PDA

View Full Version : Fairly objective article

MTZag03
11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi all. I have not seen this up here yet. It's a fair assessment of Gonzaga this year, with a healthy dose of realism. There aren't any new revelations for any of us, but it was a good read.

http://www.theupsetblog.com/2012/11/gonzaga-2012-season-preview-1.html

MTZag03
11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Continuation of the post above: more detail, gets into records and scheduling.

http://www.theupsetblog.com/2012/11/gonzaga-2012-season-preview-2.html#more

jazzdelmar
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Splash of cold water.

FrahmfortheWin
11-08-2012, 05:01 PM
good link

3zagda
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
After that, I need more Kool-Aid!

MTZag03
11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm drinking the Kool-aid hard this year. I really think we can be something special. I think the talent is in place for a run. That said...

I was surprised by the breakdown of where GU's wins in the last 3 years are. 2-9 vs top-25! For once I'd like some of our quality early season wins to go on and have a good season. It's always disheartening on Selection Sunday to see we're something like 4-6 verus likely tournament teams, with usually 2 of those wins versus St Mary's. How many teams that we beat just fall apart in conference play and end up on the bubble or completely out of it? We always schedule hard on paper but it often doesn't pan out.

JPtheBeasta
11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I liked this part:

The team also put a fourth new guy down in the cellar (Providence Friar transfer Gerard Coleman) and brought a fifth and sixth up out of it (Kyle Dranginis and Kelly Olynyk). Dranginis has aged like a fine Carmenere. Olynyk may have just aged, like how Benjamin Button aged, except in reverse, like, the normal method that a human ages, although we won't know until everyone gets to Lake Buena Vista, Fla., on Thanksgiving because of matters it behooves us to avoid discussing.

It seems to be written by a Zag fan (twitter name @Zagacious) but he forgot Carter's name. Shame, shame :)

Very entertaining read, though.

(I was also taken aback by the disproportionately large posterior on Lefebvre. It almost looks photoshopped...)

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-09-2012, 03:11 AM
This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change.”
― Taylor Swift

“FEARLESS' is not the absence of fear.
It's not being completely unafraid.
FEARLESS is having fears.
FEARLESS is having doubts. Lots of them.
FEARLESS is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.
FEARLESS is getting back up and fighting for what you want all over again... even though every time you've tried before, you've lost.
It's FEARLESS to have faith that someday things will change…
- Taylor Swift

When all is said and done the key variables for this team will be focus and heart. For most teams even those that cut the nets down there will be a valley at some point. It will take fearlessness and heart to persevere.

I DO BELIEVE unlike other years that we will be completely there at the right time this year and will NOT get beat in the Tournament. YES that means we win the National Championship.

We can talk about the 2-9 issue ad nauseam but when is the last time a WINNER won with a losing mentality? The answer is NEVER!

Yes I believe Coach Few and his team will break through this year. :) Lets just stay healthy.

Warmest
Val

Zagdawg
11-09-2012, 06:36 AM
No mention of Edi-- he needs to do a little more homework.

Edi is going to have an impact this year-- between his athleticism and ability to make plays-- I see him contributing to the Zags success.

The way I see it through my Zags colored glasses -- Few is taking a limited number of top 100players and turning it into a top 30 program.

That takes coaching and player development.