PDA

View Full Version : Will KO play in UT scrimmage?

Johnnygu
10-29-2012, 02:15 PM
??

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
"We're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man."

If it is a practice scrimmage, and KO can practice with the team, then he can practice with Texas because it is NOT technically an "event".

Of course Student Life may have other ideas. :)

GoGU
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
My guess is no, since it involves travel.

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 02:33 PM
My guess is no, since it involves travel.

Bingo! Nice catch. But I still would argue that unless Student Life has also banned Kelly from traveling out of state, flying on an airplane and "Practice", then he should get to go and do everything he can to help the team and himself get better while he is allowed to practice. Period.

He is allowed to practice. But it is possible that they have already ironed that trip out as part of his probation. For all I know, this scrimmage does fall under a "school sponsored event".

In which case, I want tickets.

MDABE80
10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Bingo! Nice catch. But I still would argue that unless Student Life has also banned Kelly from traveling out of state, flying on an airplane and "Practice", then he should get to go and do everything he can to help the team and himself get better while he is allowed to practice. Period.

He is allowed to practice. But it is possible that they have already ironed that trip out as part of his probation. For all I know, this scrimmage does fall under a "school sponsored event".

In which case, I want tickets.

If they ban travel...KO needs a lawyer and quick. My guess is that there are agreements in place though. In some ways this is outside the usual law. It's internal business. So be it. Doesn't matter much anyway.

willandi
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
censored!!

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Enough already with the Olynyk babble. Sheesh!

Johnnygu
10-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, now that we got the posts of speculation and ZagNative's mini tantrum out of the way, if anyone does find out if KO is going to play in the scrimmage please be sure to post.

I have no interest in Kelly's recent past, but I'm very curious to see how he performs after having a year off and I think the texas scrimmage would be an interesting barometer.

JPtheBeasta
10-30-2012, 05:51 AM
If they ban travel...KO needs a lawyer and quick. My guess is that there are agreements in place though. In some ways this is outside the usual law. It's internal business. So be it. Doesn't matter much anyway.

Don't tell the Don's board that :]

primal23
10-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Enough already with the Olynyk babble. Sheesh!

Returning player, who as the coaches said has been one of the best players in the off season, gets suspended for 3 games, a practice game and exhibition game, and no complete reason given( which is their right to do), I think is good reason for the "babble". He was one of the players I wanted to see the most, and now to have him not only miss the 3 games, and having a front line who might not be able to defend well, or rebound(not that KO solves either one of those for sure), and now a very talented but true freshman C makes me for one rather nervous.

That was more of ramble then babble I guess lol.

zag944
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Talking about it on a messageboard can have dire consequences.

CDC84
10-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Gonzaga really shouldn't need Olynyk to win its first three games at home. I know West Virginia is a power conference team, but they are picked to finish near the back end of the Big 12. Plus they will be playing a 9pm game (12am their time) in front of an extremely hostile Kennel Club. Harris, Pangos and Bell will be the best three players on the floor by a good distance. They alone should allow Gonzaga to survive any foul trouble that their bigs might encounter. Southern Utah is picked to finish second to last in the Big Sky. South Dakota State will present more of a challenge, but again, it's really a game the Zags should win at home.

I would be concerned about not having Olynyk for the Old Spice Classic, but he'll back for that. With GU playing 3 games in 4 days, they'll need him.

Robzagnut
10-30-2012, 11:13 AM
If he can't play in Kraziness, an exhibition and the first three games, why would he be allowed to play in a scrimmage? Being suspended until a certain date, is being suspended.

Johnnygu
10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
If he can't play in Kraziness, an exhibition and the first three games, why would he be allowed to play in a scrimmage? Being suspended until a certain date, is being suspended.

Because a scrimmage is a gray area between a practice and a game, and he is allowed to practice.

Johnnygu
10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Gonzaga really shouldn't need Olynyk to win its first three games at home. I know West Virginia is a power conference team, but they are picked to finish near the back end of the Big 12. Plus they will be playing a 9pm game (12am their time) in front of an extremely hostile Kennel Club. Harris, Pangos and Bell will be the best three players on the floor by a good distance. They alone should allow Gonzaga to survive any foul trouble that their bigs might encounter. Southern Utah is picked to finish second to last in the Big Sky. South Dakota State will present more of a challenge, but again, it's really a game the Zags should win at home.

I would be concerned about not having Olynyk for the Old Spice Classic, but he'll back for that. With GU playing 3 games in 4 days, they'll need him.

I think it's important to have Olynyk for every game. WV is well coached and have a lot of quality newcomers and should not be taken lightly. Also, it's likely KO will be very rusty for the Old Spice classic and won't see as many minutes as he would if he played the first three games.

This is a season, more so than other seasons, where every game counts to put ourselves in position for a #1 seed in order to make a serious attempt at a final four.

CDC84
10-30-2012, 11:34 AM
What I am saying is that the situation could be worse. Of course, I'd love to have Olynyk for every game. Especially with the way he's been practicing of late.

