PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI: mid-majors on the rise

Baldwinzag
11-07-2012, 04:19 AM
2-page article focusing on 'non-BCS' teams, impact players, and rankings -- courtesy of Andy Glockner.

A couple Zag mentions, along with opponent alerts.

Impact players:

Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga
The latest in a long line of excellent shooting Zags guards, Pangos had a terrific freshman campaign and looks poised to be a major player on what could be the best Zags team in a while.

Mid-Major Top-10:

7. Gonzaga (West Coast) (a bit low, perhaps?)
If the loss of Robert Sacre's interior presence is offset by the arrival of Polish freshman 7-footer Przemek Karnowski, this could be the best Zags team in a number of seasons. There's a good blend of talent and experience on the roster.

Interesting article, worth a review, & btw, didn't realize Butler is heavily stacked as well this season. The other Bulldogs return their Top-6 scorers from last season, their entire front court, welcome their highest rated recruiting class, and Rotnei Clarke is eligible via transfer. Should be a whale of game at Hinkle this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/11/05/best-of-the-rest-primer/index.html

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-07-2012, 06:00 AM
2-page article focusing on 'non-BCS' teams, impact players, and rankings -- courtesy of Andy Glockner.

A couple Zag mentions, along with opponent alerts.

Interesting article, worth a review, & btw, didn't realize Butler is heavily stacked as well this season. The other Bulldogs return their Top-6 scorers from last season, their entire front court, welcome their highest rated recruiting class, and Rotnei Clarke is eligible via transfer. Should be a whale of game at Hinkle this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/11/05/best-of-the-rest-primer/index.html

Hi Baldwin Zag!,

Its me Val! :) Butler lost Chrishawn Hopkins. Not sure if the article posted mentioned that. He was 1 of the top 6 players if not Butlers best.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20172490/butlers-loss-of-chrishawn-hopkins-shouldnt-slide-under-radar

"Clarke is a shooter who is making the adjustment to the point guard position."

It looks like Butler is going to play Rotnei Clarke at the point. I don't like this at all for Butler. Do you? He is a very good player and should be very serviceable at the point but this loss weakens Butler significantly. Of course I'm pulling for Butler to win the A-10 anyways since we play them and Brad Stevens is just incredible as a coach! Definitely rooting for Butler but we can and should take them out. It will be a real tough win though. :) Woohoo woohoo :)

Val :)

CaliforniaZaggin'
11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm surprised that Elias wasn't on the list of "Impact Players."

Baldwinzag
11-07-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm surprised that Elias wasn't on the list of "Impact Players."

+1

Elias, for whatever reason, has been really underrated/unheralded this off-season, especially for putting up better #'s than every other Forward on the list above, & 90% of PF's in D1.

For instance, I just can't understand why I continually hear about guys like Solomon Hill(6'8", 225lbs) from Arizona mentioned as a potential POY candidate, Top-25 player when he put up 13 ppg, 7 rpg in his Junior season, while Elias single-handedly tore him apart on the court and averaged 14 ppg, nearly 9 rpg against arguably better competition than what was in the Pac-12 last season. He's just one of many PF's who put up far less stellar stats, yet they're receiving all the recognition.

Its just been odd.

Harris doesn't seem to care and more relaxed than ever, so I'll go with it for now, but c'mon, a little respect for one of the Top-5 players at his position to ever don a Zags uni.

I prefer to "fly under the radar" but sheesh, Elias deserves more credit, imho.

sittingon50
11-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Undersized, but a SG nevertheless. Sometimes ya' gotta' do what ya' gotta' do, valency.

Zag4Hire
11-07-2012, 08:45 AM
#7? I would put UNLV #1 but I think GU can top the rest.

Kiddwell
11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
If the Zags are the 7th Best Mid-Major this year, then we ain't going to the Elite Eight, and the Final Four is a pipe dream. :explode:

We're MUCH BETTER than 7th best, IMHO. Here's a no-brainer: Guess we'll have to prove as much to the pundits on the court. :argh:

:]

Malastein
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm taking a wait and see on Clarke becoming a PG, but he did spend his redshirt year learning the position. Kelly Olynyk spent his redshirt learning the post, and reports on him are positive.