PDA

View Full Version : Game predictions and what you'd like to see Friday

Reborn
11-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, the season is about to start Friday night. I'm going to put two of the threads I used every week last year into one thread. Just post your game prediction and then talk about whay you'd like to see Friday night.

Gonzaga 89
Southern Utah 53

I will be looking for really good ball movement and passing. A good goal for this year's team should be to have less turnovers this year than last. And I think that this group can do it.

I will be looking to see how Dranginis plays. I think he could be a rising star. I'm hoping he can become a very consistent shooter off the bench, the kind of player we DID NOT have last year.

And I want to see how Elias plays. I'm hoping to see how good I believe he is. By the end of the night I'm hoping I can say that he dominated.

Hope to see the Zags get 10 three's so the fans can pick up their burgers at the end of the game. Where do they pick them up? Is it Dick's?

FlyZag
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Injury free & good defensive effort from our front line.

DCZag
11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Zags by 30+

I want to see a good, consistent effort on the defensive end - I believe that is the key for us this year. Limit TOs, rebound and hit our FTs. Value each posession.

Baseline
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
We have some big guys, I hope to see them fed properly by our guards. I hope that aspect of the game gets going early.

I hope to get a feel for how the 3 spot will work out. will Harris try the 3, how does Draino look at that position.

Baldwinzag
11-07-2012, 06:37 PM

ditto.

a 25+ pt victory would be nice to see as well...although, Southern Utah seems to always features a couple really talented -- and tall -- players (who generally end up transferring to BCS schools)....ahhh, I won't go there for now...one of their 6'11" post players did transfer to St Mary's just a year ago...

from what I recall, they do feature a couple 6'11" guys and have height across the roster.

much bigger test, literally, than some DII school coming to town...

they played Utah St tough last season and lost by 2, and they played Oral Roberts(who I thought was solid & gave us all we could handle) twice and lost their first game by 6 & second by 2.

lastly, I've always considered the Big Sky a solid bball conference with sound coaches & players. Teams such as Montana, Weber St, Portland St, & Eastern Washington have all had their time in the spot light and seem to play/challenge us well, at home or away.

MickMick
11-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Platooning. 4-5 player substitutions.

If we additionally see it against WVU less than a week later, we will get a good feel for how Few may run his lineup for the forseeable future.

He will stick with it as long as it roars, but may go back to more traditional substitution patterns if it isn't consistently clicking. It started with the exhibition, I'm looking to see if it continues on Friday.

I like it.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Things I Want to See:
Crisp offensive sets
Tough interior D
Aggressive rebounding

Final Score:
Zags: A lot
Southern Utah: A little

rijman
11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I want to see PK show improvement in his 2nd game and Dower have a big game. We're without KO for 3 games, we need these 2 to step up. I want Harris to play like the very athletic senior he is. I want the guards to rack up assists and hit their 3's. I want to see GU play solid team D and stifle S. Utah. A 30+ point win margin would be nice.

ZagNative
11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey, Reborn! Thanks for this thread! It must really and truly be basketball season!

NotoriousZ
11-07-2012, 07:18 PM
http://community2.metalreview.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/8/3326.Mr.-T.jpg

NotoriousZ
11-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Had to do it. And I'll probably have to do it many, many more times. My appologies in advance. Go Zags!!!

Reborn
11-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Great post Balwinzag. Thanks for the information. I had no idea they were that good. It sounds like it's going to be a really good game, and a real good test for the Zags.

Yes, ZN, I am also really excited for it all to begin. 2012 will be a really fun year because I really do think that this team is special.

I hope to see Sam Dower playing much, much better Friday.

hooter73
11-07-2012, 08:25 PM
i want to see set plays and efficient offensive sets. I dont want to see all pangos, bell, and harris: dont need them in the whole time.

show me DB, KD, and PK getting adjusted to the GU game play.

Vanzagger
11-07-2012, 09:52 PM
pass dunk

Kiddwell
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Wanna see Kelly O, but that's not going to happen. Soooo...how about a huge defensive game from Sam I Am Dower? Sam knocking down 15-16 points would be gravy.

Speaking of gravy, let's make an early Thanksgiving meal out of those T-birds from Cedar City.

Zags -- 88
Two Hours in the Oven -- 65

:]

KStyles
11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Hope to see the Zags get 10 three's so the fans can pick up their burgers at the end of the game. Where do they pick them up? Is it Dick's?

It could've changed, as I haven't been to a game in K2 in a couple of years, but when I was last there the deal was a free Wendy's single at any Wendy's in the Spokane-CDA area. The number of 3s needed seemed to increase by one each time the Zags hit it, so it got progressively tougher as the season went on. I agree though, I'd love to see the Zags make it rain!

Zag4Hire
11-08-2012, 05:05 AM

This plus a Sam 'In Your Eye' gesture, a productive final play of the first half, and an opening 2nd half run would do it for me. Hey, I am just excited the season is finally here. Go Zags!

bartruff1
11-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Injury free & good defensive effort from our front line. Bad week for Utah...

aflac4life
11-08-2012, 06:19 AM
First game, keep it simple, win the opening tip, score and don't look back.

