PDA

View Full Version : WCC Announces New Deal with Time Warner Cable

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 02:43 PM
From the WCC Website (http://www.wccsports.com/genrel/102912aab.html):
West Coast Conference, Time Warner Cable Sports Announce Long-Term Partnership

TWC SportsNet to produce men's basketball Game of the Week, weekly show across WCC footprint

SAN BRUNO, Calif. - The West Coast Conference and Time Warner Cable Sports have announced a long-term agreement to televise WCC men's basketball games and other sporting events throughout Southern California and the entire Time Warner Cable SportsNet footprint - stretching from Las Vegas to Hawaii. As part of the agreement - Time Warner Cable SportsNet, the television home of the Los Angeles Lakers, LA Galaxy, and Los Angeles Sparks - will produce a WCC Game of the Week each Saturday during conference play. The WCC Game of the Week will be preceded by a 30-minute WCC shown on all of the WCC's regional television partners.

"We are proud to partner with Time Warner Cable Sports to showcase West Coast Conference basketball to our Southern California fans in an unprecedented capacity," said WCC Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich. "In addition, the WCC Game of the Week and pre-game show will help highlight our men's basketball programs and further strengthen our position as one of the best basketball conferences in the nation."

As part of the West Coast Conference's new long-term deal with Time Warner Cable Sports, the new Southern California regional sports network Time Warner Cable SportsNet will produce a minimum of 15 WCC men's basketball games in 2013, with that number growing to 22 in the coming years. As part of the deal, Time Warner Cable SportsNet will produce and air a West Coast Conference Game of the Week each Saturday during WCC play. The Game of the Week will be distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint - up to 20 million homes in all. The games will also be available to WCC fans everywhere on a digital platform. Time Warner Cable Sports will also produce a weekly half-hour show dedicated to WCC sports during the men's basketball season, and will produce select other WCC events as well.

"West Coast Conference schools like Loyola Marymount, Pepperdine and the University of San Diego are an integral part of the Southern California sports landscape and we're happy to give them a local TV home in Time Warner Cable SportsNet," said Mark Shuken, Senior Vice President and General Manager, TWC Sports RegionalNetworks. "Our networks promise to give sports fans more access to their teams than they've had before, and our partnership with the WCC allows us to do that through more live games as well as more team programming."

The first WCC Game of the Week will air on January 5, 2013, when Loyola Marymount plays at Saint Mary's. Other WCC Games of the Week include: BYU at Santa Clara (Jan. 12); Loyola Marymount at San Francisco (Jan. 19); Santa Clara at San Diego (Jan. 26); San Francisco at Pepperdine (Feb. 2); Pepperdine atPortland (Feb. 9); Gonzaga at San Francisco (Feb. 16); Santa Clara at Portland (Feb. 23); Portland at Gonzaga (March 2).

About Time Warner Cable Sports
Time Warner Cable Sports operates Southern California's two newest regional sports networks - Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes - which launched on October 1, 2012. Through their exclusive partnerships with the Los Angeles Lakers, LA Galaxy, Los Angeles Sparks and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), the 24/7, high-definition networks each deliver more than 150 live events per year plus extensive team coverage and behind-the-scenes access unlike anything fans have seen before. Time Warner Cable Deportes is the nation's first ever Spanish-language regional sports network, with commentary, programs and a perspective created uniquely for Spanish-speaking sports fans of all nationalities. For more information, visit www.twcsportsnet.com and twcdeportes.com. Follow the networks on Twitter @TWCSportsNet and @TWCDeportes and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TWCSportsNet and http://www.facebook.com/TWCDeportes. So will the Gonzaga games that are broadcast on Time Warner Cable be available to me in Spokane, via Comcast (which doesn't currently carry Sportsnet), or at least on line?

Argh!!!! Praying, hoping ...

kitzbuel
10-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Regional sports networks lack deals with DirecTV, Cox Communications, Dish Network (http://www.fiercecable.com/story/charter-att-verizon-agree-launch-time-warner-cable-sportsnet/2012-10-29)

And you know they will not want to have any give on the GU games since those will be the big ticket games.

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Angelo: HELP!

