PDA

View Full Version : Hello once again Gonzaga Nation, I'm back

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 04:40 PM
hopefully tomorrow's contest will be a contest instead of another pig slaughtering.

zagitup
11-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Hey Mountaineer, as you know from last year, most of us on this board have great respect for Huggie and the WVU program.

From your view of the pond, what do expect to see tomorrow from Huggie's squad?

ZagNative
11-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Welcome back, Mountaineer. Hope we see a fun, entertaining game.

What's the weather like in West Virginia right now? It's cold as heck here right now, but that hasn't stopped GU students from setting up their tents outside the MAC. 114 tents so far.

Looks like Huggie's been chewing on his kids (http://bdtonline.com/furfari/x1501155413/Column-WVU-eyes-Gonzaga-game-for-answers) to step it up for this game...
Huggins, the nationís fourth winningest active coach, voiced several reasons for his unhappiness after last Thursdayís 95-53 exhibition victory against Glenville State at the Coliseum.

Huggins lamented, ďAfter today, I donít know if I want to play. Iíve got some guys if they donít play harder than what they did today, I really donít need them to play.

ďWe went through supposedly trying to grow up. If they havenít grown up by now, theyíre not going to grow up.Ē

Huggins was especially disappointed by what he considered a lack of effort by some of his players.

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Not sure, I didn't get to watch our scrimmage last week. It was suppose to be televised live via Fox Sports Pittsburgh but they decided to cancel it at the last minute and show a tape delay the next day. Ended up not watching the tape delay so I'm not really sure. I know we won by 42 points but we played scrubs so that's not really any indication for the worse or for the better. I do expect us to be much better this year but then again that's not saying a lot since how bad we were last year.

We do have a few key players who had to sit out last year due to transfer such as Staten. He played for Dayton as a freshman and led the A-10 in assists. We also have a big dude which is a NBA prospect or was when we played for La Salle, another A-10 school. But that doesn't mean much either. We bring everyone back, pretty much only lost 1 player but of course, he was our best player which was Kevin Jones. We do have great depth, by far the deepest we've been in quite some time. It will all come down to making shots as we couldn't throw the ball into the ocean last year. I heard we struggled last week from the perimeter.

I do know one thing, I've been waiting for the season to start for a few weeks now. Our football team has went to Hell in a hand basket and everyone is pretty much done with football even though we do play Oklahoma prime-time Saturday night on Fox. But they will destroy us so everyone is pretty much ready for basketball to start.

MDABE80
11-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Hey ! Welcome back! Jones was a very very good player. Should be a good game. I think you can watch the game on Justin (look for our links) or Espn3.

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Just Mt. St Helens style mountaineer removal.:cheers:

:jk:

Whatever happens it will be a great game. Physical, intense and exciting!!

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Not sure, I didn't get to watch our scrimmage last week. It was suppose to be televised live via Fox Sports Pittsburgh but they decided to cancel it at the last minute and show a tape delay the next day. Ended up not watching the tape delay so I'm not really sure. I know we won by 42 points but we played scrubs so that's not really any indication for the worse or for the better. I do expect us to be much better this year but then again that's not saying a lot since how bad we were last year.

We do have a few key players who had to sit out last year due to transfer such as Staten. He played for Dayton as a freshman and led the A-10 in assists. We also have a big dude which is a NBA prospect or was when we played for La Salle, another A-10 school. But that doesn't mean much either. We bring everyone back, pretty much only lost 1 player but of course, he was our best player which was Kevin Jones. We do have great depth, by far the deepest we've been in quite some time. It will all come down to making shots as we couldn't throw the ball into the ocean last year. I heard we struggled last week from the perimeter.

I do know one thing, I've been waiting for the season to start for a few weeks now. Our football team has went to Hell in a hand basket and everyone is pretty much done with football even though we do play Oklahoma prime-time Saturday night on Fox. But they will destroy us so everyone is pretty much ready for basketball to start.

Hi Mountain Man!

Last year wasn't that bad for you guys but I thought 19-14, 9-9 was just a bit of an under performance. You lost Kevin Jones 19.9 ppg and 10.9 rebs per game. He was your best player. You also lost "truck" Bryant who was the second leading scorer @ 16.9 ppg (although I know some Mountaineer fans think addition by subtraction there). I expect Jabarie Hinds to step up his game this year. He was a great high school player from the NYC area.

