PDA

View Full Version : Stanford 17 Oregon 14, Final OT

CDC84
11-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Going into tonight's game vs. Stanford, the Ducks had only attempted 9 field goals all year....the majority of those during garbage time. Despite the low pressure situations, Rob Beard could only connect on 4 of 8 and was benched in favor of Alejandro Maldonado who failed miserably in tonight's loss.

Chip's system attracts big time recruits, wins a lot of games and makes the stat gurus salivate, but I have to wonder at this point if it is a national championship winning formula. Sooner or later you are going to face a defense that is going shut down those 4th down attempts, and your special teams needs to make big plays. This is especially the case with the kicking game.

I don't know what decent kicker in his right mind would commit to Oregon when he knows that he's basically never going to kick field goals, and many times won't get to kick extra points. And even if Chip is able to land a decent guy, how could you possibly expect the guy to come through during pressure situations when he has almost zero experience?

229SintoZag
11-19-2012, 03:43 PM
And it's a shame. Oregon's system is a circus. Yes, they run up the score on most opponents and its all about the show and pizazz and all that. But it seems like this happens to them every year.

Oregon players are fast, quick, agile, dynamic, etc.

I'm not sure they are tough. Certainly not sure they are tough mentally, where they have the fortitude to gut out close games in tight situations.

I think this is also part of the reason they so often lose their bowl games. When a team has six weeks to prepare for the gimmicky Oregon schemes, they seem to be able to shut it down pretty well.

Stanford's defense was stellar and I take no credit away from them in this win. Other Pac 12 coaches should study this file to see how they shut Oregon down. Holding them to 14 points when they averaged something like 45 a game is impressive and it shows that a proper defense well executed can and will shut Oregon down, especially if you are like Stanford and all about ball control and clock management and just old fashioned hard nosed smash mouth football.

siliconzag
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Stanford played a nearly perfect game. When critical offensive plays were needed to sustain drives, they converted. Oregon's blown final pass play where the receiver cut to the inside and the pass went to the outside was a microcosm of the entire game. The Ducks failed to execute on all aspects of the game. Stanford's defense was better, so was their offense, and so was their kicking. I hope the Beavers studied the game films. Now that the gig is officially up, I wouldn't mind seeing the good folks of Corvallis snap the streak. Go Beavers!