CDC84
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
The Game of the Week will be distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint - up to 20 million homes in all.

The question is: who are the television partners?

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
For once I'm happy to have Time Warner Cable.

willandi
10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Sounds like it's time for the best of the WCC teams to form their own conference. I'm sure that enough MWC teams would be glad to join in, oe some other schools!
Any idea on who voted to allow this? Doesn't seem to be in Gonzaga's best interest, and without the Zags, the deal wouldn't mean much!

Probably Student Life!

MississppiZag
10-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Seems like this was mostly for the other WCC schools and specifically those in the LA Area. I don't think this will effect more than a few GU games. Even those might still be available on other channels/providers

FWIW, the season opener is showing up on ROOT NW for DirecTV.

ZagnetitForce
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Sounds to me like it just affects California?

willandi
10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Why would the WCC target a TV deal with its 3 LA/SD teams as the focal point? Aren't there 5 more teams in conference? What does this say to them?

CDC84
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
FWIW, the season opener is showing up on ROOT NW for DirecTV.

The Gonzaga/Southern Utah game is a non-league game. The secondary TV deal with TWC SportsNet only involves games within WCC play.

Again, the presser clearly states that the games will be "distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint." I don't think you are going to need TWC SportsNet to see the Portland at Gonzaga game on March 2. It will be distributed to some local channel. I have to believe this is built into the contract. The league has to be aware of TWC SportsNet's limited distribution.

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 03:45 PM
The schedule for the involved games (http://www.twcsportsnet.com/sportsnet/articles/Press-releases/twcsportsnet-deal-with-wcc-102912.html) this season is here on the Sportsnet page. Just the two Gonzaga games mentioned - Gonzaga at San Francisco and Portland at Gonzaga.

Birddog
10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Good work Jaime, it looks to me like you reduced the footprint from national to regional for those of us that have satellites. I see very little chance that DirecTV or Dish will pick up TWC.

willandi
10-29-2012, 04:02 PM
So this is aimed primarily at helping the SoCal schools by giving them the same coverage as the Lakers are going to get...NONE!

ID ZAGFAN
10-29-2012, 04:19 PM
What I noticed when I went to the GU official schedule is that there is no TV listed for 8 GU WCC games. KHQ/Root is only listed for OOC games.

1/3 @ Pepperdine
1/5 @ Santa Clara
1/17 vs Portland
1/26 vs SF
2/7 vs. Pepperpine
2/9 vs LMU
2/16 @ SF
2/23 vs. SD
3/02 vs Portland

Both BYU games, @ LMU, @ SD, both SMC, vs Santa Clara, are all listed as being on the ESPN channels.

This is a real bummer if this is true.

ZaGranny

VaBeachZAG
10-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Lots of unanswered questions. For example, if the deal is only for one WCC game per week, what kind of TV coverage, if any, will be provided for the other games?? It looks like all of us who are outside the "WCC Market" have just been thrown under the bus - thanks a lot! For years and years the WCC conference tournament was annually played in California to the detriment of GU and UP. Once again it appears the California bias by the WCC has reared its ugly head.

Zagtana
10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
OK, if Im reading all this WCC-Time Warner partnership crap correctly, we GU fans living outside the TW and Spokane viewing area, (and there are thousands of us), wont get TV coverage of GU conference games unless ESPN picks up a couple of games. Is this correct? You wouldnt believe how many GU fans live here in Montana. GU sweatshirts and hats are everywhere over here if you were to attend a local high school sporting event you would see what I mean. If were losing ROOT coverage of conference games, many GU alums/fans are really getting the shaft big time. And, so is GU! I know Im really teed-off, to put it mildly. Im reserving my cussing for my dog she understands me.:mecry:

229SintoZag
10-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I am moving to a new house in the next month. I need to know whether to keep my DirecTV, or switch to cable.

I am already less than fully amused with DirecTV's decision not to carry the Pac 12 Network.

If they don't get a deal worked out soon to carry this new channel, I am leaving them. Simple. This despite the fact that I have been a happy customer for over 8 years now.

Some things just aren't negotiable.

Every single Gonzaga game needs to be available on TV for all games, nationwide. Nothing else is an acceptable state of affairs.