It is wait and see on Aaric Murray who decided not to go pro after his Sophomore year at LaSalle. His drug arrest last year was tough and hopefully for his sake he is a good character kid that can learn from everything that happened. I know Kansas wanted Murray pretty badly. His high school was for adjudicated delinquents and he did not get along with his coach at all there. IF this guy reaches his top 50 in high school recruiting potential he could be the surprise of the Big 12 this year. That is a big IF and nobody knows. Huggins though has the ability to connect with kids like this giving them the tough love they need! I want him to do well this year. If he shows discipline that is key. No one knows yet! He is a true wildcard.

You guys should finish top 4 in the Big 12! If you stay injury free. This is just as big a game for our Zags. Good luck!

Val :)

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Mountain Man!

Last year wasn't that bad for you guys but I thought 19-14, 9-9 was just a bit of an under performance. You lost Kevin Jones 19.9 ppg and 10.9 rebs per game. He was your best player. You also lost "truck" Bryant who was the second leading scorer @ 16.9 ppg (although I know some Mountaineer fans think addition by subtraction there). I expect Jabarie Hinds to step up his game this year. He was a great high school player from the NYC area.

It is wait and see on Aaric Murray who decided not to go pro after his Sophomore year at LaSalle. His drug arrest last year was tough and hopefully for his sake he is a good character kid that can learn from everything that happened. I know Kansas wanted Murray pretty badly. His high school was for adjudicated delinquents and he did not get along with his coach at all there. IF this guy reaches his top 50 in high school recruiting potential he could be the surprise of the Big 12 this year. That is a big IF and nobody knows. Huggins though has the ability to connect with kids like this giving them the tough love they need! I want him to do well this year. If he shows discipline that is key. No one knows yet! He is a true wildcard.

You guys should finish top 4 in the Big 12! If you stay injury free. This is just as big a game for our Zags. Good luck!

We (WVU) fans would have to disagree. Last year, we over achieved with what we had. We didn't really have anything besides Kevin Jones. Truck Byrant may averaged 16 points but he averaged 50 shot attempts and turnovers? I won't even go there, he was terrible. He never got any better through his 4 years. When he finished, he was as good as he was when he was a freshman

MickMick
11-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Welcome Mountaineer.

I mean this as a compliment to Kevin Jones. I believe Robert Sacre's defense against Jones may have been a very helpful factor on why he was selected for the NBA draft.

It takes time for a group to play well together. Fortunately for WVU, the NCAA allowed for more pre season practice this year. This will really help teams that have a collection of players that have not played together much. Although some of these WVU transfers were allowed to practice with the team last year?

Good luck, no injuries. Perhaps the teams square off again in Orlando in a more nuetral setting. Certainly one of them will have a score to settle.

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Edi and Harris can handle Kevin Jones. There will be no one on their team who will completely beat any of our guys. The only factor with Harris is he is dinged up and we DO NOT want him to re-injure his groin! Groins are notoriously finicky. So Pangos, Bell, Edi, Harris and Dower will have to start out smart and strong and control the first 6-7 minutes. If we can do that, I don't care how good or "athletic" they are, we will not only outlast them but we can stay one step ahead the entire game.

If we break their game plan A, we could pull ahead because our plan B is significantly better.

IMO.

roxdoc
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you for your breathtaking response to our friend Mountaineer.

11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
We (WVU) fans would have to disagree. Last year, we over achieved with what we had. We didn't really have anything besides Kevin Jones. Truck Byrant may averaged 16 points but he averaged 50 shot attempts and turnovers? I won't even go there, he was terrible. He never got any better through his 4 years. When he finished, he was as good as he was when he was a freshman

Hi Mountain Man! :)

In your Final 4 season "Truck" and KJ were 2 of your top 4 scorers on the season. "Truck" missed the National Semi against Duke. You guys pretty much got blown out. I think your #4 scorer and starting point guard would have made it a more competitive game.

So what I'm really trying to say is going into the season it was kinda reasonable to expect more with 2 senior leaders like KJ & "Truck" who both had Final 4 experience. What say you?

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you for your breathtaking response to our friend Mountaineer.

