PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski

Reborn
10-27-2012, 06:22 PM
I was very impressed. He played so much better than Sam Dower. He is not lazy at all, and sometimes when you get these b ig guys they are lazy as Freshmen. PK was moving all the time. He ran the floor beautifully, set great pics, ran the pick and roll way better than Sam, blocked shots and plugged the middle on defense. He missed some inside shots that he will make soon. He has soft hands, and is a good foul shooter. He led the team with 17 points. He's as good as advertised, and honestly he can, and will, play twice as good as he played tonight.

CDC84
10-27-2012, 06:28 PM
I wanted to see Karno play some with Bell and Pangos to see what he can do as a passer. As Fox said during the broadcast, his passing ability might be the best part of his game right now.

I think his hand is still bothering him. He's still getting used to the speed of the game. Both factors may have led to some of those early misses.

Sam Dower, unless he starts bringing more effort on the glass and defensively, is going to be the 4th big man in this rotation. He was terrible tonight.

Oregonzagnut
10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Our entire team was impressive, but Karno especially did not disappoint. He was dominant even though a little sloppy.

Stockton, Dower/Oly, Barham, Dranginis and Hart proved that our bench will be as formidable and most Div 1 starters.

Seriously, look a that balanced 2nd team we have!

Reborn
10-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah! I think you're right CDC about his hand. I saw him look at it after he came out of the game for the last time. He was shaking it as if it hurt.

snebzag
10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I said it in G-Unit. Tonight he looked OK, by mid season he will be good. By the end of his four years here he will be great.

The next two years you will see "Stockton to Karnowski" alot. They looked locked into each other. Karno will return the favor to David a few times also.

It has begun.

Pargo the Destroyer
10-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Not ready to crown him just yet folks. He basically played against high school equivalents tonight. Him NOT doing well would be concerning.

Reborn
10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Dower played against the same guys. What did he do? You must be pretty concerned about Sam?

Pargo the Destroyer
10-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Reborn, Sam played last year and is proven. You guys are freaking out after one exhibition game. Shrek may be good. Who knows, he looked good against an overmatched team tonight. Like I said, not ready to crown him.

MDABE80
10-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Dower played against the same guys. What did he do? You must be pretty concerned about Sam?

I am VERY concerned about Sam. His casual approach to the game, being out of position, etc makes him seem listless. He need that kid full time and agressive. He won't see minutes if he doesn't get busy.

Oregonzagnut
10-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Everyone has a right to wonder where Dower was tonight. But I think he was "held out" like Elias, Bell and Karno and deliberately let others play and oftentimes it takes momentum.

An exhib against a Div 2 team isn't a very good gauge of anyones game. Only an indicator.

DCZag
10-28-2012, 05:41 AM
I was happy with PK's play down the stretch - he looked nervous in the first half. It was an exhibition - I remember a few guys who shined in the last few and aren't with the team any longer. I'm not ready to read too much into it with Sam, yet. But I was expecting better shooting from Barham.

Overall a very positive debut for PK and glad to see the team in action after a painfully long off season.

RockandRollJames
10-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I'm not concerned about Sam. He has proven to be valuable in the past and I witnessed him outplay Karnowski during Kraziness in the Kennel when they went head to head. This was one game.

VaBeachZAG
10-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Clearly, PK showed he will be a valued part of the team. He ran the floor well; however, I would like to see him quicker in the paint. My unprofessional opinion is that PK could benefit from slimming down some more to enhance his ability to move around the basket. I fear he may be a bit slow reacting to some of the quick and athletic bigs he will face in the OOC games and with Davies in the BYU matchups. For example, Davies has lightning quick moves around the basket and I question the ability of the PK I saw last night being able to stay with him on defense. I also believe Baylor brings a lot of athletic talent to the paint. Anyway, the broadcaster kept saying PK is 305 lbs. Others on this board have said he is down to about 285 lbs. Who is right?

titopoet
10-28-2012, 08:52 AM
What was most impressive about him is his Basketball IQ. He was in the right spot to make a play.

GZag
10-28-2012, 09:03 AM

Watching Sam last night reminded me of a game Sacre played against Duke. A couple of early on Ify calls against him took him out of his game. That paint was well sealed a lot of the time by our opponent. Sam did awesome on defense. He kept them away from the basket as well. I thought that defense was area to be worked on by him last year. Looks like he has been doing that. Everyone knows Sam can sink them and he will.

Not concerned. With adjustments and work on D comes more fouls. We have plenty of options and I want to see them play too.

