PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs West Virginia...Predictions and thoughts about what you hope to see...

Reborn
11-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Gonzaga 77
WVU 63

I think the game will be close in the first half and the Zags pull away in the second half. WV gave us everything they had, and did try to upset us to pay us back for the drubbing we gave them in the NCAA tournament last March.

I hope to see PK have a strong game against some tough bigs. I say he starts slow, but has a good second half. The Zags will most likely wear WV down because of their fast pace, and pull away in the last 7 minutes of the game.

It's time for our stars to rise. I think Kevin, Gary Bell Jr. and Elias are the difference makers in this game. It is not going to be as easy to get inside on drives like we have been able to do. We are going to have to prove that we can shoot from the outside. Our outside shooting is going to be the difference in this game.

I also feel that someone from the Zags is going to have great game, and show his talent. I'm anxious to see who it is (25 or points or better).

I'm looking to see if the Zags can have less than 13 turnovers?

And more than 5 three's.

And finally, it's time for the Zags to get serious from the foul line. The whole team.

Nevtelen
11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Few and Co have mentioned several times that I've seen that Karnowski needs to learn to play tougher on the court and adjust to the speed of D-I ball. They've also said he's a fast learner. I expect him to get attacked very intesely as soon as he comes in the game and I wouldn't be surprised if he has problems at first. What I'd like to see is how he responds to that. By the end of the game, I want to see Karnowski take a step forward in the toughness and rebounding department. For that matter, I want to see a Dower who doesn't float through the game, but gets his nose in there down in the post and gets his share.

Edi did well on Friday, but I think if he does well vs WV, we can call it officially a 'break out game'. I'd like to see that because I think he can really do something like that. I'm not sure he'll score as much, but I hope he'll show his D and rebounding (and athleticism) to the rest of the country.

bartruff1
11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Huggy Bear is a great coach and his teams reflect his toughness and he knows Bell and Pangos and Harris and even Few so unless Gonzaga is shooting 60% it will be close for 25 or 30 minutes.

This is the Kennel and Kevin plays here with great confidence and he makes everyone better.

The big three will win it (IMHO) the others will make significant contributions.

As Always Kevin is the Key.

I am hoping to see a execution of several Student Life members at half time, so that they get the message about what is really important at Gonzaga.

If we lose this game with KO on the bench....well....it could get ugly.......kidding....just kidding...

Reborn
11-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Few and Co have mentioned several times that I've seen that Karnowski needs to learn to play tougher on the court and adjust to the speed of D-I ball. They've also said he's a fast learner. I expect him to get attacked very intesely as soon as he comes in the game and I wouldn't be surprised if he has problems at first. What I'd like to see is how he responds to that. By the end of the game, I want to see Karnowski take a step forward in the toughness and rebounding department. For that matter, I want to see a Dower who doesn't float through the game, but gets his nose in there down in the post and gets his share.

Edi did well on Friday, but I think if he does well vs WV, we can call it officially a 'break out game'. I'd like to see that because I think he can really do something like that. I'm not sure he'll score as much, but I hope he'll show his D and rebounding (and athleticism) to the rest of the country.

Good post with good insights. I'm with ya on this one. So far Edi and PK have been outstanding, and now it's time for the next step. Let's see how they do.

MickMick
11-10-2012, 08:12 PM
WVU has some very good talent that is young and relatively unproven. Huggins likes his current version and that alone makes them scary as he typically calls it like it really is.

The type of team that will get much better over the course of the season.

I expect GU to win and they might win handily, but WVU will be a much better team by the time post season consideration comes in to play. They really just need time playing together as a group and GU will be a really stiff test for them at this early stage of the season.

It might be a blow out at home. Old Spice will be a more level playing field for WVU and I do expect GU will face them in Orlando.