Gee wiz! :jk:

I respect him and their team 100%. A little good natured banter and smack talk is required, IMO.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=10463969

All in good fun, and absolutely not to be taken seriously or literally.

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi Mountain Man! :)

In your Final 4 season "Truck" and KJ were 2 of your top 4 scorers on the season. "Truck" missed the National Semi against Duke. You guys pretty much got blown out. I think your #4 scorer and starting point guard would have made it a more competitive game.

So what I'm really trying to say is going into the season it was kinda reasonable to expect more with 2 senior leaders like KJ & "Truck" who both had Final 4 experience. What say you?

Truck got injured after the 2nd round. Truck broke his foot after the 2nd round. He did not play against Washington in the Sweet 16 or against Kentucky in the Elite 8 and we won both of those games. Kentucky was the best team that year too. He wasn't much of a factor. Mazzula was the better point guard anyways and Truck's injury finally allowed him to play more minutes. He carried us on his shoulders against Kentucky, played possibly the best game of his life. Against Duke, it didn't matter who we had or didn't have. Duke wasn't missing shots. I also follow Duke as I grew up as a Duke fan. I never seen Duke make so many shots that season as they did against us in the Final 4. They had shooters and scorers but heaven sakes, they could not miss anything against us. It was also a 8 point game when DaSean torn his ACL, he was going to shoot 2 foul shots too and it was only a 8 point game. If he didn't get injured and made those foul shots, it was a 6 point game with nearly 8 minutes left. However, he got hurt and he was our best player. As soon as he went out of the game, we went straight to Hell in a hand basket and Duke easily won. But Truck didn't have much a factor as he didn't even play in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game and we won both of those. As I earlier mentioned that Kentucky was the best team, they also had John Wall that year. One of the best college point guards in the past decade.

ZagNative
11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Zags in tents tonight, getting ready to welcome the Mountaineers! 34į!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7eLqJcCMAA38n4.jpg

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Truck = poor mans Allen Iverson. A decent scorer and a decent defender, but not conducive to team chemistry and teamwork. The "me first" attitude only works unless you can put up 50% from the field. That translates to not getting the ball to the hot hand on your team and losing close games.

He is gone, and Staten is their next great hope at PG.

GoGU
11-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the pics, Zagnative. I was going to post some of my own, but you beat me to it.

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the pics, Zagnative. I was going to post some of my own, but you beat me to it.

If those are semi-"live" pics....I am jealous.......:mecry:

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Did not know we were worthy of camping out for? :roll: I'll never forget camping out one night my junior year at WVU when we hosted College Game Day against Louisville. Never again, never again will I ever camp out or stand outside for 12 hours to watch a game. I guess it's a once in a lifetime thing. But never again.

ZagNative
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the pics, Zagnative. I was going to post some of my own, but you beat me to it.Go ahead and post them, GoGU. That set was tweeted by Rem Bakamus:
Rem Bakamus ⚡ ‏@Rem15Bakamus

Tell me we don't have the best fans in the nation! By far the greatest on the planet #ZagUp #TentCityHere's another pic and tweet:
Sean Farnham ‏@SeanFarnham

22 degrees in Spokane 26 hours & counting until the #tipoffmarathon but the Zags students are in Mid-season

https://yfrog.com/Himg814/scaled.php?tn=0&server=814&filename=2nvgy.jpg&xsize=480&ysize=480

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Did not know we were worthy of camping out for? :roll: I'll never forget camping out one night my junior year at WVU when we hosted College Game Day against Louisville. Never again, never again will I ever camp out or stand outside for 12 hours to watch a game. I guess it's a once in a lifetime thing. But never again.

After NN, SUU and WVU, maybe Good Sam club should set up sites outside the Kennel. WVU is definitely "camp" worthy.

Zagguy
11-11-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a great pic from the NCAA game last year that I would love to post but it seems it has too many pixels. Help!

Rangerzag
11-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a great pic from the NCAA game last year that I would love to post but it seems it has too many pixels. Help!

