PDA

View Full Version : why are gonzaga tickets so expensive/why didn't they build mcCarthey to seat more?

CodeCobalt
11-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I just moved back to the area after 12 years, and I really can't come to grips with how much gonzaga basketball tickets are. I've heard from several people (one alumni, with season tickets) that they are all but impossible to get, so I decided to look online, and the cheapest I can find is $85 per ticket against west virginia... there is a game at Key Arena for $21/ticket for a nosebleed... been there, done that, for the sonics... not worth it. I could go see the trailblazers against anyone, decent seats for $24-$40/ticket and while I love the zags more than any professional team.... I can't justify it to spend that much more.

Also, why the hell did they only rebuild mccarthey to seat 6000? instantly obsolete. I know Gonzaga itself doesn't charge that much per ticket, so they can't really be making profit from supply and demand.. what gives?

ZagNative
11-03-2012, 10:17 PM
This topic comes up every year. Here is Angelo Roncalli's answer (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=544359#post544359) from the last time the question was raised.

Ekrub
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I love the atmosphere at the kennel and I have access to decent tickets for 1/3 of the games or so a year. But unless it's a big game (in which case I'm less likely to have access to those tickets) I prefer watching it at my house. That way I can use the bathroom when I want, drink beer, and curse at my tv :)

realtydog
11-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Can they add seats to either end? Do they care to?

spike_jr
11-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Can they add seats to either end? Do they care to?

Sure you can.... it only takes money!

As for the size of the MAC, one other thing that I don't think I have ever seen on the forum, but I have had people inside the Athletic Department allude to - 6,000 seats was undersized, INTENTIONALLY. When you undersize, you create demand. You keep the place sold out. You have a waiting list for season tickets. And when you have this, you get to control the price!

If the place is sold out, you can get $40-$100 per seat per game for every seat in the place. When you dont sell out, you start lowering your ticket prices in an effort to get people in the seats. And why would I want to buy season tickets to see Pacific, South Dakota, LC State at $100 bucks a game if I know I can walk up and buy tickets at the door?

Also, I suspect that there were enough people around that remember the days of 500 for a game in the old Kennel. In the late 80s and early 90s, I used to just walk in and watch the games without a ticket. So I think there was always a fear that the product may decline and leave the University with a bunch of debt on a building that they could no longer fill.

roxdoc
11-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Big cost, an unknown future, desre for a close environment.

my only complaint was they could have designed it so it could have been expanded a bit in the future if they felt like it. they didn't do that.

TheZagPhish
11-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Enviable problems in the WCC.

CodeCobalt
11-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Eh, I don't really agree that making the stadium bigger by 2-4 thousand seats would have made it so so they couldn't recoup their losses. by making it small they just created a huge scalping market where people sell their tickets for triple the face value. They could have raised ticket prices in order to recoup costs, and they'd still be cheaper than what the scalpers charge. Making it so there's no room for future expansion was just ignorant and short sighted.

How much are season tickets anyways? If I get in line now maybe I can finally go to some games in 24 years when I'm 50 lol. Just seems very elitist IMO.

Birddog
11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Eh, I don't really agree that making the stadium bigger by 2-4 thousand seats would have made it so so they couldn't recoup their losses
Well there you go. You're given the reason and you don't believe it. Bob's your uncle!

Once and Future Zag
11-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Eh, I don't really agree that making the stadium bigger by 2-4 thousand seats would have made it so so they couldn't recoup their losses. by making it small they just created a huge scalping market where people sell their tickets for triple the face value. They could have raised ticket prices in order to recoup costs, and they'd still be cheaper than what the scalpers charge. Making it so there's no room for future expansion was just ignorant and short sighted.

How much are season tickets anyways? If I get in line now maybe I can finally go to some games in 24 years when I'm 50 lol. Just seems very elitist IMO.

When was the last time you priced out a 6K-10K stadium?

MDABE80
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
If there was a retro fit on the MAC, it would cost $55 K per chair. 1000 more seats would cost......?...alot. Always do it right in the beginning ( unless you're short on money........in this case we were. Not to mention a choice was made to spend on that nifty baseball field suoth of the MAC. Even THAT took another 2 years to find funding).........Fellas....we are what we are. No going back now IMHO.

Oregonzagnut
11-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Supply and demand. They erred on the conservative side of the equation. It worked out for them and since we have had unprecedented success since, this is all hindsight.

