PDA

View Full Version : Almost enough to make me a Santa Clara fan.

beatProgram
02-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I think its entirely possible that I just don't like this Gonzaga team at all.

With exception of about 8 minutes worth of play that was without a doubt one of the worst executed, poorly played, badly coached, lazy-lolligaging, unfocused games of basketball I've ever witnessed Gonzaga take part in.

Am I missing something here? There were times when only Pendo looked like he'd ever played a minute of organized basketball in his life, and the rest of the team had just been forced away from chess club to take part in curriculum required gym class.

This team is supposed to have talent, great recruits, excellent coaching, etc.

I get the feeling the GU basketball program would be better off going back to recruiting the on-nobody's-radar also-rans who at least take the time to show up to the game.

Yikes.

TM27
02-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Dont let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-12-2007, 11:03 PM
But welcome to the world of Jesuit education...doesn't mean you're right in your opinion, just entitled to it.

You'll feel better in the morning - I promise;)

sullyzag66
02-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I'd even buy you some SCU gear if you take the next bus leaving.

royzag
02-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't let the bandwagon run you over....

beatProgram
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't get it.

Free throws wouldn't drop. The entire first half had 2 out of 5 guys in any motion on the floor at any given time.

Hardly any play was pushed with dribble penetration with a kick out when the defense collapsed.

Raivio, before becoming the only player to score for several possessions, yet again drove the lane in a situation where there was no hole. He threw the ball without looking at the hoop and it pegged off the bottom of the backboard.

In what universe did Mallon and Pendo become our outside 3pt threat!?!?!

They played this PHENOMENAL stretch of high-intensity high-pressure basketball that was INCREDIBLY effective, forcing turnover after turnover, and then out of nowhere they just gave up and let SC control the tempo again. Let them set their offense with only a few minutes left without hardly contesting the ball. ?!?!?

Worse still is that they seemed to only show up to play when the deficit was damn near out of reach for recovery.

Now don't get me wrong. Santa Clara was completely unconcious from outside the arc, and they stuck on Raivio like white on rice most of the time. I've seen few teams cover the entire half of the court so quickly and effectively on defense as I saw Santa Clara do tonight when switching in and out of the double-team situation.

What I don't get is WE KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO DOUBLE-TEAM Raivio every time he has the ball, yet instead of keeping the offense in motion and punishing them for it we've got 3-4 other players essentially standing around waiting to see what happens!!!!

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright. I feel better. Whiskey, bed, skiing. Then I'll be ready for Memphis.

TexasZagFan
02-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Alright. I feel better. Whiskey, bed, skiing. Then I'll be ready for Memphis.

Does that mean you're back on the bandwagon? ;)

I'm not ready to wax philosophical about our season just yet. What I'd like to see is controlled fury for 40 minutes, just leave everything on the court, and let's see what happens.

Pressure's off, IMO: home streak's done, no chance of being ranked before the Dance, and we're two days removed from a mentally debilitating episode.

Bring's up a question: should these last four games be all about finding a scheme/identity/rotation for the WCC tournament?

What should that scheme be? I vote for 40 minutes of hell (press 'til they puke, then press some more). On offense, why not try giving Derek the ball, and clear out the court for him to go one-on-one? I thought he was pretty effective in the second half.

WallaWallaZag
02-13-2007, 12:01 AM
our success the rest of the season depends on bouldin playing at a high level consistently and for micah downs to break out...neither happened, and we didn't match the defensive intensity we showed against st.mary's

TexasZagFan
02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
our success the rest of the season depends on bouldin playing at a high level consistently and for micah downs to break out...neither happened, and we didn't match the defensive intensity we showed against st.mary's

The youth and inexperience of this team, combined with inconsistent performances from our seniors, have all contributed to this year's roller coaster ride.

Could this be a team that regains its mojo at just the right time? Stranger things have happened.