And no we are not spoiled. If we can broadcast every single professional poker tournament known to man, and if the Kardashians are somehow worth the bandwidth, we can find a spot for the Gonzaga games. That's the bottom line.

If we get them will the games at least be in HD? True HD? Please?

EDITED TO ADD: I just went to http://www.twcsportsnet.com/sportsnet/channel-finder.html and it turns out that neither DirecTV nor my local cable company (Comcast) have this channel. So I am not getting these games in either circumstance.

I guess the one good thing is we have the Lakers fans on our side. I cannot imagine any major national provider such as DirecTV not providing games for a franchise like the Lakers, with their market in California and their fan base.

Here's hoping the Lakers leverage this channel onto our providers before conference season begins.

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Zagtana, did you note that only two Gonzaga games are involved in the Time Warner deal at this point?

I have to believe that the rest of the conference games will continue to be offered on Root TV, with the Heister, Fox, Dickau team. From what I understand, Dickau just recently moved back to Spokane, presumably to resume his anchor duties, and I assume he wouldn't have done that without a deal to cover a good many games.

NotoriousZ
10-29-2012, 05:53 PM
I live in north Spokane and have DirecTV. So as of now, I will not be getting GU @ USF and Port @ GU, is this correct?

I'm sure I can make it to Spike's or the Swinging Doors, but wtf WCC? I guess we have to hope Time Warner keeps the focus on the soCal games and only screws us out of two games per season.

RenoZag
10-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Good work Jaime, it looks to me like you reduced the footprint from national to regional for those of us that have satellites. I see very little chance that DirecTV or Dish will pick up TWC.

Bingo. I dumped Charter cable for Directv 3 seasons ago in order to get RootNW and the "KHQ" games. . .this new deal appears to constrict rather than maintain or expand accessibility to Zag broadcasts.

I wonder if the "digital platform" referred to ( in the third paragraph of the quote in ZN's OP ) will be a pay per view or pay per season deal. . .

This is a money grab for the WCC

ldszagfan
10-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Have we heard how much this deal is worth?

willandi
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Have we heard how much this deal is worth?

To whom?

GZag
10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
For once I'm happy to have Time Warner Cable.

As soon as the replace my bad cable drop from the house to the street, I will be too.

ID ZAGFAN
10-29-2012, 06:14 PM
What I noticed when I went to the GU official schedule is that there is no TV listed for 8 GU WCC games. KHQ/Root is only listed for OOC games.

1/3 @ Pepperdine
1/5 @ Santa Clara
1/17 vs Portland
1/26 vs SF
2/7 vs. Pepperpine
2/9 vs LMU
2/16 @ SF
2/23 vs. SD
3/02 vs Portland

Both BYU games, @ LMU, @ SD, both SMC, vs Santa Clara, are all listed as being on the ESPN channels.

This is a real bummer if this is true.

ZaGranny

Bolded part is my main point--looks like even those of us in Spokane viewing area will miss at least 6 games, 8 if we can't view the T-W games.

ZaGranny

willandi
10-29-2012, 06:17 PM
It does list the TV as TBA. Hope that doesn't mean YOU LOSE SUCKA"S! BUT LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY WE GOT COMIN" IN! TOO BAD NOBODY CAN SEE ANY OF THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!

madness
10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
DirecTV made an offer to TW last week but it was rejected...the good news is that they are still in talks (unlike the NHL for some of us hockey fans...Bettman...evil)

http://www.insidebayarea.com/california/ci_21870351/time-warner-cable-deal-brings-lakers-sports-channel

This article was posted two days ago.

ID ZAGFAN
10-29-2012, 06:23 PM
It does list the TV as TBA. Hope that doesn't mean YOU LOSE SUCKA"S! BUT LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY WE GOT COMIN" IN! TOO BAD NOBODY CAN SEE ANY OF THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that as the time is TBA. If there were TV it would be in the next (media) column above the radio stations.

ZaGranny

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm going to postpone worrying until further announcements are forthcoming. There's no point in getting all worked up until we know what the plan is.

willandi
10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I read that as the time is TBA. If there were TV it would be in the next (media) column above the radio stations.