75Zag
11-04-2012, 03:46 PM
In my opinion, the original / face price on GU tickets is pretty reasonable, especially for a Top 25 program. The resale market is what it is. I have paid some pretty stupid prices for GU tickets on StubHub or Craig's List, but that's between me and the seller, and has nothing to do with GU policy or whatever.

I am not an engineer or an accountant so I can't comment about the cost/benefit analysis of expanding the Arena either now or when it was built, but as a basketball fan the Arena has great sight lines and offers a special experience that is hard to beat - although the Chiles Center in Portland is also a pretty great place to watch basketball - if only UP had a better team.

Go Bulldogs!

GonzaGAW
11-04-2012, 04:06 PM

there is no list you put your name on and then wait 5, 10 or 20 years until your name comes up. the only list the gonzaga athletic department looks at is a yearly list of who donated the most money to the alhletic deptartment that year. and if they have 4 open seats they go to the top 4 donators that year. then the slate is wiped clean and they start over again the next year.

you could be the top giver but on the last day of the year daddy warbucks can simply ask what is the top donation and beat it by one buck. with a straight face the athletic department told me that the only way you can guarantee your self 2 seaonson tickets is by making a $100,000 donation. (i often make typo's in my messages but that is not a money typo). one hundred thousand!

my lotto fantasy has always been to go into the a.d. office and put $80,000 cash on his desk and see if he pushes it away because i'm $20,000 short.

while i'm not living in fantasy world. best i can do is be a bulldog club member at $250 per year. i then get first crack at non sold out games. the past 2 years i have been able to see around 4 games a year.

ID ZAGFAN
11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
there is no list you put your name on and then wait 5, 10 or 20 years until your name comes up. the only list the gonzaga athletic department looks at is a yearly list of who donated the most money to the alhletic deptartment that year. and if they have 4 open seats they go to the top 4 donators that year. then the slate is wiped clean and they start over again the next year.

you could be the top giver but on the last day of the year daddy warbucks can simply ask what is the top donation and beat it by one buck. with a straight face the athletic department told me that the only way you can guarantee your self 2 seaonson tickets is by making a $100,000 donation. (i often make typo's in my messages but that is not a money typo). one hundred thousand!

my lotto fantasy has always been to go into the a.d. office and put $80,000 cash on his desk and see if he pushes it away because i'm $20,000 short.

while i'm not living in fantasy world. best i can do is be a bulldog club member at $250 per year. i then get first crack at non sold out games. the past 2 years i have been able to see around 4 games a year.

I think you are misinformed. Go to gozags.com, click on tickets and how to buy men's season tickets. They have a form for getting on the wait list, and then a link to priority points which describes how you acquire points. I personally have spoken to a couple who got tickets after 4 years on the wait list for only the Bulldog Club minimum donation.

You used to have to sign up for the wait list every year, but two years ago they changed it so you are kept on the list.

ZaGranny

rijman
11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Last I checked the MAC was the largest arena in the WCC, except for BYU now. If I remember correctly, there were concerns about the Zags filling the arena when it was under construction (opened in 2004, cost reported to be $25M). The Zags have had a very good run since 2004 and their tickets are in high demand, which is the best case scenario for Gonzaga. If Zag basketball had dropped off then tickets would be easier to get and likely cheaper. If Gonzaga had a crystal ball and knew the teams success would continue as it has, fueling the current demand for tickets, they probably would have built a larger arena, imho.

Oregonzagnut
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Anyone know what the official fire code maximum seating is? There may be limits no matter what seating arrangements they try to add.

JIMMYMAC
11-04-2012, 09:07 PM
a buddy of mine dropped $200K (pledged over 5 years) in the last few years for his four seats to jump to the top and get them immediately. Personally, I like my program a little more as I share three seats split over the season with someone that go in early. I pay his cost and it ends up being about $1500 after you account for pre game KC beers.

BoltZag
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
a buddy of mine dropped $200K (pledged over 5 years) in the last few years for his four seats to jump to the top and get them immediately. Personally, I like my program a little more as I share three seats split over the season with someone that go in early. I pay his cost and it ends up being about $1500 after you account for pre game KC beers.

Well, maybe for your buddy "dropping $200k" was about more than game tickets. Not everyone analyzes a gift to Gonzaga from the "what do *I* get out of this" point of view.

Vanzagger
11-05-2012, 08:09 AM
shelters....I get it. Funny stuff.

I have watched games in them and have enjoyed it. Besides the adult beverage, it is nice because you feel a part of the regular crowd. It's an open air luxury box.

