PDA

View Full Version : Specific information about W.Virginia & K-state wanted

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I always enjoy the annual dinner but didn't get to hear much about West Virginia and K-State teams. From what I've read up to now, West Virginia sounds like they are loaded w/ talent. Haven't read much about K-state but I can imagine being in competition w/ the U of K in basketball, they must be a force as well. K-state is very well coached. I wish there was some more info disseminated about these 2 teams but the food was good.

Any info appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Oregonzagnut
11-01-2012, 09:50 PM
I always enjoy the annual dinner but didn't get to hear much about West Virginia and K-State teams. From what I've read up to now, West Virginia sounds like they are loaded w/ talent. Haven't read much about K-state but I can imagine being in competition w/ the U of K in basketball, they must be a force as well. K-state is very well coached. I wish there was some more info disseminated about these 2 teams but the food was good.

Any info appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Outside of scouring the statistical pages and WV, KS message boards until more games are played we only know what is available to the public. But we are deeper than both of those teams IMO and we will have the fans in Seattle and we are better than Huggies mountaineers.

Baldwinzag
11-02-2012, 06:40 AM
West Virginia = Top-15 type team & talent this season.

Coach Huggins stated in a recent interview, "This is the most balanced team I've had since Coaching here, and we can be as good as anybody this season."

He went on to say they are a much better squad than last season and finally have depth in the front court.

The quote and link was somewhere on here: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509

K-State = Top-25 type team & talent. Lose their top guard, return most of their skilled players and shooters...thought highly of by their own conference & rivals, yet not receiving much recognition nationally, at least not yet.

Teams such as Butler, Oklahoma St, & BYU were all selected in the Top-2 or 3 of their own conference by Coaches/pollsters, thus are underrated and most likely better than last season.

fwiw, I think this schedule is MUCH tougher than last season and will show by season's end with most opponents performing well or being ranked; however, I feel we've improved as well. It shall be interesting...

CDC84
11-02-2012, 07:53 AM
WVU has to find someone or some people to replace the scoring and overall production of their best two players (by far) from last season: Kevin Jones and Darryl Bryant. They accounted for 52% of their offense, and Jones was one of the best players in the country last year. There are question marks with that team, which is why they're picked to finish in the middle of the pack or towards the bottom of the Big 12 this season. But they have players, and any game vs. a Bob Huggins coached team is going to be tough.

I have no idea what to expect from KSU. I suppose it depends on how the players adjust to Bruce Weber. He couldn't be a more different coach than Frank Martin. Different system, different personality, more emphasis on offense, etc.

Baldwinzag
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
WVU has to find someone or some people to replace the scoring and overall production of their best two players (by far) from last season: Kevin Jones and Darryl Bryant. They accounted for 52% of their offense, and Jones was one of the best players in the country last year. There are question marks with that team, which is why they're picked to finish in the middle of the pack or towards the bottom of the Big 12 this season. But they have players, and any game vs. a Bob Huggins coached team is going to be tough.

It'll help that WVU adds 4 transfers who are eligible this season, along with 2 other Top-100 RS or injury-RS players:

The transfers alone should help and they are ---

6'5" SG Matt Humphrey: a transfer via Boston College(& Oregon), who averaged 10.5 ppg, 4 rpg in the ACC last season. Immediately eligible.

6'11" C Aaric Murray: via La Salle(Atlantic-10 school), who averaged 15 ppg, 8 rpg, & a whopping 2.5 bpg as Sophomore. A 4*, Top-40 ranked player coming out of HS.

6'1" PG Juwan Staten: a Dayton Flyer transfer who started at PG as a Freshman and averaged nearly 9 ppg, and an Atlantic-10 best 5.5 assists per game.

6'10" C Volodymyr Gerun: a brand new Ukranian player, Int'l prospect who averaged 18.2 ppg, 11 rpg and 2 bpg at the Under-18 European Championships last summer. For instance, Karnowski averaged around 13 ppg, 5 rpg at the same tournament a year ago.

Coming off season-ending injury are --

6'10", 250lb PF Kevin Noreen: a Top-75 4* player and 92 grade on ESPN.

They return 3 of their 4 talented Freshman from a year ago, not to mention the big, bad lumberjack, Deniz Kilicli (6'9", 265 lbs; 10.5 ppg, 6 rpg last season).

FWIW, West Virginia's leading scorer and rebounder vs Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament both return as well.

6'3" SG Gary Browne, led his team with 15 pts off the bench vs Zags.

6'8" PF Dominique Rutledge, led his team with 6 rebs off the bench vs Zags.

Coach Huggins is more excited than he's been since they made the Final 4 a few years back. The Mountaineers should present a difficult test and great game early in the season. We could easily go 0-2 as well as 2-0 vs this team.

As I've posted ad nauseum, I just think West Va is going to sneak up on people this year, including their own conference. Huggy Bear hasn't been this giddy since his Bearcat days with Nick Van Exel and K-Mart.

