PDA

View Full Version : Best GU OOC?

75Zag
11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
As a time waster, what year do you think represents the best GU Out of Conference experience?

The fall of 2005 was fun with wins over Maryland, Michigan State, WSU, Oklahoma State and Virginia. But there was the unfortunate loss to UConn at Maui and the creepy loss to the Fuskies.

2004 was fun when we beat Maryland and the Huskies and UMass (when they were good) and WSU and St. Louis and Georgia Tech and Oklahoma.

2007 was ok when we beat V. Tech and St. Joes and UConn and Utah and Georgia, but then there were the losses to WSU and Oklahoma and the bust against Tenn. at the BIS.

What's your favorite past OOC season - as a whole?

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
As a time waster, what year do you think represents the best GU Out of Conference experience?

The fall of 2005 was fun with wins over Maryland, Michigan State, WSU, Oklahoma State and Virginia. But there was the unfortunate loss to UConn at Maui and the creepy loss to the Fuskies.

2004 was fun when we beat Maryland and the Huskies and UMass (when they were good) and WSU and St. Louis and Georgia Tech and Oklahoma.

2007 was ok when we beat V. Tech and St. Joes and UConn and Utah and Georgia, but then there were the losses to WSU and Oklahoma and the bust against Tenn. at the BIS.

Go Bulldogs!

2005. Morrison made it happen.

zagzilla
11-05-2012, 04:36 AM
2005. zags were front and center nationally and the thrilling games vs Ok St and 3 OT Mich St were classics. Even the losses were thrilling. UConns buzzer beater in Maui and Ammo's valiant 43 vs UW at Hec Ed.

Finished OOC that year at 10-3 with the other loss @Memphis who always had our number back then.

Here's a link to re-live some memories

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2250/year/2006/gonzaga-bulldogs

Go Zags

ZZ

Zagquette
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Hands down 06-07

Historic wins got lost in mushroom gate:

W- vs #2 UNC - biggest win in program history (IMHO) especially year after ammo leaves

W - v #8 UW - the loudest K2 has ever been

W - 2ot at standford - another one of my favorites

L's were exciting as well:

Butler, Duke, and 2OT at the arena

Toughest non-conference slate we faced. Any questions? Counter arguments?

MDABE80
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Hands down 06-07

Historic wins got lost in mushroom gate:

W- vs #2 UNC - biggest win in program history (IMHO) especially year after ammo leaves

W - v #8 UW - the loudest K2 has ever been

W - 2ot at standford - another one of my favorites

L's were exciting as well:

Butler, Duke, and 2OT at the arena

Toughest non-conference slate we faced. Any questions? Counter arguments?
This!

dnj116
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
I would say last year. Michigan State, Washington State, Notre Dame, Butler, and Oral Roberts all in the Kennel! Add on to that we also played Illinois, Arizona, and Xavier!

The respective outcomes of those games may not have been ideal or what we would have liked, but from a scheduling standpoint, last season was the pinnacle of what we can expect as Gonzaga fans. For me, it truly reflected where Gonzaga has come by being able to schedule such big programs to come to the Kennel. In other words, last season's schedule set the bar one notch higher.

Oregonzagnut
11-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Anyone know how to find historical OOC RPIs?

UKWildcatsFan
11-05-2012, 11:42 AM

Go Bulldogs!

I like this topic. It is always fun for me to think about stuff like this.

One thing though, and no offense, but UMass was not very good during this period. Their coach was Steve Lappas who was 13-16 in 2001-02, 11-18 in 2002-03, 10-19 in 2003-04 and 16-12 in 2004-05. So they were decent in the 04-05 season.

CarolinaZagFan
11-05-2012, 04:17 PM
I agree that 06-07 was awesome. The UNC game against "Handsburra" was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. However, I gotta go with Ammo in 05. That whole OOC was amazing. Good times turning on the tube and watching him drop 35 every night.

Let's just say we're fortunate and have had some pretty spectacular seasons. Here's to another one!

Pleasant Peninsula
11-05-2012, 05:59 PM
I think the most successful non-conference slate was in late 2004, when an unheralded Zags team started the year in poor fashion, get run out of the building against that incredible Illinois team. But they bounced back the next week with a big win against a highly ranked Washington team, and then in consecutive weeks won neutral site games against #3 Georgia Tech and #3 Oklahoma State. They really announced to the college basketball world that they were a true contender in December 2004, and they were. That team isn't often mentioned when the greatest Zag team ever is brought up, but they should be. Too bad they laid an egg in the second half against Texas Tech.