I never got stuffy luxury suites. ZZZZZZZZ. I'll do my steak, lobster, cigar and scotch before the game. Then let me sit with the bleacher bums.

Kennel best venue in sports. Recruits get that.

TacomaZAG
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM
for the size of K2 is the size of the nearby Spokane Arena (approximately 11,000). A friend of mine worked at the Arena during the time K2 was being planned and built, and he told me that part of the discussion regarding the size of K2 was to make sure that K2 did not compete directly with the Arena for other events like concerts, etc. If both venues held 10,000 - 11,000 there would be no distinction between the two for other, possibly competing events.

Since building K2 larger than 11,000 made absolutely no sense, regardless of money available, the smaller, 6000 seat number makes perfect sense. Plus, having K2 full all the time creates a fantastic environment, as has been said a number of times in this thread. Maybe they could have increased the size to 7000 or so under the Arena/event competition model, but as has been said before, the $$ just weren't there.

The Chiles Center down at UP is very nice, but it is tiny. Plus, UP only fills that arena when the ZAGS come to town, and that is only because of west side ZAG fans (like me) who make the trip down I-5.

We are treated very well as ZAG fans, whether you watch every game on TV (how many mid-major programs can say that) or you can get to a game or two in K2. My wife and I won tickets at the Tacoma Alumni Chapter dinner in Tacoma last week, and we are so pumped to be coming to K2 in February.

Go ZAGS

HOOTER
11-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I used to fuss about this, but then I managed to get some tickets and, although I had a lot of fun, I'm pretty much over it. Dealing with the crowds was a PITA. I'll watch the games from my comfortable couch with my affordable food and beer and empty bathroom thank you. That's not to say that I won't go back if some tickets just happened to fall into my lap. I just won't go out of my way to get them. I've always found the place to be way too small as well but I'm sure they had their reasons. Probably to keep people like me out. ;)

229SintoZag
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
why would you want to go to the mac and watch a game if you have a nice TV. With HD, the physicality of the game that you used to miss is almost offset. I guess it is kind of fun to bar hop before and after the game and socialize but just to watch the game it is more practical now to watch from home. With SD, watching the game from home was not as good obviously. But now, driving to GU, parking, walking quite a ways often, battling the winter environment, etc., it is no brainer. You save, time, money, stress. The arena itself is a vast improvement upon the Kennel...I just never understood those wooden boxes that look like some shack that a homeless person build in the woods to escape the elements. I guess they are supposed to be "luxury boxes?" If you are talking national program, I mean do it right. Any person watching on tv must be wondering why there is a homeless shelter overlooking the basketball court. Any recruit who sees those things might have second thoughts about the arena. Just saying. Am I the only one who has negative feelings about this?

The problem with your thesis is that home games are still not broadcast in true HD for the most part, at least as of last year. I have high hopes that KHQ will change and start broadcasting games this year in true hi def, but I fear that they will continue to use their antiquated equipment and broadcast in a lower resolution than I can currently get on skype on my iphone.

ESPN brings real HD stuff when they come to town so we should be good there.

Does anyone know if KHQ actually intends to step up their game this year and join the real world and provide us a real hi def broadcast of the home games for once?

KStyles
11-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know if KHQ actually intends to step up their game this year and join the real world and provide us a real hi def broadcast of the home games for once?

The NW Nazarene exhibition game was broadcast in HD on KHQ/ROOT NW. I'd assume that would continue through the regular season.

DADoZAG
11-05-2012, 11:40 AM
The NW Nazarene exhibition game was broadcast in HD on KHQ/ROOT NW. I'd assume that would continue through the regular season.

Yes, the camera operation and lighting problems aside, it was HD and a huge improvement.

Anyone know if this is more of a KHQ investment or a GU investment? I thought I read on this board that the cameras were actually the property of GU, but I couldn't find that post (from last year, IIRC).

Go ZAGS!

229SintoZag
11-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks for this. I missed the exhibition. I hope this is a harbinger of good things to come and not an anomaly.

jake
11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
The Chiles Center down at UP is very nice, but it is tiny. Plus, UP only fills that arena when the ZAGS come to town, and that is only because of west side ZAG fans (like me) who make the trip down I-5.

The Chiles Center holds almost 5,000 people. Relative to our arena size, I'm not sure that makes it tiny.

