PDA

View Full Version : BB Title Contenders

zaglife
11-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Found this one...Gets me a little pumped up hearing Gonzaga in talks about a National Championship!

GO ZAGS!!!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8575615

Short but if you dont want to listen to the whole thing starts at about the 2:30 mark

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
11-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Zag L,

I think we should be shooting for a #3 seed or a #2 seed this year. We have to live in the moment and both Elias and GLE will be 2 Seniors (and Hart for his unselfish team chemistry glue) when this years ends that we look back on and say "WOW what great years these guys had and boy do we miss them."

As Seth G. mentioned the pieces are in place to win it all THIS YEAR. It is going to take everyone committing aggressively on the defensive end of the court. We need good help D with what my friend calls Ball U man principles.

The key here is the chalk at the top this year. Louisville lost Mike Mara their best shooter. When he went down Louisville became vulnerable and the chalk not as strong. Indiana? I am just not a huge Crean fan. Also it is the exception not the norm that a Freshman point leads you to a national championship. Worth noting Indiana is also a team that has defensive lapses and if they have the mental lapses on D I expect they should be another chalk team that bites the dust before Atlanta (Final 4).

Kentucky? They may very well bring in the best recruiting class ever next year in the history of college basketball. That's how good they may be. If there is even 1 solid hold over from this years group that could equate into next years Kentucky team being very close to unbeatable. I do not think however this years Kentucky team fits that description as a piece of the chalk. If Kentucky is considered chalk this has to be the year the ZAGS break through and YES could definitely win the title assuming our beloved ZAGS internal defense plays with a reckless commitment to success. Internal D is our ticket to a title not just an Elite 8 run.

Teams like Missouri are real threats this year. Davidson behind the great coaching of McKillop and a team that returns their top eight scorers that beat Kansas (Final 4 team) last year on the road in the regular season and lost to Louisville (Final 4) in a close NCAA tournament game should be sleeper personified this year. Davidson has 4 guards that can play the 1 or 2 and a front court with Cohen and Brooks that is the most under rated in America. I look for Davidson to be a serious Final 4 sleeper contender with 4 Senior starters all of which are captains.

Lets go ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Warmest Always,
Val :)

75Zag
11-06-2012, 02:28 PM
To be honest I can't see GU beating any of the top 10 on a regular basis, but I think we are as good as any of the 2nd 10, which includes UNC, Zona, UCLA, Michigan State, Missouri, Creighton, Memphis, UNLV, Baylor and SDState.

I am ready to start the season and see who GU can beat in OOC before we sink into the RPI killing soup that is the WCC.

Go Bulldogs!

007Zag
11-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Val, you have some pretty sharp insights.

JAGzag
11-07-2012, 02:06 PM

I agree and I for one miss your avatar!

ZagMan in Philly
11-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Sure does..you must be a huge college basketball fan. I will follow your tip on Davidson when i am out in Vegas, if you have any other sleepers for Final 4, please tell. Zags with a #2 seed, They have to lose no more than 3-4 games, IMHO, but it is possible. Go Zags!

BobZag
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
This is a year we can think about it and not sound goofy. It is within the realm of possibility more than in recent years, back to 2009.

3zagda
11-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Val,
Great insights! I will keep an eye on Davidson. I miss the avatar as well.

3zagda
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
75Zag,
It may be too early to tell if we can stay on the court with those top 10 teams. IMHO it depends on:
Will PK have a major impact? Will KO be the same player as his soph season, or a true impact player as some allude? Will Sam develop into his potential at both ends of the court? Is Guy's development as a strong contributer real? Will Elias take the team on his back when needed to pull out that tough win?
If just 2 or 3 of these come to pass, I think we can compete with the very best this year.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I agree and I for one miss your avatar!

Hi JZag,

Thanks for being so sweet. I really appreciate it!

Warmest

11-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Hi Double ohhh 7,

Cool name! Love it! :) I learn so much from everyone here to to! This board is great now!

Warmest
Val

MDABE80
11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
If the bigs show up, I think we can beat anybody. Right now, Karno is untested. Sams ....well he's Sam. Elias is fine. KO out and we don't know how much he's done in the redshirt year. Our 1,2,3 are way good. We need bigs to step up.

11-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Sure does..you must be a huge college basketball fan. I will follow your tip on Davidson when i am out in Vegas, if you have any other sleepers for Final 4, please tell. Zags with a #2 seed, They have to lose no more than 3-4 games, IMHO, but it is possible. Go Zags!

Hi ZagMan, :)

Its just me again Val. :) You are correct on the #2 seed. 3 loses max to get a #2 in my humble opinion. I have been on Davidson since the end of last year. Zags getting a #3 seed is my goal but they could in theory get a #2 barring key injuries! #3 though creates a great opportunity to get some favorable match-ups early. I love our chances for a #3. Just my opinion though!

With a program like Davidson its pretty tricky. I think I posted when I first came on this great board that if we played Davidson in the Old Spice it would be a real fun and challenging game for us. Davidson's success is somewhat cyclical because they are pretty much dependent on certain classes maturing to upperclassmen before they have a big year. This is the year in my opinion and McKillop really is a great coach. Davidson is high academic with only 1,700 students and the facilities are a bit reflective of a SoCon team. Belk arena also seats about 6k. Davidson plays New Mexico at the Pit I think in their 2nd game of the season if not mistaken. That will be tough because I think they play right after our game against West Virginia at 2:00 AM EST (tough to adjust to the time difference from east coast) on ESPN as part of the marathon of games.

It looks like CBS is on to Davidson a bit now also. This out just today.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20867829/mckillop-davidson-surprisingly-flying-under-the-radar

We were ahead of them though at GUboards because we all rock!

Other sleepers? There are quite a few but I like Davidson the most. They are barely receiving votes in the "others" section of the AP poll and are not getting any love in the coaches poll. So DU is pure sleeper candidate. There are others but let me know what you consider a sleeper? Out of top 25?

I am a huge college hoops fan to the point of being a geekess. Basically I have just been around it since I was a little girl. It is so much fun learning from all you guys! Thanksxoxo everyone!

Warmest

11-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Val,
Great insights! I will keep an eye on Davidson. I miss the avatar as well.

Hi 3zaga!

No thank you for the kindness!

Warmest

Reborn
11-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I too believe it's too early to get onto this wave at this time. However, I would get onto the wave that says this team is good enough to reach the Sweet 16. And if in fact, the Zags do make it to the Sweet 16 I would hope that the wave to the Sweet 16 would merge with the wave started in this thread stating that the Zags would reach the Final 4.

One game at a time, one step at a time, this team could indeed reach the Sweet 16.