

I was upset again by our poor free throw shooting....again.If, we continue this when a game is tight, we will end up with a fat L.

Other then that, Elias harris was a stud. Simply put. Bell and Karn had nice games too. (Would like more rebounds by karn) Dower had a solid game too. Drag was pretty good, some dumb turnovers but he is a freshman. Edi had his worst offensive game this yr.

Overall, its another 30+ win...so can't complain much. Im ready for the tourny this week.

Side note-Fox doesnt like our small guard lineup it seems vs the better teams. (agree with certain players) Thoughts on game and fox?
  • allnet59
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Dec 2009

Ugly free throw shooting.

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Gray'sAnatomy
      Harris was out of his mind on the boards,Bell & Karnowski played well, Pangos has been much less consistent this year so far, Hart can shoot.

watching this team shoot free throws is painful. This must be remedied.
      In all honesty, Our weakness seems to be Free Throw shooting. It can and will cost us in a tight game. We must fix this. That is the true weakness I see so far.

The Defense has been awesome.

Comment

• Sarenyon
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Free Throws! After that, take better care of the ball, got a bit sloppy.
        GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• TacomaZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

Couple of things........

First the real obvious one, ATROCIOUS FT shooting. That needs to get cleaned up in a hurry or it will kill us against the better teams. Second, as Richard Fox alluded to during the game regarding small guards, KP and Stocks should NEVER, repeat, NEVER be on the floor at the same time. Nothing against either guy, but there is absolutely no competitive advantage to be gained with those two guys on the floor together. With Draino starting to get more comfortable on the floor, Stocks role, his only role, should be to spell KP for 3-4 minutes at a time. Even worse, the "muchkin" lineup of KP, Stocks, and GBJ shouel NEVER be utilized.

Enough with the negatives. I thought Elias played really well, especially with his level of effort throughout the game. I really like Karno's game by game improvement, same with Draino. Also, Dower seemed to get it going tonight, unlike the other games this year. I can't wait to get Kelly back, to see what he brings.

The season really starts on Thanksgiving. I can't wait.........

Go ZAGS

Comment

• Rangerzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
            Side note-Fox doesnt like our small guard lineup it seems vs the better teams. (agree with certain players) Thoughts on game and fox?
            Fox was answering when questioned if it is too early to expect this team to make a really deep ncaa run.
            "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
            "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
            I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• zaguarxj
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Looking at the box-score. Karnowski 9-10 FGs in 19 minutes? Not too bad big fellow! GBJ continues to assert himself. Another 30+ point win. Good stuff.

Comment

• bostonzagfan
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Oct 2011

re: free throw shooting

focus can come and go during blowouts. in a legit game let's see how they shoot from the line. blowing a team out can lend to lack of concentration at the line imo

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                  • Mar 2008

Don't know what is impeding your observational skills greyanatomy with making statement mr pangos is not as consistent this year as was last year because I see an improved player
                  Shooting 53% so far versus 43% last year
                  4.5 assist p game so far ths year. 3.4 last year
                  2.5 steals per game this year vs 1.2 last year
                  1 turnover per game so far this year vs. 1.8 last year

Down 2.1 points per game so far but scoring has not been an issue for this team so far and you need to balance that with 3 shots less per game taken this year compared to last year ( which is 3 points @ 50% shooting thus average push out to increase f .9 over last year) and playing 10 minutes a game less than last year

He has increased his consistent stellar play with less time on the court
                  The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

anytime a team logs 20 assists, that's a very good stat. Also, +38 rebs margin is going to = win.

Some key contributions:

-- Pangos with 6 assists & only 1 TO (10 pts too). Seemed dazed for a few mins after hard foul and missed a few shots early.

-- Elias with 18 rebs, not to mention 16 pts.

-- Someway, somehow Karnowski was the leading scorer with 20 pts on 9-10 FG. Still not shooting FT's at a high enough level, allowing others to rebound by taking up space everywhere.

-- Mike Hart with 9 rebs in 15 mins.

-- Dower with a quietly solid game. 12 pts, 9 hard fought rebs, & 0 TO's (which is nice surprise for him)

-- Stocks with 6 stls. Scrappy play on defense. Still needs to cut down his TO's and improve his FT shooting in game situations.

-- Dranginis continually passing the "eye test" even sans big stats. sweet handles, smart moves, tenacious offensive player, and used his length to his advantage on both sides of court.

-- Gary Bell doing. it. all. Beautiful moves to get in the lane and displaying his new-found mid-range game and floaters. really changing it up and becoming dynamic and unguardable, imo. he can pass, handle, shoot, dribble-drive, and of course, defend. He's the kind of player who would be a Top-5 pick in NBA if he were 6'5", I'll take his 6'1" self all day long at GU. Very fortunate to have a player of his caliber. all around terrific talent who receive even more mins than he's receiving...he's averaging around 24 mpg this season = not nearly enough. 36+ like now.
                    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                      Don't know what is impeding your observational skills greyanatomy with making statement mr pangos is not as consistent this year as was last year because I see an improved player
                      Shooting 53% so far versus 43% last year
                      4.5 assist p game so far ths year. 3.4 last year
                      2.5 steals per game this year vs 1.2 last year
                      1 turnover per game so far this year vs. 1.8 last year

Down 2.1 points per game so far but scoring has not been an issue for this team so far and you need to balance that with 3 shots less per game taken this year compared to last year ( which is 3 points @ 50% shooting thus average push out to increase f .9 over last year) and playing 10 minutes a game less than last year

He has increased his consistent stellar play with less time on the court
                      Bell playing better is making Pangos better, which will make Bell better, which will make Pangos better, until infinite feedback destroys the universe.

Comment

• DCZag
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Aug 2009

Nice win - we were impressive on the glass.

4-15 on FTs and 16 TOs. Gotta clean both of those up going fwd if the team is going to realize its potential.

Bring on Clemson!

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                          • Mar 2008

I agree but also submit for thought that the increased offensive optin f slashing and offensive rebounding by edi has created unique defensive options as it pertains to defending pangos in that so far this year with edi showing ability take hole and active threat for offensive boards defenders n the ball have to provide straight up play because the help we saw against pango can no longer be as aggressive o simply focus on pango or bell
                          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Zags11
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Rangerzag View Post
                            Fox was answering when questioned if it is too early to expect this team to make a really deep ncaa run.
                            He also is anti our small guard lineup. He answered that truthfully.

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Pretty much agree with all that has been said so far. It was so good to see Harris play so well. I'm pulling for him to be an All American this year. This was a good step. PK continues to be impressive IMO. How many games he led the team in scoring now? I think all three. wow!!! and I thought Dower played well too. Our front court showed it's strength this afternoon.

Dranginis continues to impress.

Just one complaint...fts
                              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X