PDA

View Full Version : OT- Movember! PMTA

gozagswoohoo
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to keep this on the Main Board for at least this afternoon. November marks the annual Movember ridiculous mustache growing movement, in order to create awareness and raise money to help battle the biotch of a disease, prostate cancer.

Starting November 1st, myself and thousands of other men all over the world have shaved their face completely, and then use the entire month to grow a ridiculous looking mustache. When people ask about the mustache, it gives the opportunity to give some interesting statistics and information about prostate cancer. For example:

·######## 80% of men will carry prostate cancer cells in their lifetime

·######## 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer

·######## 1 in 36 will die from the disease

·######## Nearly 100% of men diagnosed early, while the cancer is local to the prostate will live 5 years or more. (10-year survival rate = 91%, 15-year survival rate = 76%)

Most of us are going to hear the word “Cancer” and “Prostate” in the same sentence at some point in our lives, but if you get checked out and it’s caught early, you have a much better chance of living until you die from something else like heart disease or freak accident, which rank 1 and 3, respectively (all cancer is #2).
(that info, courtesy of GUinStL, via WebMD)

Early detection is KEY!

Along with the drive to create more awareness, I'm also on a team that is working to raise money for the battle against prostate cancer. Donations of $1, up to $753,000 would be SUPER appreciated! You can go to my personal Movember page to donate!! Thank you SO much for any donation at all! Who knows, with enough ridiculous mustaches, maybe we'll raise enough awareness and money to one day crush this disease!

Here is the blog for my team (GUinStL is the captain): http://midwestmoustachealliance.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-09-21T10:58:00-05:00&max-results=7&m=0

And here is how you can donate, if you feel so generously led to do! Thank you!
https://us.movember.com/mobile/#profile/3904837

SteelZag
11-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm in the ten year surival rate and hoping to move up a level!

JPtheBeasta
11-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I grow a crappy moustache, so I am doing my part and offering free prostate exams this month to any of you who are over 50 who can make it down to Scottsdale. Gloves and lubrication will be used upon request at a slight fee.

JPtheBeasta
11-03-2012, 07:30 PM

I just saw your post and I apologize for my prior post if it was insensitive. I should apologize, anyway, for being so sophomoric. The DRE is an important thing to do and the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force is recommending against the PSA blood test (http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/prostatecancerscreening.htm). Urologists don't agree (http://www.auanet.org/content/health-policy/government-relations-and-advocacy/in-the-news/uspstf-psa-recommendations.cfm). As someone in healthcare, I think it's best to get both checked, fellas. In the very least, talk to your health care provider about it. And if a close family member was found to have prostate cancer before age 60, you should be checked sooner. (Don't forget your colonoscopes either, and that applies to the ladies, as well.)

gozagswoohoo
11-03-2012, 08:45 PM

Wow! That is AWESOME!! So glad to hear. Keep it up.

willandi
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm 64 and had a colonoscopy at 60...totally clean. They said come back in 10 years. My PSA was elevated, lasy year, so had a biopsy done and again was clean.
My lovely wife expressed the opinion that men were lucky. Women had to get into those stirrup chairs for a pelvic exam...very embarrassing. Men got to get a digital exam to check their prostate. I gave her the digit...she understood! Too funny!:lmao:

JPtheBeasta
11-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm 64 and had a colonoscopy at 60...totally clean. They said come back in 10 years. My PSA was elevated, lasy year, so had a biopsy done and again was clean.
My lovely wife expressed the opinion that men were lucky. Women had to get into those stirrup chairs for a pelvic exam...very embarrassing. Men got to get a digital exam to check their prostate. I gave her the digit...she understood! Too funny!:lmao:

Good story :]

Akzag
11-04-2012, 01:55 AM
I think we need some before, during, and after 'Stache pics to keep this thread popping.

SweetOnionZag
11-04-2012, 05:07 AM

Hi Will. Your wife is correct, but the embarrassment usually lessions as they leave the doctors office, and lessions as time goes on. If she had to get in the stirrups each day, that would really be embarrasing, but many men recovering from prostate cancer surgery could have 2 to 3 full diapers EVERYDAY and sometimes spillage. In a public setting, THAT'S REAL EMBARRASSING, especially since more than just a professional doctor and nurse are witnessing it. Females do not have a lock on embarrassment, nor do men have a lock on "lucky". You and your lovely wife should keep up the exams, no matter how embarrassing................18 month survivor.....It was early, small and confined and I don't wear pink..........KEEP THIS THREAD GOING....

gozagswoohoo
11-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi Will. Your wife is correct, but the embarrassment usually lessions as they leave the doctors office, and lessions as time goes on. If she had to get in the stirrups each day, that would really be embarrasing, but many men recovering from prostate cancer surgery could have 2 to 3 full diapers EVERYDAY and sometimes spillage. In a public setting, THAT'S REAL EMBARRASSING, especially since more than just a professional doctor and nurse are witnessing it. Females do not have a lock on embarrassment, nor do men have a lock on "lucky". You and your lovely wife should keep up the exams, no matter how embarrassing................18 month survivor.....It was early, small and confined and I don't wear pink..........KEEP THIS THREAD GOING....

Thank you for helping give me an even better perspective on all of this!