PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition Game and Schedule

Mr Vulture
10-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I have seen the final schedule and know there is an exhibition game this Saturday. Couple questions in regards to this:

Do we have a printable form of the schedule, as we have had in years past, or is it still in the works awaiting times, etc?

Is the exhibition game going to be on television and, if so, what channel will it be on?

Thanks for any help!

gozagswoohoo
10-22-2012, 10:35 AM
I have seen the final schedule and know there is an exhibition game this Saturday. Couple questions in regards to this:

Do we have a printable form of the schedule, as we have had in years past, or is it still in the works awaiting times, etc?

Is the exhibition game going to be on television and, if so, what channel will it be on?

Thanks for any help!

I always put out a version of the schedule, and I'm waiting for about 9 game times....ugh, this part always takes FOREVER!!!

BobZag
10-22-2012, 10:42 AM
KHQ-6. That might be it.

Bogozags
10-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Any word on whether ROOT will once again carry all of GU's non-ESPN games...

Angelo Roncalli
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Any word on whether ROOT will once again carry all of GU's non-ESPN games...

Not yet. The WCC is still trying to put together a secondary conference TV deal.

CDC84
10-22-2012, 11:00 AM
The exhibition game will be on Root Sports. It's on the DVR calendar.

Bogozags
10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Not yet. The WCC is still trying to put together a secondary conference TV deal.

Thanks Angelo...

I'm hoping its ROOT sports, which is why I got DTV over TMC...keeping my fingers crossed

Therunner
10-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks Angelo...

I'm hoping its ROOT sports, which is why I got DTV over TMC...keeping my fingers crossed

ditto.

just installed DTV for the very same reason, in preparation for all Zags game.

Added the 'Sports Pack' & ROOT sports channels for addt'l $12 per month.

C'mon ROOT & GU Athletics.

If not ROOT, then who, by chance would carry the KHQ/non-ESPN games??

titopoet
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone streaming it?

KStyles
10-22-2012, 11:37 AM
ditto.

The non-ESPN WCC games may possibly go to Time Warner Cable SportsNet. There's been some talk about it on twitter for a while now and I've seen it mentioned a few other places, though nothing concrete.

TWC SportsNet, meanwhile, has current Mountain West Conference rights (including some San Diego State football this season) and will reportedly soon get the West Coast Conference, focusing here on Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine.

http://www.dailynews.com/sportscolumnists/ci_21649996/tom-hoffarth-media-laker-centric-time-warner-cable

CDC84
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Some of the non-ESPN games might go to Time Warner Sportsnet. There will still be Root Sports games. It's just a question of how many.

The biggest problem with Time Warner Sportsnet is that it has very limited distribution right now. Direct TV doesn't get it. Dish Network doesn't get it. Cox Cable doesn't get it. Time Warner Cable subscribers have to pay around $3.95 per month to get the channel. It's expensive.

Angelo Roncalli
10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
ditto.

It's not ROOT and GU Athletics, it's the conference. The WCC has the right to the conference games.

ZagNative
10-22-2012, 11:59 AM
I wonder what the attraction to Time Warner Sportsnet is for the WCC, in view of the limited distribution. Any clues?

gozagswoohoo
10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Wonder if Dish Network will have access to Time Warner Sports Net?? Never seen or heard of that....

75Zag
10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting article here about Time Warner Sports Net. Apparently the Lakers signed up with them, but the network is not yet available in LA. Even the Lakers owner can't get the channel that carriers the LA team games.

I think it will be a cold day in hell when Comcast carries a Time Warner channel, since Comcast and Time Warner are blood sworn enemies. Maybe those of you with DirectTV or Dish will have better luck.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/06/sports/la-sp-plaschke-lakers-tv-20121007

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
I wonder what the attraction to Time Warner Sportsnet is for the WCC, in view of the limited distribution. Any clues?

