• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goshzagit
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Do you prefer?

the 10-11 man rotation i.e. "5 minutes, then substitute" approach as Coach Few stated will be the case this season. More along the lines of Hockey rotation, 3-4 new players on the floor every 5-10 minutes. Its what we saw in exhibition, Game 1, and in Few's post-game interviews. Completely different lineups all the time.

OR

a 7-8 core rotation at key positions, more along the lines of NBA substitutions i.e. a guy here and there based on match-ups or player performance. A post for a post, a PG for a PG, but by and large, the same lineup on the floor at same time. Not 4 guards then back to 2 guards, then 3 PG's, then all new front court etc.

Not good or bad or right or wrong, just preference I suppose -- and I don't have one. I enjoy depth, but don't prefer forcing players in lineup or disrupting rhythm or momentum either. Then again, nice to keep players fresh and allow others to shine or contribute. Also, can keep opposition off balance to adjust to new lineups, or could potentially hinder your best talent as they are unable to ride the "hot hand" or get in a groove otherwise. Pros & Cons to each, yet if you got 'em might as well play 'em, right?

Thoughts? What would you like to see?
  • zagfan24
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2008

My personal preference is to eventually have a platoon of 4 or so players that come in off the bench together. I like the idea of the 2nd unit building cohesiveness. As far as time on the floor goes, it's a tough balance between rhythm and fatigue. I thought Few did a great job in this respect last night.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Either system will work.........

against the vastly inferior competition of these opening two games, and against a lot of the WCC. However, IMHO, the platooning strategy will absolutely not work against teams with similar or superior talent to our starting 5. Case in point, the dropoff in talent is huge between our first and second 5, especially in the back court. Specifically, huge dropoffs occur when comparing Pangos/Stocks, GBJ/Draino or ??, and GLE/Draino or Hart. The dropoff between Elias/Hart or ?? is even steeper. The argument can be made at this point in the season that there isn't a dropoff between Dower/Karno, but I expect Karno will be starting soon and that argument will be moot.

So, my obvious preference is for a specialized rotation, rather than sticking with a specific number of players, with the non-starters used for limited minutes in specific roles or as part of a 4-man big rotation. For example, Stocks is a capable backup to Pangos for 4-6 minutes a game, to give Pangos a rest. Also, Hart is a good substitution for 3-5 minutes a game to inject some defensive energy, on inbounds situations, or to take a charge. Plus Draino can supply 3-5 minutes a game at a couple of positions. Finally, with the speed Coach wants to use this year, a rotation of 4 bigs (Elias, Dower, KO, and Karno) is necessary to keep fresh legs on the bigs.

Those are the guys who should see the floor during a typical game, when you add GBJ and GLE to the names above. That rotation pattern doesn't leave a lot of rest for GBJ, but with Coach looking more comfortable with Pangos and Stocks on the floor at the same time (not my preference), plus going with a big lineup at times (Elias/GLE, Hart/GLE, or Elias/Hart plus two bigs and a point guard), GBJ should be able to get adequate rest. However, against the elite teams, it wouldn't surprise me to see GBJ and Pangos out there for 38+ minutes, and against those teams Stocks and Pangos should never be on the floor at the same time.

It will definitely be fun to watch as the season unfolds. I hope that, even more than most years, Coach uses the season to build this team for March, when it really matters and when a platoon system will get chewed up and spit out.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• MickMick
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

Coach Few can be flexible.

Against the best teams, he will put the best combination on the floor. In the meantime, it is best to keep his player's collective heads in the game.

This platooning gives him flexibility and diversity to put in various combinations at will. He can readily configure a lineup to counter the various styles he will face.

When a player proves to be a liability, he is easily replaced by another that has plenty of minutes under his belt.

The "drawback" is that those who selfishly desire an All American may not find one with the current distribution of playing time. There will be no one single player to put up gaudy statistics. The exception may be Karnowski as Few historically loves to work inside out when he has the players capable of doing that. As PK grows, Sam could be seeing a much different role as the season progresses. Especially when KO comes back.

Competition breeds excellence. I'm a fan of the Pete Carrol philosophy. I want the primary players to know that they can not take plays off.

I like what GU is doing. I like the flexibility and diversity. Keep in mind that there is nothing set in stone with respect to substitutions.
        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I just don't think we can properly evaluate the rotation and how it is going to ultimately be until Kelly Olynyk comes back. For example, the action that we saw last night with Stockton/Bell/Pangos playing at the same time is not likely to happen nearly as much once GU has its full cupboard of big men.

Comment

• Vanzagger
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

we don't have a talent problem to "tinker" with. We have a math problem. Some egos will get hurt. But like Dickau said in pre game....winning solves a lot of hurt feelings. So play your horses and coach them up(ON D): )
            Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• jimmy b
              Kennel Club Material
              • Oct 2007

prefer big rotation

with liberal substitutions.
              We've essentially seen an 8 man rotation for last decade.
              I think with this team and different talents, mixing up the combinations for the situation makes us hard to beat or plan for. I can see 10-11 guys getting good run.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                My personal preference is to eventually have a platoon of 4 or so players that come in off the bench together. I like the idea of the 2nd unit building cohesiveness. As far as time on the floor goes, it's a tough balance between rhythm and fatigue. I thought Few did a great job in this respect last night.
                Substitute your second team in to rest your starters will get each team familiar with each other during games. This is what I saw in each first half. Talk about match up problems and forcing their guys to make crazy transitions. The Pangos/Dower starting team, or the Karno Stockton team!

Pick your poison. IMO, the Karno /Stockton team was most efficient, especially defensively. IT took about 10 minutes for Dower to get into form.
                “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

I think as the year progresses we'll see an 8 or 9 man rotation, especially in the tougher games. Remember that we really haven't played anyone tough yet. I'm reserving alot of my thoughts until after the game Monday night.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X