PDA

View Full Version : Monday night: The acid test

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-10-2012, 10:38 AM
West Virginia will answer some questions about the Zags. Are we as strong as we think we are? Can we, as a young team, match up w/ the very good teams? If things aren't working out, can we 'adjust' to overcome any unpleasant surprises?

As a Zags fan, I'd answer 'Yes" to all the above. I'm not using the first 2 games as my reasoning because we did what we should have done in those two contests. I think our team chemistry has developed to the point that we are waiting for youth and experience to catch up. West Virginia better bring everything they have if they are to succeed in The Kennel.

Go Zags!!

bartruff1
11-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The tests will be down the road, on the road... in a hostile environment in a different time zone and maybe even in Sunny California in the same time zone...

Oregonzagnut
11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
I think this is an ACID test for WVU Huggins more than for us. This is truly going to be one of his most difficult road games by playing a top 20 team right off the bat. This will be their first game of the season so if they have any "kinks" to work out, we can expose them and keep on rolling. But in a way you are correct, this team is a calibre that will definitely be our first real test. no cupcake.

This is definitely our first REAL test of the season, and if we can win easily or if we barely win, it will give us an idea how good we really are and how consistent we need to be until WCC play begins. We can be undefeated on Jan 1st!

But winning the Old Spice will be our biggest test. IMO.

But we can't forget Baylor! Baylor will be our biggest win of the season and solidify us in the top 10. But even still, December is all tough!!! WSU, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, Illinois AND Baylor!

UKWildcatsFan
11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Definitely going to be a tough test. Looking over West Virginia's roster Deniz Kilicli is the only guy I'd really be worried about. He might be able to do some work down low, I think he will test Gonzaga's toughness, and if they respond accordingly Gonzaga should definitely be able to win the game.

Baldwinzag
11-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Definitely going to be a tough test. Looking over West Virginia's roster Deniz Kilicli is the only guy I'd really be worried about. He might be able to do some work down low, I think he will test Gonzaga's toughness, and if they respond accordingly Gonzaga should definitely be able to win the game.

What 'bout Aaric Murray?

he pretty much averaged a double-double at his previous school(La Salle), plus 2.5 blocks per game...big body at 6'10", 255 lbs...athletic as all get out too...

UKWildcatsFan
11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
What 'bout Aaric Murray?

he pretty much averaged a double-double at his previous school(La Salle), plus 2.5 blocks per game...big body at 6'10", 255 lbs...athletic as all get out too...

Good call, thanks. I guess I missed him looking at the roster.

roxdoc
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
If I were Huggy my game plan would be to go right at Special K. I have fouls to burn so lets see if we can pin a few on him. With Special K out our bigs can put on a clinic. Mods feel free to remove if you think Huggy is a visitor :D

DCZag
11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Sam is the starter - or at least he was Fri. So this is all conjecture - Sam will start and WVU will game plan for him first and then PK as the sub...give PK some time to acclimate before making him "the guy"....

Reborn
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Good thread. This will be our first test to see how good we are. To beat WV the Zags will nead to play at a completely differenet level. The Zags had better not be overconfident like some fans here. Your questions are all legitimate.

WV is a real good team, and to think otherwise is rediculous. I don't think anyone knows how good they really are, but we know they have a very good coach and that means a lot. I appreciate Huggins so much for coming to play the Zags in K2. Not many coaches at his level have the guts to do it. It's a sign to me that he respects Mark FEw and the Zags alot. Huggy Bear has got to be one of my favorite coaches.

The reason this is a tough game for GU is because we SHOULD win, and win fairly easy. This worries me a little. The other thing that worries me is that in the past two years the Zags lost to Michigan St and San Diego St, both tough games at home. I felt GU would win both of those games and never got it done. I had no idea that San Diego St would be as good as they turned out to be; so Im not going into this game Monday feeling over confident.

Personally, I don't believe in acid tests. I am one who believes in taking each team seriously, and one at a time. One good way to get knocked off is to look ahead and begin to think that there are games in the future which should be tougher then the game at hand.

Oregonzagnut
11-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Personally, I don't believe in acid tests. I am one who believes in taking each team seriously, and one at a time. One good way to get knocked off is to look ahead and begin to think that there are games in the future which should be tougher then the game at hand.

+1

This was a problem for us in the way we seemed to play up or down to our opponents in the past. I think this year will have no sense of ease up or clock management. All out all the time. If you do that, you don't look past your next game.

Reborn
11-10-2012, 07:33 PM
+1

This was a problem for us in the way we seemed to play up or down to our opponents in the past. I think this year will have no sense of ease up or clock management. All out all the time. If you do that, you don't look past your next game.

right on