PDA

View Full Version : ZAGS' Nonconf VS ZONA and the art of scheduling

tucsonzag
10-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Sean Miller taking Arizona back a few steps? - http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/arizona-basketball-nonconference-slate-undergoes-change/article_2d67480b-8f48-53f1-a9ab-d7d427910eca.html

Their board's reaction - http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=122314

Even with that Elite 8 run in 2011, is there wisdom in Miller pulling back the throttle this much given their history and the fans' expectations? 25 years straight in the tourney and Miller's already failed to get them there twice in 3 years. Guess time will tell and obviously they're not suffering from any failure to attract talent there.

So great GU's competition's has a pulse in November and December. :clap: Love our schedule this year! And not nearly as brutal as it's had to be in years past. Michigan State last year was a watershed event. Convincing teams of that caliber (Baylor, Illinois) to play in The Kennel is so huge. Can't wait to see our first "real" glimpse of the team TOMORROW!!!!

As things start to really shape up, how do you feel about GU's overall schedule this year?

bartruff1
10-26-2012, 05:42 AM
Miller is a ###### canoe, always has been a advocate of " gangsta basketball "..... zip them up.....

CDC84
10-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I wish Gonzaga were playing at least one if not two preseason top 15 teams, but the GU schedulers got stuck with a year where they add to finish out a number of series contracts. If this were a normal year, the road game at Oklahoma State might be a neutral court game vs. Louisville or Ohio State. I mean, the Oklahoma State game is going to be really tough, but it doesn't carry the same level of weight as playing a team that's destined for a top 8 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Arizona under Lute Olson always scheduled tough for a BCS level team, so I can understand some of their fans being concerned about the schedule. The main problem with not scheduling tough is that the Pac 12 is still on the mend.

75Zag
10-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I wish Gonzaga were playing at least one if not two preseason top 15 teams, but the GU schedulers got stuck with a year where they add to finish out a number of series contracts. If this were a normal year, the road game at Oklahoma State might be a neutral court game vs. Louisville or Ohio State. I mean, the Oklahoma State game is going to be really tough, but it doesn't carry the same level of weight as playing a team that's destined for a top 8 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Arizona under Lute Olson always scheduled tough for a BCS level team, so I can understand some of their fans being concerned about the schedule. The main problem with not scheduling tough is that the Pac 12 is still on the mend.

I agree with your thoughts and analysis, but just for the sake of argument, if GU really wanted to add some top 15 opponents, why could they not have done so instead of playing South Dakota on 11/18 or Lewis & Clark State College on 11/29 or Campbell University (is that where they make the soup??) on 12/19.

Seems like if Few had REALLY, REALLY wanted to expose GU's players to top 15 caliber competition in the OOC there might have been some opportunities. But maybe not.

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
I agree with your thoughts and analysis, but just for the sake of argument, if GU really wanted to add some top 15 opponents, why could they not have done so instead of playing South Dakota on 11/18 or Lewis & Clark State College on 11/29 or Campbell University (is that where they make the soup??) on 12/19.

Every college basketball team needs to have a certain amount of “guaranteed” wins on its non-league schedule. Teams need to have a chance to work on things, implement new plays, rest starters (but keep them sharp) and get more PT for its key bench players. The guaranteed wins also serve as a chance to restore team confidence after a loss or after a series of losses. While teams like Oklahoma State and Butler don’t carry the same weight this season as Ohio State and Louisville, they are very much tough games that Gonzaga can’t count on winning. They will have to play their best players most of the time, etc. Although there are no true heavyweights on the schedule, Gonzaga still needs to play some easier teams outside of conference. It would be insane to follow the WSU, Illinois and Kansas State games with a game at Ohio State. The team needs a break at some point, so they scheduled Campbell before the Baylor game.

Regarding Campbell.....there are certain periods in the non-conference schedules of BCS teams where they just won't play heavy hitter teams and will certainly play no one on the road. December 19 is such a time. Right after finals week and right before Christmas break. Look at the schedules around December 19: Louisville plays Florida International at home. Ohio State plays Winthrop at home. Michigan plays Eastern Michigan at home. Florida plays Southeastern Louisiana at home. It's a time period for guaranteed games.

roxdoc
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the insite CDC - and examples - makes sense to me.