As far as the game itself:

Kevin Pangos. If the game gets unexpectedly difficult, Kevin will some how, some way, put us in position to win.

zagamatic
11-10-2012, 09:09 PM
West Virginia has a lot of new guys who will be trying to sort things at game speed for the first time in one the hardest venues in the country for other teams to pull out a W. I fully expect our guys to go all out trying to disrupt their gelling process.
That being said, I respect Huggy as a guy who says it like it is. And if he has high praise for this group, so do I.
IF we can jump em early, I like our chances. Either way, I expect WVU to improve as the game goes on. FWIW, I don't wanna have to face em twice this season. Unless it's in the national championship game. I'd be ok with that.
Zags 83
Mountaineers 72
Just because I don't think they'll be able to overcome a slow start

Kiddwell
11-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Let's see if we can handle their big brawny center now that Rob is...
Playing for pay,
In the NBA.

Shoot basketballs -- 83
Shoot rabbits-'n'-wear 'em on our heads -- 66

:]

<Truth be told, the Mountaineer mascot is pretty cool.> ;)

upan8th
11-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Special K, the Big Karnowski, the Prze's affect will be notably diminished from Friday's game. Welcome to the world of Division 1 big time college basketball, Przemek. Cheerfully looking forward to Board reality check re the Polish "phenom". Predict will play less than 15 minutes after accumulating early fouls and 1 for 6 FG against interior defense that (except for his Turkish counterpart) doubles his 15" vertical. Let the howling begin.

DCZag
11-11-2012, 05:13 AM
I think it will be tight early, but our depth and home crowd will wear them down.

Protect the ball, rebound and hit some FTs.

Zags by 12.

zagzilla
11-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I'll be there tomorrow and I am nervous. WV is bigger and tougher inside and has revenge on their minds. The last team they played was us and they have had the offseason to think on that.

Offsetting that concern is the reality that there are a bunch of new faces on the team who haven't had the seasoning we have. Add to that a 9PM pacific time start and a 3000 mile trip and I think we do just enough to pull it out in a relatively low scoring affair.

GU 62
WV 59

I'll be watching closely to see if we can stay even on the boards. I don't think the Mountaineers are particularly good shooters so defensive bounding by GU and limiting second chance points will be important.

ZZ

Baldwinzag
11-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I'll be watching closely to see if we can stay even on the boards. I don't think the Mountaineers are particularly good shooters so defensive bounding by GU and limiting second chance points will be important.

Great point, 'zilla.

West Va feature very good offensive rebounders, yet a collection of mediocre shooters along the perimeter. I believe their best, most experienced "shooter" is a transfer from Boston College -- who Huggs labeled his 'sniper' -- still just 33% from 3pt for his career.

Their starting PG, Staten, is very good all-around guard, who can get in the lane and spread the ball around. He led the Atlantic-10 in assists during his Freshman season, yet again, still not a great shooter. Hinds, Browne, et al are the other guards who are unproven shooters as well. Maybe a bit more zone this time around?? Worth a gamble, imo.

Point is, they are going to miss shots, yet as ZZ eluded to above, can we clean it up? or will we allow their big, tough, mean post players to secure 2nd chance opportunities?

Dower, Elias, & King Karn Dog are going to need to crash, crash, crash, and crash some more on shot attempts. If Dower continues to hover in the mid-range area and stare at shots attempts(including his own), then we're in trouble b/c West Va will get 40+ pts off the O-glass. yes, I'm a bit concerned over our ability to board the bball, especially considering Elias is not fully healthy and facing a nagging injury, Big Pole hasn't faced this type of physicality before, and Dower, is well, Dower on defense.

It'll be a given we can score on these guys and feature much better shooters, yet if they are off, even a little bit, we won't have much room for error vs their big bodies down low.

I'm excited to post the post-game thoughts and analysis after this one. If we out-rebound them, I'll be the happiest I've been as a Zag fan in a long time, b/c that'll mean we are Top-10 good, imho. Right now, I haven't seen "it" down low, but then again, we haven't really been tested -- maybe they are still holding back? (again, not as players or scorers, as tough-nosed, focused defenders with an intensity on the glass, b/c I know the Mountaineers have it in spades).

