PDA

View Full Version : Zags are off and runnin....1-0

Reborn
11-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Wow! This game was even alot better than the preseason one. 103 points is pretty darn good. Oregonzagnut wasn't too far off. And as good as I thought Karnowski and Edi played in the non-season game, they were better tonight and led the team in scoring. They are great examples of perpetual motion, which by the way the whole team is really. Stockton is unbelievable. His defense so far this year is exceptional. For all of us who wanted to see good passing, tonight was a great example of it. I was very impressed with Dranginis' passing. Geeze and I haven't even said anything yet about, Pangos, Bell, Harris and Dower. That is how good our team is.

zag67
11-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the stats for the game. Yes, it was fun to watch and they did look super. Keep it up on Monday.

MickMick
11-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Dranginis has high hoops IQ.

Stockton is damn good. I never thought he would become this good. I always thought of him as being close to his ceiling. A quantum leap in the off season. Consider me to be very surprised.

Amazing.

zaguarxj
11-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Dranginis has high hoops IQ.

Stockton is damn good. I never thought he would become this good. I always thought of him as being close to his ceiling. A quantum leap in the off season. Consider me to be very surprised.

Amazing.Draino had an interesting score-line, with 17 minutes, 4 rebounds, 3 assits, and only took one shot. Making a difference without scoring...

KStyles
11-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the stats for the game. Yes, it was fun to watch and they did look super. Keep it up on Monday.

ESPN has box scores for every game, I've linked tonight's below. I believe you can find the box scores on the schedule at gozags.com as well.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=323142250

zagfan24
11-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Draino had an interesting score-line, with 17 minutes, 4 rebounds, 3 assits, and only took one shot. Making a difference without scoring...

Agree. I was very impressed with Kyle's patience and he made some outstanding passes. I was also really pleased with the defensive effort. I think GLE is going to bring a great dynamic at the 3 position and I loved the occasional half court trap the Zags threw at them.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-10-2012, 04:38 AM
I saw a lot of good things, last night:

1. The defensive pressure on both ends was outstanding. They forced a lot of turnovers and kept SUU from getting into any kind of offensive flow. There is a lot of depth on that bench and the second unit does not let up on the defensive end. This will enable our guys to play at a pace the wears opponents down over the course of a game.

2. GLE has improved a lot. He looked far more sure of himself. If he plays like that going forward, those debates about who should start at the 3 spot are over.

3. Mike Hart has improved offensively. He showed some good ball-handling and passing and just looked more confident with the ball in his hands. GLE has improved more, but the combination of GLE, Hart, Barnum, and Dranginis gives us a lot of depth on the wing and they all rebound, defend, and take care of the ball.

4. I didn't think Stockton would improve much more than he already had, but he has gotten quicker, stronger, and more aggressive. He is an excellent back up point guard and would start for a lot of teams.

5. That bench is better than a lot of starting teams around the country. I can't remember a better second five in Gonzaga history. There are good players at every position who seem content with their roles. They hustle on defense, they play within the offense, and just look like they are having a lot of fun when they get their turn to play.

What I didn't like:

1. They allowed SUU to block too many shots.

2. The bigs did not rebound well enough. Karnivore and Dower had three rebounds each. That needs to get better against better teams. Dranginis, Edi, and Hart all had better rebounding numbers than the centers.

DCZag
11-10-2012, 04:46 AM
I was pleased all-around with the game. PK was kinda nervous looking the first half - was rushing too much. He settled down in the second half and looked just as advertised (One and done? A little early for that prognosis IMHO). We need to improve the rebounding and shoot better from the FT line. 70% or better should be the goal.

Overall a great start - bring on WVU!

rijman
11-10-2012, 06:47 AM
I thought the Zags looked good, PK settled down in the 2nd half and is playing better than I would have thought at this point. But the player that really impressed me was GLE. All off season I was focused on PK, KO, Dower and the guards and kinda forgot about GLE. He played well on both ends of the court last night with 16 pts, 7 boards, 2 steals, no to's or fouls in 21 minutes. With PK progressing quickly, if KO plays as advertised, the guards play as well as anticipated and we get improvement in the 3 spot, GU will be tough to beat.

Reborn
11-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Wow! I have to say something about Edi throwing that one down on the fast break. Whew!!! It reminded me of Pargo. Edi is certainly much better this year, which I thought he would be. And he's looking better and better in that zone press.

I also want to say something about PK's defense. Our defense against the pick and roll looks much better when he's in there. He defends the guard very well, and then really hustles back into the paint. His hustle is something that I have not seen out of a low post player. I am so impressed with him, and I do hope he stays at GU for two years.

CarolinaZagFan
11-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Karno and Edi were our two best players last night. Completely amazed by what I saw from both of them. I know it was Southern Utah (no offense to any Thunderbirds out there) but they blew me away. Edi looks twice as good as last year. Also I don't know if I've ever seen a Freshman that big, that moves that well, has his offensive skill set and his motor. He's going to be special.

I also couldn't believe what I saw out of Stockton! That kid just keeps getting better and better and would be getting 30+ minutes a game at a ton of quality basketball schools.

I can't wait for Monday to get a better grip on the potential of this team, but I'm very excited about this season. Could be a special one as long as we get lucky with the injury stuff.

RenoZag
11-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Official Box Score (http://www.gozags.com/ViewContent.dbml?SPSID=627537&SPID=90846&CONTENT_ID=252472&DB_OEM_ID=26400#GAME.BOX)