PDA

View Full Version : Media Reports and Photos

ZagNative
10-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Jim Meehan doesn't appear to have his story up yet, but photographer Tyler Tjomsland has a brilliant photo album (http://www.spokesman.com/picture-stories/gonzaga-vs-northwest-nazarene-oct-27/?c=530835&comments=1#c530835) up already.

Guy Landry Edi is a magnet for the camera and the album includes several amazing shots of him, a number of which are mislabeled as being of Elias Harris, who he looks nothing like.

Here's a nice one of Przemek:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x1H9YbbW87k/UIy-TIVuKTI/AAAAAAABV7k/xjNK1QrIAzA/s640/2012-10-27%2520Przemek%2520Karnowski%2520NWN.jpg

And here's a nice one of Guy:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-flv3pJVtaMc/UIzEKjW37bI/AAAAAAABV70/rLsEvKOSoYA/s640/2012-10-27%2520Guy%2520Landry%2520Edi%2520NWN.jpg

Oregonzagnut
10-27-2012, 09:46 PM
The Spokesman's photo galleries are always great pics. The resolution is getting better EVERY year. These photos are exceptional!

We are living in a great time and this is our year.

BTW, Dower definitely got the block. (and Nicholes head)

ZagNative
10-27-2012, 10:14 PM
This game report from GoZags.com (http://www.gozags.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=627537&SPID=90846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205721100&DB_OEM_ID=26400) contains some tasty tidbits, and a nice pic of Guy.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/GG/GGVIVUYOPVCGTBT.20120120062355.jpg

After a somewhat sluggish start in which Gonzaga led 7-4 for 2:35 without either team scoring a point, the Bulldogs ramped up the offense and went on a 26-3 run over the next 10 minutes to end any suspense of the Crusaders coming in and pulling the upset.

Newcomer Przemek Karnowski made his Bulldog debut in impressive style, scoring 12 of his team-high 17 points in the second half and earning a place in the hearts of sold out crowd of 6,000. The 7-1, 305-pound native of Poland also added eight rebounds, one of three players with eight or more boards as the Bulldogs held a 57-35 edge on the glass.

The veterans, however, did most of the damage. Senior forward Elias Harris scored 12 points, senior Guy Landry Edi had 10 points and eight rebounds, sophomore guards Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. had 10 and 11 points, respectively and senior guard Mike Hart came off the bench with 10 points.

Junior Same Dower joined Edi, Harris, Pangos and Bell in the starting line-up and had four points and three rebounds in 17 minutes. David Stockton had a team-high five assists and six steals to offset a 1-for-8 night from the field and six points.

When walk-on guard Rem Bakamus out of Mark Morris High in Longview, Wash., got in the game and sank one of his two free throws in the waning seconds, the crowd erupted and may have found another in a line of walk-ons who have been adored by Zag Nation throughout the years.

Head coach Mark Few liked what he saw.

"I thought we gave a pretty good effort. We were a little loose and frantic with the ball early that led to a couple of turnovers and a lot of missed opportunities around the basket. Once the first group got back in there with their second run I think they did a nice job of asserting themselves on the glass defensively and getting out running and making some shots. By and large I thought everybody did a nice job. They got in there and pretty much did what we asked them to do," the 14th-year head coach said.

The Bulldogs shut down the Crusaders from the perimeter, which Few said was one of their strengths last year and something the Bulldogs wanted to focus on defensively.

"Last year this team liked to shoot a lot of threes. They didn't have any in the first half and they had two in the second half. That's what we were primarily focused on defensively. Offensively we wanted to get the ball going up and down, spread them out a little bit and make the simple play. For the most part we did that," Few said of his assessment of both ends of the court.

NNU went 2-for-15 from 3-point range and held UCLA transfer Kenny Jones to a 4-for-22 night from the field. Jordan Nicolas took game-high scoring honors with 18 points, the lone Crusader in double-digits.

In addition to Karnowski, redshirt freshman Kyle Dranginis and transfer Drew Barham got their first taste of action in a live situation. Few thought all three responded well.

