PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Out Through Nov. 21

KStyles
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
According to John Blanchette (http://www.spokesman.com/staff/john-blanchette/)

http://i.imgur.com/YxsVZ.png (https://twitter.com/JPBlanchette/status/262331283563216896)

That means he'd miss the Southern Utah, West Virginia & South Dakota games, and be back for the Old Spice Classic games in Orlando.

ZagNative
10-27-2012, 03:45 PM
From Jim Meehan:

Olynyk will miss first three games
Posted by Jim Meehan
Oct. 27, 2012 4:05 p.m.

Gonzaga junior forward Kelly Olynyk will not be allowed to participate in the Bulldogs' first three regular-season games as a result of a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, the school announced Saturday.

Olynyk, who sat out Kraziness in the Kennel last Saturday and won't play in tonight's exhibition game against Northwest Nazarene, will return for the Old Spice Classic in Orlando. He'll miss games against Southern Utah, West Virginia and South Dakota.

The release didn't provide details of Olynyk's violation.

“Gonzaga's student-athletes are students first, and are required to follow all tenets of the Student Code of Conduct,” according to GU”s release. “The same rules and procedures are applied to all students in conduct and disciplinary matters.

“Consistent with university policy regarding matters involving student discipline, no further comments regarding the violation or disciplinary action will be forthcoming.”

zag944
10-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Hopefully some one on the team can make lemonade out of this situation, the way Hart did during that ridiculous suspension that got handed to GLE.

Not ideal by any means, but I think a lot of people here were expecting worse.

Oregonzagnut
10-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Hopefully some one on the team can make lemonade out of this situation, the way Hart did during that ridiculous suspension that got handed to GLE.

This is exactly what I was expecting. but it strengthens Karno's position and will give him the early edge for the precious minutes at the center spot.

gu03alum
10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
He'll practice with the team. It's good. iIsh we had him for WV though. So it goes...........

No kidding, oh well, at least it's early in the season instead of the end of the year.

zagamatic
10-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Ironically, I'm thinking. The one who will benefit most is GLE. Looks like they're gonna rotate him in the 4 spot to me. Anyone else thinking that?

rijman
10-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm thinking PK makes out, he'll play a lot more. Look at the PT PK is getting tonight, big minutes especially with Dower fouling out. PK seems to be getting better as the game goes on.

The news on KO isn't good, but at least we know where he stands and it's not worse than it is. The good news is Fox is really talking KO up, saying he is greatly improved and in for a big season.

Reborn
10-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Ok! We should all be happy now, and let this topic go. He'll be back way before many thught. Where do we play WV?

KStyles
10-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Ok! We should all be happy now, and let this topic go. He'll be back way before many thught. Where do we play WV?

K2 (and possibly a second time in the 3rd game in Orlando, but Kelly would play in that one)

willandi
10-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Gosh! I wish it was that easy! Without knowing what the offense was, we have no way of knowing whether or not the punishment fits the crime. I can speculate on what the offense was, but it's just speculation.
The question that I have is: "If a non athlete committed the same offense, what would the punishment be?"
That's why it's hard. What punishment would equal a 10% penalty on a non athlete? (3 games out of 30). I understand that Gonzaga wants athletes to be students first and athletes second, but I just don't see how you dole out the same level of punishment to a non athlete...especially when the alleged offense is unknown.
I still think that 'Student Life" is a fascist organization.

Section 116
10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Tweet from Meehan:

Jim Meehan‏@SRJimm

Prior to post-game interviews, media told that Kelly Olynyk was off limits.

LongIslandZagFan
10-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Lets just say this... we all have the final answer.

As with any student... this situation is between Student Life and the Student... period. If you did something that violated the code of conduct... I'm sure you'd be very happy that the whole process is protective of your privacy. As such, speculating, prying, outright wild-ass guesses... don't help the situation and likely hurt it... don't expect nor demand any details as you won't get them and shouldn't get them or even expect to get them... it is between KO and Student Life... period.

Be glad when Kelly is back and move on with life.

Ekrub
10-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I wish I could just forget it but I cant. The way the thing has been handled has seemed a little weird.

GoGU
10-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I wish I could just forget it but I cant. The way the thing has been handled has seemed a little weird.

It isn't weird. It's how they would handle the situation for any student, whether they're an athlete or not. Kelly's situation is protected by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which means that Gonzaga could lose all federal funding if they told us what happened.

Gonzaga has experience with this.

Gonzaga University v. Doe (http://www.splc.org/news/newsflash.asp?id=443) was one of the hallmark cases relating to FERPA. Even though Gonzaga "won" the case, you can bet that they've been extremely careful about this ever since.

We will NEVER know what happened, unless Kelly tells you himself, and I discourage you from passing along any rumors that you hear from anyone.

2wiceright
10-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm just plain happy he'll be back after 3 games. Talk about depth! How many teams in all of Div. 1 have 3 skilled centers?

I can remember previous years when towards the end of a game everyone on pins and needles as the other team is trying to get the 5th foul on Turioff, Sacre, Batista- the list goes on....I believe by mid season any one of the three could foul out and be replaced by one of two very skilled kids. What a luxury!!!

Soon this whole thing will be forgotten and who know how awesome Kelly has become. I for one am expecting to be pleasantly surprised...:drool:

ZagsGoZags
10-28-2012, 01:32 AM
I don't think it is our job to know if the punishment fits the crime.
Those whose job it is to do that, did it.
Now it is Kelly's job to decide what, if anything, he wants to tell the world.