Johnnygu
10-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Agreed. I hope he can be one of our leaders this year(offensively, defensively, and vocally). I mean, he only averaged 3 points his freshmen year and 5 points his sophomore year so I think people are asking a lot from him this year.

Robzagnut
10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Because a scrimmage is a gray area between a practice and a game, and he is allowed to practice.

Kraziness in the Kennel is a scrimmage.

zagfan1970
10-30-2012, 04:04 PM
let's not forget what SDS did to the Huskies last year in Seattle! (92-73)

If KO was not allowed to play in a scrimmage against fellow Zags I surely doubt he would be allowed to travel to Colorado to scrimmage against Texas. Unless he was held out of the Kraziness until the had a formal penalty.

sittingon50
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Not playing the Jackrabbits.

Playing the Coyotes.

Oregonzagnut
10-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Yes, but KIK a school sponsored event that had a scrimmage inserted into it. But it had much much more, like the 3 pt competition and the speeches and all fanfare! The Texas scrimmage is not a show or an event open to the public, it is closed, no tickets or advertising. It is truly a "practice" scrimmage.

But this is just my opinion. This situation could be solved if people would be up front.

The way the mods are indiscriminately deleting things was out of hand.

I respect ALL our moderators opinions and efforts to help make this board the best in the world, but I have to disagree with deleting so many comments just to stop all conversation about Kelly.

Why demand everyone not talk about Kelly? Crazy. We are not at full strength and it will affect the team for critical games. I feel we have a right to discuss the ramifications of his absence and how it effects the rotation and match-ups that Few was planning on having. This is absolutely not babble IMO.

rijman
10-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I was very interested to know what KO did until I learned of his punishment (what else do you call it, it's not a full suspension from the team) and now it doesn't matter to me. I guess I only wondered what he did to guesstimate how severe the disciplinary action might be. Scrimmaging against Texas would be beneficial, no doubt, but KO gets to go against top level competition every day on his own team. I think KO will be fine and PK will get some extra playing time the next 3 weeks, which isn't all bad.

Stache
10-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Dickau, Ronny, Adam and sometimes Matt. When can we have a solid chat about KO's hair? Censored?

Oregonzagnut
10-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Dickau, Ronny, Adam and sometimes Matt. When can we have a solid chat about KO's hair? Censored?

Kelly definitely gets the hair award on this team. But even guys like Harris, Edi, and Karno all have a crop on top this year. Maybe Stockton will grow his out. No hair cuts till Kelly is back!!

BTW, IMO Kelly looks like "The Birdman" Chris Anderson minus all the tattoos.

Here is a photo of Chris Anderson before all the tats.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/peter_aaron/Birdman.jpg

Pargo the Destroyer
10-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Kelly definitely gets the hair award on this team. But even guys like Harris, Edi, and Karno all have a crop on top this year. Maybe Stockton will grow his out. No hair cuts till Kelly is back!!

BTW, IMO Kelly looks like "The Birdman" Chris Anderson minus all the tattoos.

Here is a photo of Chris Anderson before all the tats.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/peter_aaron/Birdman.jpg

Lets just hope the hair doesnt also come with all of Birdman's crazyness as well.

DADoZAG
10-31-2012, 09:07 AM

Was it Heister that mentioned Kelly was growing his hair to donate?

It takes a full ten inches for a donation. That's after it's trimmed to be even at the bottom and then must be cut in a pony tail fashion.
http://www.spokanecares.org/index.php?c_ref=349

Essentially hes about at the length now that his hair will be after he donates.

I honor his quest, but if he's donating, Kelly's not getting a hair cut during this season and maybe not even next (depends on how fast it grows).

Get some hair ties, son.

Go ZAGS!

rijman
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM

I heard this from a Zags fan who heard it at the exhibition game.

Johnnygu
10-31-2012, 10:35 AM

It takes a full ten inches for a donation. That's after it's trimmed to be even at the bottom and then must be cut in a pony tail fashion.
http://www.spokanecares.org/index.php?c_ref=349

Essentially hes about at the length now that his hair will be after he donates.

I honor his quest, but if he's donating, Kelly's not getting a hair cut during this season and maybe not even next (depends on how fast it grows).

Go ZAGS!

I don't know, I think you're way off on this, Kelly's hair seems like it would be ten inches in a pony tail right now. He'll probably get it cut right before he plays his first game I bet.

Johnnygu
10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Oregonzagnut thinks the way I do. The difference between UT scrimmage and Kraziness in the Kennel is public game vs private game.

A report on any part of the scrimmage would be great.

Zag4Hire
10-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Kabongo is out.

School officials have confirmed that Kabongo, who averaged 9.6 points and had a team-high 176 assists last season, has talked with NCAA investigators. The Longhorns have also taken the precaution of keeping him out of preseason scrimmages against Davidson and Gonzaga.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2012/oct/30/backcourt-problem-dogging-texas/

Oregonzagnut
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Kabongo is out.
http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2012/oct/30/backcourt-problem-dogging-texas/

Kabongo is involved with the NCAA. IMO, there is a big difference between Gonzaga Student Life and an NCAA investigation team.

nonetheless, it is between Gonzaga and Kelly. But I hope he can go.