Probably because Time Warner Sportsnet, as a new channel, is desperate for programming. The only way the WCC is going to get a secondary TV deal is if they find someone who is desperate to fill air time. ESPN already gobbles up most of the conference's good league games. A secondary channel would be getting nothing but table scraps.

gozagswoohoo
10-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I wonder if I could ever get in trouble or anything for distributing my zags schedule to like 400 people? I mean, I do it free, obviously, and it's all for fun. But, I work on and move the zags logo and university name and stuff....

Sure hope not.

Then again, I don't think any of you guys would ever tell on me or turn me in, right?!?!

3zagda
10-22-2012, 02:24 PM
We gave up on our cable and satellite TV a few years ago. Last season we were able to find a online stream of virtually every game from one source. Anyone know if that will be available this year?
The best part was you could stream them again over the next week as well!

75Zag
10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I wonder if I could ever get in trouble or anything for distributing my zags schedule to like 400 people? I mean, I do it free, obviously, and it's all for fun. But, I work on and move the zags logo and university name and stuff....

Sure hope not.

Then again, I don't think any of you guys would ever tell on me or turn me in, right?!?!

My favorite disclaimer:

"All trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are used here for identification and comparison purposes only."

Go Bulldogs!

FlyZag
10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I can't stream the games if I don't get them myself. Let's hope that KHQ keeps the local community feed going.

And yes, it appears the game this Saturday will be live on my feed.

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I can't stream the games if I don't get them myself. Let's hope that KHQ keeps the local community feed going.

And yes, it appears the game this Saturday will be live on my feed.

Can you give us the link again?

FlyZag
10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Can you give us the link again?

www.justin.tv/rideopen

Birddog
10-22-2012, 04:11 PM
The biggest problem with Time Warner Sportsnet is that it has very limited distribution right now. Direct TV doesn't get it. Dish Network doesn't get it. Cox Cable doesn't get it. Time Warner Cable subscribers have to pay around $3.95 per month to get the channel. It's expensive.

Then just what the hell is the attraction for the WCC. This seems like a stupid move to me. There are a lot of us out there that get ROOT on satellite and I'm betting right now that there are more satellites tuned in than TW will ever get. If those other also ran games were worth a crap they would be on one of the channels that used to be part of the FOX Sports group. I think Jaime is chasing the wrong rainbow here.

ZagNative
10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
then just what the hell is the attraction for the wcc. This seems like a stupid move to me. There are a lot of us out there that get root on satellite and i'm betting right now that there are more satellites tuned in than tw will ever get. If those other also ran games were worth a crap they would be on one of the channels that used to be part of the fox sports group. I think jaime is chasing the wrong rainbow here.+1000!

kitzbuel
10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Probably because Time Warner Sportsnet, as a new channel, is desperate for programming. The only way the WCC is going to get a secondary TV deal is if they find someone who is desperate to fill air time. ESPN already gobbles up most of the conference's good league games. A secondary channel would be getting nothing but table scraps.
How good of a deal is it for the conference if no one can see them?

Bogozags
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
How good of a deal is it for the conference if no one can see them?

I think you have to separate watching the games from revenue and revenue wins hands down all the darn time now a days...

I think we all should get past the thought that any TV sport is being broadcast FOR THE FANS but rather for revenue and yes, viewers are required but not fans...

cynical yes but sadly true...

2wiceright
10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Then just what the hell is the attraction for the WCC. This seems like a stupid move to me. There are a lot of us out there that get ROOT on satellite and I'm betting right now that there are more satellites tuned in than TW will ever get. If those other also ran games were worth a crap they would be on one of the channels that used to be part of the FOX Sports group. I think Jaime is chasing the wrong rainbow here.

I have Time Warner and it comes with Root TV as well as all of the ESPN channels...I guess maybe it's cause I'm near Post Falls (North Idaho) that I've always had access to all GU games.....I had dish network once, but I always had problems with their Hi-Def Dish as I would constantly have to clean snow off it or get interference with high winds, etc. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones with Time Warner, compared to others who are non local...

