PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Gaddy update

BobZag
07-28-2007, 08:42 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/662429.html

When asked if he has an early leader, Gaddy replied, Im pretty high on Washington.

Few has his work cut out if he wants this guy in a Zag uni.

btzag
07-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Long way to go on this one but that's a little disappointing to hear.... Completely amazed at the salesman that Romar is and I have to give him credit for that. Sub-par product across the state but has Thomas coming in next year and Siva, Bradley, and now Gaddy are all supposedly really high on the Huskies.:confused: Hope some of them look at the great developement of Dentmon this last year and GU's long line of great PG's before they make their decision.

MickMick
07-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Gaddy would fit well in Romar's system. The exact type of player the Huskys need to recruit if they are going to get back in the national spotlight.

Nevtelen
07-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Well, hopefully we can get in there and land him anyway. There's still a long way to go. One thing that might help is that the Huskies have like a million guards coming into the program (_if_ some of them get eligible, a big if I guess) - in 09-10 they'll have: Oliver, Holiday, Overton, Isaiah Thomas, and Elston Turner. That's a lot of guards, and most would be sophs or frosh.

BobZag
07-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Kids his age change their minds with the wind. I think our staff will point out a few things and convince the mom that, hey, Spokane is a 45 minute flight or 4 hour drive, plus every game is on TV; it's not like Abdul would be going cross country.

I feel good about Gaddy, but Few & Staff have to give this recruitment their A-Game.

CDC84
07-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Gonzaga making a nice tourney run in March would help the situation. The thing is, he isn't choosing a school until the spring. That's a long time from now. Lots can happen between now and spring time.

Unbiased
07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I have seen him play a half a dozen times this past season - he is the real deal. It was hard to believe he was only in the tenth grade.

spudzag
07-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Gonzaga making a nice tourney run in March would help the situation. The thing is, he isn't choosing a school until the spring. That's a long time from now. Lots can happen between now and spring time.

A solid point and applies to all the PSAs now being recruited. These kids are all winners looking to continue winning and developing their talent at the national level. Think of the number of recent recruits who mentioned their desire for a trip to the final 4 or a shot at the national chanpionship.

BobZag
07-29-2007, 09:52 AM
In Hicks' article Gaddy mentions a winning history being important--

The Zags have made the postseason 13 of the last 14 years. It will be 14 of the last 15 next March. I don't know what UW has done.

Gaddy is my #1 guy for 2009. He's very good, a great fit for Gonzaga, the real deal as someone already mentioned, and still growing with a big upside yet. I'd love to have Abdul in blue and white in a couple years.

But if Few doesn't get Gaddy, Jared Cunningham of San Leandro, CA, is a real nice prospect, and I'd feel great if he chose Gonzaga.

But I want Abdul first.

cair3
07-29-2007, 09:55 AM
when i was in highschool i played against a lot of sophmores that went on to be heavily recruited D1 players and gaddy does not remind me of them. ill admit i have only seen him play twice, but i was not impressed as he did not stand out at all and displayed frustration and a lack of effort plus terrible off the ball defense. However i do see the appeal since he has a nice handle, decent hieght, a good outside shot and lots of time for developement.
i would not be very excited if the zags landed him. On the other side the other bellermine guard (although he looked like less of a point) was much more impressive and played hard, focused, and stood out. Id be happy if the zags landed him.

CDC84
07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
At the same time, I have read a few scouting reports on Gaddy that say he has a legit chance to develop into an elite on ball defender. Seriously. I know Jerry Meyer thinks highly of his defensive potential.

It is so hard to scout kids like Gaddy who are that young. You can see something in one game, and the reverse happens in the next. Like that one scout who said Gaddy needs to work on his shooting. Well, most people I know say that shooting is one of Gaddy's strengths.

The one thing that is true about Abdul is that he just keeps getting better and better as a prospect.

ZagNative
07-29-2007, 12:21 PM
In Hicks' article Gaddy mentions a winning history being important--

The Zags have made the postseason 13 of the last 14 years. It will be 14 of the last 15 next March. I don't know what UW has done.

I don't have numbers going back before '99, and I only track the NCAA tournament and not the NIT, but here's a comparison of what UW and Washington have done at the Dance since 1999:

Washington:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8391/uwncaage9.jpg

Gonzaga:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4343/ncaatournamentrecordsy6.jpg

CDC84
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
There aren't many programs that can say they reached the sweet 16 or better five times in the last 9 years. But this only tells part of the story....

Although I hate to bring up bad memories, imagine if a shot or two had been missed or made against UCLA, Texas Tech and Arizona. Those games went down to the last few seconds. A loss is a loss, but still, it's a sign that your program is highly competitive. Gonzaga could easily be sweet 16 or better 7 times in the last 9 years, including two elite 8 appearances and possibly 3 elite 8 appearances as I feel Gonzaga would've beaten Notre Dame in 2003 had that shot by Stepp gone in versus Arizona. I am not even factoring in the 1999 elite 8 game vs. UConn which went down to the last minute, or the 2004 team, who some feel is the best team this program has ever put together despite the terrible 2nd round loss to Nevada.

MDABE80
07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
ZN.....once again you've outdone yourself. Very well done:) CDC's right though........a bounce of the ball , a little better FT shooting, tiny differences could have put the Zags in nearly unfathomable turf. It was here and it was with us easily. Drat! If kids read this board, it's posts like these that clarify how much the Zags have done in a short period of time.

Notwithstanding the games like last Spring with Memphis......a regular season game that was anything but regular. That one game reinforced the tone of this program over the past several years. It's beyond me how the kids could show that kind of dedication on National TV and not grab the attention of the highly rated recruits.

ZagNative
07-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Abe, I copied and pasted all that stuff from Wiki into a spreadsheet over time, so it's easy to sort and filter to glean all sorts of gloating ammunition.

Here's a version that shows our final opponent in each tourney and how slim some of our margins of loss were, and it also shows seeding:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/711/guncaarecord2wb8.jpg

According to my numbers, 193 teams have made it to the Dance over the last nine years, a few, of course, for all nine years. The table below shows the teams that have made more than three Sweet 16 appearances over that time span. Note that only Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, UConn, Kentucky, and UCLA have more Sweet 16 appearances since 999 than the Zags do.

The chart also shows the total number of games each of the leaders played in over that nine-year span and the number of wins.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/318/sweet16bj6.jpg

sittingon50
07-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Great info, ZN!

ZagNative
07-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted already, but Jerry Meyer (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=695899) is touting Gaddy as one of the top '09 prospects he saw in Las Vegas:

.... up there with John Wall as one of the most impressive point guard prospects in the 2009 class. Not as dynamically fast with the ball as Wall, Gaddy does have a more complete game at this point.

A heady player with a great feel for the game, Gaddy does pretty much everything well. He has a feel for setting guys up for scoring opportunities as well as creating his shot off the dribble. Around the basket, he has an explosive burst to go along with superb body control. He also has a smooth 3-point shot off the catch, which makes him difficult to guard.

At 6 feet 3, Gaddy has the skills to play either guard position. He is beginning to receive serious national recruiting interest, but it looks like it will be difficult to draw him out his home state of Washington.

LynetteG
07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
A solid point and applies to all the PSAs now being recruited. These kids are all winners looking to continue winning and developing their talent at the national level. Think of the number of recent recruits who mentioned their desire for a trip to the final 4 or a shot at the national chanpionship.

spudzag, ditto that