10-20-2012, 03:04 PM
No Kelly o at introductions? Not on the floor

Blitzing-Zag
10-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Was wondering the same thing.

DagsZags
10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
@SRJimm

"Junior forward Kelly Olynyk not introduced at the Kennel. Sources indicate he has an unresolved issue with Student Life."

Zerogame
10-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Where is Kelly? I don' see him at the game.

zagamatic
10-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Should we take a "student life" issue to mean academics?

KStyles
10-20-2012, 04:31 PM

I'd guess the opposite, usually they say academic issue if it is an academic issue.

"The Division of Student Life is proud to offer numerous opportunities to Gonzaga students outside of the classroom."

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student+Life/default.asp

Zag@LMU
10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Don't want to raise any red flags or set off any alarms, but KO isn't even in the preseason program under the team roster. Hopefully there's nothing unannounced that has yet to come out.

Edit: never mind found him.

Bogozags
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I see all kinds of thoughts roaming around regarding his absence, which I hope is not permanent!

Is a prayer to St. Anthony appropriate? If not him then which saint?

ZagNative
10-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I see all kinds of thoughts roaming around regarding his absence, which I hope is not permanent!

Is a prayer to St. Anthony appropriate? If not him then which saint?
:D

Shanachie
10-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Can't be much . VERY nice kid. VERY well raised. If it was a big deal, he'd be dismissed.

I hope you have inside information that leads to your optimism. Care to elaborate?

"Unresolved issue with Student Life" sounds to me like a situation where due process has yet to play out. Without knowing what the issue is, it's hard to say if it's a big deal or not until the "unresolved" issue is "resolved" in some way.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I had to listen to the festivities on the radio with Tom and Matt. They mentioned KO at the end of the broadcast and the "Student Life" issue without getting into any specifics of course. I could be wrong but the impression I got was it most likely will be resolved and KO will be contributing this year. I don't have an exact quote but the words gave that impression to me.

Coach Lloyd after the game seemed optimistic about EH returning for the exhibition. We shall see! Hopefully our trainer Jennifer Nyland is working her magic!

If anyone listened let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Val

Oregonzagnut
10-20-2012, 06:28 PM
They have all the off season and summer to get injured, not study, and party. Why does this stuff happen the night before the season officially starts? Are they trying to kill me?

I'm trying not to worry just for Val, but this last minute injury and disciplinary stuff, is for the birds.

bartruff1
10-20-2012, 07:25 PM
This doesn't sound good to me at all.

I don't have any idea what this Student Life thing is even after I read the link.

Why wasn't "it" resolved pronto ?

If it was serious enough to keep him off the floor that sounds serious.

I know "Boys will be Boys" but they need to be boys in the off season or be better at not getting caught.

I was/am thinking he was a key to the season.

Worry...worry.....worry....

RenoZag
10-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Does this thread need any more speculation ?

bartruff1
10-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Does this thread need any more speculation ? It needs some facts...or some answers....

CDC84
10-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Whatever it is, I can just about guarantee it's not academics. Kelly is one of the best students this program has had in the last decade.

GoGU
10-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm currently a GU student, and last year I had to deal with the Office of Student Life after an incident involving me having too much fun (and being stupid) on a Friday night. I got the disciplinary equivalent of a slap on the wrist ($50 fine and four hours of mandatory alcohol education classes). It happens to students all the time.

"Student Life" issues can refer to any conduct issue, so I don't know if that's the case with Kelly (especially because he lives off campus and is over 21) but it is most likely that this is a minor incident and we will see him back on the court soon. It likely has no reflection on his character. I seriously doubt we're talking about another Heytvelt here.

Nevtelen
10-20-2012, 08:36 PM

I would think that it does, but that is really just a guess on my part.

Zag 77
10-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I had heard something back on Oct. 2 and posted a question.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=41219

I did not want to come right out and ask, so I just asked a really open ended question. I guess my source knew something after all. Whatever it is with KO, it has been going on since the beginning of October.

This might be one of the best kept secrets in the 125 year history of GU.

He is in the group photo on the team poster schedule. Looks like he is going with the Christian Laettner hairdo and headband.

MDABE80
10-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Good enough Bart? And you others?????

October 20, 2012 in SportsZags put on good show at ‘Kraziness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Junior forward Kelly Olynyk wasn’t at the event as a result of an unresolved issue overseen by Student Life, according to a Gonzaga release. No other details were available. The release noted that GU anticipates the matter will be resolved “in the near future.” Olynyk has been practicing with the team.

“Kelly is going through the same process to which all students are subject when there is a matter under the purview of Student Life, and we support that process,” Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth said. “Kelly is cooperating fully.”

GoGU
10-20-2012, 08:48 PM
If this has really been going on since early October, it makes me much more concerned than my post above would indicate. It means that it hasn't been resolved yet and that often indicates a more serious issue. PURE SPECULATION ON MY PART BUT STILL WORRIED.

