PDA

View Full Version : Any weaknesses?

Oregonzagnut
10-28-2012, 12:30 PM
IMO, the last couple years the Zags have not had strong perimeter defense, and that cost us 1-2 wins.

How does this team look to defend the perimeter this year? I think we can confidently say that with our defense down inside is top notch, but will we see the equivalent improvements defending the 3 pt line?

Are there ANY glaring weaknesses in this squad? I am having trouble finding ANY!

Seriously.

Hogan
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Right now I would say interior defense.

willandi
10-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Student Life!

Oregonzagnut
10-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Why? By "right now" you mean because we are without Kelly?

75Zag
10-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I think it is way too early to talk about weaknesses (or strengths) in this team. Perhaps the West Virginia game will expose our strengths and weaknesses. If not, then hopefully the Old Spice will give us a clearer picture of the team.

My impression from last night was good guard play against crummy opposition, and questionable rebounding against crummy competition. But those are only fleeting thoghts, not opinions. Too early to tell.

Go Bulldogs!

zag944
10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I think we only have one big guy that can really bang around on the post, and he is only a freshmen wholl probably see less time than KO, dower, and EH.

Interior d may be generally fine, but probably not in the games where we need serious interior toughness.

Oregonzagnut
10-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I think it is way too early to talk about weaknesses (or strengths) in this team.

Too early to tell.

Envisioning and armchair coaching is part of my experience. I agree it is too early to make conclusions or determinations, but talking about it is what we do. Kinda sounds like you really don't see any weaknesses RIGHT NOW, like me.

But exhibition or not, there is a reason these exhib games are scheduled by Few, to work out the kinks. Without getting into semantics or drawing definitive conclusions, do you see any kinks?

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM

+1

titopoet
10-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Rebounding from the bigs. Right now EH and Hart are the best rebounders, Dower, and Karno have some work to do on rebounding

GZag
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I think it is way too early to talk about weaknesses (or strengths) in this team. Perhaps the West Virginia game will expose our strengths and weaknesses. If not, then hopefully the Old Spice will give us a clearer picture of the team.

My impression from last night was good guard play against crummy opposition, and questionable rebounding against crummy competition. But those are only fleeting thoghts, not opinions. Too early to tell.

Go Bulldogs!

Thank you for your perspective before I started drinking the Kool-Aid :)

Oregonzagnut
10-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Another area we need to work on as a team (not GLE or Harris yet), is finishing the shots especially the bunnies. Stockton, Draino, Dower, even Karno missed a lot of bunnies.

Last year on many fast breaks we seemed to over shoot and so IMO, we need to work on that.

1. Internal defense/rebounding
2. Finishing around the rim.

3zagda
10-30-2012, 02:05 PM
our weaknesses:
" 1. Internal defense/rebounding
2. Finishing around the rim."

As an Or. zag fan myself, I think I may be picking up what you are laying down here...
On Defense we need to be better at stopping them from scoring.
On Offense we need to be better at scoring.
And we need to rebound better.
I think this is a winning formula!
In fact I would go so far to say if we just score more points than the other team we will be fine!
LOL
Actually I am concerned about the interior defense, and the rebounding of the bigs, not named Harris. It remains to be seen if these are weaknesses.

cjm720
10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Slow starts and slow finishes.

Oregonzagnut
10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
In fact I would go so far to say if we just score more points than the other team we will be fine!
LOL
Actually I am concerned about the interior defense, and the rebounding of the bigs, not named Harris. It remains to be seen if these are weaknesses.

My definition of "weaknesses" would loosely be, things we had problems with last year and still seen in this game. This is all we have to go on, as limited as it may be. But it is the same game our coaching staff will use for analysis and to point to where we need to improve. So I use this game to gauge how our team executed on both ends of the floor. As well as how efficient we were in an uptempo offense compared to a slower "work the ball inside" type of game. AND how we defended against both styles.

"Finishing around the rim" doesn't mean scoring more from anywhere in general, it means we missed bunnies and point blank slashes to the hoop. Mark Few spoke of several players who missed shots too. He shrugged and said "But those will go in". So IMO Few is not worried, but he did note the misses. "Scoring more points than the other team" is true, but it is sarcasm. Its like saying "getting rich is easy, just get money".

As far as our internal defense. Richard Fox said we didn't allow points in the paint until about the 7 minute mark of the game! And about all NN had was outside jumpers and only 3-4 put backs where we broke down or they got great position after a rebound. Kenny Jones was shut down and he is a former UCLA Div1 player. Even their 7 footer was no match.

So although NN was a 48 pt blowout, we could see how Few might use certain rotations and how balanced we are at every position and in every area of the game. Finding a weakness is hard but it was clear that when Oly comes back, the rotations will change slightly. I can't imagine that our internal defense will allow any easy scores. If not due to height alone, it will be due to our teams ability to have fresh legs on our 7 footers for an entire game and be able to absorb it when one gets into foul trouble. When Sacre got into foul trouble, we lost that edge on both sides of the ball. With Karno, Oly and Dower, our guys can play aggressively without worrying so much about fouls.

In a nutshell as
cjm720 states: "Slow Starts and Slow finishes". Especially the finishes. But I would add that this is true regarding the entire game but also when we make individual plays. We need to commit to 40 minutes of "nasty" ball, and if we are going to run and gun in an up tempo style, then we need to commit to finishing the play strong as well. No holding back this year.

IMO, we have the horses to get to the rim, but we shouldn't change gears and pull up and take a 3 ft jumper or do a lay in. My second favorite play was Harris going end to end for the bucket. We need the confidence to commit more often to continue to power through for the high% slam dunk.

Pargo comes to mind as a guy who committed to finishing fast and strong. You could see when Pargo committed before he did it. If we put that attitude of committing to the dunk like Pargo did, we will have fewer missed bunnies. Pargo seemed to have more tomahawk dunks than Sacre did. It is the mindset as well as the athleticism.

Few stated himself, "Lets see how nasty they can be." What is nastier than a powerful, rim rocking, slam dunk? It gets the crowd going and it demoralizes our opponent. So I am going to take Fews word for it and agree with him that we need to get NASTY this year if we want that Final Four. And IMO, that means working on weak/slow finishes. On drives or in close games. Commit 100%, from start to finish.

3zagda
10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Regarding weaknesses, interior D/rebounding to me is the biggest question mark. On both counts KO, PK and SD need to prove themselves. I expect the lion share of minutes will go to the player who is the best at it. I am hoping it is KO.
Regarding slow starts, I hope our depth will help smooth that out. We have so many lights out shooters, early substitutions may lift the team out of some of those slumps.