PDA

View Full Version : --- GUnit of the Game--- (exhibition)

gozagswoohoo
10-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow. D2 or not, we have some BALLERS on this team!!! I am so excited.

So, so, so motha stinkin excited.

pmta

ZagNative
10-27-2012, 06:13 PM
The Fox/Heister/Dickau team gave it to Guy Landry Edi, but I'm going with the big Pole!

zagitup
10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Voted for Karno, but GLE was right there too. Wish we would have seen a little more of Bell...he was looking' REAL smooth.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
As Hester called him, I'm going with the "Big Footer."

GZag
10-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I loved watching all if them! Very excited about what I saw after the 8 minute mark.3

I give myself player of the game because I can do that, even though it is a total crazy thing to do and I sound totally nuts. Bahahah!

Really enjoyed it!

snebzag
10-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Have to give it to Karno. After Harris sat and Sudden Sam had foul trouble, he played more minutes than I think staff wanted, he looked tired, but kept going forward. He is OK now, by mid season Karno will be good. By the end of his four years here, he will be great.

My other G-Unit goes to David Stocktons Mom for the two finger whistel in the mouth after the steal and layup. Also the entire NNU team after Jones played for a steal and went out of bounds and the entire team came to help him up for his effort. Great coaching and teamwork.

gozagswoohoo
10-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I went Karnowski because after seeing him miss a couple short ones, you kinda thought to yourself 'too bad, he isn't having a great game', then you realize he put up 17 and 8 with 3 or 4 blocks, and he didn't even start!

I LOVED how quickly he would go up with the ball when he got it. No thinking, no trying to outsmart the defender, he just basically said 'screw it, I'm 7 foot tall and I am all that is man, if you can stop me straight up, good luck PUNKS!!!!'

I have missed that mentality!! Woohoo!!

GZag
10-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I went Karnowski because after seeing him miss a couple short ones, you kinda thought to yourself 'too bad, he isn't having a great game', then you realize he put up 17 and 8 with 3 or 4 blocks, and he didn't even start!

I LOVED how quickly he would go up with the ball when he got it. No thinking, no trying to outsmart the defender, he just basically said 'screw it, I'm 7 foot tall and I am all that is man, if you can stop me straight up, good luck PUNKS!!!!'

I have missed that mentality!! Woohoo!!

I don't remember a big guy having that great a game his freshmen year, even in an exhibition they seemed awkward. At first he was, but I would not expect to see that kind of improvement in a single game.

I think your choice is more sane then mine :)

Oregonzagnut
10-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Stockton got my vote simply because of his floor vision, no look passes and defensive intelligence and hustle.

If pure stats are the measure then Karno I think gets my vote with 17 pts and 8 rebs.

How did GLE get it when Karno had 7 more points and the same 8 rebounds?

MDABE80
10-27-2012, 06:42 PM
My "Sigh of Relief" award goes to Bell. Such a shooter. He'll be a lot better than last year. Defense is quicker.

But (and you won't agree with me)........Mike Hart got my "Mister Everywhere" award. He's lost more weight. Quicker now, Shot well, rebounded well and took some nice charges too. He'll compete if his shooting picks up. Love this kid.

Mantua
10-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Karnowski and thank heavens because he completes the puzzle this year. So great to see him be so determined under the rim, keep the ball up and make free throws.

zagamatic
10-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Holy shrek!

MickMick
10-27-2012, 07:57 PM
David Stockton

Defensive steals, assists, scoring, pushing the break.

This time of year you look for offensive sloppiness. None to be found from David. Well....I did see one missed long pass to Dranginis, but otherwise, no errors. None. At mid season form in an exhibition.

He is going to play a lot this year.

GZag
10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
David Stockton

This time of year you look for offensive sloppiness. None to be found from David. Well....I did see one missed long pass to Dranginis, but no other errors. None. At mid season form in an exhibition.

True, he is a great kid!

Stats are similar to dads in his college years. David is impressive in many ways

Baseline
10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I gave it to PK for his over all game. They need to work on the big guys conditioning so he can go all out all season - He will be a star.

Was inpressed with Stockton, big, stronger and better!

What caught my eye was how smooth KD was with the ball. He shows signs of having what it takes to be an exceptional ball handler. He may be the best on the team in that department.

