PDA

View Full Version : What Zag will steal POY from Dellavadova?

3zagda
10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Delly is the preseason WCC coaches pick for Player of the Year.
Is there a Zag you think that can steal that from him?
My pick is Elias.
Who is your pick?

OZZY
10-30-2012, 04:15 PM
It is tough in some respects as the team is so balanced and deep. Any one of the 4 assumed starters could jump up and have a great year. Elias obviously has the most to gain being a senior..... but believe it or not my choice is KO.

No, I haven't been smoking anything, and yes it may be a little far fetched, but he has the talent and from what I hear the staff believe that he is a game changer. I have great belief in him and have a gut feeling that he will end up being a huge suprise to many this year (especially those at another GU supporters board who have constantly rubbished him!)

ZagNative
10-30-2012, 04:17 PM
You're too funny, Ozzy. I knew what you were going to say as soon as I saw your name. Let it never be said Ozzy isn't loyal!

gbnyba17
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
GBJ, assuming he picks up his aggressiveness and looks to score a little more. That kid has it all!

krozman
10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Zags have a natural disadvantage in the POY department, given that we have so many that can contribute significantly from game to game.

3zagda
10-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Maybe our balance is the problem.
As soon as I put down Elias, I thought Geez, Pangos could easily be the guy...

MickMick
10-30-2012, 04:40 PM
If I had to pick one, it would be Pangos.

Delly is almost a lock. He isn't going to do anything to hurt his status as preseason favorite.

Only Pangos can put up numbers big enough to overcome the justifiable preseason advantage that Delly has. They will have to be very, very good numbers.

GBJ could actually end up being a better overall player than Kevin, but the intangibles that Gary brings are not easily quantifiable.

Delly gets POY, but GBJ will battle Holt down to the wire for DPOY.

SMC and GU sport the best guard tandems on the West Coast and one could argue they are in the top ten for the entire country. Both of them.

The wild card in all of this is Karnowski. There will come a day when he will dominate the GU stat sheet. The question is how soon will it come?

GZag
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
GBJ is my only answer.

But there are other possibilities that could surprise me

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Zags have a natural disadvantage in the POY department, given that we have so many that can contribute significantly from game to game.

That is not a bad problem to have.

I think Dellevedova will win the award, because no Zag is going to have enough nights where he has to be the "go-to" guy to earn the honor. I also think that Dellevedova is the best player in the conference and would be the best player on this Zags team if we had him.

sittingon50
10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
do we have this conversation every year? Each Coach nominates ONE player from his team for POY. Few has shown a tendency to go with a Sr. Unless Elias falls on his face I'm pretty sure he gets the nod.

cjm720
10-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Yep. Hoping for Harris though.

UKWildcatsFan
10-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't think anybody will, I do this Elias has the best chance though.

RenoZag
10-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't think anybody will, I do this Elias has the best chance though.

Yup.

Delly is a baller.

Zags are a TEAM.

hooter73
10-30-2012, 06:43 PM
no one. everyone else is sick of GU players winning so many awards... :)

Bogozags
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I think this issue is so pre-mature and I know people are board so these type of questions come out of the woodwork...

If SMC wins the conference then Delly wins, if GU wins then Harris wins, if BYU wins then Davies wins, if SCU wins then...

It should be the best player on the conference champion that should win the POY...at least that is how I see it...

BobZag
10-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Delly wins, with all due respect to all other WCC players. He's better. Real simple.

Oregonzagnut
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Replacing Delly is nearly impossible. He has no back-up close to his ability and experience. He averaged 37.4 minutes per game, top 12 in the nation! Without Delly SMC isn't even 3rd in the WCC.

What might be more difficult is who to pick for the 1st team All-WCC? 2nd team?

For those who think it is too early to talk or speculate about anything, then it must be you raining on my parade.:):adored::)

ridgebackzag
10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Delly wins, with all due respect to all other WCC players. He's better. Real simple.

I would say that SMC needs Delly more than we need any single player. He's going to be the glue guy just like he was last year with all those youngins. He makes all of the players better by getting the attention of the defense. We have 2 or 3 of those players this year, as far as attention goes. Who's the glue? It's too soon to tell I think.

Bogozags
10-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Replacing Delly is nearly impossible. He has no back-up close to his ability and experience. He averaged 37.4 minutes per game, top 12 in the nation! Without Delly SMC isn't even 3rd in the WCC.

What might be more difficult is who to pick for the 1st team All-WCC? 2nd team?

For those who think it is too early to talk or speculate about anything, then it must be you raining on my parade.:):adored::)

Sorry, wasn't trying to cause any more rain...especially since we just had that nice storm pass by here...

zag944
10-31-2012, 07:11 AM
I think Harris will (again) be our 3rd best player behind the starting backcourt, but itll be close and he'll be our nominee, being the senior.

I think he has a decent chance. Our team is nice and balanced though. St Marys is very good, but I think theyll need Delly to be a star more than we need any of our guys to.

Baldwinzag
10-31-2012, 07:35 AM
GBJ.

He's our guy this season. The breakthrough performer, if you will. Yes, talking heads mention his 48% 3pt shooting and elude to his toughness, but he's an all-around baller.