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-11-2012, 09:07 AM
As a freshman, Sacre didn't possess the skills that Karnowski seems to possess now. It's too early to tell exactly how good Karnoski will be this season but his soft hands, ability to run the floor, his passing thus far have been superb in my view. Defense is always an issue to one degree or another. But, if KO and Dower play defense while "Special K" is in the game, he'll be a force even at this young age.

WV will certainly bring it to him under the Boards and their slashing guards will be a real test in the Paint.

Should be a great game. Go Zags.

kitzbuel
11-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Dower, GLE and GBJ are key. If Dower can pick up his intensity defensively and Guy and Gary are active defensively, WVU will have a hard time running its offense.

Reborn
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Special K, the Big Karnowski, the Prze's affect will be notably diminished from Friday's game. Welcome to the world of Division 1 big time college basketball, Przemek. Cheerfully looking forward to Board reality check re the Polish "phenom". Predict will play less than 15 minutes after accumulating early fouls and 1 for 6 FG against interior defense that (except for his Turkish counterpart) doubles his 15" vertical. Let the howling begin.

I am so excited to see what you have to say after the game. Thanks for your different perspective of the game. I appreciate your views, even though mine are different. I do agree that PK has not been tested in the way that he will be on Monday. I just disagree about how he will handle WVU. I think he passes the test.

LongIslandZagFan
11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Neers 128
Zags 40

bigblahla
11-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Put the pedal to the metal and run them out of the gym.

20+ point Zags victory. That's what I'd like to see!

Go!! Zags!!!

Zag@LMU
11-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Put the pedal to the metal and run them out of the gym.

20+ point Zags victory. That's what I'd like to see!

Go!! Zags!!!
Ticket distribution was this morning, and I can tell you that the upperclassmen were out bright and early for this one. We'll show up, and im guessing the team will too. WVU thinks theyve been in tough environments? Well weve got something of our own to show them.

Zags 82
WVU 65

zaguarxj
11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
What would I like to see? Karnage!

Worthington
11-11-2012, 01:56 PM
The game shouldn't be all that close. We've got a special team this year and as much as I respect Bob Huggins and West Virginia, if we don't beat them by 10+ I will be disappointed.

GoZags
11-11-2012, 02:41 PM
1) A GU win
2) An injury free game
3) A GU win
4) GBJ have a "breakout" game for the annals on ESPN a la Kevin Pangos v Koogs last year. Would be cool to have him shining in the National spotlight.
5) A GU win
6) A GU win
7) A GU win
etc
etc
etc

godfamilycountryzags
11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
WV out rebounds GU by 11 and get half their points in the paint on 2nd chance shots. GU forces WV into 25 turnovers resulting in one fast break score after another. The new walk-on plays the last two minutes at point. GU-82 WV-65. Not sure how the front line will defend but the 1-3 spots will get after it and they seem to have a knack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Our front courts will match up well. But they will not have the horses, nor the bench to outlast us for 40 minutes. If foul trouble doesn't handcuff the WVU bigs, then they may barely win the battle of the bigs. But it will not be enough.

Our perimeter game will be the difference and will hit some key three pointers to keep the game consistently out of reach for the mountaineers, and we pull ahead with 4-5 FTs in the last minute.

Gonzaga 78
WVU 68

ridgebackzag
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I hope WVU's front court toughness becomes an issue for them when our jump shooters attempt. Our guys know how to take fouls. It's the athleticism of their back court that has me worried. We always have trouble with athleticism, year to year. Is this the year we stop that trend? I don't know.

86 Zags
74 WVU

Tight game until Zags pull away after 30 minutes played.

Oregonzagnut
11-11-2012, 06:39 PM
I hope WVU's front court toughness becomes an issue for them when our jump shooters attempt. Our guys know how to take fouls. It's the athleticism of their back court that has me worried. We always have trouble with athleticism, year to year. Is this the year we stop that trend? I don't know.

86 Zags
74 WVU

Tight game until Zags pull away after 30 minutes played.

Between Bell, Pangos and Hart we may not physically or "athletically" beat them on any given play, but I think we will see Hart get early minutes to wear down Hinds, Browne or the 2 freshmen they have. Pangos and Bell can run with the best of them so I am not too worried about "athleticism" this year.