007Zag
11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm just hoping we can get by WVU this first go around while they're still putting it together, and with KO back beat them again in the Old Spice Classic (if we see them).

Zagdawg
11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
WV makes me very nervous-- they have a ton of big bodies to put out on the floor-- plus they will have the chip on their shoulder with the loss to us last year.

They are not a 1-2 trick pony that we could concentrate on a couple of guys and win by taking them out of their rythm this year.

We will see.

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I would much rather have WVA and K-State complacent about facing GU. Our Team has some very good talent and I realize that's not a secret. However, I get real nervous when young players are exposed to glorious newspaper and other media comments. We are a good team, let's leave it at that.

The game is played on the court not on paper. Young players may place too much credibility on what they hear and read. Let's get a few pre-season games under out belts before we 'anoint' this team or draw any parallels to the 1999 team. I still think Cinderella is a nice lady.

wvubball
11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Great analysis of the Mountaineers, Baldwinzag, and thank you for the invite to discuss our season-opener. To your analysis I'll add that both Staten and Murray practiced with the team all year last year. Humph and Gerun are new, both eligible to play this season. Gerun will have to sit the first six games.

Oregonzagnut, I'm afraid I don't know enough about Gonzaga's depth to compare, but I do think this is by far the deepest team Huggins has had since being at WVU. We Mountaineer fans expect depth to be one of our main strengths this year. I read in Lindy's that depth might be a problem for the Zags this year, but it sounds like you're saying that's not the case at all. I was hoping we'd have an advantage on you there.

We will be a very, very different team than the Mountaineers you guys so handily humiliated in the dance last year. (Props on that win, by the way. Still stings.) We look good on paper, but we'll have to see how all of our talent comes together. If Aaric Murray and Juwan Staten are as good as advertised, then we're going to make some noise in the Big 12 I think. Can we be ready for the Zags to start the season, though? Dunno.

I promise you, combatcorpsmangulaw, that there will be no complacency on our part this year. Huggins isn't taking any chances either. In fact, he's been playing our Gonzaga loss on the big screen of our practice facility (where our players basically live) 24/7 for some time now, and it's not going to stop until the season opener. Here's a photo I snapped of it last week.(For scale, note that that's a flight of steps in front of the screen. :) Talk about big humiliation.

http://cs23.olbiz.net/racerxonline/b/zags1.JPG

CDC84, you won't find many WVU fans who look at the loss of Truck Bryant as a negative. Many are rejoicing that he's gone, but even people who don't hate him (like me) think we're about a thousand times improved in the back court this year. And as zagdawg pointed out, the fact that so much of our team was on two guys was a problem for us, not a good thing. KJ's got some really big shoes to fill, obviously, but we're hoping we can do it with a team of guys and not an individual.

Most WVU fans speculate a starting lineup of:

1. Juwan Staten
2. Jabarie Hinds
3. Matt Humphrey or Keaton Miles
4. Aaric Murray
5. Deniz Kilicli (Turk will be tough to handle -- still strong as an ox, but he worked on conditioning like crazy in the off-season, has lost most of his body fat, and is supposedly ready to run this year.)

Probably with Gary Browne and Humph or Miles first off the bench.

One of my biggest concerns this year is FT shooting. We sucked last year, and the more I look at our team, the less convinced I am that we're going to improve in that department. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Here's hoping for a good game with no injuries - and preferably with a little WVU redemption. ;)

sittingon50
11-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Great post, wvu. Stick around.

wvubball
11-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Great post, wvu. Stick around.

Thanks.

Oh, and you guys might get a kick out of this. My buddy Moser lives in Spokane and we had a bet for last year's game, where the loser had to write a poem about the winner and blast it on our social networks. Yeah, I know ... real manly.

Anyway, this is what I came up with.

Big props to Moser, who showed his composure,
When placing a bet on the Zags.
He said they'd advance to Round 3 of The Dance,
And the 'eers would be packing their bags.

Turns out he was right, the 'eers had no fight,
In Pittsburgh they laid down and died.
Gonzaga, the winner, they ate us for dinner,
While I just drank whiskey and cried.

I've bet him again for the opener. Hopefully he does the writing this time.

combatcorpsmangulaw
11-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Baldwinzag/WV fan: Thank you both for the objective analysis of each team from each of you. Pleasure to read.

I have no doubt Bobby Huggins isn't sleeping at the switch when it comes to redressing the outcome of the last meeting. And, I doubt that Few or the GU Fans are expecting nothing less than a 'war' on the court. I can hardly wait to see the game. Nothing like college athletics w/ two well coached and highly talented teams.

Thanks again for those comments.

Zag365
11-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I went looking to see if WVU had any games prior to this Monday's official opener. Found that they had an exhibition game on 11/6 that went for them much like the Zags exhibition and SUU tune-ups.

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=22367&cat=exclusives