PDA

View Full Version : K Club Kudos

primal23
11-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Yes, you heard a "Bob wants Wendy's" chant. That one was started by one of the students in the crowd, and the reason you weren't sure you heard it right is because only 50% of the students were actually comfortable saying it. I think those were the 50% who actually understand that Bob is one of the best coaches in the country.

I LOVED the "Bob wants Wendy's" chant. :roll: And great job all around Kennel Club!

77Zag
11-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Gotta say, they were loud and engaged -- at least from the TV perspective.
Also hats off to the leaders -- students stayed until the end. Maybe some new rules and quality leadership?
Gotta love..."up by thirty!!!"
Keep it up students!!

Go Zags!

IrishZagFan
11-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Agreed! 5 stars! Love seeing the students still going strong to the end!

ZagnetitForce
11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
I just wanted to give the KC a HUGE thank you for thier performance last night! They were awesome from tip to final buzzer. Even when it was "over" they were still loud and active.

Oh, and I saw ZaGranny just miss getting a tee shirt!

TacomaZAG
11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
by the Kennel Club last night. Loved the "up by 30" and "you have 2 points" stuff. Plus ESPN loves to show the K-Club antics on TV. Great exposure for the school and the students. Love the Tent City for the first real game.

Way to represent, K-Club. Keep it up.

Go ZAGS

BeamerZag
11-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Agreed. "You have 2 points" was pretty hilarious. Anyone understand why they are all wearing costumes nowadays? Teletubbies and penguins and other strange creatures?

Oh, and can I just say the "We are GU!" chant in the middle of Zombie Nation is just about the koolest addition any student section has made to what we do ever. Gives me chills everytime

GoGU
11-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks for all the support. I had a great time last night and I know I'm not the only person who has no voice this morning. We know that the Kennel wouldn't be the same without that atmosphere and we are proud to carry on the tradition that many of you helped create.

<beef>
Now if the marketing department is going to all that trouble and expense to provide t-shirts to "Paint the Kennel Red," can we at least make sure that more than 50% of the fans actually wear them? </beef>

Pargo the Destroyer
11-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Agreed. "You have 2 points" was pretty hilarious. Anyone understand why they are all wearing costumes nowadays? Teletubbies and penguins and other strange creatures?

Oh, and can I just say the "We are GU!" chant in the middle of Zombie Nation is just about the koolest addition any student section has made to what we do ever. Gives me chills everytime

They wear them because they can. It stands out. Just like the chick wearing the american flag tights, and the wonderwoman tights.

GoGU
11-13-2012, 08:17 AM

The costumes aren't really an official addition or anything. I think that we just started wearing them because it shows how "Krazy" we are or something. ;)

The "We are GU" chant was added because a lot of other schools have started doing Zombie Nation (not every game like we do, but as an energizer during timeouts, etc.). We wanted to make sure we could keep it unique to Gonzaga.

ridgebackzag
11-13-2012, 08:17 AM
The Kennel Club has gotten a lot of flak since the school has started approving the chants and such. Now I think it's time for the season ticket holders and any other folks that can't be bothered to stand up and cheer to start getting chastised. Have some fun or give me your tickets!

Zag@LMU
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the support. I had a great time last night and I know I'm not the only person who has no voice this morning. We know that the Kennel wouldn't be the same without that atmosphere and we are proud to carry on the tradition that many of you helped create.

<beef>
Now if the marketing department is going to all that trouble and expense to provide t-shirts to "Paint the Kennel Red," can we at least make sure that more than 50% of the fans actually wear them? </beef>

Same. My voice is completely shot. Oh well, all I care is that it's back in time for Sundays matinee.

BeamerZag
11-13-2012, 08:22 AM
I agree. I think sometimes the rest of the crowd gets too much criticism. But it's important to remember you are just as important as the Kennel Club. In big games we need to really show these guys they have our support and when they are struggling we will continue to cheer

sittingon50
11-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Stayed engaged 'til the end. Nice job!

pbriz
11-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Did I catch a "We want Wendy's chant" followed by a "Bob want's Wendy's chant" or was that just my crappy ESPN3 connection?

The "you have 2 points' chant was loud and the whole nation heard that one.

Nice job KC.

GoGU
11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Did I catch a "We want Wendy's chant" followed by a "Bob want's Wendy's chant" or was that just my crappy ESPN3 connection?

The "you have 2 points' chant was loud and the whole nation heard that one.

Nice job KC.