Kiddwell
11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
USD's Slim Gym = 5100. A lovely venue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jenny_Craig_Pavilion1.jpg

:]

JIMMYMAC
11-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Well, maybe for your buddy "dropping $200k" was about more than game tickets. Not everyone analyzes a gift to Gonzaga from the "what do *I* get out of this" point of view.

Sorry BoltZag,

didn't mean to come across as selfish but I can see how it came across that way. Not good on my part. I was trying to draw a comparison to what kind of $$$ the early ticket holders got in for vs. what the current price tag is.

LongIslandZagFan
11-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes, the camera operation and lighting problems aside, it was HD and a huge improvement.

Anyone know if this is more of a KHQ investment or a GU investment? I thought I read on this board that the cameras were actually the property of GU, but I couldn't find that post (from last year, IIRC).

Go ZAGS!

As much as I'd like to think this was the case.... My gut says they invested for themselves to catch up with the 21st century.

NotoriousZ
11-06-2012, 05:57 AM
As much as I'd like to think this was the case.... My gut says they invested for themselves to catch up with the 21st century.

While I love the HD, the only thing I realy cared about was the appearance of the program to future recruits. Watching Sportscenter in HD and going from Kentucky or Duke highlights into a Low-def Zags clip was a little sad for me.

Thanks a million for whomever put out the cash for HD!!!

Or is it whoever? Who ever? Me english no.

TacomaZAG
11-06-2012, 08:30 AM
My bad on the "tiny" comment regarding the Chiles Center. I've been there numerous times and it doesn't seem like anywhere near 5000 capacity, more like 3500 or so by feel. Guess I should check before making a comment.

Thanks for the heads up.

Go ZAGS

GoGU
11-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Go ZAGS!

This is likely a KHQ investment on their broadcast equipment, not the cameras. GU owns some HD cameras, but they are for the in-house video (what you see on the big screen in the arena). They are not what you see on TV.

Whenever KHQ/ROOT or ESPN broadcast a game, they're not actually using their own cameras. Instead, the network contracts out the game coverage to a production services company (most events in the Pacific NW are covered by Mira Mobile TV based in Portland) who provides the production truck (the giant semi-trailer parked in the MAC loading dock), the broadcast equipment (including the cameras), and certain key personnel who drive the truck to the event site. ESPN or KHQ provides the on-air talent (Heister, etc) and probably the producer as well. All the other personnel (camera operators, sound mixers, graphics people, etc.) are independent contractors from the Spokane/Seattle/Portland area, probably hired on an event-by-event basis.

HD cameras and transmission equipment are standard in the sports broadcasting industry these days. The video signal from the arena originates in HD, and it is bounced by satellite to KHQ's studio, Seattle (ROOT), or Bristol, CT (ESPN). If KHQ has finally started showing games in HD, it's because they have upgraded the equipment that handles the signal as it comes through their studio and goes out over their transmitter and/or the cable company feeds. The event equipment has been HD-capable for years.

The only exception to this is if only SWX is covering the game (most often the case for women's games). They have their own cameras and production truck and I don't believe it is HD-capable, but it doesn't matter because SWX isn't an HD channel anyway.

Here's a spec sheet for one of the production trucks that is regularly used at GU games. This is all the equipment available to the crew when they broadcast a Gonzaga basketball game: http://miramobile.com/Content/Uploaded/MIRA%20M-11%20REVISED-09-17-12.pdf

roxdoc
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Very enlightening - Thank you!

OregonZag5
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
If you want to see expensive sporting events tickets- you should see my bill for Oregon football tickets- and I need to donate- only good point is that I am grandfathered in for my donation amount- THe BCS cost the last time was 300.00 per ticket and that was if you made the list. Never tell the wife what they really cost- and she is the Oregon grad- now want cheap tickets- buy Oregon basketball tickets-

UberZagFan
11-06-2012, 03:07 PM
When the discussion was occurring on a new facility, 6K was a pretty large number and definitely a significant increase. While obviously the exponential increase in costs for adding 1K-4K seats was a major consideration, there no doubt were other reasons.

Anyone who now looks back with 20-20 hindsight and says filling an 8K arena for a decade straight game in and game out was certain to happen is either lying or very ignorant of the history of college bball attendance--not just at GU but across the board. Even filling a 6K arena was iffy - despite what some want to claim now.

Look at LMU in the Hank Gathers/Bo Kimble days. They routinely sold out WCC games. Now they are lucky to get their place 3/4s full aside from the GU game (even BYU last year was only 3K out of 4100 capacity) and it's been that way for a long, long time.