I don't see them outlasting our bench on either end of the court. We have 2 complete teams that can sub in and out at will. I don't think they have the versatility or the stamina of 10-12 players. But we will see.

titopoet
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
West Virginia has a lot of new guys who will be trying to sort things at game speed for the first time in one the hardest venues in the country for other teams to pull out a W. I fully expect our guys to go all out trying to disrupt their gelling process.
That being said, I respect Huggy as a guy who says it like it is. And if he has high praise for this group, so do I.
IF we can jump em early, I like our chances. Either way, I expect WVU to improve as the game goes on. FWIW, I don't wanna have to face em twice this season. Unless it's in the national championship game. I'd be ok with that.
Zags 83
Mountaineers 72
Just because I don't think they'll be able to overcome a slow start

The "new" guys are mostly transfers from the A-10 and the ACC who have had a red shirt year. Little adjustment to the speed of the game. Aaric Murray will be a load down under. He was a 5 star coming out of high school.

I hope the guys can stay focus, and being home will help, but make no mistake, this will be a challenge. I will say 71-59, though a lot closer than the final score. A late run pushes the score after a hard battle.

Baseline
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I think we start the game playing the big mans game. karno starts nervous and settles in, we hold our own down low and make the difference on the fast breaks and and the difference in 3 point shooting.

If we start falling behind few will go small and play a run and shoot game.

It will be interesting how it sorts out.

Gu +8

BULLDOG#1
11-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Wish we had KO in this one.

Dower needs to have a big game. Karn showed great last game, but I don't know if he's ready for this stage. Our bigs need to rebound and defend the post. Sam definately needs to step up. 5 guys need to rebound. Edi needs to continue to play like a star.

The WV transfers look great on paper... who knows how they'll mesh. It is a lot tougher for them -- travelling across the country, playing in a gym where visitors hardly ever win, playing in their first real game together as a core, yadda yadda. Still seems like a dangerous team (especially if they mesh) and they'll have revenge on their mind.

Our guards will have to dominate. We have one of the best backcourts in the country (not just bell and pang -- stockton and drang look great). If they play like it and the bigs hold their own, we should win going away. My guess is, though, that it's a grind-out game -- Few is going to want to run, but we'll need the glass to do that, and I've got my doubts about that... so, we'll need our bigs to hit the FT's.

If we don't have great guard play and can't hit what I suspect are a lot of open 3's, then it could be doom for the zags. Huggy is a great coach and he'll exploit whatever weakness we show. WV doesn't seem like it's got the firepower to come from behind, so it would be great to jump on them early.

Whatever the outcome, this looks like a doozy of a game. Pretty cool that these big schools come to spokane, isn't it?

Reborn
11-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Wow! I just discovered that the Zags are playing at 9 pm OUR time. I thought it was 9 pm their time back east. This will certainly hurt WVU. It will be midnight for them when the games starts.

I'm changing my prediction to 77 to 58. The game is not going to be as close as I had originally thought. If we meet them in the Old Spice Classic it will be much closer.

jpwils
11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
We will play mediocre first half- down by 7 at halftime.

THEN the time difference will kick in; so will the home court advantage!

Zags will go on a 13-0 run and lead by 6 with 2 minutes left.

Missed free throws will hurt both sides- Zags will win by no more than 3 points with WVU missing a wide open 3 at the buzzer.

Zags will have at least 4 fewer turnovers like 17 for WVU and 13 for Zags.

Hart will have a great game as will Bell as will Harris.

Great learning experience for both teams!!

BobZag
11-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Vengeance will be exacted by Huggy Bear:

'Neers by 7.

cjm720
11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Blowout. We win by 18 plus.

3 bombs and Karno do much of the damage.

75Zag
11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
After reading the "Final Four" hype for 7 or 8 months it will be interesting to see the Bulldogs actually play a real game against a real team that has at least some national following. I have no idea how this one will turn out. I will not be particularly surprised by any outcome - good or bad. The Vegas line (-10) seems a bit generous to the Bulldogs, but they have to offset all the W. V. money. Apparently coal miners are more active gamblers than GU alumni.