Yes, you heard a "Bob wants Wendy's" chant. That one was started by one of the students in the crowd, and the reason you weren't sure you heard it right is because only 50% of the students were actually comfortable saying it. I think those were the 50% who actually understand that Bob is one of the best coaches in the country.

ezcure17
11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Awesome job guys!!! It makes the game that more enjoyable when the WHOLE crowd is going crazy!! We love the chants...great!!! Keep up the great work cause its going to be a fun and exciting season this year!! Stay crazy and do more of the arm waving, airrrrrrrrballlllll, and pointing at players..it really gets in their heads!!

GoGU
11-13-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree. I think sometimes the rest of the crowd gets too much criticism. But it's important to remember you are just as important as the Kennel Club. In big games we need to really show these guys they have our support and when they are struggling we will continue to cheer

I'd like to point out that two of our biggest games this year (Baylor and St. Mary's) are during Winter Break and most students won't be able to attend. We REALLY need the crowd to step it up in those games. I've seen several people on this board state that students should just "figure it out" and get to the games anyway, but I'm here to tell you that the university isn't making it easy. I'm going to be sleeping on someone's floor for the three nights between the St. Mary's game and when the residence halls open again the next Sunday.

007Zag
11-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Kennel Club did a great job last night. I for one love the costumes--adds a what-the-hell? element of intimidation.

Zag@LMU
11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
I'd like to point out that two of our biggest games this year (Baylor and St. Mary's) are during Winter Break and most students won't be able to attend. We REALLY need the crowd to step it up in those games. I've seen several people on this board state that students should just "figure it out" and get to the games anyway, but I'm here to tell you that the university isn't making it easy. I'm going to be sleeping on someone's floor for the three nights between the St. Mary's game and when the residence halls open again the next Sunday.

I'm surprised there aren't some powerful boosters who could convince them to open the dorms early.

zagmantis2001
11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
I have to agree-the Kennel Club was fantastic last night. Liked the chant "you should forfeit" in the second half.

Zag@LMU
11-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I have to agree-the Kennel Club was fantastic last night. Liked the chant "you should forfeit" in the second half.

Not sure if you heard it, but our half started singing "Take me home, country roads" by John Denver, which is played before every WVU football game. That was probably my favorite.

hooter73
11-13-2012, 11:22 AM
WVU message boards had a few nice snippets talking about the high school chants that the KC were doing. Made me chuckle considering we were playing a high school team last night.

Zag@LMU
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
WVU message boards had a few nice snippets talking about the high school chants that the KC were doing. Made me chuckle considering we were playing a high school team last night.

Saw that one. The one of the posts were

"You know you're getting beat to a bloody pulp when your fans resort to criticizing the cheers of the Gonzaga student section. Lol."

Which drew immediate agreement.

zag944
11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Watched some Pac 12 "basketball" yesterday and it just made me appreciate the Kennel Club that much more. It's really silly how often threads pop up on this board about how lame they were for this game or that one. One of the best student sections in the nation, easily.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM

This makes me sick. 2 HUGE home games, scheduled during the break. Lets be honest. The kennel minus the students isnt the same. Props to those students who stay during the break and go to the game.

Ekrub
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM
As I said in the other thread, I love the borderline innapropriate chants. Bob wants Wendy's was awesome. Kudos to that student. :)

zagmantis2001
11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Last year during the break there were a small contingent of students that were great. I remember that they started singing Christmas carols when the other team was shooting free-throws which was pretty funny.

KCBoard
11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
So this is the KC's first time officially posting on GUBoards, so we are pretty stoked on that! I'm glad everyone liked the Bob loves Wendy's Chant and I am so stoked that the KC was as loud and proud as I have ever heard it during my time here at GU. As far the games over break, we are trying to get as many people back (goal is 800) for the SMC game. For the Baylor game, not many students will be back, so we need the fans to be extra loud during that game.
Thanks guys for the support,
GO ZAGS
Connor
KC Prez

Pargo the Destroyer
11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
So this is the KC's first time officially posting on GUBoards, so we are pretty stoked on that! I'm glad everyone liked the Bob loves Wendy's Chant and I am so stoked that the KC was as loud and proud as I have ever heard it during my time here at GU. As far the games over break, we are trying to get as many people back (goal is 800) for the SMC game. For the Baylor game, not many students will be back, so we need the fans to be extra loud during that game.
GO ZAGS
Connor
KC Prez

+1

Loving Gangnam Style before Zombie Nation.