Try: http://www.resizemypicture.com/

ZagNative
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
From our last meeting:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UqnYdYx910A/T2NyedbM8yI/AAAAAAABUpw/ODqLm1Vmkk8/s720/2012-03-15%2520Elias%2520Harris%2520NCAA%2520WVU.jpg

Elias Harris, of Gonzaga, rear, takes a hard shot to the body from Deniz Kilicli of West Virginia during their second round game of the NCAA Tournament

Zagineer
11-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Rangerzag may have the easiest one-pic approach. As a long term alternative,....

Set up a free Photobucket account.
Download your photos to it.
Then, with photobucket's drop down menu on each pic, copy........
then paste into your GUBoard post.

Been doing it that way for years.

:)

Footnote: Good to see the snow went away for our camping students, even though the temperature has got to be just BITTER COLD!!!!!. :eek:

11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Truck got injured after the 2nd round. Truck broke his foot after the 2nd round. He did not play against Washington in the Sweet 16 or against Kentucky in the Elite 8 and we won both of those games. Kentucky was the best team that year too. He wasn't much of a factor. Mazzula was the better point guard anyways and Truck's injury finally allowed him to play more minutes. He carried us on his shoulders against Kentucky, played possibly the best game of his life. Against Duke, it didn't matter who we had or didn't have. Duke wasn't missing shots. I also follow Duke as I grew up as a Duke fan. I never seen Duke make so many shots that season as they did against us in the Final 4. They had shooters and scorers but heaven sakes, they could not miss anything against us. It was also a 8 point game when DaSean torn his ACL, he was going to shoot 2 foul shots too and it was only a 8 point game. If he didn't get injured and made those foul shots, it was a 6 point game with nearly 8 minutes left. However, he got hurt and he was our best player. As soon as he went out of the game, we went straight to Hell in a hand basket and Duke easily won. But Truck didn't have much a factor as he didn't even play in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game and we won both of those. As I earlier mentioned that Kentucky was the best team, they also had John Wall that year. One of the best college point guards in the past decade.

Hey Mountain!

The pre-season 2011-12 conference predictions on Big East Media day had West Virgina finishing at #7 in the league. KJ was First team All Big-East pre-season. West Virginia finished 8th. So very modest underachieving based on pre-season prediction. Ya very slight there! LOL

Joe M. had 4 pts and 3 assists in 32 minutes against Duke. Losing Butler really hurt you guys but that goes back to having depth. Remember "Truck" was just a Sophomore in your Final 4 season. Technically you are right though that "Truck" never actually logged minutes in the Tournament after the Missouri game. I interpret team differently though and consider going through the experience of being on a Final 4 team (The media, travel ect ect valuable) from an experience prespective going forward.

I was rooting like heck for you guys that day and when Huggy was on the floor with Butler is was so emotional I cried to. ERRRR I was PO'ed you guys lost that game!

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
I do find it very amusing that we finish the 2011-2012 year by losing to you guys in the NCAA Tournament and we open the 2012-2013 year playing against you guys. Pretty weird, has that ever happened before? Maybe but I cant remember that ever happening for us.

Mountaineer
11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Also, most WVU fans aren't expecting to win this game. What we are hoping to see or at least I'm hoping to see are improvements from the last time we met back in March. I just want to see a competitive game. Certain players I'll be keying in on like : Hinds, Brown, Kilillic, Miles, and few others to see how they have progressed from last season. Also will be paying attention to Murray, Staten, and Humphrey to see what they are bringing to the table for us this year. Hoping to see us attack the glass and win the rebound margin against you guys. I also hope to see more transition points for us as we are suppose to be faster this year. I also hope to see improvements on defending the transition game. We got burnt last year on points off turnovers. I will be watching our foul shots. Last year, we were horrific from the line. Those are free points, you must take advantage of those or they will burn you in a close game. Will also be watching to see well we pass the ball and how well our offense is going because last year, many of the freshmen seemed lost or out of place. Just the small and basic things. I only hope for big improvements from our last matchup. I just want to be optimistic heading into this year, I just want something to build off and give me hope that we have a solid team this year and will be able to compete in the Big 12

11-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Huggy hugging!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruHQzO6N75c

Well after tomorrow we will be rooting for each other in every game for RPI! Unless we meet in the Old Spice final. :)

Best
Val

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Also, most WVU fans aren't expecting to win this game.