Martin Centre Mad Man
11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
I'd like to see a double digit advantage on the boards, an advantage on the turnover margin, a 15% advantage on field goal percentage, a double digit advantage on points scored in the paint, and double digit advantage on points scored at the foul line. I'm easy to please.

DADoZAG
11-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Things I Want to See:
Crisp offensive sets
Tough interior D
Aggressive rebounding

Final Score:
Zags: A lot
Southern Utah: A little

xxxxactly, CZ...

Crisp is a great descriptor. The ZAGS should end up with an offense that scores well into the 80’s, but it must start with crisp ball movement, especially after 20 turnovers on Saturday (that’s BZ’s rumor).

I know I might not see much of what Southern Utah does on offense, because I'm not watching the ball at all on that end of the court. My focus will be on how all the white jerseys work as a fluid unit, no matter which set of bodies might be filling those white jerseys.

That's the measure of how far this team will go, along with "Aggressive rebounding" of course. It will be great to see if E picks up right where he left off last year, and starts a season long run of double doubles (at least per 40 minutes). But E better not be the only one attacking the boards…

I’ll play off your score prediction;
ZAGS: More than A lot
Southern Utah: less than a little

Go ZAGS!

cjm720
11-08-2012, 07:41 AM
A blowout is sure to happen.

I think Reborn nailed it in terms of wanting to see crisp ball movement. I'd add with that movement to not hesitate for a second whether it's the extra pass on the wing or down low or on the shot. A slight hesitation will allow the defense to disrupt the shot.

Use our bigs. I'd like to see Karno and Dower each get 20+.

6th and 7th - like to see Dower and Draginis as first off the bench.

Starters:

Pangos
Bell
Edi
Harris
Karno

hooter73
11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
no way karno starts but I do like the thought of no hesitation in the offense.

cjm720
11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
no way karno starts but I do like the thought of no hesitation in the offense.

Because of Few's loyalty? That's my opinion, at least.

zag944
11-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Id like to see some significant scoring off the bench. First, we are likely going to give a lot of pt to some guys that showed serious limitations on that side of the floor last year....itd be really nice to see Stockton and Hart both confidently knock down an open 3 pointer or two. Second, I want to see KD and PK score the way we are all hoping they can.

sittingon50
11-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I would like to see the KC stick around for the whole game.

zaguarxj
11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I want to see the Zags fight for every loose ball and get it. I want to see them fly around, hit the floor and dive into the crowd like their lives depend on it. No injuries, of course, but some floor-burn and a bruise or two would be ok.

75Zag
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
#1 - no injuries
#2 - 25 point win
#3 - Harris playing like this is his final chance to achieve a first round NBA draft pick, because it is.

Go Bulldogs!

primal23
11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Dower not foul out, or be in foul trouble.
No injuries
Limit turnovers

jbslicer
11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm looking forward to the pre-game clock winding down to 3:12. That's when Zombie Nation starts. It's time to get up and clap and be a Zag fan.

LongIslandZagFan
11-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Southern Utes. - 120
Zags - 40

GonzaGAW
11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
- i predict an easy win, 20 to 30 points

- i would like to see bench players, hart, stockton, dranginis, barham all get close to 10 minutes on the floor. i see no reason for any starter playing 25-30 minutes. i'm not saying the team should mail this one in, but its a long season lets keep those legs fresh for the long haul.

ID ZAGFAN
11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Wanna see Kelly O, but that's not going to happen. Soooo...how about a huge defensive game from Sam I Am Dower? Sam knocking down 15-16 points would be gravy.

Speaking of gravy, let's make an early Thanksgiving meal out of those T-birds from Cedar City.

Zags -- 88
Two Hours in the Oven -- 65

:]

There should be a song about that! :D

"I want to see Kelly play,
I want to see Kelly play,
That's the most important thing to me.

And when I see Kelly play,
When I see Kelly play,
What a faithful, thankful Zag I'll be."

(Sung to "I want to to be Bobby's girl" with apologies to Marcie Blaine and all others involved with the original song.)

ZaGranny

Oregonzagnut
11-08-2012, 11:00 PM
an 1989 LMU/Westhead style run and gun final score combined with brain surgical precision ball movement and stifling defense. Zero turnovers. +30 pt margin of victory, +20 rebound margin.

Yes we can.

Gonzaga 105
S. Utah 75

azzagfan
11-09-2012, 03:05 AM
I expect to see the Zags come out tight and the game will be relatively close at half (8-10 point lead). The Zags will get a significant reminder at half time from the coaches on how they're expected to play and the game will end up being a 18-24 point win.

I'm hoping to see a balanced offensive attack mixing solid passing into the post players with appropriate inside/out type of an offense (resulting in many open 3s for KP, GBJ, DB, DS, etc.).

Reborn
11-09-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm kind of surprised that no one talked about PK. I am so excited about him. I really enjoyed watching him in the game with Northwest Nazarene, and I want to see if he can play the same way tonight. Very little has been written about his defense, so let's keep our eyes on that tonight. I thought his defense was awesome againt Northwest Nazarene. He is so tall, and has a nice wing span and it looked to me like penetrating guards had a tough time getting to the hoop on him.