PDA

View Full Version : Obit for Tony August

stmikezag
10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Last week there was an obit for Tony August in the S.R. I was wondering if there was a connection with Joey August who if my memory is correct was quite prominent in Zag athletics in the '40s. I'm thinking it. Might have been the old boxing team. Anyone able to fill me in?

Birddog
10-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Didn't the Obit list the relatives? I'm a long time removed from Spokaloo but I thought Joey had just one son, Nick who at one time coached GU Baseball IIRC. Joey's brother Frank had two kids I think, a boy and a girl IIRC. Frank moved to Las Vegas back in the 60's but I think his kids stayed in Spokane. Maybe it was Frank's son, he'd be in his early 60's.

Curiosity got the best of me and I Googled it. Tony was Joey's brother. I forgot about both he and Louis.

bartruff1
10-23-2012, 08:31 AM
In brief lucid moments, I keep thinking pizza (and beer)...but then the lights flicker out...didn't we used to go to his pizza parlor ???

Birddog
10-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Frank august owned the pizza and Italian restaurant but sold it around 1964. The august name stayed for several years until it was changed to genos.

bartruff1
10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
So I may have recalled a actual fact ? Or facsimile.... that is good... now I have to lie down for a bit and maybe doze off... Pizza and Beer, what a combination, and some people think that 18yo boys only think of one thing !! Well, maybe 95% of the time, but they have to eat and drink...

Birddog
10-23-2012, 10:40 AM
It was on Hamilton between Mission and Sinto, east side of street.

stmikezag
10-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Bird dog thanks for the input. I did see that there was a Joey listed as a brother but what I was looking for was the zag connection which you and friends provided. Thanks again.