Certain players I'll be keying in on like : Hinds, Brown, Kilillic, Miles, and few others to see how they have progressed from last season. Also will be paying attention to Murray, Staten, and Humphrey to see what they are bringing to the table for us this year.

Hoping to see us attack the glass and win the rebound margin against you guys.

I will be watching our foul shots.

Well, I hope we're not expecting to win though. Not sure where to draw the line when to "believe" you can win every game or to "expect" to win. Not sure how the actual players look at how they psych themselves up and avoid looking ahead or overlooking an opponent. Pre-game mental preparation is an important element for a program and coaching philosophy.

Rebounding has been brought up as one of our weaknesses and I am not convinced yet. Although I didn't see elbows flailing and bodies flying, I did see our guys getting good position and crashing the boards.

If I had to choose our greatest weakness it is FT's. We were under 60% against SUU. We need to be around 70% as a team if we want to win the close games in the last 30 seconds.

Hope you weren't insulted by my Mt St Helens comment. We love having classy opponents voice their opinions, and I sincerely hope the occasional poke will not deter you in the future when you end up 0-2 in consecutive games against the Zags. Again :jk: :cheers:

BTW, I can take what I dish out.:starwars: And I love great rivalries. And since the UW huskies won't man up, we have to find rivalries elsewhere across the great US of A.

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Huggy hugging!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruHQzO6N75c

Well after tomorrow we will be rooting for each other in every game for RPI! Unless we meet in the Old Spice final. :)

Best
Val

Aint that the truth!

+1000

I'm rooting for SUU too!

GoGU
11-12-2012, 01:18 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/ubygu7az.jpg

Here's one from a few hours ago. Not a great picture but the lighting and point of view weren't ideal. I'm back in my hall now (I'm in the pep band so I'm not camping). Field lights went out a couple hours ago. It also has started snowing. So much respect for the 114 tents (over 600 people) out there!

GoGU
11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/12/sy2ube8u.jpg

Good morning, Zag Nation. We're ready. Are you?

Oregonzagnut
11-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Is those pics are showing both sides of the field/baseball diamond in front of the Kennel stretching towards the Foley center.
Are there any on the Madonna CM side?

My guess is over 100 tents? Each with 10-12 people in them? :p

GoGU
11-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Is those pics are showing both sides of the field/baseball diamond in front of the Kennel. One stretching towards Madonna and the other stretching towards the Foley center.

My guess is over 100 tents? Each with 10-12 people in them? :p

According to Kennel Club there are 114 tents registered. Each tent can have a max of 6 people so there are probably at least 500. The rest of the 1200 students will get in line today. All the tents are lined up on the grass between Mulligan Field (the big intramurals turf field) and the Foley Center, with a few on the lawn in front of Foley for overflow.

JPtheBeasta
11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Hey Mountain!

I was rooting like heck for you guys that day and when Huggy was on the floor with Butler is was so emotional I cried to. ERRRR I was PO'ed you guys lost that game!

That was one of the more poignant moments in sports for me.

zag944
11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Did not know we were worthy of camping out for? :roll:

A Big 12 team consistently making the tourney coming across the nation to our school is a very big deal.

We can't even get a Pac 12 team that cant make the tourney to come across our state.

Crowd is going to be amped.

sittingon50
11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
:clap:

bostoncollegezagfan
11-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Mountaineer, do you have any insight as how to how WVU fans feel about Matt Humphrey? I am a Boston College fan and have a little bit of insight on him. Last year, 5 of our top 6 scorers were all freshman and we were not a very strong scoring team. Matt, as our only upperclassman (albeit a transfer) took on the role to help with the scoring burden since only one prolific scorer emerged last year (Ryan Anderson). BC fans liked the fact that he was athletic and able to penetrate but we hated his shot selection. He ended up being our go-to guy at times, but other times, he would chuck up a 3 with 28 seconds left on the shot clock. His FG% was a pretty bad 35% and his 3Pt% was 31%.

Overall, he is a talented kid who can make a big play here or there and can create trouble for the defense but he truly made some bad decisions. His shooting % is a reflection of his decision-making, not his talent. In my opinion, if he really focused on his decision-making and his mental game, then he could play a big role for the Mountaineers off the bench. If not, with the depth that WVU has, I am not sure if he will see too much of the court.

He always played very solid D, though. Probably our best defender last year.

