PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Times: 5 Things to Watch

Zag4Hire
11-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Sorry if already posted.

http://seattletimes.com/html/collegesports/2019617750_gonzagamenfive07.html

Here's the one my eye will be on:

Does Gary Bell take over?

During a mostly successful freshman season, Bell occasionally deferred to others; he took one three-pointer in 75 minutes of the WCC tournament. He's talented enough to be selfish, in a good way.

I hope the answer is yes and it is very hard to remember GBJ was a freshman last year with the poise he displayed on the court. He needs one of those early season performances like Ammo, Heytvelt, and Daye had to put him on the national radar.

Baldwinzag
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Nice find, Z4H.

The most surprising snippet which caught my attention:

"GBJ attempted only ONE 3pt shot during the WCC Tourney."

Meanwhile, Pangos attempted 10 and made 1. Of course KP should be shooting, and a lot, yet GBJ could have found many more opportunities.

Bell is possibly(and statistically) the best catch-n-shoot 3pt threat in all of College hoops and should be attempting at least 4+ per game, he'll always be the smart, efficient, self-less player, yet talented/good enough to unleash way more shots per game.

I'd like to see him become the guy for us. The go-to, if you will.

MDABE80
11-07-2012, 09:27 AM
is such an overlooked talent. He's got good speed and obviously shoots well. Good ballhandler. He puts up a few 20 ppg nights and he'll get noticed. I'm kinda surprised Kevin has kept the spotlight with Gary playing like he does. We have two amazing talents out front. Let those horses roam!

#1bulldogfan
11-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Read again, it says one 3 point shot in 75 min. Bell scored very well with his shot and did not force anything. They were gauarding him very close. We need more sets to get Gary open and Gary needs to be more aggressive
looking for his shot was the point the author was making.

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I think GBJ needs to realize, and the coaches need to instill in him, that the team is better when he's aggressive on offense. Sometimes I think that he's too much of a team player. Of course, this doesn't mean that Gary should press the issue, only that he needs to put pressure on the defense, one way or another, each team the Zags have the ball. For example, if Gary is more aggressive with is dribble penetration, then he'll have more easy buckets and guys like Kevin, David and Kyle will be able to have open spot-up perimeter shots when Gary kicks it back out.

CDC84
11-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I think it's a mistake to blame Gary for his lack of consistent aggressiveness on offense last season. He was probably the 4th option on offense last year. He wasn't a priority in terms of plays being run for him, etc. Guys who are fourth options are going to be all over the map in terms of their production from game to game.

Clearly Gary is going to be more of priority this season. If he's all over the map this year, then there is reason for concern.