However, if they indicated that it will be resolved soon, then hopefully we'll see him back soon.

TheZagPhish
10-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I would think that it does, but that is really just a guess on my part.

Rep.

It's all a ploy to keep KO under wraps until a spectacular and unexpected debut later.

Zag 77
10-20-2012, 09:06 PM
He lives in a house with some of the other players

GoGU
10-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Surprised our friends at Dons Central haven't run with this yet...

Vanzagger
10-20-2012, 10:27 PM
nothing a red shirt season wont cure.

Ekrub
10-20-2012, 11:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Junior forward Kelly Olynyk wasn’t at the event as a result of an unresolved issue overseen by Student Life, according to a Gonzaga release. No other details were available. The release noted that GU anticipates the matter will be resolved “in the near future.” Olynyk has been practicing with the team.

“Kelly is going through the same process to which all students are subject when there is a matter under the purview of Student Life, and we support that process,” Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth said. “Kelly is cooperating fully.”

Obviously not a good enough explanation, which is why everybody is speculating.

Rangerzag
10-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Here ya go. This is 100% speculation.

He'll be fine. Book it.

With the benefit of Abe's inside information:

KO obviously has an overdue library book. Insider scoop is that Kelly expects to find the book any day and is balking at paying the full replacement cost ;^)

jim77
10-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Hope he gets it resolved ASAP...love his game. The Zags need him.

bartruff1
10-21-2012, 04:36 AM
I would think that it does, but that is really just a guess on my part....You might be right, but who knows... hummm

Baldwinzag
10-21-2012, 04:52 AM
KO not even in attendance, nor introduced as a team member.

Not allowed in his own gym amongst his teammates, peers, and community for a once-a-year event rallying all of Zag nation.

Just coming off RS season, in the midst of battling for valuable PT/rotation spot with Dower, Karnowski, Harris, et al.

Can you imagine what Kelly must be going through?

His teammates & friends return home talking about the excitement of it all, kicking off the season, the atmosphere, Dower leading scorer, etc.

Ouch. Talk about a punishment from last night alone.

Hope "it" is resolved sooner than later.

:(

bartruff1
10-21-2012, 05:26 AM

“Kelly is going through the same process to which all students are subject when there is a matter under the purview of Student Life, and we support that process,” Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth said. “Kelly is cooperating fully.” Always fair minded and objective. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Willing to wait until the responsible people complete their investigation and determine the facts before you pass any sort of judgement.

Not like you to speculate in any cynical or unfair manner... What a guy... love bart

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-21-2012, 05:39 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I spent a lot of time in Crimont Hall during my senior year at a time when I lived off-campus with a bunch of other seniors.

Bogozags
10-21-2012, 06:29 AM

Then it's safe to say the issue isn't about not him making his bed every morning...

JPtheBeasta
10-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Always fair minded and objective. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Willing to wait until the responsible people complete their investigation and determine the facts before you pass any sort of judgement.

Not like you to speculate in any cynical or unfair manner... What a guy... love bart

Too funny :) It's nice to have the same dog in the hunt. I'm waiting for Few's rose garden speech before I make my final decision.

Im thankful eight that at least there hasn't been a Cheney police report.

snebzag
10-21-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm think I will listen to Abe, not worry about it, and go back to bed.

Zagluv95
10-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Yesterday Few emphasized the fact that the team had high character and pointed it out twice or three times...wondering if he was saying something without saying something. With that being said, Coleman is gonna be a treat to watch next year. Was extremely quick!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-21-2012, 09:02 AM
I had heard something back on Oct. 2 and posted a question.

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=41219

I did not want to come right out and ask, so I just asked a really open ended question. I guess my source knew something after all. Whatever it is with KO, it has been going on since the beginning of October.

No offense, but you were asking about an injury. This isn't an injury.

My son is a student at GU. Rumor of some kind of injury. That is all that I know.

Oregonzagnut
10-21-2012, 09:51 AM
No offense, but you were asking about an injury. This isn't an injury.

IMO, his thread was claiming transfer issues AND injury issues. That thread was grasping at anything. So to point back to that thread isn't even appropriate. I don't think anything in that thread concerns this issue.

IMO, this is a social or academic issue. Not serious, but rules are rules. If he is on probation that could effect his extra-curricular activities.

tobizag
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
i'll add my two cents to the speculation, if for no other reason than sheer boredom.

but seriously, in my 4 years on campus there were quite a fair amount of "student life issues" involving members of the MBB team...and i can't' remember a single one ever affecting participation. we're talking fights at parties, alcohol violations, issues related to missing class/assignments due to travel, etc.

i remember 1 incident that had implications for player activity, and i'm really hoping this isn't anywhere near the problem that was. if i had to money on it, i'd say kelly isn't in any kind of hot water like josh and theo were, but that it's more serious than many are suggesting.

but what do i know...as my wife just pointed out (fellow alum), student life may just be more strict post-cheneygate.