Nevtelen
10-27-2012, 09:35 PM
David Stockton

This time of year you look for offensive sloppiness. None to be found from David. Well....I did see one missed long pass to Dranginis, but otherwise, no errors. None. At mid season form in an exhibition.

That was my thought, too. Stockton looked great out there. Hart was also fantastic and much improved.

ZagNative
10-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Box score at last, from GoZags.com:

Note Stockton's 5 assists and 6 steals:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OAtmnc46EP0/UIzH-Py3dsI/AAAAAAABV8E/j9xHDVIUbs0/s807/2012-10-27%2520Box%2520Score.jpg

2wiceright
10-27-2012, 10:58 PM
At the game it seemed between GLE and Karnowski. Karnowski could have had another 10-12 points if half of his bunnies went in. That will come with conditioning and confidence (he seemed a bit nervous to me). This kid will be our next star and someday will be a lock for the league! (IMHO)

I always thought Edi would be an X-factor this year. Tonight he was 5-8 with 8 boards and playing great D (albiet against a lesser team) and I saw a glimpse of how I hope he will play against real competition.

G-Unit to Guy until I have a chance to re-watch on TV without all the distractions....

Kiddwell
10-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Wow, Edi, Harris, Bell, Dower, Pangos, Karnivore, and Hart all shot 50% or better. (OK, Sam only shot twice, but still 1 for 2 is 50%.)

Gotta temper the excitement by remembering this was versus D2, but still awfully fun to watch. Ragged play in the first half became pretty good play in the second.

Not pleased to hear/read that KO won't be available for West Virginny. The other side of the coin on that game, however, is that we return all starters save Rob from last year's team that walloped the Mountaineers. (However, WVU's supposed to be much, much better this time round. We may get two chances to find out.)

Way to go, Guy Landry Edi! :adored:

:]

jim77
10-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Considering it was his first d1 game....the big K gets it. Also, David S has instincts like Dad...and Mike Hart was his usual "All over the court" self. It was a little ragged at first before things smoothed out. Sam should not be fouling out against NNU...especially considering the minutes he had. He'll bounce back. Overall, good effort by both teams.

Oregonzagnut
10-28-2012, 01:19 AM
David S has instincts like Dad.....

Stocktons defensive game isn't athletic or powerful. It is quick, intelligent and forward thinking. He knows what the other team is doing and breaks up their play to tap the ball out from behind and just seems to time his swipes on their dribble like his dad.

Stockton has 6 steals. 3 of them were straight up "pick offs".

I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that DS should not be a Div1 PG.

rijman
10-28-2012, 06:44 AM
I like that PK got to play as much as he did although I was surprised it was only 17 minutes, it seemed like more. If I remember correctly, he started off 3-9 shooting, so he finished 4-5 shooting on his last 5 shots. He got better and more relaxed as the game went on. He also had only 2 fouls with the same playing time as Dower who fouled out. I would have expected PK to rack up the fouls in his first game while adjusting to D1 ball. Overall, PK impressed me for his first outing.

NotoriousZ
10-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Edi got my vote! And the whole teams performance was outstanding for a first game. Bell and Pangos are in midseason form already, and I love how quickly this team can score.

Bogozags
10-28-2012, 11:08 AM
I vote for Stockton and Hart...Guy had a nice game as well as PK BUT those five assists/six steals and Harts SEVEN offensive rebounds were what impressed me.

In addition, I was also pleasantly pleased to see that SD actually used his RIGHT had on a layup from the right side, not something you would see last year.

PK played well and he has enormous potential and as the season goes on, he will play positive minutes.

We have seen video of PK in competition but not of KD and after all what I have read about him, I believe he will have a very good year as a RS Freshman as he plays both ends of the court.

I really feel our guards and front court players can compete with anyone at this point and time and IMO only our SF position has question marks...that isn't to say that Guy/Hart can't play that position. I just hope we can be consistent each game, looking for double-digits in scoring as well as 5-7 rebounds. Both play very well on the defensive end and liked how Hart took and made that open 10-12 foot jumper on the right base line.

I think this team has the most potential of any in the Few Era and our future looks so very bright...

Coptrdr
10-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Hart

Most don't even know he's out there and look at his numbers.

Baldwinzag
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Guy Landry Edi.

His improvement in all areas was immediately evident as well as significant.

He looked good. Really good.

Smooth, fast, nice moves to the hoop, natural within the flow/offense, and everything he seemed to struggle with last year -- i.e. position of on offense -- were rectified last night.