ZaGranny

You're right! My bad!

Zagtana
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Zagtana, did you note that only two Gonzaga games are involved in the Time Warner deal at this point?

I have to believe that the rest of the conference games will continue to be offered on Root TV, with the Heister, Fox, Dickau team. From what I understand, Dickau just recently moved back to Spokane, presumably to resume his anchor duties, and I assume he wouldn't have done that without a deal to cover a good many games.

Thanks ZN for giving us some hope. We'll see, hope we find out soon.

jimmy b
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm going to postpone worrying until further announcements are forthcoming. There's no point in getting all worked up until we know what the plan is.

Bingo Zag Native.
I have good reason to believe that all but the 2 WCC games on the TW schedule will be available as we've grown accustomed to, and its great to have DD back imo.

Angelo Roncalli
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
This is a money grab for the WCC

I respectfully disagree. My semi-educated guess is that there's not much dinero in store for the WCC in this deal.

willandi
10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I respectfully disagree. My semi-educated guess is that there's not much dinero in store for the WCC in this deal.

So, if it's not about money, and it's not about exposure, what IS it about? At least as a semi-educated guess?
...and is there anyway the other 5 teams (the non SoCal ones) can block the deal?

Angelo Roncalli
10-29-2012, 08:15 PM
So, if it's not about money, and it's not about exposure, what IS it about? At least as a semi-educated guess?
...and is there anyway the other 5 teams (the non SoCal ones) can block the deal?

The conference owns the rights to conference games.

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 08:18 PM

IMO, its about the WCC finding alternate TV deals because ESPN and Fox usually show the biggest WCC games, hence Gonzaga or BYU.

If the WCC seeks to only add to and increase the number of televised WCC games then GRRRRREEEEAT! But if it restricts ANY of Gonzaga's TV deals, then we can see their intent.

GoZags
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Merely an observation. Doesn't Gonzaga, Portland, BYU, San Francisco, Santa Clara and St. Mary's total the number 6? And Pacific next year make 7?

willandi
10-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Merely an observation. Doesn't Gonzaga, Portland, BYU, San Francisco, Santa Clara and St. Mary's total the number 6? And Pacific next year make 7?

You're right! A heat of the moment memory lapse! Shouldn't the seven out weight the needs of the three? Especially when there is no TWC in SoCal?
The whole deal smells of rotten fish!

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
You're right! A heat of the moment memory lapse! Shouldn't the seven out weight the needs of the three? Especially when there is no TWC in SoCal?
The whole deal smells of rotten fish!

If by "rotten fish" you mean it smells like a conspiracy to restrict Gonzaga's televised games then you smell what I smell.

Kiddwell
10-29-2012, 09:07 PM
"The Game of the Week will be distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint - up to 20 million homes in all. The games will also be available to WCC fans everywhere on a digital platform."

Kiddwell's first impression is that digital platform means streaming live on the Internet. How else can it be everywhere available?

:]

Not sure if this's been linked yet:

http://www.twcsportsnet.com/sportsnet/articles/Press-releases/twcsportsnet-deal-with-wcc-102912.html

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 09:18 PM
"The Game of the Week will be distributed to television partners throughout the WCC footprint - up to 20 million homes in all. The games will also be available to WCC fans everywhere on a digital platform."

Kiddwell's first impression was that digital platform meant streaming live on the Internet. How else can it be everywhere available?

IMO, "available everywhere", doesn't mean to everyone. It means if you want to pay for it you can have it. I would love it if the WCC would set up a website, sell every WCC game like on itunes and let anyone have access to them. Archive them and get the games available and out there. I can't fathom why every Gonzaga game isn't available to those who buy access to the game tape archives.

ZagaZags
10-29-2012, 10:47 PM
ESPN will still have a ton of Gonzaga games. ( Almost 1/2 of the games )
Time Warner will have 1 game of the week ( Gonzaga 2 times )
I have a friend at Directv and told me all available games for Gonzaga will be on Root. And TWC will reach a deal with Directv. NBA is starting soon and Laker fans will want this done very soon.
Gonzaga is going to still be one of the most televised NCAA teams in America.
This is going to a good thing for the WCC and a great thing for Gonzaga.

