PDA

View Full Version : Who is the villain on this year's team?

Zagquette
10-24-2012, 02:01 AM
In preparing for the season, I was watching some old GU vs SMC rivalry games. There have been some pretty great characters over the past several years.

But, I got to thinking, who is villain on this year's Zags team?

Who is the player that gets under the other team's skin? Who is the player that opposing fans love to hate?

Last year, Sacre pretty much had that role locked down. And, of course, Morrison is the all time zag villan.

From what I have seen, Pangos has some cockiness and swagger that could bring on the boos from opposing fans. Dower might also be a candidate.

Thoughts....

kyle dixon
10-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Sorenson!!!!

zaguarxj
10-24-2012, 02:32 AM
If the refs stop calling the Euro-Shuffle, opposing fans might get pretty frustrated with Elias.

ZAGGED OUT
10-24-2012, 02:35 AM
If the refs stop calling the Euro-Shuffle, opposing fans might get pretty frustrated with Elias.

Agreed. Gotta think it's Harris all the way.

gozagswoohoo
10-24-2012, 02:37 AM
I gotta say Kevin, Brings the Pain, Gos

He has a lightning quick trigger, opponents will be right in his grill and POP. Trey banger all up in ya grilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllll.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Harris. He has an edge to him that other teams don't/won't like.

PK will also draw some heckling, but it won't be as a villain.

Baldwinzag
10-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Now that Dower is down for major minutes and primary rotation(possible starter), he'll be the guy. Hands down.

He'll also be the tip-off man, which I was shocked no one mentioned in a previous thread.

When Sam was in HS, I attended at least 10-12 of his games and you should have seen the antics he pulled to taunt the opposing crowd -- and players.

Now, it often went unnoticed and never in a unclassy manner, but the points, gestures, signs, and trash talk was infamous in inner-bball circles in MN.

So much so, his Coach pulled him on many occasions following a swat or 3pt shot, b/c he featured a trademarked "sign" after each prime-time play.

He was very active and well-liked by teammates, coaches, etc, just as he is now, but Sam was the TARGET because of the attention he naturally caused from his skillset, but also from including the crowd too much for comfort at that time.

I know Sam has matured and has since toned it down, but I bet its still in him.

It was just a season ago when Sam nailed a 3pt shoot, made a telescoping gesture with is hand, looked throw his "telescopic" and pointed towards the KC -- Coach Few immediately pulled him and he subsequently sat on the bench the rest of the half.

He is a quietly emotional guy and I just have a feeling he'll draw the attention as he did when he was 'the guy'. Just watch for it...its always made me smile, and fans alike, but I bet the opposing crowds, fans, players are going to experience a whole new Sam Dower this season.

zag944
10-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Without knowing much about our new guys, I dont think any of our players this year are big trash talkers, crafty floppers, or especially animated personalities. So no real villians in my mind.

Stockton is always picked on by opposing crowds. And hopefully Kelly hasnt given opposing crowds any ammo. Other than that, theyll probably just pick on whoever has the worst haircut/general apperence.

sittingon50
10-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Rem.

jazzdelmar
10-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Lets hope it's Pangos. It could never be Bell, he is the kind of player every fan appreciates and wd like on their team. Harris maybe but he implodes too much. Dower doesn't seem hate able.

Malastein
10-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Olynyk is gritty and scrappy, and I think his hustle plays will bother people.

rennis
10-24-2012, 04:02 AM
I'm going with NOBODY. Which is a good and bad thing.

Opposing fans will probably dislike Pangos and Harris the most. We don't have a prototype villian on this team though.

DixieZag
10-24-2012, 04:07 AM
I can't believe that nobody is mention Karno. It has nothing to do with the fact that all evidence shows that he is a humble, hard working, good guy (that doesn't matter one bit) - - but he is WELL over 7 feet tall and no bean pole either, guys that big ALWAYS stand out and always draw the ire of opposing team's fans.

Of course, he will also be a frosh and an unknown this year but, still.

I also think Pangos has everything an opponent can hate, can drop 4 3pters in 4 minutes, drive the lane and make people look silly, good looking (I am told. . and told. . and told by a certain spouse of mine) and just so gosh darn earnest. What's not to hate by an opponent.

We have REAL reasons to hate the mouthpiece at SMC. He is just way better at basketball than necessary, maddenly so. Plus, he is as ugly as Pangos is handsome. (Or so I am told. . and told. . and told by a certain spouse of mine.)

Zaglaw
10-24-2012, 04:16 AM
Whether or not he plays much, it will be Stockton. Remember "who's your daddy?" He will be the villain to other teams just because of that.

Oregonzagnut
10-24-2012, 04:56 AM
so it is tough to spell that out before any games even play. It is kinda like asking "Who will be our emotional leader?" since Sacre was that as well. Maybe those things go hand in hand, especially when you are an All WCC senior. Our team is so balanced, when we start winning and teams start chanting their insults, we will know the answer.

Personally, it is good no one has the limelight in that sense. Bell is the opposite, he is so quiet, the element of mystery is what Few likes and recruits.

Few is the master at the poker face and is an emotionless figure that is nearly impossible to read. i don't even think he tries, it is just his nature. If our team develops like Few and Bell, no one will know what the heck is going on.

But if I had to guess, it will be a senior who has a long history with our opponents, so that points to Harris.

willandi
10-24-2012, 04:57 AM
No Brainer! It's Few! The other teams may hate a player or two, but nobody brings out the animosity that Coach does!.....and I'm a big Few fan!

75Zag
10-24-2012, 05:03 AM
If he wants to, Harris could have a spectacular "in your face" season. And it might help his draft chances, as I don't think NBA teams or NBA fans are very interested in choir boys. Nasty winners is what the NBA is all about.

Reggie Evans is my hero.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1232353-power-ranking-the-15-nastiest-players-in-the-nba/page/14

Go Bulldogs!