UberZagFan
11-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Mountaineer: curious, but does anyone like those grey football unis?

Not to hi-jack this thread because it seems it has also become /tent thread, but what is going on right now in the MAC? Nothing, right? Why wouldn't they just let those camped to set up on the concourse inside or something? Understand that somewhat defeats the purpose but at what point does the school say the students need to get inside? Pretty darn cold to be hanging in a tent all night.

wvubball
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Mountaineer, do you have any insight as how to how WVU fans feel about Matt Humphrey? I am a Boston College fan and have a little bit of insight on him. Last year, 5 of our top 6 scorers were all freshman and we were not a very strong scoring team. Matt, as our only upperclassman (albeit a transfer) took on the role to help with the scoring burden since only one prolific scorer emerged last year (Ryan Anderson). BC fans liked the fact that he was athletic and able to penetrate but we hated his shot selection. He ended up being our go-to guy at times, but other times, he would chuck up a 3 with 28 seconds left on the shot clock. His FG% was a pretty bad 35% and his 3Pt% was 31%.

Overall, he is a talented kid who can make a big play here or there and can create trouble for the defense but he truly made some bad decisions. His shooting % is a reflection of his decision-making, not his talent. In my opinion, if he really focused on his decision-making and his mental game, then he could play a big role for the Mountaineers off the bench. If not, with the depth that WVU has, I am not sure if he will see too much of the court.

I've heard some excitement and some concern. My hope is that we won't need to lean as heavily on him as BC did, and maybe that'll translate to a better FGA, smarter shots, etc. If our depth is what we think (hope) it is, he won't stay on the floor if he starts missing a bunch of bad shots. Huggs will bench him and play Miles, Henderson, Harris, etc.

He's playing mostly the 3 here -- he was a 2 at BC, right?

He looked downright awesome in our intra-squad scrimmage game. That got me a little excited. Then he was pretty bad in our exhibition game against Glenville State.

In general, people here are glad he transferred. We're a young team, so we like his experience, and we're all hoping desperately he can shoot the 3 for us and add a scoring threat in general.

We'll see what he's got tonight!

11-12-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi Mr. BC! :)

"And his impact was minimal, since he had been stashed at New Hampton Prep (N.H.) for the fall semester before he joined the Eagles in December. Then the staff was fired. New Boston College coach Steve Donahue didnít see Heslipís potential, for whatever reason. Heslip said the two met, he wasnít in the plans and so he was out. "
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/54948/bears-say-heslip-hardworking-humble

What was Steve Donahue thinking? Heslip arguably is the best 3 point sniper in college hoops especially after sinking 9 3's in the NCAA Tourney against Colorado last year.

Now Brady plays BC in the Charleston Classic on Thursday. If it weren't for Scott Drew and his soft zone principals at times Baylor could get to the Final 4. Jefferson and Austin appear to be filling the shoes of Miller and Jones. Scott Drew scares me though as a coach despite his great recruiting talents (he will be banned for 2 games this year for violations hahahaha)

I mean it boggles the mind how Donahue let this kid go. What say you?! :)

bostoncollegezagfan
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I've heard some excitement and some concern. My hope is that we won't need to lean as heavily on him as BC did, and maybe that'll translate to a better FGA, smarter shots, etc. If our depth is what we think (hope) it is, he won't stay on the floor if he starts missing a bunch of bad shots. Huggs will bench him and play Miles, Henderson, Harris, etc.

He's playing mostly the 3 here -- he was a 2 at BC, right?

He looked downright awesome in our intra-squad scrimmage game. That got me a little excited. Then he was pretty bad in our exhibition game against Glenville State.

In general, people here are glad he transferred. We're a young team, so we like his experience, and we're all hoping desperately he can shoot the 3 for us and add a scoring threat in general.

We'll see what he's got tonight!

He played a 3 for us but our coach, Donahue, likes to run a 3 guard system so he was essentially a 2/3. To be completely blunt, I am happy that he is gone from BC but that doesn't mean that he can't contribute and be successful for WVU.

bostoncollegezagfan
11-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi Mr. BC! :)

"And his impact was minimal, since he had been stashed at New Hampton Prep (N.H.) for the fall semester before he joined the Eagles in December. Then the staff was fired. New Boston College coach Steve Donahue didnít see Heslipís potential, for whatever reason. Heslip said the two met, he wasnít in the plans and so he was out. "
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/54948/bears-say-heslip-hardworking-humble

What was Steve Donahue thinking? Heslip arguably is the best 3 point sniper in college hoops especially after sinking 9 3's in the NCAA Tourney against Colorado last year.