Trust me.

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
I have a friend at Directv and told me all available games for Gonzaga will be on Root. And TWC will reach a deal with Directv. NBA is starting soon and Laker fans will want this done very soon.

Trust me.

Good. that is what I hope. Any team that is as strong as Gonzaga, VCU, Murray St, Creighton, Drexel, etc etc, is good for their entire conference in almost every way. It seems like the rich keep getting richer and that is true to a point, but a team can only have so many people and Gonzaga has lost several Div 1 starters because of bottlenecks in certain positions.

But the reality is I hope that each and every team in the WCC does well this year OOC. If they don't, they can't complain that Gonzaga or BYU or SMC gets all the publicity.

GoGU
10-30-2012, 12:41 AM
The bigger problem at stake here:

GU residence halls only have basic cable. This doesn't sound like a basic cable network to me. This sounds like digital cable. So even if Comcast picks it up, we probably can't get it in Madonna Hall.

NUTS!

P.S. Is there a possibility that KHQ could get the rights to these GU games? I know ROOT probably wouldn't like that, but is it even possible?

77Zag
10-30-2012, 07:22 AM

Trust me.

I'm trusting you ZagaZags !!

Go Zags!!

bigblahla
10-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Anybody want to drop the ZMan a line for clarification here's his email address.

jzaninovich@westcoast.org,

Go!! Zags!!!

MDABE80
10-30-2012, 09:36 AM
TV is thee biggest way to market us since we don't live in a big media city. GU will have all games shown. Administration simply wouldn't tolerate loss of "face time" nationally. Advancing into the S California/Southest region is good news...lots of people. That doesn't mean loss of TV time anywhere else.

BobZag
10-30-2012, 09:54 AM
I live in Glasgow, Scotland, now. I hope I can get games.

jazzdelmar
10-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Did u relocate to follow Rangers? Bad move, BZer. There's always Celtics. Or Hearts; now there's a great name.

jimmy b
10-30-2012, 10:09 AM
TV is thee biggest way to market us since we don't live in a big media city. GU will have all games shown. Administration simply wouldn't tolerate loss of "face time" nationally. Advancing into the S California/Southest region is good news...lots of people. That doesn't mean loss of TV time anywhere else.

Don't worry. I have it from a great source: The TW deal is just an addition, and maybe a good one for the conference and exposure.

BobZag
10-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Did u relocate to follow Rangers? Bad move, BZer. There's always Celtics. Or Hearts; now there's a great name.

Prefer Rangers, they'll climb back up, no worries. Like to drive to Chelsea games when they travel northwards. Hearts are okay. Not a Celtic fan but respect them.

sullyzag66
10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Shouldn't be a problem.

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/desulliv/Snapbucket/B5FED437.jpg

ZagaZags
10-30-2012, 01:24 PM

^^
Gonzaga will now have a few more games in the California market that would have been on ROOT Sports. ( Only in the NW or Directv sports pack subscribers )
Rex Walters is already pissed we have so many games televised. ( He calls it Gonzaga TV ) Not sure if he is talking about ROOT sports or ESPN.

GoGU
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
^^
Gonzaga will now have a few more games in the California market that would have been on ROOT Sports. ( Only in the NW or Directv sports pack subscribers )
Rex Walters is already pissed we have so many games televised. ( He calls it Gonzaga TV ) Not sure if he is talking about ROOT sports or ESPN.

Maybe someday his team will have 14 straight NCAA tournament appearances. Then ESPN will give him some attention.

Zag 77
10-30-2012, 02:15 PM
GU residence halls only have basic cable. This doesn't sound like a basic cable network to me. This sounds like digital cable. So even if Comcast picks it up, we probably can't get it in Madonna Hall.

This strikes me as an example of the age we live in.

Here is a tip. If you don't have that station, WHY DON"T YOU JUST WALK OVER TO A PLACE THAT DOES?

Good God. You can walk over to Jack & Dans or if you are under age, you can walk over to a place on Division Street. That is about 8 blocks at most. You young, able bodied youngsters ought to be able to stagger that far.

:clap:

And by the way, you punks get off my yard!!!