PDA

View Full Version : Write up on Patrick Mills

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2007, 06:59 PM
From NBAdraft.net:

Patrick Mills 5-11 PG -- Top floor general in this tournament, he is always in charge and knows what his team is doing. Very good speed and ball handling, passing is above average but not outstanding. He shows flashes that he can be a good passer but is often too focused on scoring. His FG shooting is fearless, sometimes it's amazing how he gets shots off. In clutch situations he wants the ball and delivers. His drives and body control while finishing in the lane is outstanding, always coming up with a scoop shot or a floater. He has good hang time as his athleticism is good, just not outstanding. His FT shot is mechanical but he makes a solid percentage. Has a thin frame that could use some muscle but that doesn't keep him from absorbing any kind of contact. For NBA, his speed is not blazing which makes him a liability because of his size, but at his age there are not many better floor generals out there.

This was the guy that I was all over about a year ago, asking if we still had Aussie connections. He's as good, if not better than Pargo now and St. Mary's got a steal. If he was american/canadian he would've been a 5* elite prospect. When I saw him a few years ago at the Hoops Summit, I was in awe. The only other player that got my attention in that tourney over the years was Dirk Nowitzki. Man, I wish we had gotten this guy. I'm feeling the same way about Devoe Joseph, but it doesn't look like he's on GU's radar either.

Nevtelen
07-29-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree that Mills is going to be good. I watched him play in the U19 games a week ago or whenever that was and I've followed some of the things that have been posted about him over on the SMC board and other places. I really do think that he's going to have an adjustment coming over to D-I ball. He'll show flashes this year, but won't be anything near 'better than Pargo' yet. He scores a ton, but his shooting percentage isn't that great overall and his to/assist ratio needs some work. My prediction is he'll have to work some bugs out at the beginning, but will evolve well. He hasn't had to consistently play against great competition like he will have to in D-I. There will be guys who are as fast as he is and taller, too. Anyway, point being I agree that St Mary's got a steal and he has a real chance to be one of the best guards in the WCC, but I don't think he'll be dominating the league this year or anything. If he works hard, I'm sure he'll be fantastic in a season or two, once he adjusts. Just my 2 cents.

CDC84
07-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Mills is going to have to work on the same thing that Pargo did when he arrived at GU...perimeter shooting. As the report describes, he needs bulk (as do most frosh). But everything about his ability to take it to the rack and his abilities to run a team as described in the scouting report pretty much jive with what I've read and heard.

He is without a doubt one of the best players to commit to a non-Gonzaga WCC school in quite awhile, and he will be a source of a lot of headaches for WCC opponents in the coming years.

saintzag
07-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I wonder how WSU with their ties to Australia missed out on him.

lothar98zag
07-30-2007, 03:15 PM
...He's as good, if not better than Pargo now...

I'll believe it when I see it.

...St. Mary's got a steal...

:agreed:

OZZag
08-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey guys, here's an update on Mills for you, He may not be Pargo, but our Aussie boy is not too shabby eh!

http://sportal.com.au/default.aspx/Basketball-news-display/bolter-mills-named-in-boomers-squad-33319

RenoZag
11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
He sure as hell doesn't need to work on his outside shooting.

He and Pargo will have some serious wars this year.

gonza
11-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Anyone who watched any part of the Oregon / St. Maries game would be impressed. I'll say it now - St. Maries will be in the NCAA tourney.

CDC84
11-20-2007, 09:37 PM
He sure as hell doesn't need to work on his outside shooting

He shot 4-13 from the 3 point line tonight. 30.7%.

As great as this win was for SMC, there is no denying the absence of Oregon's Bryce Taylor. Taylor is probably Oregon's best all around player and defender, and he probably would've been assigned to Mills once he started shredding their defense. The Ducks just had no one with the size and strength to bother Mills.

As for Mills, his abilities to run an offense and make plays for others are extremely advanced for a PG his age. He was in total control...the best guard on the floor tonight.

BTW....Pargo weighs about 45 more pounds than this kid, and that's muscle. It'll be fun to see Mills and Pargo go at it. Pargo can do things on the floor that Mills couldn't dream of doing, but I wish Pargo would take a cue from the kid's decision making and protection of the basketball....at least based on what went on tonight at SMC.

