PDA

View Full Version : Improvement all around

jimmy b
11-10-2012, 08:23 AM
It's only one game and may not be indicative of rest of season but what I saw last night was hustle, chemistry and teamwork on the court. I also saw great improvement. Of note:

Players: Edi isn't the same, Stockton made another off season jump, GBj and others have added dimensions to their games, and we have yet to see the player reputed to be most improved, KO.

Coaches: We could be looking at a legitimate 10-11 man rotation. The shuffling in of fresh pieces and combinations of different skillsets makes us a tough matchup for anyone. I hope the rotation stays large as it's a competitive advantage, as even the 9th and 10th guys are players.

Broadcast team: Say what you will about Heister, but last nights game was the best of this crew ever IMO. Great to have DD back. Good insights from former players close to the program that understand the game.

Stay healthy and this looks to be a really fun season.

BobZag
11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Pangos has added a few nice wrinkles to his game that caught my eye. He really impressed me.

MickMick
11-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Pangos has added a few nice wrinkles to his game that caught my eye. He really impressed me.

Very unselfish. He could average 20.

Pangos hoops IQ is off the chart. He rarely makes mistakes. Almost always a positive play.

Baldwinzag
11-10-2012, 09:14 AM

No doubt. His dribble-drive moves are vastly underrated. It will show even vs the best of teams. Just outstanding, especially for his attributes. Kev features a hesitation step, crossover, and fake that is second to none. Easily the best on the team these days at getting past his defender, although maybe not the best at finishing, like GBJ or even Stockton.

That said, Pangos was most impressive player all-around for me. Just in complete control. Knew where every player was at on the floor and found them at will. Understood the game plan, took what the defense game him, and made sure to get the reserves involved when they were on the court. I don't mind when Stocks plays alongside Pangos, but don't like it at all when he isn't in the game. We become a bit too one-on-one, isolated, and lose spacing when Gary or Stocks ran the Point. As good as those two looked, the complexion of our offense suffered mightily without him on the court, even when he played off-guard with Stocks at PG -- it made all the difference.

Gotta keep him in the game w/o burning him out i.e. Bouldin or Delly style (looking at 35+ mins, at least I hope -- play around with the depth with all the other guys:))

Vanzagger
11-10-2012, 10:57 AM
effort. Pangos is Awesome. Great ball movement. Lot's of off season leaps....nice work fellas.

At the 3:47 mark of the first half, Pangos(listed 6'2) was our smallest player on the court. I'm just saying.....that's my kind of line up. It was nice to have big guards out there together. It got rocking and we went on a big run. My buzz was harshed about 2 minutes later, but I will take it when I can get it.

Let's face it. It would be hard to screw this up. Dickau and Fox love the kiddy line up. I just hope we don't sell ourselves short when it comes to playing a team with a McDonald's All American or 3 on it. OH KNOW

Focus on D yesterday and let the horses run

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Gotta keep him in the game w/o burning him out i.e. Bouldin or Delly style (looking at 35+ mins, at least I hope -- play around with the depth with all the other guys:))

It is nice to have a few quality players who can share the PG load so that we don't have to burn him out. Stockton, Bell, and Dranginis all look capable of handling the ball and running the offense for stretches of the game.

Oregonzagnut
11-10-2012, 01:49 PM
It's only one game and may not be indicative of rest of season but what I saw last night was hustle, chemistry and teamwork on the court.

That is for sure! But IMO, we haven't been this good with chemistry and teamwork, EVER! We have 2 teams that could start. Few finally has the option to NOT TINKER with lineups constantly. This year since NN and SUU were played nearly identical in strategy and substitutions, I expect the same thing against WVU. And it WILL WORK! We will have needed Kelly against WV, but when it works against WVU, we may be looking at a formula that can beat anyone, including IU and KU. The fact that each team will have fresh legs as a group means we can keep up the defensive intensity as a team for 40 minutes. IMO, that showed clearly in our defense last night. That defensive intensity gave us 28 TO's and almost 25 points off of turnovers. SUU shot 49% so IMO it was our defense that made this a blow out.

I think how Few is using 2 near complete teams (minus edi and Harris as seniors) may be precisely indicative of our season. If this is a harbinger of fate.... I'm in!

hooter73
11-10-2012, 04:49 PM
We haven't even seen pangos and bell even break a sweat. Kanos patience is amazing to me. And gle is not the same player. Once kd gets comfortable, we will have a great rotation. Stockton looks good to me but I think he may have adopted some of carters bad drive to the hoop every time habits.