PDA

View Full Version : 2014 NCAA in Spokane

Zag 77
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
KREM just announced that the 2014 Mens 2nd & 3rd Round NCAA games will be in the Spokane Arena. Wazzu is the host institution.

I am sure they will start selling ticket packages soon.

MDABE80
11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
We never sponsor..........I'm glad it's in Spokane but why don't we do this? Is it because we might play in SPokane or some other reason???

DixieZag
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
We never sponsor..........I'm glad it's in Spokane but why don't we do this? Is it because we might play in SPokane or some other reason???

This is an interesting question. It has been my experience that the "sponsor" schools are not necessarily the biggest ones from the biggest conference but any in the area who are wanting to do it.

I wonder if GU just doesn't seek it out??

It would seem to me that Eastern would be just as likely a sponsor as WSU.

Good news anyway.

CDC84
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
And Gonzaga will have an awfully good team next year........

Zagdawg
11-13-2012, 05:57 AM
I thought the sponsor could not play at their site.

It would be a real bummer if the team played very well for teh year and could not play at the Spokane site.

Looking forward to this opportunity.

KStyles
11-13-2012, 08:09 AM

They can't. The restrictions for MBB are that the host institution can't be placed at the arena at which it is hosting, and if an institution plays more than 3 regular season games at an arena, it can't be placed there. So, as host, WSU won't be able to play in Spokane that year. Also, if by some crazy scheduling, GU were to play more than 3 games at the Spokane Arena during that season, they wouldn't be allowed to be placed there. WBB doesn't follow these bracketing procedures.

CDC84
11-13-2012, 08:09 AM

As Zag 77 mentioned, WSU is the host school. Not Gonzaga.

TerpZag
11-13-2012, 08:27 AM
In additional to the NCAA announcing their tournament sites in 2014 here:

Madison Square Garden...

The other regional sites in 2014 will be Anaheim, Calif., Indianapolis and Memphis, Tenn.

The second- and third-round sites in 2014 will be Buffalo, N.Y.; Milwaukee; Orlando, Fla.; Raleigh, N.C.; San Antonio; San Diego; Spokane, Wash.; and St. Louis. The Final Four will be played at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The NCAA also announced their tournament sites in 2015 here:

Cleveland, Houston, Los Angeles and Syracuse, N.Y., will be the regional sites in 2015. The second- and third-round sites in 2015 are Charlotte, N.C.; Columbus, Ohio; Jacksonville, Fla.; Louisville, Ky.; Omaha, Neb.; Pittsburgh; Portland, Ore; and Seattle. The Final Four will be held in Indianapolis.

First-round games will continue to be played in Dayton, Ohio, both years.

Washington Post Article Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ncaa-announces-hoops-tournament-to-return-to-madison-square-garden-as-2014-east-regional-host/2012/11/12/70dd1e54-2d29-11e2-b631-2aad9d9c73ac_story.html)

SteeleMan
11-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Can you imagine playing and/or watching a basketall game in Cowboys stadium... that venue is a small city on gamedays. Whoa.

MDABE80
11-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I have done that Steele. It's like a pageant. Just wild.

sittingon50
11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
The reason the Zags don't host is because basically they have a 2 person (+ grad asst.) Sport's Information Office. It takes a lot of people to put this on, from a publicity standpoint.

The Cougs have folks that basically do MBB only & then perhaps one other minor sport.