Go Bulldogs!

BULLDOG#1
11-12-2012, 09:43 AM
After reading the "Final Four" hype for 7 or 8 months it will be interesting to see the Bulldogs actually play a real game against a real team that has at least some national following. I have no idea how this one will turn out. I will not be particularly surprised by any outcome - good or bad. The Vegas line (-10) seems a bit generous to the Bulldogs, but they have to offset all the W. V. money. Apparently coal miners are more active gamblers than GU alumni.

Go Bulldogs!

+1

I hope for cjm720's outcome, but fear BabZag's outcome. Sooo early in the season...

Vanzagger
11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
commitment to the kiddy line up. yep! Coach went to it in the first four minutes vs S Utah.

When Few makes his first Great Eight this year I expect this line up will be the cause of it.

Dont change now.

BULLDOG#1
11-12-2012, 10:14 AM
just had a thought...

wouldn't it be great if two freshmen -- PK and Drang -- carried us to a win against a top tier team like WV?

zag944
11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
85-82 Zags, 2 OT (it's bound to happen with such a late start!)

Id like to see Karno and Sam grab a few more boards....6 in 45 minutes between them against SUU.
The free throw percentage needs to be a lot better too. 17-30 isnt going to cut it.

UberZagFan
11-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Gonzaga 77
WVU 63

Wow! I just discovered that the Zags are playing at 9 pm OUR time. I thought it was 9 pm their time back east. This will certainly hurt WVU. It will be midnight for them when the games starts.

I'm changing my prediction to 77 to 58. The game is not going to be as close as I had originally thought. If we meet them in the Old Spice Classic it will be much closer.

So now we know that in Reborn's eyes, that 3 hour time difference is worth 5 points to the Mountaineers and 0 points to the Zags? You are too funny.

As for the what do you want to see question: 1. Edi continuing the play he had Friday and learning that he is capable of that every game. 2. The players that are expected to carry GU to bigger and better things this year need to show themselves in big games against good/great opponents, i.e., Harris, Bell & Pangos. 3. GU up by double digits from the second TV timeout on--Uber doesn't need the adrenaline rush of a close game as he needs to be in bed soon after the buzzer.

Goshzagit
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Out-rebounded handedly this game:

West Va with 26 2nd chance points

Zag with 8 2nd chance points.

This will be the difference -- boards and foul trouble.

Dower fouls out with 7 mins to play and subsequently, forced to play w/ foul trouble the entire game.

Karnowski plays sound bball off the bench, yet a bit overwhelmed with the physicality, elbows, and hard box outs. He becomes a bit rattled, but turns in good effort and hustle.

Elias still playing at 70% and unable to make up the difference. He can't rebound every ball by himself.

Our guards(of course) play well, shoot well, and do a nice job on both sides of the court, yet simply not enough to negate the consistent, lackadaisical post-defense, foul trouble by our bigs(Dower & KarnowskI), and most importantly being out-rebounded by 12. Elias feels forced to make a presence and turns the ball over too many times.

The good: our perimeter defense, shooting, passing, and execution when given an opportunity. We'll have one chance to get it right due to lack of o-boards.

The bad: our post defense, rebounding, defensive boards, lack of crashing the offensive boards.

Thus,

'Eers 74
'Dogs 64

Sensing a 10-pt loss from what I've seen by this team so far. We can score with the best of 'em and will shoot well, yet our rebounding has been sub-par and so has our post-defense -- this was exposed vs SUU, yet those bigs couldn't convert when they burnt us underneath. Again, 2ND CHANCE POINTS WILL BE THE DOUBLE-DIGIT DIFFERENCE.

btw, I desperately want to eat crow.

Lastly, I also watched WVU's exhibition game vs Glenville on Root sports and was thoroughly impressed by the size, strength, and rebounding technique by their bigs.

Our strengths are their weaknesses and vice versa. It will be close but tough to overcome the offensive put-backs and kick-outs and reset of shot clocks.