77Zag
11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
GO ZAGS
Connor
KC Prez

Connor, keep up the good work.
what are the chances the dorms will be available --my daughter and her roomates will get back for the SMC game if so. By then it will be time for her to get out of the house!!

KCBoard
11-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Unfortunately the dorms won't be open by then, maybe stay in a hotel close to campus or a friend who lives off campus??

johno
11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
If you are a nice looking college girl and need a free place to stay off campus, in order to attend the basketball games please PM me!:D

zag944
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
+1

Loving Gangnam Style before Zombie Nation.

Me too. The AC/DC song was good, but it reminded me of a certain NBA team which also plays it before every tipoff. And that made me sad.

Zag@LMU
11-14-2012, 01:08 PM
The twitter nation noticed also:

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/E5B1CFD9-7564-43F2-B575-96A2A4B44D37-7495-0000021FE1510478.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/35FD59DA-8207-4B8F-91DF-3CC98EFD60BC-7495-0000021FDCAF7C3E.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/5B519468-F21B-4CC1-A157-5ECC480E196E-7495-0000021FD8470EDA.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/AD7E69B1-350E-48E3-84B9-9C639511E7F1-7495-0000021FD410F64E.jpg

Zag@LMU
11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/5174EA3C-6DF6-4861-88EE-76199C059F2D-7495-0000021FCFE593A0.jpg

Notice that these are nation wide messages, not a single one is affiliated with GU in any way

Zag@LMU
11-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Me too. The AC/DC song was good, but it reminded me of a certain NBA team which also plays it before every tipoff. And that made me sad.

We still do thunderstruck, gangnam style took the place of party rock anthem from last season.

Pargo the Destroyer
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I liked when they played bring em out by T.I., but they didnt use the edited version. Hence it being pulled (I assume). Like that much better than thunderstruck

Zag@LMU
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
A few more. Most are from the east coast, one is a beat writer for KU

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/B06A8A86-3D12-4B7E-8E8C-0288A25634A0-7684-00000232CEE49BBE.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj503/Zags1/B439AE72-9A8A-47EA-9D0E-8EC4812BC4E8-7684-00000232C9F4C4CA.jpg

Zag 77
11-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Not to worry. The mighty old farts will man the KC section with gusto as always while the students are gone. Just get us some KC shirts and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Somebody get us those big heads of the players to wave around.

Just watch us bounce when the play Zombie Nation.

rennis
11-14-2012, 02:07 PM
GO ZAGS
Connor
KC Prez

Keep up the good work!

If you guys need "assistance" for the SMC game, some of us former KC Alum would love to help you. Get me a ticket, and I'll Gangam/Zombie/Berate with the best of you, I promise.

:pray:

ID ZAGFAN
11-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Not to worry. The mighty old farts will man and woman the KC section with gusto as always while the students are gone. Just get us some KC shirts and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

I vote for this! I want the Kelly Olynk big head :pray::pray::pray:

ZaGranny

Zag@LMU
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Keep up the good work!

If you guys need "assistance" for the SMC game, some of us former KC Alum would love to help you. Get me a ticket, and I'll Gangam/Zombie/Berate with the best of you, I promise.

:pray:

I think that is a great idea. Open up the remaining student section seats to recent alum. Too bad the higher ups would never go for it, seeing that they could just sell the tickets instead.

DixieZag
11-14-2012, 02:38 PM
The fact that the SMC game is scheduled while the students are gone shakes the most primal conspiracy theory bone in my body concerning the WCC and scheduling.

Any home team is hurt by a game played without the students on campus.

But, the Zags are hurt much more b/c they are soooo good at what they do that they become very much a part of the game and can be very intimidating. I am certainly not saying that the KC could intimidate Delly, but some freshman 6th man who gets off to a bad start, that is the type of player that can be totally lobotomized by the KC.

We will just have to make due with Baylor - - we scheduled them to come here and did it knowing what the situation would be, also allows some more locals to see a great game so I am fine with that. SMC v. GU is perhaps the best rivalry on the west coast in BB and it isn't the same without students in force. From an "optics" perspective alone the WCC should try to ensure that the marque game is played during school at both campuses.

Ok, now that I have my conspiracy theory and over reaction out of the way, I think it is a great idea to have the board/season ticket holders organize to provide a warm, safe, and friendly place to stay for a few days, I suspect both sides would enjoy the experience and compare GU experiences. There truly is an opportunity to make lemonade out of this lemon and I am glad to see the conversation begin now in time to plan.

