PDA

View Full Version : "The Runner" Poll

Oregonzagnut
10-26-2012, 06:19 PM
After all the years of seeing "The Runner" and hearing "Don't wanna foul!" I have a question for the true armchair referees. I am not minimizing or trying to say we didn't deserve it. Clearly in the last 5 seconds, borderline contact should not be called. so just for fun.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

So....Did Jeremy Eaton foul by trying to punch the ball away and the refs just let it go? Can anyone here be objective enough to say it could be close because I have seen similar contact where fouls were called. Donovan wanted the call but the horn sounded.

I have always wondered if anyone else ever thought about this as Shannon goes by Eaton.

DixieZag
10-26-2012, 06:33 PM
No harm no foul.

He reached and probably interrupted the drive a tiny bit but the FLA guy clearly got by him and got his shot off.

Had he made enough body contact to throw him off the ball and no shot went up, then I would say that it should have been called.

IMHO, it all depends upon whether there was enough contact to unfairly impede the offensive guy, didn't happen - - not foul, especially at the end of the game.

duper
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
No harm no foul.

He reached and probably interrupted the drive a tiny bit but the FLA guy clearly got by him and got his shot off.

Had he made enough body contact to throw him off the ball and no shot went up, then I would say that it should have been called.

IMHO, it all depends upon whether there was enough contact to unfairly impede the offensive guy, didn't happen - - not foul, especially at the end of the game.

IMHO i saw no foul, however, I am one who believes if it is a foul in the middle of a game it should be a foul at the end of the game.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Its now officially time for the 2012 season to start

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
No.

GoGU
10-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Rampant speculation on an event that occurred in 1999. What is this board coming to?

sittingon50
10-26-2012, 09:20 PM
because Wright (?) screwed up a 2nd time. Have watched that tape dozens of times. He has a foot inbounds when he passes to Shannon. Zags ball.

Zagineer
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Sure enough, 50. If you pause the Youtube right around the 9 second mark, you can see his left foot is clearly inbounds and the ball is in flight, (eventhough the video is a little fuzzy).

Zagineer
10-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Rampant speculation on an event that occurred in 1999. What is this board coming to?

Pre-season jitter nerves. That's all. Happens every year around this time.

I have no problem with this thread. Provides a temporary distraction from the road we are about to travel.

cjm720
10-26-2012, 10:50 PM
You need to add another option...It was a "no-call."

Oregonzagnut
10-26-2012, 11:02 PM
You need to add another option...It was a "no-call."

"Let it go" does mean No-Call. IMO, if it is a no-call then there was a foul and they let 'em play.

GoGU said: Rampant speculation on an event that occurred in 1999. What is this board coming to?

Rampant speculation? Rampant? Speculation? Watch the vid. tell me what you think. This is just for fun and something different because I always thought the refs let it go. AS THEY SHOULD! Since 1999 every time I watch "The runner" I cringe at Eaton trying to poke it out.

I'm just wondering if I am the only one who cringes when Eaton made contact.

Zagineer said:Pre-season jitter nerves. That's all. Happens every year around this time.

Jitters for me isn't a thorough enough word. "Nervous gut-busting anticipation" is more like it. And yes this is a distraction. I watch "the runner" and several other of Zag highlights in the weeks leading up to our first game. Am I the only one?

GoZags
10-27-2012, 05:21 AM
There are some in Florida who continue to maintain that Casey went "over the back" on his put back game winner. But, like most others here, I think the Zags should keep the "W".

LongIslandZagFan
10-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Tried as hard as a I could to watch it objectively and determined two things....

1) Sittingon50 is right... I've never noticed it before in the million times I've seen it, but he is clearly inbounds when he makes the pass... GU ball.

2) Eaton clearly did not foul him.

Oregonzagnut
10-27-2012, 06:43 AM
There are some in Florida who continue to maintain that Casey went "over the back" on his put back game winner. But, like most others here, I think the Zags should keep the "W".

I don't remember ANY controversy surrounding the win and only positive cinderella talk and media frenzy. I had no idea some would think I was trying to taint the win or nullify the win. :mecry: Apologies to anyone who feels this way and you can delete the thread if you want.

I was just curious what others thought about Eaton's "close call" or "no-call". Anyone wanna hear my thoughts on the 2003 Arizona loss or the 2006 UCLA loss? :jk:

GoZags
10-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't remember ANY controversy surrounding the win and only positive cinderella talk and media frenzy. I had no idea some would think I was trying to taint the win or nullify the win. :mecry: Apologies to anyone who feels this way and you can delete the thread if you want.

I was just curious what others thought about Eaton's "close call" or "no-call". Anyone wanna hear my thoughts on the 2003 Arizona loss or the 2006 UCLA loss? :jk:

I didn't mean to imply there was a national outrage or hue and cry about Casey's putback. I used to get to Florida quite frequently. I had buddies give me some trash talk about the winning shot 2 seasons later at this game. (http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=2305)

Earlier this year, at The Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass one of the guys mentioned it again ..... more along the lines if the refs had called that one correctly (his opinion) then Gonzaga would have disappeared long ago. Again, simply good natured trash talk (13+ years later) probably in response to me wearing a Zags hat.

matty1090
10-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Jitters for me isn't a thorough enough word. "Nervous gut-busting anticipation" is more like it. And yes this is a distraction. I watch "the runner" and several other of Zag highlights in the weeks leading up to our first game. Am I the only one?

You are definitely not the only one, oregonzagnut. I think its healthy for fans, especially those who may have only began following the program within the last few years, to see games like the Florida one to see what it really takes to be successful in the tournament. Even looking at our best teams, or more importantly, our most hyped talent wise teams, can one honestly say that anyone of them were playing at the level that the '99 team was at? We have a long way to go to reach that level, we definitely have the talent to do it in my opinion, but unfortunately so have other teams in years past. It all depends on Few's ability to really light a spark in this team, and keep that spark going throughout the year. That is my one big complaint with Few, as great of a coach as he obviously is, I think he tends to let his players lose that hunger and drive midway throughout the year. Come tournament time, its like the NFL with the whole "any team can win on any given sunday". The hype, the 4-5 star recruits, the media coverage, all that garbage goes out the window and it all depends on how your team gels at that particular time in the season. The '99 team found that fire and kept it going, thus the success in the tournament and the years following.

ps I wish there were more games from that year online, I'd love to see us beat up Mark Mad Dog Madson.