SteelZag
11-12-2012, 02:43 PM
After the game, I would like to see Huggy Bear walking off the court muttering to himself, "Sure wouldn't want to play 'em after they get their other seven footer back."

Baldwinzag
11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I think this is a 10-pt game; one way or the other.

Honestly, don't know who comes out on top...

Zags will either put on a shooting/passing clinic or WVU will put on a rebounding/offensive rebound clinic.

It could be a little put of both, yet one team will execute their respective strength better than the other.

Double-digit game tonight, hopefully we'll be the ones celebrating.

bigblahla
11-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Out-rebounded handedly this game:

West Va with 26 2nd chance points

Zag with 8 2nd chance points.

This will be the difference -- boards and foul trouble.

Dower fouls out with 7 mins to play and subsequently, forced to play w/ foul trouble the entire game.

Karnowski plays sound bball off the bench, yet a bit overwhelmed with the physicality, elbows, and hard box outs. He becomes a bit rattled, but turns in good effort and hustle.

Elias still playing at 70% and unable to make up the difference. He can't rebound every ball by himself.

Our guards(of course) play well, shoot well, and do a nice job on both sides of the court, yet simply not enough to negate the consistent, lackadaisical post-defense, foul trouble by our bigs(Dower & KarnowskI), and most importantly being out-rebounded by 12. Elias feels forced to make a presence and turns the ball over too many times.

The good: our perimeter defense, shooting, passing, and execution when given an opportunity. We'll have one chance to get it right due to lack of o-boards.

The bad: our post defense, rebounding, defensive boards, lack of crashing the offensive boards.

Thus,

'Eers 74
'Dogs 64

Sensing a 10-pt loss from what I've seen by this team so far. We can score with the best of 'em and will shoot well, yet our rebounding has been sub-par and so has our post-defense -- this was exposed vs SUU, yet those bigs couldn't convert when they burnt us underneath. Again, 2ND CHANCE POINTS WILL BE THE DOUBLE-DIGIT DIFFERENCE.

btw, I desperately want to eat crow.

Lastly, I also watched WVU's exhibition game vs Glenville on Root sports and was thoroughly impressed by the size, strength, and rebounding technique by their bigs.

Our strengths are their weaknesses and vice versa. It will be close but tough to overcome the offensive put-backs and kick-outs and reset of shot clocks.

You want that crow with feathers, feets and head, more filling, or just snack on the head and feets and save the rest for later. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

Reborn
11-12-2012, 03:45 PM
So now we know that in Reborn's eyes, that 3 hour time difference is worth 5 points to the Mountaineers and 0 points to the Zags? You are too funny.

It was a case of simple math Uber. Initially I gave them 63 points. After discovering the game is at Midnight Eastern Time I took 5 points away from them for having tired legs, this changing their score to 58. I left Gonzaga's score at 77 because they are playing at home.

Actually on a neutral court the score will be much closer. It is so often reported that teams on the road have a ten point disadvantage just by playing on the road. I increased that disadvantage by 5 more points because of the late start. If these two teams played on a neutral court and in a decent time zone that GU would win by 3 points at this time of year. I do believe WVU has a pretty good team, but we'll learn more tonight.

I don't like fans taking ### shots at me when they don't even have the facts straight..

UberZagFan
11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
It was a case of simple math Uber. Initially I gave them 63 points. After discovering the game is at Midnight Eastern Time I took 5 points away from them for having tired legs, this changing their score to 58. I left Gonzaga's score at 77 because they are playing at home.

Actually on a neutral court the score will be much closer. It is so often reported that teams on the road have a ten point disadvantage just by playing on the road. I increased that disadvantage by 5 more points because of the late start. If these two teams played on a neutral court and in a decent time zone that GU would win by 3 points at this time of year. I do believe WVU has a pretty good team, but we'll learn more tonight.

I don't like fans taking ### shots at me when they don't even have the facts straight..

Well, Uber wasn't taking any P0T shots at anyone. Just thought it was funny that you chose to drop WVU 5 points because of the game time but kept GU's score the same.