Colbyspapa
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Can someone fill me in on what has changed? Did GU in fact lose the ability to negotiate their own tv deal? Did we have this ability in the past or has the conference been negotiating out deal all along and I just didn't know it? Are we now in danger of not being able to see all GU games because the conference "is not all about Gonzaga"? If the conference does a deal with time warner for games that are not viewable by Gonzaga fans and they put GU in those games, how does that help the conference? I'm thoroughly confused. The WCC's rise is directly tied to GUs over the past decade.

Mr Vulture
10-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I went into the guide last night for Root Sports and it didn't show any basketball game for Gonzaga. It showed a bunch of lame college football games all day though...what time is the game supposed to be on?

3zagda
10-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Can Coleman play in the exhibition? I read Kyle played in the one last year if I am not mistaken.

KStyles
10-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Can someone fill me in on what has changed? Did GU in fact lose the ability to negotiate their own tv deal? Did we have this ability in the past or has the conference been negotiating out deal all along and I just didn't know it? Are we now in danger of not being able to see all GU games because the conference "is not all about Gonzaga"?

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding of the TV deals. The conference has had a deal with ESPN for a while. The games that ESPN didn't pick up were then given back to local networks, and KHQ/ROOT picked up Gonzaga's games (CSN Bay Area sometimes picked up St. Mary's, etc.). It appears the conference is now trying for a secondary TV deal, so the rights to the WCC games that ESPN didn't want would go to another channel (possibly TWC SN), and the games that secondary channel doesn't want would then be given back to the local networks. The WCC doesn't have rights to OOC games, so that's why KHQ & ROOT has already picked GU's out-of-conference games (that aren't on ESPN, etc.) up.

If the conference does a deal with time warner for games that are not viewable by Gonzaga fans and they put GU in those games, how does that help the conference? I'm thoroughly confused. The WCC's rise is directly tied to GUs over the past decade.

Time Warner (or whoever) pays the conference for the right to broadcast those games. I'd assume the conference will get paid even if exactly zero Gonzaga fans watch the game. Time Warner is probably also hoping that by adding programming that will be in demand (Lakers games, college games), that other cable/dish/directv customers will pressure their TV providers into agreeing to a deal to carry TWCSN.

Zagineer
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I went into the guide last night for Root Sports and it didn't show any basketball game for Gonzaga. It showed a bunch of lame college football games all day though...what time is the game supposed to be on?

I don't know where you're located or who your service providers are, but the Seattle area Comcast programimg guide is listing the game on Root Sports HD channel 627 on Saturday, 10/27 at 5:00 pm.

........at least it was listed two days ago when I set my DVR to record it.

Interestingly, the game schedule on gozags.com only shows KHQ as the covering media. Somebody is wrong and I hope its the game schedule on gozags.com. Maybe they made a deal with Root after the schedule on gozags.com was released. We shall see.

KStyles
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Can Coleman play in the exhibition? I read Kyle played in the one last year if I am not mistaken.

I don't believe so. Exhibitions & scrimmages with other teams (like the "secret" UT scrimmage) both count as intercollegiate competition, which he is ineligible for until he completes his year-in-residence.

CDC84
10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Saturday's exhibition game is showing up on Root Sports NW on my Direct TV DVR. At least it was as of last night.

Zagdog71
10-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Available on Root TV via Comcast in Salem, Oregon.

2wiceright
10-23-2012, 04:23 PM

That seems odd. I'm in North Idaho and it is listed on Root Sports Channel 799 (in HD) at 5PM as well (with Time Warner minus the Sportsnet Channel people have mentioned).

As we are so close to Spokane often it is listed on Root and come gametime they actually televise it on Q6 without it being listed there on the DVR programming guide.

KStyles
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Depending where you live, your Root Sports channel may not be the Root Sports NW channel (There are also Root Sports Rocky Mountain & Root Sports Pittsburgh channels), or you may have access to multiple Root Sports channels. It looks like the GU game is only being aired live on the NW channel.