Reborn
10-28-2012, 09:45 AM
My memory of Sam Dower is that he's really inconsistent. I didn't think he had that great of a year last year. Certainly not as good as his Freshman year. Good teams have figured him out. Did you see him setting screens? It was a joke. And he has no idea of how to pick and roll. Yeah...he can shoot. But there's a lot more to the game then that...

JPtheBeasta
10-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I like his game a lot. Few and Co do such a great job finding these guys. I sont know how he wa kept auch a secret to the other schools for so long. KarNASTY did a great job keeping the ball high, as mentioned in the broadcast. He looks nimble on his feet and has an unblockable shot. He hedged on screens and defended a guy out to the 3 point line in the corner. He got called for a foul on one occasion where he cleared out space for (I think) Pangos- when he figures out the nuances of that it will be another good weapon.

He's a true center, and I don't think Dower is. By all accounts KO is ready to bang around down there. That's all I'll say about my opinion of Sam's situation right now.

GZag
10-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Please take a chill pill Reborn. I think your negativity is a bit over the top. Sam struggled to stay out of foul trouble against a very scrappy team. Watch the game again and maybe you would be proud of the defense he played. It was very consistent.

"GU’s bench outscored Ohio State’s 10-0, led by Sam Dower’s nine points. Dower also collected six rebounds, five offensive, in 18 minutes."

Towards the end of the year last year, Sam was very consistent coming off the bench, even shooting 40 percent from three.

jim77
10-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Great debut for the big guy. I paticulary liked the play when 3 NNU defenders had him surrounded near the hoop....he pivotted around opposing the basket like he was gonna pass out of it....then quickly pivotted back around(losing 2 defenders) which then allowed him to score on the lone defender....he moves pretty good for a big guy. Smooth player.

mgadfly
10-28-2012, 12:59 PM
That was my first look at Karno and I liked what I saw. He would have been amazing in high school basketball in the United States and probably one of the top 10 "5" guys in the country in last year's class. And he is a true center unlike some of the guys.

He ran the floor well. He finished a few plays strong. He showed good positioning (on both ends) in combination with good athleticism.

But where he shined was his hands and passing. It is very nice to see a big guy catch the ball cleanly up high and keep it there for the score. He brought the ball down a few times and it cost him, but he pulled in passes (one bounce pass low that he drew a foul on) that a lot of big guys just wouldn't be able to handle.

It is easy to say that he should lose some weight and get stronger, etc... And he probably should (and will, he is only a freshman), but his condition looked solid to me and he is very skilled around the hoop. I think we have four really good big guys who will hopefully keep improving as the season progresses.

zagamatic
10-28-2012, 01:11 PM
I've rewatched the game twice. The big thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is Karno made two awesome passes from beyond the three point line to the post. One to Hart who missed, and one to Edi, who made his shot. It's one thing to do the high - lo from one post to another from the free throw line, and a completely different thing for a nervous freshman to drop a dime to a new teammate playing somewhat out of position from distance.
the other thing that really stood out was the defense played by Pangos. Was very impressed by him.

ZagMan in Philly
10-29-2012, 04:53 AM
PK is definitely not playing like a freshman. From what I can see, he is a real deal (hope to have him for at least 2 years). I thought this thread is about PK. Sam will be fine, better than fine in the next game, count on it.

gonzagabasketball
10-29-2012, 06:45 AM
The thing I like seeing, is upon receiving a pass or rebound near the basket he keeps the ball high and is putting it up quickly. Sacre always brought it low to coil for a power move, which in traffic this led to strips and blocks that otherwise shouldn't have occurred.

That was one of Sacres few weaknesses that never seemed to quite go away. While Karnowski has a way to go, this is one subtle, but important aspect he seems to possess.

hooter73
10-29-2012, 07:41 AM
The one play that I saw PK make that really impressed me was a catch in the high post and he had the patience to make a couple moves and find the right slot for a lay in. The poise to have that patience and not panic shoot or pass just caught my attention.

rijman
10-29-2012, 08:09 AM
I thought PK had a good first game. I also thought he was more athletic than I expected for a big freshman. He only racked up to 2 PF's, which was a good sign. With Dower and PK both playing 17 minutes and knowing one would foul out I would have bet house on PK. It's going to be fun watching him progress in November, especially with Kelly on the bench the 1st 3 games, he'll get a lot of PT.

Birddog
10-29-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm looking forward to PK having a Cory Violette like transformation from "chunk" to "chisel". It'll take a year or so.