Great job KC, take it to another level, never be satisfied.

sittingon50
11-14-2012, 06:06 PM
As much as I like to see folks who normally can't get in get in, it would be great for old KC'er's to get in. Do they keep records of former members? Let them call in for a ticket & then make them wear one of their old shirts (no matter how uncomfortably tight they may be).

Sounds like the KC is rallying for SMC.

Old KC'er's for the Baylor game?

ZagsGoZags
11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
The Kennel Club so far seems significantly louder and more creative than the average of several seasons past.

When I have attended GU games at the Spokane Arena, it seemed like most of the crowd cheered mightily.

In the last three years I have only been able to sit among the season ticket holders once. When I behaved exactly like the kennel club I felt the social pressure to calm down. Honestly, the polite clapping exhibited by these so-called fans reminded me of people clapping in church because the choir sang a nice song. Crowd support for the Kennel club is usually above 8 on a scale of 10. Everywhere else in the building is a 2 or 3. Light night and day. The bums of these older fans rise out of their seats far more often to go buy things than to get up and cheer.

Reborn
11-15-2012, 05:19 AM
This thread is AWESOME!!! The KC is AWESOME!!! Keep the fire burning!!!

gozagswoohoo
11-15-2012, 05:37 AM
I could always help fill in some empty KC seats while the students are away!

:-)

PLEASE!?!?!?

77Zag
11-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Not to worry. The mighty old farts will man the KC section with gusto as always while the students are gone. Just get us some KC shirts and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Sounds great, but not too sure about the "bouncing" part -- could be ugly! Something tells me the "old farts" have more to bounce and someone could get hurt. My preference remains with the students.
;)

bigblahla
11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Sounds great, but not too sure about the "bouncing" part -- could be ugly! Something tells me the "old farts" have more to bounce and someone could get hurt. My preference remains with the students.
;)

Plus when old farts bounce they tend to live up to their name and pass gas (not me of course). It could get smelly fast and there could be a few accidents if you know what I mean. :D

Damn that would be a heck of a sight on ESPN!

Go!! Zags!!!

77Zag
11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Plus when old farts bounce they tend to live up to their name and pass gas (not me of course). It could get smelly fast and there could be a few accidents if you know what I mean. :D

Damn that would be a heck of a sight on ESPN!
Go!! Zags!!!

Hope it doesn't make the top ten highlights!! Ouch....

Go Zags!!

hooter73
11-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I have an insanely high standard for the KC and absolutely love that they are communicating and representing on this board, and getting some excellent national attention.

Never a night off, always have to amp it up a notch from the last game, keep it fun and creative and not to "high school-esque". Crowds can pull a down team along with them to a win.

As for the old dudes, the younger alums will begin to cycle into those seats at some point. KC members of the last ten years will be those blue hairs some day, it'll be a long road but just think of tide.

KCBoard
11-15-2012, 09:54 AM

I'll see what we can do with those big heads for the SMC and Baylor Games! I know I'll be back for those and hopefully I can get some more students here for the Baylor game

Zag 77
11-15-2012, 09:59 AM
By the time the young KC alums get on the season ticket waiting list and wait for enough people to die off and move up, they too will be old farts. :roll:

zaguarxj
11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I might be an old fart but I rocked the "dance cam" when I went to a game last year with the students on break.

77Zag
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Maybe Kimmel can do another promotion with Johnson and Johnson and paint the Kennel Red with custom Depends?

:confused:

gozagswoohoo
11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
That would be super dangerous for all you old folks to be jumping around to Zombie Nation...

With all the ties the university has to Bing Crosby, maybe we could skip Zombie Nation for just one game, and you could all 'sway' back and forth to a little Moonlight Serenade. Sure it wouldn't get the guys near as pumped up, but it would help avoid injuries.

Zag 77
11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Hey, if they are going to play any Bing tunes in The Kennel for the old farts, it is mandatory that it be "White Christmas."

zaguarxj
11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
That would be super dangerous for all you old folks to be jumping around to Zombie Nation...

With all the ties the university has to Bing Crosby, maybe we could skip Zombie Nation for just one game, and you could all 'sway' back and forth to a little Moonlight Serenade. Sure it wouldn't get the guys near as pumped up, but it would help avoid injuries.
Better yet, paint the court green and tell all the old-timers "look, those darn kids are on your lawn again!"

77Zag
11-15-2012, 02:10 PM
They will all be good at the applause thing since they get practice at home..."clap on, clap off" all day long.