VinnyZag
11-20-2007, 11:04 PM
I wonder how WSU with their ties to Australia missed out on him.

SMC's Aussie ties are better. This is an AP story I read over the weekend. Don't know if it's been posted:

By JANIE McCAULEY<\n>AP Sports Writer
MORAGA, Calif. (AP) — Carlin Hughes took the microphone at Midnight Madness and taught the Saint Mary’s supporters a chant from his homeland.
“Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!”
The tiny college tucked in the hills east of San Francisco may be thousands of miles from Australia, but at Gaels home games this season McKeon Pavilion is the land Down Under.
Hughes and two fellow Aussies have helped Saint Mary’s to its best start in more than a decade. With their play and likable personalities, they have quickly become celebrities on campus.
“We have a few mates around,” Hughes said. “The more the merrier.”
Students call out that Aussie catchphrase each time Hughes, Patty Mills or Lucas Walker scores. Men at Work’s popular tune “Down Under” blares from the sound system during timeouts. The only thing missing is Vegemite sandwiches in the concession stands.
“They are the most popular kids on campus,” athletic director Mark Orr said.
Mills has already given the Gaels plenty to celebrate.
A highly regarded freshman guard who helped Australia qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Mills has lived up to his billing. Whether it’s with his relentless ball pressure, a crisp crosscourt pass or a pretty drive to the basket with his off hand, he’s making an immediate impact for a team expected to challenge favored Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference.
He had 17 points, five assists and four steals in his college debut, a victory over Division II Sonoma State on Nov. 9, then scored 10 points the next night while in foul trouble.
In a win against Cal State Bakersfield on Tuesday, Mills had six assists, five steals and no turnovers — and the Gaels finished with only five, their fewest since at least 1996.
“I enjoy coming to the games to watch him,” said seventh-year coach Randy Bennett, who two years ago took his team on a tour in Australia. “He’s a freshman and comes in with a lot of buzz, but he’s handled that well. As a point guard, he knows this has to be his team and he has to take charge. He’s doing that quietly.”
Mills’ toughest test yet at this level will come in a home game Tuesday night against No. 11 Oregon.
“It’s going to be pretty big time,” he said.
When Mills arrived at school this fall, the coaches had to order him to rest his body for a few weeks following a busy summer with the Australian national team. He regained his rhythm in no time.
It wasn’t even an official practice and Mills was going full speed on each possession, clapping his hands to scold himself for a missed 3-pointer then confidently sinking consecutive long jumpers another time down in the Shirts-versus-Skins scrimmage.
Saint Mary’s is a program committing key resources to finding some of the top Aussies and bringing them to the laid-back Bay Area. Assistant coach David Patrick spent 10 years in Australia and has played a key recruiting role.
The coaches sell their school several ways: There’s the chance to play in the competitive WCC while going to college in a close-knit community in sunny and progressive Northern California.
“That’s handy, real handy,” Hughes said.
Mills might easily have ended up at West Virginia or Utah playing a more limited role his first year had it not been for the established Australian connection at Saint Mary’s.
Two seasons ago, Australian Daniel Kickert became the school’s career scoring leader, and there’s already talk that Mills is an even better shooter than Kickert.
“It’s a nice little area that reminds me of home,” Mills said. “One of the factors, as silly as it sounds, is we’re only one flight away from home, knowing as well there have been other Australians in the WCC. Everyone dreams of being in the NBA one day and the college route is a better path for us in development. Coming here is almost like a family with the coaching staff.”
With the Australian professional leagues no longer considered the most secure financial choice, going to college has become a viable and preferred alternative for many Australian players looking to both get an education and get their game noticed on a big stage in the United States.
“It’s more of an option now,” Walker said.
Other players have certainly paved the way, too, from Eddie Palubinskas in the 1970s to Andrew Gaze in the ‘80s.
More recently, the success of Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft out of Utah, helped put Australian basketball on the map. And don’t forget Seattle Storm star and Aussie Lauren Jackson, the first selection in the 2001 WNBA draft.
“I think we’re getting more recognition,” said Ben Allen, who is sitting out this season after transferring from Indiana. “Players are improving here.”
Hughes and Walker each transferred to Saint Mary’s from Montana State-Billings. Mills had several other options and chose to play for the Gaels with the hopes of bringing prominence to a program that has watched Gonzaga dominate the league for the last decade.
Another Aussie, 6-foot-4 freshman forward Louella Tomlinson, is playing for the Gaels’ women’s team.
Mills was Patrick’s towel boy on the Canberra Cannons, and being that Mills is an only child, his parents were more inclined to let him go knowing Patrick would be nearby to help.
“He was a good player, but I wasn’t even thinking of him being a college player,” Patrick said of his early days watching Mills, an indigenous Australian.
Patrick has either played for every one of his Aussie players’ coaches or has played against them. Born in Bermuda, Patrick lived in Australia for 10 years until he left at age 17 to pursue a playing career in the United States, starting with his final high school season.
“Probably the No. 1 thing for the kids is their parents can call me if there’s a problem,” said Patrick, the first Bermudian to play professionally. “They speak English but there are still cultural differences.”
In his second season on the Saint Mary’s staff, Patrick coached five Australians during his one season at Nicholls State under J.P. Piper. The Colonels still have five Aussies on their roster and will play at Saint Mary’s on Nov. 24.
Patrick is still using all his connections Down Under.
“It’s definitely a pipeline,” starting forward Diamon Simpson said. “It’s opening up my mind to a lot of different things: foods, the AFL. They’re so funny and all good guys.”
Patrick is a big reason the Aussies come to Saint Mary’s. He makes three or four trips to Australia a year, combining recruiting and visits with family and friends.
“We’re not the only school over there anymore,” Patrick said. “We have to be over there. It’s not untapped anymore.”