Now Brady plays BC in the Charleston Classic on Thursday. If it weren't for Scott Drew and his soft zone principals at times Baylor could get to the Final 4. Jefferson and Austin appear to be filling the shoes of Miller and Jones. Scott Drew scares me though as a coach despite his great recruiting talents (he will be banned for 2 games this year for violations hahahaha)

I mean it boggles the mind how Donahue let this kid go. What say you?! :)

I am not completely sure what happened, but to my understanding, the decision to leave was more on Heslip/his father than Donahue. Donahue loves to run a 3-guard, heavy 3 pt shooting offense and Heslip would fit this system perfectly. I think Heslip committed to BC as a result of our old coach, Skinner, and as soon as Skinner was fired and the entire coaching staff (and roster) was overturned, Heslip (speculation suggests Heslip, Sr. had some say in it as well) did not want to stay. There is a fair chance that Donahue did not want him since he did not recruit him or told him that he would have to earn his spot or something, but we at BC are not entirely sure. I do wish we had him now, though.

Oregonzagnut
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Mountaineer: curious, but does anyone like those grey football unis?

Not to hi-jack this thread because it seems it has also become /tent thread, but what is going on right now in the MAC? Nothing, right? Why wouldn't they just let those camped to set up on the concourse inside or something? Understand that somewhat defeats the purpose but at what point does the school say the students need to get inside? Pretty darn cold to be hanging in a tent all night.

That is part of increasing demand. Its the payoff for making your gym too small. Plus, half of them have a perfectly warm dorm room not more than 100 yards away at Desmet, Madonna and CM. Plus the COG is right on several campers zip door! Let me guess, they have tent city monitors and security to make sure people are not "cutting tent"? (cutting in line)

But seriously, how would you feel if you were a team member? I'd feel pretty honored and pressured at the same time. I wonder how many other fans will camp out like this so early in the season.

gamagin
11-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Zags in tents tonight, getting ready to welcome the Mountaineers! 34į!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A7eLqJcCMAA38n4.jpg

those pix look like they were taken at some other time. there's snow on the ground everwhere i look. there's none in the pix. not even on the rooftops. how ??

Oregonzagnut
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
those pix look like they were taken at some other time. there's snow on the ground everwhere i look. there's none in the pix. not even on the rooftops. how ??

It snowed in the middle of the night last night. Plus I think there were some tents up a couple days early.

gamagin
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
makes sense. tnx

11-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Aint that the truth!

+1000

I'm rooting for SUU too!

Dear OZN,

I just love our Zags so much. :adored:

At 12:00 AM EST I'll start holding my breath and will exhale at around 2:00 AM EST. It doesn't matter who we play I'm always like that. Just always praying to stay injury free (most important reason for holding my breath! hehehe since I'm always looking at the big picture)

You and I will both be rooting for SUU!

Take care!
Vxo

GoGU
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
That is part of increasing demand. Its the payoff for making your gym too small. Plus, half of them have a perfectly warm dorm room not more than 100 yards away at Desmet, Madonna and CM. Plus the COG is right on several campers zip door! Let me guess, they have tent city monitors and security to make sure people are not "cutting tent"? (cutting in line)

But seriously, how would you feel if you were a team member? I'd feel pretty honored and pressured at the same time. I wonder how many other fans will camp out like this so early in the season.

The tent camping isn't for the tickets. The tickets are distributed before tents are set up. The tents are for trying to get as close to the front row. Front row means you get to go out on the floor during introductions. A lot of people complain about how cold it is, but I will bet that every single one of them is secretly (or not so secretly) proud of what we do here. This isn't about convenience or necessity. This is about coming together to cheer for the team (I personally wish they would come together more often for the women's team, but that's another can of worms). As cheesy as it sounds, this is about the community at Gonzaga. I'm sure the alumni who lurk here can attest to the community that makes Gonzaga so unique.