ZagHouse
10-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Aside from a wildly speculative post that was promptly removed the other day--the news about Kelly has been oddly quiet. Any word on if he'll be on the roster for the exhibition game or when student services will have all of this resolved? He is a big piece to the puzzle this year and the longer it takes for him to suit up--just makes more that much more anxious. Although, it's not too different than the feelings of anxiety I always experience this time of year.

Baldwinzag
10-24-2012, 08:52 AM
just spoke w/my buddy yesterday and following our brief discussion, I'd be *shocked* if Kelly is in attendance as early at this Saturday...of course I'd be pleasantly surprised to see him on the court again and playing ball with his teammates.

fwiw, he is practicing with the team, so hopefully, its just a matter of time.

I'll follow Mr. Roth's lead on this and keep crossing my fingers that it will, indeed, "be resolved soon".

Not sure if Student Life shares the same sentiment, but we'll see.

MBZags
10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
In my experience with Student Life, they tend to draw out the process a lot longer than necessary IMO.

75Zag
10-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Want to hear my "Student Life" story?

In 1971 or 1972 (sorry, memory failure) we had huge weekly all GU keggers in the basement of Catherine - Monica. I might have been the instigator - or not. In any event, at that time, the policy of GU was to "tolerate" all-age keggers so long as a non-alcoholic beverage was also available. Fr. Tony was Dean of Student Life and he confronted me one weekend in the basement as to whether the Catherine-Monica keggers were offering the non-alcohol option. So - in a move that predicted my future career as a reader and writer of fine print - I pulled out a package of Koolaid, put the stopper in the Laundry Sink, turned on the faucet, sprinkled in the Koolaid, and said - "here is our non-alcoholic beverage, please help yourself."

Fr. Tony backed off and we had a pretty friendly relationship after that, except for one or two times when the Roncalli men needed me to defend their honor.

Ah, Memory Lane.

Go Bulldogs!

Just_An_Old_Zag
10-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Although I am sad to hear of Mr. O's mmm troubles...I am gladdened to know that Athletes are still being held accountable as students...

One of my worries is that in the era of our Basketball Transcendence, is that Basketball Money and Fame will stir the drink and that which makes GU special might take a backseat.

Now having said that, Student Life needs to defecate or get off the throne so we know if Kelly is with us or we stand without him...

Birddog
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
I find it ironic that "Student Life" is the name for the body that sits in judgement for students caught engaging in "student life".

Sarenyon
10-24-2012, 11:15 AM
I find it ironic that "Student Life" is the name for the body that sits in judgement for students caught engaging in "student life".

If I could give Rep, this post would get it. +1,000!

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM

They also have a subcommittee called "Beer Bong."

gbnyba17
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
As one poster mentioned, the longer this thing is drawn out the more anxious i get and the more i think its a big deal.. had it been something minor ala trouble at a party, fight, etc. I would think it would already be resolved. Keeping my fingers crossed, as kelly is a BIG piece of the puzzle. We legitimately drop to a 3 man rotation of bigs if were without kelly, with one of them being a true frosh. Where are u spangler!? Come back kelly, and come back soon!!!

john montana
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Makes me nervous!

MTZag03
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
As for the student life organization standing in judgment of students engaged in student life, here are my two experiences although I doubt they have anything in common with KO:

Alcohol write up freshman year, had to go to class the next weeked. Resolved in 1 week.

Alcohol write up while on a sports team (The entire team was involved): Took 2-3 weeks. Athletic director spoke to the whole team, coach got involved, campus security got involved. No alcohol classes for us.

GoGU
10-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I already wrote about my experience with student life in the other thread, so I won't do it again here. It was a minor violation, in which Student Life "leadership" didn't get involved. I was involved in a rather "routine" incident, and I dealt with the Residence Life staff instead.

For Gonzaga students, the Student Life department holds a special place in our hearts. Student Life's job is to help students navigate through college and make it the best possible experience for them. My campus job is in a department that is a subdivision of Student Life. I live in a campus residence hall, which is overseen by Residence Life, a subdivision of Student Life. Kennel Club? A sub-sub-division of Student Life. Almost everything I do on campus (besides actually attending classes) has something to do with Student Life. However, most students' only direct experience of the Student Life office happens when they are in trouble. As such, it has something of a negative reputation when mentioned among current students.