"It was an interesting game for Schim (Karnowski). There were some undersized guys he had to chase around out there so that was probably a little different than he's use to. Down the stretch he settled into the post, our guys did a good job of finding him and he played to his strengths. He has great hands and is a great passer, although he didn't show that much tonight but you'll get to see that.

"Kyle was solid. That's what Kyle is. He can play a lot of the parts of the game very well. Drew, those shots will drop. He's a very, very good shooter. He missed a couple of open looks tonight but those will go," Few said of the newcomers.

Karnowski went 7-for-14 from the field and 3-for-4 from the free throw line. Dranginis had nine points and five rebounds, while Barham had three points on a 1-of-7 night from the field, including 1-of-6 from 3-point range.

Few said Bell, who played just five minutes the second half, suffered a cramp and Harris, who has been hampered most of fall camp with a groin pull, was sat down the second half just as a precaution.

"Elias just started practicing this week, so we got him for a half and shut him down. We could have put Gary back in but just decided not to," Few said.

sittingon50
10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
That pic isn't from tonight. Too lazy to figure it out but the official in the background was not working tonight.

ZagNative
10-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Jim Meehan's gamer (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/oct/27/zags-cruise-exhibition/):
Numerous Gonzaga men’s basketball players insisted throughout the preseason that if they weren’t getting the job done, another man was waiting to take their place.

In Saturday’s exhibition game, five guys were at the ready. Substituting five at a time in hockey-like fashion, the Bulldogs put six players in double figures and overwhelmed Northwest Nazarene 93-45 in front of 6,000 at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

Polish import Przemek Karnowski scored 17 points in 17 minutes in his GU debut. Elias Harris, returning from a groin injury, had 12 points while logging 13 first-half minutes. Gary Bell Jr. made three 3-pointers en route to 11 points. Guy Landry Edi, Kevin Pangos and Mike Hart each had 10 points and Kyle Dranginis finished with nine.

“I don’t know if we have a guy that can go out every night and get you 20,” head coach Mark Few said. “It comes with balance. That’s kind of how it’s been in practice, too. There are a lot of guys capable of upper double-figures scoring.

“Gary can shoot it like he did in first half, obviously we know Kevin can, we’ve all seen Sam (Dower). Elias can, we’ll get Kelly (Olynyk) back and he’ll be able to do that. Even as bad as ‘Shem’ (Karnowski) played early, he still got 17.”

Oregonzagnut
10-27-2012, 10:44 PM
That pic isn't from tonight. Too lazy to figure it out but the official in the background was not working tonight.

Maybe he got a hair-cut at halftime.

zagporvida
10-28-2012, 07:02 AM
There is also an ESPN banner in the background, you would think they would at least put up a photo from the most recent game.

bullzag23
10-28-2012, 07:17 AM

You'll notice that Edi has different haircuts in different pictures. That guy's hair must grow FAST.

ZagNative
10-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Game highlight video from GoZags.com (http://www.gozags.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&&db_oem_id=26400). Fun stuff. Don't miss it.

ZagNative
10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Jim Meehan's Day-After post (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/oct/28/day-after-northwest-nazarene/#more).

Tidbits:
Coach Mark Few likes what he sees from Harris, whose game continues to evolve.

“He only had two, three practices under his belt,” Few said. “He’s better this year. He’s worked hard on some things. I just wish and hope he’s healthy enough to show it. I don’t know how many years he’s actually been healthy through a preseason. A couple of those drives were to a side (left) he’s never driven before. That’s a big improvement.”

—I’ve mentioned that Kevin Pangos and David Stockton have added several pounds of muscle. Standing next to Guy Landry Edi in the locker room, it was apparent he put in his share of offseason time with strength and conditioning coach Travis Knight. Edi is listed at 220 pounds.

“It helped me a lot, no more injuries,” he said. “Last year, with my knee … no more problems. I stopped lifting lately.”

“He gets too big,” interjected Harris.

“I’m at 220 now and I want to drop a little. I feel much better when I’m 215 or so.”

rennis
10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Game highlight video from GoZags.com (http://www.gozags.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26400&&db_oem_id=26400). Fun stuff. Don't miss it.

Thanks!

I hope they plan on keeping names on the jerseys this year. I've never liked the numbers only approach