PDA

View Full Version : JP Batista in Pan-Am Gold Medal Game

azzagfan
07-29-2007, 07:32 AM
JP and Brazil are currently playing Puerto Rico in the Gold Medal game of the Pan-Am games. They've already beaten PR once during the tourney. JP is currently averaging 12.5 ppg, 68% FG%, 94% FT%.

MickMick
07-29-2007, 08:00 AM
JP was a great Zag. I miss watching him play.

BBskorer
07-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Good as gold. Brazil 86, Puerto Rico 65. High scorer?? Joao Paulo Batista with 20. Tied for game-high rebs with 7. Congrats JP!!

Nevtelen
07-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Bet he was upset at being saddled with fouls the last time Brazil played PR. nice game, JP!

TheZagPhish
07-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow! I was always a huge JP fan. I love these performances we've been reading about. I'm curious though, will the NBA come knocking on his door anytime soon? How does that work exactly?

And would JP actually want to go? Seems like he's tearing it up on the European / global circuit without any need to move.

FuManShoes
07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I've read him say as much. While it's easy for us to say that we'd rather get paid nice bucks to travel Europe and actually play than languish on an NBA bench, guys like JP consistently say they just want a chance to be on an NBA squad and show what they can do. I think in a funny way some of us try to smash down the supposed glamor of the NBA and build up the charms of the Euro leagues to make us feel better about the fate of some of our favorite college players (and justify our disdain for the NBA). I think the truth is somewhere in between, and the fact remains that the NBA is the big show.

BBskorer
07-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Maybe ZagNut08 can chip in. I think he got to chat with JP for a short time in Lithuania.

As far as the upcoming season goes, I believe JP has another year with L.Rytas, with an opt-out in the event he catches on in the NBA. Rytas qualified for the Euroleague this year, so even if he doesn't get an NBA gig, he'll have that to look forward to. Biggest competition on the overseas club scene.

CDC84
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Batista is making so much tax free money in Europe that to sign on with the NBA would involve a pay cut. Moreover, he gets all the touches he wants in the low post over there.

If plays until his early 30's, he'll be able to retire for the rest of his life and have all the time he wants to devote to family.

BobZag
07-29-2007, 02:31 PM
In my opinion... He's the best big man in Zag history. His offensive efficiency is awesome. Two Zags blew me away the first time I saw them in pick-up games: Ammo and JP. Daye is close to those two.

Dogtownkid
07-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Great player and great guy!

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2007, 03:54 PM
BZ's right, JP had/has such an advanced set of post moves. In my opinion playing with Ammo actually hindered JP's recognition, i.e the proverbial overshadowing. If there was no Ammo, JP would've been a 22 and 10 guy, no question. Heck he was close to that with Adam. Alas, the game vs UCLA breaks my heart, he got scared, plain and simple. I still love him though.

I saw one game of his in Lithuania on NBAtv and a smile came upon me. It was the same JP with th same moves and still no one able to stop him. He has the ability to play in the NBA, sometimes scouts and gm's are guilty of over thinking.

MickMick
07-29-2007, 06:01 PM
In my opinion... He's the best big man in Zag history. His offensive efficiency is awesome. Two Zags blew me away the first time I saw them in pick-up games: Ammo and JP. Daye is close to those two.

I loved Calvary, but I have to agree with this. Calvary was more athletic and had a huge chip on his shoulder. But JP was the model of consistency. I really didn't appreciate him fully until I saw the Zags play without him.

I remember watching the Zags beat #3 ranked Georgia Tech with Jarret Jack in Las Vegas on television. JP was the 6th man coming off the bench with Mallon as the starter. I remember the TV commentator say "There isn't a team in the country that wouldn't take Batista as their 6th man."

Needless to say, JP started the next game against the new #3 ranked team...Oklahoma State. He was a monster in both of those victorys. Mallon never did get the starting job back.

TheZagPhish
07-29-2007, 07:30 PM
So long as we're praising universal here, let me add that in addition to a deep bag of technical moves he was a gentleman with terrific focus and mental discipline. Never saw him lose it -- a facet of his persona that probably added to the yin-yang relationship to Morrison.

The touch, little fakes, unselfish play, stamina and humility all informed his approach so nicely. As wonderful as our future looks - and boy it looks good! - it's doubtful we'll ever see another Batista.

CDC84
07-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Alas, the game vs UCLA breaks my heart, he got scared, plain and simple. I still love him though.

Well, he's one of several players in that sequence that deserve blame. Batista shouldn't have been in that area on the court to begin with on that press breaker. JP being in that area of the court led to the 2nd mistake, which was passing the ball to him with perimeter vultures everywhere...guys who love seeing see a big guy stuck in the backcourt who can't dribble whatsoever. The closest Batista should've been was the halfcourt line. And then once Batista got the ball, Gonzaga didn't have an authoritative point guard on the floor to demand the ball and take control of the situation. Pargo would be that guy now, but he was just a freshman then.

The lesson of that game is the lesson that I hope this year's Gonzaga team learns before they play their first game: when you have a team on the ropes, you must deliver the knockout punch. That was something the 2005 team never learned, and it cost them an elite 8 appearance.