Unfortunately, the days of sanctioned all-age keggers in CM are long gone at GU (sorry 75Zag). I honestly wish we could get away with some of the stuff that you guys got away with back in the day. The university is very much concerned with protecting Gonzaga's image as a top-notch academic, religious institution. In my opinion, Student Life is often just as concerned with protecting the reputation of the university as they are with helping the students. That's not necessarily a bad thing in this case, especially considering that we're talking about a highly visible member of our community. If Kelly made a mistake, he needs to set it right. I am definitely in support of holding our students (including student-athletes) accountable. I know nothing about the situation, and I can only hope it is a minor incident. However, I hope that the response is warranted by the alleged offense, and not simply motivated by the administration's PR concerns.

Oregonzagnut
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
After my 3rd run in with campus security during my first semester, I thought my dorm room was an Amsterdam youth hostel and my mid term GPA was a 1.2. I got the "last chance" speech from everyone in student life and John Balog was my new best friend.

Here is the Gonzaga Student Life Handbook and conduct guide.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/student+life/Student-Handbook-Security-Guide/11-12-handbook-files/165-171GUStudentHandbookFINAL2011-12StudentConductandDisciplinarySystem.pdf

Anyway, everyone at Gonzaga wants to help and they gave me many chances to straighten up before I got the ultimatum. KO's issue is private and isn't academic IMO. Otherwise, it would be rumorville on campus and we would hear about some party gone wild. If I were to speculate, I would be attacked for speculating, so I will stay silent. But if I had to put money on it, I'd bet on one thing.

Birddog
10-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Well the incident apparently didn't make the police blotter so how bad can it be?
I suspect Abe is right about this. What was it Shakespeare wrote in that play?

gozagswoohoo
10-24-2012, 09:09 PM
What was it Shakespeare wrote in that play?

E tu Brute? (or something like that)

bartruff1
10-24-2012, 11:19 PM
No one like a snitch...

GU69
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
fwiw, he is practicing with the team

Well, this is encouraging because it suggests that whatever the problem is, it has not affected his relationships with the coaching staff and his teammates.

When did Student Life start, and what prompted it? There was no such organization when I was a student and I still don't fully understand it. Who is on the organization and how are they selected? What is its purpose, and who or what does it report to?

GoZags
10-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Well, this is encouraging because it suggests that whatever the problem is, it has not affected his relationships with the coaching staff and his teammates.

When did Student Life start, and what prompted it? There was no such organization when I was a student and I still don't fully understand it. Who is on the organization and how are they selected? What is its purpose, and who or what does it report to?

Found by googling these 4 words -- Gonzaga University Student Life (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student+Life/default.asp)

The VP of Student Life (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student+Life/Student-Life-Office/VP-Student-Life.asp) reports to the President of Gonzaga University (https://www.gonzaga.edu/about/mcculloh/default.asp)

willandi
10-25-2012, 12:08 AM
They sound like (to an outsider) that they are the "Get a life" police! Whenever somebody tries to get a life, they step in and put the kibosh on it.

But seriously, I wonder if the reason that we know so little (read nothing) about KO's dilemna, is that KO would like it kept quiet, or Student Life has decreed that it must be hushed up. If the latter, what kind of threat would have been made to enforce such heavy-handed handling of the situation. It must be the first, but hard to imagine what could be so nefarious that KO wouldn't want it known.

It must have something to do with the Bow Ties!

RenoZag
10-25-2012, 12:18 AM
But seriously, I wonder if the reason that we know so little (read nothing) about KO's dilemna, is that KO would like it kept quiet, or Student Life has decreed that it must be hushed up.

I have a wild guess: Maybe the matter is between KO and the university and release of any info would violate his privacy ?

gozagswoohoo
10-25-2012, 12:23 AM
My best guess is MURDER.

Should be back with the team soon.

gozagswoohoo
10-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Per the Student Life handbook:

"Section A, article 4: Don't murder people."

GoZags
10-25-2012, 12:35 AM
My belief is that we will never know what happened. My guess is it was a transgression of something that appears in here. (http://www.gonzaga.edu/Student+Life/Student-Handbook-Security-Guide/files/2012-2013-Student-Handbook-MASTER.pdf)

I am glad that Kelly is part of the team, and I am glad that whatever the transgression was, that it isn't in the public domain (i.e. Police Blotter, Court Records, etc).

I will also say that any and all future speculation, musings and "what if he did this ...." etc. will be immediately deleted by a Mod or Admin. WooHoo got the last word in on a "speculative" nature.

Angelo Roncalli
10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I have a wild guess: Maybe the matter is between KO and the university and release of any info would violate his privacy ?

Ding, ding, ding.

FERPA

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/students.html

LongIslandZagFan
10-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Because speculation into private matters between the school and the student are not helpful in any way, shape, or form to Kelly, the university, or the program. As GZ said, it'd be best if we just refrain... If we can't... Consider any thread on the subject to be open for locking or deletion.

kitzbuel
10-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Per the Student Life handbook:

"Section A, article 4: Don't murder people."

Or goats.