The GU game shows up on Root Sports NW's online programming guide (http://northwest.rootsports.com/HomePage.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=25920) at 5:00 PDT on Saturday.

Root Sports Pittsburgh (http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/HomePage.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=25910) shows Baylor @ Iowa St during the same time.

Root Sports Rocky Mountain (http://rockymountain.rootsports.com/HomePage.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=25930) shows Hawaii @ Colorado St. during the same window.

75Zag
10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
As a fan of GU basketball I would like everyone, everywhere to be able to watch every game. But the reality of sports broadcasting is that closed loop channels bid for sports content NOT because they give a damn about the content but because they are hoping to force people and networks to carry their channel. But the truth is that the same slime agent guy that is bidding for GU or WCC content today on behalf of some closed loop sports network will be bidding for the rights to "One Life to Live" content for Soap Opera Digest Channel tomorrow.

Different day, same old s*&t.

Reality Bites, as they say.

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
10-23-2012, 06:08 PM
If anyone watches the show "Wilfred" or is familiar with Aussie slang, they won't have the same understanding of "ROOT" ever again.

kitzbuel
10-23-2012, 06:14 PM

Make sure you are not checking the HD channel....

I do see it on Dish on 412-16.

gozagswoohoo
10-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Dish 426 for me. FSN-NW

SO PUMPED IT IS TELEVISED HERE!!!!

75Zag
10-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Still waiting for word on Comcast in Portland.

Go Bulldogs!

3zagda
10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
If root etc are not an option, any ideas for how to watch online?

Mr Vulture
10-24-2012, 12:48 AM
I was looking on the HD channel. I'll take a look tonight on non HD and get it setup...thanks!

buenaparkzag
10-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Scheduled to air on DirectTV CH 687 in Orange County

Zagtana
10-24-2012, 02:01 AM
According to the advanced ROOT schedule, I'll get the game live here in northwest Montana. YES! Wife asked me why I am walking around with a silly grin on my face.

KStyles
10-25-2012, 02:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZwhGF.png

That tweet links to this article (http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102512aaa.html), which reads, in part:

The West Coast Conference will hold its second annual men's basketball tip-off event at Time Warner Cable Sports Studios on Monday, October 29. The event will give West Coast Conference fans the ability to interact with all nine WCC head men's basketball coaches and student-athletes from each institution through a live YouTube stream and the popular WCC Live radio program, available on WCCsports.com. The 2012-13 West Coast Conference Men's Basketball preseason poll and all-conference team will be announced that day as well.

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the "exciting news" involves TWCSN, probably the secondary TV deal that's been rumored for the past month or so.

75Zag
10-25-2012, 09:50 AM
If true this is not good news for me as a Comcast subscriber in Portland. ROOT has always been accessible but I really doubt Comcast is going to pick up a Time Warner Sports Network. Hope ESPN picks up all the interesting GU games.

Go Bulldogs!

bartruff1
10-25-2012, 09:56 AM
KHQ-6. That might be it.

Shows the game at 5 on KHQ only .... it might be on ROOT or ?? But they are not listed..It does show the Southern Utah Game at 6pm on both KHQ and ROOT....sorry if this is duplication...bart

Radbooks
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm down in Richland and it shows the game - and now it shows that it is in HD! It didn't show that earlier in the week when I set my DVR, so who knows what will actually happen. :)

ZagNative
10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
My Comcast listing in Spokane shows the game at 5:30 Saturday only on SWX, #115. It shows only game delay offerings on Root on Sunday and Monday:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--aa_AI1l7fU/UInA0v2FQYI/AAAAAAABVxU/0O8tN2f25Bw/s724/Fullscreen%2520capture%252010252012%252034330%2520 PM.bmp.jpg

Knotsolucky
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm sure I saw that the game would be broadcast on both SWH 115 and KHQ 106 at 5...

