PDA

View Full Version : Official Signing Announcement

Angelo Roncalli
11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
SPOKANE, Wash. (November 14, 2012 – http://www.gozags.com) – Gonzaga University’s men’s basketball team added two more big men to the fold Wednesday when 7-1, 300-pound Ryan Edwards out of Glacier High in Kalispell, Mont., and 6-8, 200-pound forward Lucas Meikle (pronounced ME-cul) from Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma, Wash., signed letters-of-intent to join the Bulldogs next fall.
The Bulldogs currently have a pair of 7-footers who will return next season in 7-0 Kelly Olynyk and 7-1 Przemek Karnowski. Olynyk will be a senior next fall while Karnowski will be only a sophomore. Sam Dower, a 6-9 center, is another big who is a junior this season.
Edwards averaged 13 points and 11 rebounds last season in helping Glacier to the Western League title. The Wolfpack advanced to the semifinals of the Montana State AA Tournament before losing to eventual state champion Flathead 63-58. Edwards had 23 points and 10 rebounds against Flathead. He earned Class AA All-State honors.
He averaged 13.3 ppg, and led the state with 10.7 rpg and 3.0 blocks/game as a junior with season highs of 24 points, 20 rebounds and 9 blocks.
“Ryan is a big guy that has great hands and a really good skill set. He shot about 78 percent from the line, so when he gets fouled he can make free throws. He needs to change his body and has had a personal trainer since July so he is working on that. It’s hard to find a guy who is 7-foot with good hands and a soft ball,” Gonzaga head coach Few said.
Assistant coach Ray Giacoletti said Edwards reminds him of former University of Washington standout Todd MacCulloch who Giacoletti recruited when on the staff at Washington. McCulloch played four seasons in the NBA.
“Ryan never played AAU ball. He reminds me of McCulloch in that regard. Ryan is probably further ahead at the same time in their careers because Ryan’s skill package is probably a little bit better,” Giacoletti said.
Entering the current season, Glacier has won back-to-back Western League titles and has made four straight State AA Tournament appearances under head coach Mark Harkins. His sophomore season Glacier lost its first two games at the State AA Tournament, including a season-ending 46-44 overtime contest to Missoula-Sentinel.
Meikle averaged 14.0 points and 10.0 rebounds for Bellarmine Prep as a junior, the Lions advancing to the Washington State 4A Tournament semifinals and placing fifth. The Lions opened State 4A Tournament play with a 66-50 victory over Mount Rainier in their first State appearance since 2008. Meilke suffered a concussion early in the first quarter in the placing-game setback to Union. He was named to the All-Tournament team, was a first-team All-Narrows League selection for the 24-5 Lions and was named to The News Tribune’s (Tacoma) All-Area squad.
“Lucas is a skilled four-man who is able to trail the break and shoot the three,” Few said. “His best days are ahead of him once his body matures physically. He’s skilled and a hard worker, two great attributes.”
Meilke was also recruited by Pacifci-12 Conference schools University of Washington, Washington State University and the University of California among others.

kclubfounder
11-14-2012, 03:56 PM
As a big Husky fan until things got too chippy between us, I LOVED Todd MacCulloch. If Edwards becomes another Todd MacCulloch then the staff just struck gold once again.

For the record, I now HATE Husky basketball (but love the football team).

gu03alum
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
As a big Husky fan until things got too chippy between us, I LOVED Todd MacCulloch. If Edwards becomes another Todd MacCulloch then the staff just struck gold once again.

For the record, I now HATE Husky basketball (but love the football team).

That pretty much sums up my relationship with UW.

Kiddwell
11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Meikle, a 6-8 guy who can hit the three??? :D Speaking of threes, he was recruited by three Pac-12 teams? Doesn't say how hard they recruited him, but still...that fact deserves another cheesy :D .

And the last cheesy :D is reserved for the fact the Zags will have three 7-FOOTERS on scholarship next year (thank you, Ryan Edwards).

:]

<Now the staff needs to come up with another sparkling Elias Harris!>

MickMick
11-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Wow.

Zags will rotate bigs for the forseeable future.

kitzbuel
11-15-2012, 02:55 AM
Congratulations and welcome to both these gentlemen. I hope they both have lots of continued success!

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/preps/files/2012/11/20318_518040761541473_488405488_n-480x358.jpg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/dailyinterlake.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/7e/97e9be2a-2eba-11e2-883c-0019bb2963f4/50a435dc32227.image.jpg

JAGzag
11-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Seems pretty crowded down low all of a sudden - think the staff knows anything about the Big Pole coming back next year??

cjm720
11-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Seems pretty crowded down low all of a sudden - think the staff knows anything about the Big Pole coming back next year??

Nothing a red shirt season couldn't handle.

zagzilla
11-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Welcome aboard fellas. Hope you have great careers at GU and get a good education.

ZZ

PS. Can somebody identify the kids in the last picure? I reckon the tall one is Ryan and I think that Meikle is wearing a Colorado shirt. Who's the kid wearing an Idaho shirt (Ryan's little brother maybe?) and why aren't they both rocking Zags wear in the kennel?

northsidezagfan
11-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Welcome aboard fellas. Hope you have great careers at GU and get a good education.

ZZ

PS. Can somebody identify the kids in the last picure? I reckon the tall one is Ryan and I think that Meikle is wearing a Colorado shirt. Who's the kid wearing an Idaho shirt (Ryan's little brother maybe?) and why aren't they both rocking Zags wear in the kennel?

The kid in the CSU shirt is Logan Iverson, who signed to play golf there, and the other is Ryan Porch who will golf at Idaho. They are all from Glacier High and signed their letters on the same day.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/local_montana/article_3a562fea-2ef2-11e2-a1db-001a4bcf887a.html

hooter73
11-15-2012, 09:38 AM
If Edwards works as hard on his skills during his red shirt year as he has worked (reportedly) over the last year at getting into shape, we are going to be very lucky to have him aboard.

aflac4life
11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
St. Mary's letters of intent: Calvin Hermanson, F, Lake Oswego, Cullen Neal, G, Eldorado, Albq, N.M., Dane Pineau, F, Melbourne, Australia

ZagNative
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
A bit of a blurb about Edwards and Meikle's signing in highlight video from SWX (http://www.swxrightnow.com/category/160222/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=7963259#.UKVG5N3QLl0.twitter).

zag67
11-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Also remember that we have Coleman coming off his redshirt. That to me makes a very solid recruiting class for next year (without getting anyone else). We would be solid at every position and have a good set of reserves to work with them at every position.

Then we need to start looking for the following years. Because the next year we lose bigs plus some reserves and the following year we lose our super set of guards plus wing.