• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

About the Southern Utah Thunderbirds

Southern Utah is a new member of the Big Sky conference this year. They joined back in July. The Summit League was never a good fit from a geographic standpoint. They now have a proper home.

The Thunderbirds also have a brand new head coach. Some of you may remember Nick Robinson, the former Stanford player who played for both Monty and Trent Johnson. He previously served as an assistant under Johnson at LSU. He's also one of the youngest head coaches at the D-1 level.

Southern Utah has a couple of good wing players. Jackson Stevenett averaged 14.1 PPG and 5.7 RPG last year. He's explosive and does most of his damage inside the arc. Damon Heuir in an Aussie shooting guard who averaged 10.8 PPG last year. Again, another player who does most of his damage inside the arc. The rest of the roster consists of guys who had more limited roles prior to this year. There are some newbies as well.

The Thunderbirds are projected by most publications to finish near the back end of the Big Sky this season.
  • Kiddwell
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

T-Birds Roster

Thanks, CDC. Methinks we vaporize these guys. Roast 'em. Serve 'em for dinner.

:]

The official Men's Basketball page for the Southern Utah University Thunderbirds
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

gotta have a primer before you put on the finish. It's the right game to come out and play, there are no misconceptions about who will win.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2009

The logo is cool...

think I am going to be at this game. Should be fun to get the season kicked off finally!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
          The logo is cool...

think I am going to be at this game. Should be fun to get the season kicked off finally!
          USF should hire THAT graphic artist.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Pleasant Peninsula
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
            Some of you may remember Nick Robinson, the former Stanford player who played for both Monty and Trent Johnson. He previously served as an assistant under Johnson at LSU. He's also one of the youngest head coaches at the D-1 level.
            Oh, wow. Nick Robinson was the guy that hit the three point runner at the buzzer for Stanford against Arizona in 2004, much to the elation of the raucous Cardinal crowd that included Tiger Woods. Stanford was atop the college basketball world that year, going undefeated until March, and having been one of only two teams to beat the Zags that regular season. Unfortunately for both, they fell flat in the second round of the tournament and were gone early.

Comment

• 007Zag
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Mar 2008

That was an amazing shot...remember watching the opening game against St. Joe's in Crosby--the other unbeaten team that also beat the zags that year, IIRC.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

What was amazing about that Stanford team was that it wasn't close to being Monty's most talented team.

Comment

• Rangerzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
                  ........Stanford was atop the college basketball world that year, going undefeated until March, and having been one of only two teams to beat the Zags that regular season........

That Stanford gave was another example of poor prior planning exhibited by a game of that consequence with an opponent of that caliber being scheduled directly on the heals of finals week, December 20th to be exact.

The first game after finals usually sees the Zags with a sluggish game start. I have always felt a game scheduled at a more reasonable time would have given the Zags a good chance to win instead of racking up a 87-80 loss.
                  "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                  "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                  I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

Working...
                  X