3zagda
10-26-2012, 03:21 PM
FlyZag,
Thanks so much for getting the games up there! You saved my bacon! Last season, every game I could not get here in Oregon, I was able to watch thanks to you. And replays too!

cjm720
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
www.justin.tv/rideopen

Thanks !!

Anyone know how to follow on the iPhone app? The Justin tv app isn't too intuitive (or I'm an idiot)

75Zag
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Anyone know how to follow on the iPhone app?

I am sure that there are 100,000 young GU computer wizards with a better answer than I have, but if you want to run "flash" and other MS based programs on your iPhone or iPad, check out OnLive Desktop. They have a free version via the Apple App store.

I can now watch flash based sites and other sports related content with this App. Pretty slick.

I have no connection - no profit - just a suggestion.

Go Bulldogs!

Oregonzagnut
10-26-2012, 05:06 PM

They have several apps to learn to use the ROOT app. Only 2.99 each.

zagamatic
10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
BYU is playing an exhibition game right now against south east Oklahoma state. Byu is up, obviously, and Davies has 17 in the first half. It's on BYU TV til 8

Baldwinzag
10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
fwiw, Davies has always been one of the most underrated players in D1/College hoops, imho. he's like a taller version of Elias in my mind, and has proven as much.

i wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him make an AA roster or Honorable Mention this season.

If he isn't an NBA guy, I don't who is...

Would have loved to have Brandon Davies a Zag, and he was highly interested in GU(listed us in his Top-3).

A couple of our players -- at that time -- made some very poor decisions off the court and he was subsequently turned off during his official visit to campus.

Baseline
10-27-2012, 12:17 AM
I watched the game, kinda rag tag. Carlino still looks out of control. Hawes looks good as does Delgado (sp). Davies is Davies.
They sure look different without Hartsock.

Baldwinzag
10-27-2012, 05:12 AM
I watched the game, kinda rag tag. Carlino still looks out of control. Hawes looks good as does Delgado (sp). Davies is Davies.
They sure look different without Hartsock.

This is the key to BYU's season.

I have a feeling Carlino will improve in many areas, yet he's always been an 'out of control' type of player, its his game/nature. Since HS & at UCLA. I've always felt its a mistake to have him play PG, but I'm not sure BYU has a choice.

Did anyone ever notice how much better they played & looked in the WCC & NCAA Tourney when Carlino hit the bench?

He's more electrifying than both Brock Zylstra and/or Anson Winder, but they sure as heck did a better job managing the team in tough games than Carlino EVER has...

Although BYU did get a couple intriguing newcomers in Delgado(6'3" G) and Ambrosino(6'8" F), plus Haws is a flat out stud and was their best player not named Jimmer prior to his mission.

RenoZag
10-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Dish 426 for me. FSN-NW

SO PUMPED IT IS TELEVISED HERE!!!!

Will DVR the Zags and watch them after the World Series

Bogozags
10-27-2012, 09:59 AM
5 hours and 57 minutes and counting...Yipee!

Go ND!

Go Giants!

3zagda
10-27-2012, 12:38 PM
75Zag,
tried to find that app, but it does not come up in the app store. I did see a Secure Online Desktop for free, but it did not sound like it was the right app. Any help would be appreciated.

awberke
10-27-2012, 12:52 PM
I just want to commend FlyZag for streaming these games, its really a blessing for those of those that can't get them. I'll buy you a gift if you keep streaming.

titopoet
10-27-2012, 01:40 PM

I am sure that there are 100,000 young GU computer wizards with a better answer than I have, but if you want to run "flash" and other MS based programs on your iPhone or iPad, check out OnLive Desktop. They have a free version via the Apple App store.

I can now watch flash based sites and other sports related content with this App. Pretty slick.

I have no connection - no profit - just a suggestion.

Go Bulldogs!

Also, the espn app and Justintv app work find on my IPAD. I tend to watch it on my laptop, but have watched it on the IPAD app.