His shot is still a slow release but his ability to rebound, cut to the hoop, and stay active all over the floor was on display.

Most improved player thus far, but excited to see KO and others as well.

Karnosaurus was a very close 2nd.

JPtheBeasta
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Voted for Karno, but GLE was right there too. Wish we would have seen a little more of Bell...he was looking' REAL smooth.

Such a nice, compact, consistent shot. When he gets both feet set he is lights out. I was tempted to vote for him because he got the offense firing when he came back in. Voted Edi because of his medium to short range stuff and his efficiency.

Vanzagger
10-28-2012, 12:52 PM
nice game big fella.

Hold on to your hat. If it was me

pg........GBJ
sg........Draino
wing.....E
forward...Sam
forward...Karno
super6....Pangos
super6....KO
super6....Edi

put your ego in check. L&D=deep run

Ekrub
10-28-2012, 03:32 PM
nice game big fella.

Hold on to your hat. If it was me

pg........GBJ
sg........Draino
wing.....E
forward...Sam
forward...Karno
super6....Pangos
super6....KO
super6....Edi

put your ego in check. L&D=deep run

I thought this was a joke until I saw who posted it

Norcalzag
10-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately I did not get to see the game, so this is based largely on the box score. But I was really impressed with Mike Hart's 10 points and 9 rebounds. I always liked Hart's hard-nosed hustle but last year he couldn't or wouldn't score. I had heard that he could put the ball in the hole in practice, but come game time he just seemed afraid to shoot. If he can actually be looked to to score this season, Hart brings new value to the team.

gozagswoohoo
10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately I did not get to see the game, so this is based largely on the box score. But I was really impressed with Mike Hart's 10 points and 9 rebounds. I always liked Hart's hard-nosed hustle but last year he couldn't or wouldn't score. I had heard that he could put the ball in the hole in practice, but come game time he just seemed afraid to shoot. If he can actually be looked to to score this season, Hart brings new value to the team.

Interesting that you pick Hart, because I re-watched the game about an hour ago, and I could NOT BELIEVE how many plays Hart influenced!! He would tip the ball here or there, set a great pick that sets up a score, gets a rebound that leads to a transition bucket....OVER AND OVER I noticed a play that Hart had some sort of influence on. I was so impressed. I logged in JUST to post about Hart, and this was as good of a place as any! Hart definitely deserves to be listed as an option for GUnit, excellent game.

ZagNative
10-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Fierce character ...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qLWjrTASkQU/UI9fORa9dNI/AAAAAAABV8w/_uBZ1__k2Ck/s750/2012-10-27%2520Mike%2520Hart%2520NWN-x-001.jpg

Bogozags
10-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Interesting that you pick Hart, because I re-watched the game about an hour ago, and I could NOT BELIEVE how many plays Hart influenced!! He would tip the ball here or there, set a great pick that sets up a score, gets a rebound that leads to a transition bucket....OVER AND OVER I noticed a play that Hart had some sort of influence on. I was so impressed. I logged in JUST to post about Hart, and this was as good of a place as any! Hart definitely deserves to be listed as an option for GUnit, excellent game.

I agreed with you, which is why he was my co-pick with Mr. Stockton!

Hart is such a good player and see no reason why he shouldn't start the season at SF. Coach Few did call me and asked for my professional opinion and I told him directly, that Hart should be your starter until either Guy or KD play well enough to displace him! Coach told me he was going to work him into the starting SF position for the scrimmage w/UT. He also thought he influenced so many plays and is also a leader by example but isn't all that vocal.

I guess we will all have to wait and see but this year's Hart continues to be impressive and I remind you, he even looked at the basket shooting that uncontested jumper from the baseline...

cjm720
10-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Hart does this every year. Flat out hustler that helps win games. Loads of players though...I'd prefer him as a defensive stopper in certain situations. Give more PT to Draginis and Edi.

2wiceright
10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Hart does this every year. Flat out hustler that helps win games. Loads of players though...I'd prefer him as a defensive stopper in certain situations. Give more PT to Draginis and Edi.

Agree 100%, GLE not only hustles on D, rebounds, but has shown he can get to the hoop by slashing or his improved jump shot (especially in NN scrimmage). If Hart can put up 10 points a game, like he did in the scrimmage, along with his other attributes, then it would be tough call IMO...