PDA

View Full Version : When Will We Know?

75Zag
10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
In past years I have been able to identify an early season OOC game or two that I used to predict how good (or not good) the GU team was going to be. This year I am having trouble identifying which game that might be. W. Virginia early is a possibility but I am skeptical. K. State at the BIS is another possibility. The Old Spice (or Old Mice as my wife refers to their scent) is another possibity.

Come April, if you are the coach of UNC or Duke or Kansas or Missouri or KY, please fill in this blank: Yikes, we need to be careful of Gonzaga because they beat _____________ in their OOC schedule.

Please fill in the blank. I can't.

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
W.V is our first hurdle. K.S. is our second major hurdle, but Baylor is our peak.

so "
Yikes, we need to be careful of Gonzaga because they beat BAYLOR in their OOC schedule.

If Baylor is ranked in the Top 25 when we beat them, it will solidify us in the top 10, if we are undefeated. Knock on wood.

January 1st New Years 2013 and Gonzaga will be in the Top 10!! Book it!

sittingon50
10-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Oklahoma, Davidson or WVU could all take out the Zags at the Old Spice.

MaroonZag22
10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Come April, if you are the coach of UNC or Duke or Kansas or Missouri or KY, please fill in this blank: Yikes, we need to be careful of Gonzaga because they beat EVERYONE in their OOC schedule.

Just my thought.

madness
10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Reading the Big 12 Preview on ESPN this week, I was astounded to see Baylor has two of the top five incoming freshman.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8516688/big-12-top-five-incoming-freshmen-2013-recruits

An elite Center and PF, paired with an already dangerous backcourt (Jackson/Heslip) and a super athletic/deep roster, yes Baylor is our top opponent in the nonconference this year. Baylor also has a really good schedule outside of the Big12, highlighted by playing at Kentucky and BYU, Boston College, and Northwestern at home.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/239/baylor-bears

WVU is def. a darkhorse also out of the Big12. A couple big wins (Michigan/Kansas/Baylor) and they are a top ten team as well.

Overall, the Big12 will be strong, and the Zags could play 5 teams (with OK), which should help overall RPI alot.

bartruff1
10-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Old Spice

willandi
10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Oklahoma, Davidson or WVU could all take out the Zags at the Old Spice.

If there's no curfew, I'm sure the Zags would have no trouble finding people to take them out at the Old Lice Tourney!

zagamatic
10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I watched an interview with Kansas head coach, Bill Self, who said he thought Oklahoma State had a pretty good shot at winning the Big 12 this year.of course, this was about a month or more ago and well before practices began so take it for what it's worth.

ZagsGoZags
10-23-2012, 08:48 PM
WVU is probably nursing a grudge and
has vengeance on their minds

we can use all the tough and nasty possible

DixieZag
10-24-2012, 03:57 AM
I think winning a strong early season tournament is a feather in anyone's cap and will instantly earn respect.

Not saying that we can bank on winning it, but I like our chances.

Baldwinzag
10-24-2012, 06:04 AM
Game 1.

Huggy Bear & Co are a Top-15 squad this year, imo.

Vastly improved over last season's team, as was stated by Huggins and Players alike -- two Top-40 player transfers eligible, elite Freshman, 4* players off IR/RS, plus 3 starters return. A very good, albeit underrated team in the Mountaineers.

bartruff1
10-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Big wins at home (or close losses) IMHO distort how good your team is.. tough wins on the road is the standard... huge advantage in the Kennel.

GonzaGAW
10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
i think the answer is obvious, baylor. they are the top ranked team (pre season) on our schedule.

you could hopefully insert in the blank, gonzaga made a clean sweep of the big 12 (anywhere between 4 to 6 games against this conference)

for me personally, when will i know gonzaga is for real or not? not baylor, they are highly skilled. no shame if we trip up against them, even at home. the two games i am going to watch to gauge this years team will be road games against kansas state and oklahoma state. ksu will be well coached and we will draw a huge crowd i'm sure. and oklahoma state while not considered to do much this year has one of the best new point guards in the country, smart. coach few coach this young man this past summer and could not stop saying good things about his skill and ability. pre season mags all point him out as a national top player. if we can win those two games i foresee gu ending up with a top 10-14 ranking in the polls, and a 3 seed.

aint pre season talk great! and cheap!
suppose we could go 8-6 in ooc and miss the top 25 like last year.
but i don't think so!

CDC84
10-25-2012, 04:25 PM
The road game at Washington State. It's a rivalry game in a very hostile environment. It doesn't matter how good or bad the Cougs are, it's always difficult to pull out a win in Pullman.

I think that game at Oklahoma State will also tell us a lot about the Zags, but that's not really an early season OOC game.