Law Zag In Training
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Mills = Very good.

Better than Pargo right now? Come on. I won't say that he can't develop into a better player than Pargo, or is a better player than Pargo was when he was a Frosh. However, right now Pargo is the better PG. More experiance, more poise, better at creating offense on his own, better defender...

Also, I don't think there is a coach in the nation that would take mills over mayo or especially rose. Nobody is debating he is very good, but seriously, get a grip of reality.

MickMick
11-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Mills = Very good.

Better than Pargo right now? Come on. I won't say that he can't develop into a better player than Pargo, or is a better player than Pargo was when he was a Frosh. However, right now Pargo is the better PG. More experiance, more poise, better at creating offense on his own, better defender...

Also, I don't think there is a coach in the nation that would take mills over mayo or especially rose. Nobody is debating he is very good, but seriously, get a grip of reality.

After watching Pargo this season and Mills this season..I have to disagree. In fact, in Pargo's three years here, I have not seen him play as well as Mills did tonight.

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the truth hurts. The Emporer has no clothes...so why not admit it?

Point Guards make people around them better and take care of the basketball. I could care less about ESPN play of the day dunks.

ZagManFan
11-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Just a quick question.

When and who was the last WCC team to be ranked (other than GU)?

Nevtelen
11-21-2007, 12:57 AM
After watching Pargo this season and Mills this season..I have to disagree. In fact, in Pargo's three years here, I have not seen him play as well as Mills did tonight.

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the truth hurts. The Emporer has no clothes...so why not admit it?

Point Guards make people around them better and take care of the basketball. I could care less about ESPN play of the day dunks.

I think you have to clearly give the nod to Mills at the moment for best PG in the conference. I'm not giving up on Pargo, but comparing his A/TO ratio with Mills' so far and his decision making with Mills' clearly favors Mills. OTOH, as CDC pointed out, Pargo can do things physically Mills just can't and he also has the ability to just take over games - take Stanford last year. Both are great players, but Mills is a superior PG right now.

One thing Mills hasn't done yet is handle vs strong D - Oregon's D was a joke, esp in the 2nd half. They wanted to play like it was a shoot-out and got shot out of the gym. It'll be interesting to see how Mills plays against, say S Illinois. If he gets 37 and 5 assists with 1 TO in _that_ game... he'll probably be leaving for the NBA sooner rather than later.