PDA

View Full Version : A Prediction (slightly OT)

Angelo Roncalli
11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Tomorrow night the USF men open against Stanford in Oracle Arena in Oakland.

On the 16th, the Lady Zags have their home opener against Wisconsin in McCarthey.

Prediction: The Lady Zags will play in front of a larger crowd.

MickMick
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
You are gonna hear it now Angelo.

The moral indignation will be at a fever pitch.

FlyZag
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Read that only 2500 tickets have been sold at Oracle.

Angelo Roncalli
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Read that only 2500 tickets have been sold at Oracle.

To gin up sales maybe they could offer a pre-game buffet featuring 7-11 bean burritos, shots of Jack Daniels and dime sacks of crystal meth to attract some Raiders fans (sorry Reno).

zaguarxj
11-08-2012, 04:08 PM
The Dons fans will say that it's because Spokane is such a podunk town, there's nothing better for us to do. Little do they know that I'm skipping a perfectly good goat-shaving party just to see those Lady Zags.

MDABE80
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
You are gonna hear it now Angelo.

The moral indignation will be at a fever pitch.

Boy will he ever. Those guys.............

Zag4Hire
11-09-2012, 04:31 AM
To gin up sales maybe they could offer a pre-game buffet featuring 7-11 bean burritos, shots of Jack Daniels and dime sacks of crystal meth to attract some Raiders fans (sorry Reno).

Uh what? I would guess a similar promotion would work at the Spokane Arena as well.

Also I think this speaks more to the Stanford fan base than the USF fan base (apparently if USF isn't playing Gonzaga, nobody cares about USF basketball--we all know that and accept that as fact and most USF fans I speak to try not to acknowledge it). A number of years back, Gonzaga faced a #1 or #3 Stanford team and the place was rocking. GU had great representation and both fan groups were into the game. The 2nd tilt was no slouch as Cal almost knocked off a highly touted and once proud program, St. Joseph's (that was quite the double-header).

I never thought I would hear myself say it but Stanford football has developed as the front-running program garnering much of their fanfare. Dawkins has a huge challenge in front of him even though the Pac 12 isn't as strong as it once was.

aflac4life
11-09-2012, 05:41 AM
USF vs Stanford is a double header, a cheap night of early season BBall entertainment. San Jose State is in the other game, you'd think it would attract some local fans, but then again who wants to spend Friday night in Oakland.

Bogozags
11-09-2012, 06:21 AM
The Dons fans will say that it's because Spokane is such a podunk town, there's nothing better for us to do. Little do they know that I'm skipping a perfectly good goat-shaving party just to see those Lady Zags.

Not sure USF fans cross the Bay Bridge to watch them play...they have not been relevant since the mid-70's, except against GU that is...

Not sure why promoters think that people from the City and San Jose would traverse either the Bay or San Mateo bridge to go watch a game in Oakland...that sure is expecting a lot...

CDC84
11-09-2012, 01:15 PM
USF vs Stanford is a double header, a cheap night of early season BBall entertainment. San Jose State is in the other game, you'd think it would attract some local fans, but then again who wants to spend Friday night in Oakland.

One of the greatest college basketball games I have ever attended was #3 Stanford beating #1 Duke at that same arena in Oakland in 2000:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Stanford-Beats-No-1-by-One-Jacobsen-s-bucket-3302424.php

What a collection of talent on the floor: Jay Williams, Shane Battier, Chris Duhon, Casey Jacobsen, the Collins Twins, etc.

The second game was Cal vs. Georgia. Not as good, but hardly a snoozer.

The Oracle Arena doubleheader games are not what they used to be ever since Stanford dropped off the map, nationally, in men's basketball.

MickMick
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Tomorrow night the USF men open against Stanford in Oracle Arena in Oakland.

On the 16th, the Lady Zags have their home opener against Wisconsin in McCarthey.

Prediction: The Lady Zags will play in front of a larger crowd.

Well Angelo......

Five minutes before tipoff:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab31/Mick063/usfstanford.jpg

sittingon50
11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
It turned out to be closer than I thought.