Other schools who have had similar success that GU has from 99-02, have not maintained the attendance numbers. And many of those schools are in more populated areas (granted though, GU bball is the "only" game in town or so say some). Frankly, what GU has done has be the epitome of "the exception not the rule" with respect to maintaining not only the winning but also the attendance.

Another thing to consider is the percentage of the student section vs. capacity, which is pretty high at GU.

jbslicer
11-07-2012, 05:03 AM
I have two seats five rows from the top in section 113. The tickets cost $1000 this year. I wonder how much it would cost me to be the same distance from the court in Rupp Arena or the Dean Dome.

Zagpower
11-07-2012, 05:27 AM
I have two seats five rows from the top in section 113. The tickets cost $1000 this year. I wonder how much it would cost me to be the same distance from the court in Rupp Arena or the Dean Dome.

It's a great deal. On a per game basis, Zag tickets cost less than a dinner and a movie........which is exactly what I gave up to buy Zag tix. Haven't seen a movie in a theater since K2 was built.

Psychozag
11-07-2012, 08:15 AM
As a Bulldog Club member, I was just able to buy two lower seat tickets for the West Virginia game for 90 dollars total. While I am excited about this, the reason why they were available is because students didn't pick up the total alloted amount. This concerns me because it feels like the students are getting apathetic about basketball. It's not a holiday, and it's WVU coming into the Kennel, and they couldn't give away all the tickets? Not good in my opinion.

GoGU
11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
As a Bulldog Club member, I was just able to buy two lower seat tickets for the West Virginia game for 90 dollars total. While I am excited about this, the reason why they were available is because students didn't pick up the total alloted amount. This concerns me because it feels like the students are getting apathetic about basketball. It's not a holiday, and it's WVU coming into the Kennel, and they couldn't give away all the tickets? Not good in my opinion.

Student tickets haven't been distributed yet. Ticket distribution is this Sunday. I personally guarantee that all student tickets will be used. Not sure why Bulldog Club seats are open, but it's not because the students aren't going to show up. There's a lot of hype among the student body for this game. Also, it has been officially declared to be a camping game, so tent city will be out in full force on Sunday night. You should be worried about the St. Mary's game, when the majority of the undergraduate population won't have a place to sleep on campus because the dorms won't be open yet.

C'mon man, give us some credit.

gu03alum
11-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Student tickets haven't been distributed yet. Ticket distribution is this Sunday. I personally guarantee that all student tickets will be used. Not sure why Bulldog Club seats are open, but it's not because the students aren't going to show up. There's a lot of hype among the student body for this game.

(Also, it has been officially declared to be a camping game, so tent city will be out in full force on Sunday night.)

No way

"The student section was only good when I was going to school at GU"

jbslicer
11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Bulldog Club members could buy four tickets for Southern Utah and three for West Virginia. Maybe the faculty isn't using their allotment.

GoGU
11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Haha we could start another whole thread on the student section topic and I know I would be outnumbered.

Psychozag
11-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Student tickets haven't been distributed yet. Ticket distribution is this Sunday. I personally guarantee that all student tickets will be used. Not sure why Bulldog Club seats are open, but it's not because the students aren't going to show up. There's a lot of hype among the student body for this game. Also, it has been officially declared to be a camping game, so tent city will be out in full force on Sunday night. You should be worried about the St. Mary's game, when the majority of the undergraduate population won't have a place to sleep on campus because the dorms won't be open yet.

Glad to hear that. I am surprised about this because it's never worked that way before that I can remember. It's always been student distribution on Sunday, staff Monday morning (if I remember correctly), with the remainders going to Bulldog Club on Wednesday.
So, after hearing that bit of information, credit is given.

GoGU
11-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Glad to hear that. I am surprised about this because it's never worked that way before that I can remember. It's always been student distribution on Sunday, staff Monday morning (if I remember correctly), with the remainders going to Bulldog Club on Wednesday.
So, after hearing that bit of information, credit is given.

Yeah it's weird this week because we have a game on Friday (which was distributed according to normal procedures, though I know that a limited number of student tickets were still available as of yesterday morning) followed by a rare Monday night game which also happens to be a camping game. The distribution for the West Virginia game will also be the distribution for the South Dakota game. And the camping tweet for WVU goes out on Sunday afternoon.

gu03alum
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Haha we could start another whole thread on the student section topic and I know I would be outnumbered.

Oh man, I hope not. I dislike bashing the student section threads almost as much as I dislike threads wondering whether the MAC can be expanded.