Our defensive stalwart, our shooting ace, most clutch/consistent performer on the road, and quite possibly our strongest player in the weight room from I'm hearing. Not to mention our top threat at taking it to the rim....and finishing (w/o traveling too).

The aggressiveness and confidence he showed in KiK & Exhibition is light years ahead of where he was last season. Its the only area that held his game back last year and he still averaged double-figure PPG.

Also, given the fact Coach Few recently stated, "Pangos will have to learn to share time this season." (Link escapes me but a direct quote), tells me Stockton will sub quite a bit for Kevin, yet who fills in for GBJ, especially vs BCS teams? Not really anyone, save possibly Kyle Dranginis with the right match-ups, thus I think Gary Bell earns the most minutes on the team this entire season. This helps the cause. fwiw, he averaged the most minutes of any player towards the end of last season as well.

Gary was a phenom Freshman and will be a stud Sophomore. If he stays healthy, I predict his "jump" to be the most significant and impactful.

GBJ breaks onto the scene -- once again -- and takes his already stellar game to a whole new level. Leads team in scoring, dominates guards in WCC, and is considered one of the best shooters & defensive players in all the land (NCAA).

GBJ overtakes Delly as WCC POY.

DADoZAG
10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
GBJ overtakes Delly as WCC POY.

I agree with 100% of your post, except this (and your interpretation on Stockton).

It won't matter how great GB2 is. Delly will still get WCC POY provided he stays healthy, and he's earned it. :clap:

Go ZAGS!

TacomaZAG
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
I like the way you think.

GBJ will have a break-out year and be the "go to" guy before the end of the year. As to POY, I'll look to him more next year and his senior year. The sky is the limit for this young man.

Book it........

Go ZAGS

CDC84
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
It hasn't happened 100% of the time, but the guy who wins the player of the year award in the WCC is most often a player on the team who wins the regular season championship. Players have won the award before whose statistics weren't as good as other players in the conference....but they won the award because they played on the best team. I think if a team besides SMC wins the league there is a reasonable chance that Delly won't win it.

Vanzagger
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
We have so much talent. I wish ZagNation would be less concerned about match ups.

No one can match up with us. So work had on the D and have some fun.

Less is more.

cjm720
10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree with 100% of your post, except this (and your interpretation on Stockton).

It won't matter how great GB2 is. Delly will still get WCC POY provided he stays healthy, and he's earned it. :clap:

Go ZAGS!

Delly has the talent to win it again, obviously, but he hasn't earned the 2013 WCC POY of the year yet!

aflac4life
10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Based on last game, Mike Hart

Zag4Hire
10-31-2012, 11:04 AM
The fact there are multiple possibilities including Pangs & EH is pretty awesome. However, I think we are going to see the next level of GBJ. I expect the NBA hype to be coming to a message board near you come early April. Yes, I think he is that good.

Johnnygu
10-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Edi!!! (half joking but also therefore half serious lol) He looks great so far.

He's the best athlete on our team, depending on his offseason training, he may be able to make a significant offensive impact this year.

But if I was a betting man...pangos, hands down. Della della what?!

MDABE80
10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Gary shoots like he can AND with his defense...he'll get lots of support for POY. SMC wins the league, Dova will be POY. GU wins the league, it'll be either of our guards or Elias. I wouldn't be surprised to have two kids share it .

BULLDOG#1
10-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Delly is a great player, no doubt. BUT -- It is possible that a zag could emerge and take the POY honor from him. There is a disadvantage in that we've got such a deep and balanced team -- but I like to think voters see past that.

If it's all about being 'the man' and showcasing your skills as focus of the team, then I think Brandon Davies has a great shot to take POY away from Delly.

It's hard for me to imagine Delly much better than he was last year. Some zags (Harris, Bell, Pangos) were great last year AND have room to improve. In that respect, they've all got at least a shot at POY with marked improvement.

Best shot probably belongs to Harris. He's a senior and after a regression in his soph year, has shown steady improvement. I think there will be conference games that he dominates -- even as part of a deep team -- more often than Delly does. Harris might end up better suited to play with bigs like KO and Karn rather than Sacre -- given that they are better passers and would defer the block to Harris.

Also, Delly might miss Jones more than people think. Jones wasn't just a strong rebounder and scorer, he was a smart player and could play to Delly's strength... His offensive capability made it easier for Delly and Waldow to run the pick and roll effectively. This year may be different...

rennis
10-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Barring injury, I say Delly wins it whether or not SMC takes the crown again. If they finish 2nd I still say he gets the nod. They finish 3rd or worse, it goes to the Sr. Forward who finishes at the top, so either Elias or Davies.

Davies might be the best overall player in the league... just throwing that out there.

Dark horse choice for me is Anthony Ireland.

Bogozags
10-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Also, Delly might miss Jones more than people think. Jones wasn't just a strong rebounder and scorer, he was a smart player and could play to Delly's strength... His offensive capability made it easier for Delly and Waldow to run the pick and roll effectively. This year may be different...

If memory serves, Jones set more picks for Delly on their infamous pick&roll...His wide body will be missed but Waldow is no slouch either...it will be interesting to watch them play this year...