And so is Mars,
    GU Nation,
    Set your DVRs!

--Root Sports NW, Saturday @ 5:00PM--

First Prediction of Season:

We Got Two 7-Footers - 94
    We Got a Truckload of Potatoes - 58

:]

NAMPA, Idaho - Northwest Nazarene University men's head basketball coach, Dave Daniels, has announced that the team will face Gonzaga University in a season opening exhibition match up to kick off the 2012-2013 season.
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!
  • 2wiceright
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Dec 2007

Saturday night Bigs

Warning (good practice for our big guys)....this team has some big boys! It appears their recruiting style is out of Fews playbook. They have players on their roster from Eastern Europe to Soutern Cal. transfers...

A couple of these kids remind me of the old Soviet era teams. Michal Kurinsky (center) is a 7 footer from the Czeck Rebublic, along with 6'10" C/F Ivan Zidzik- he looks plain mean, also from Porazska Slovakia. Looks like the Kurinsky deal was a 2-for with a 6'3" guard from Prague.

Finally, anyone hear of a Kenny Jones, a 6'2" senior originally from UCLA? I'm not saying Kidwells score is off but this Division 2 team has a few bigs, then it really drops off from there. Should be a fun 1st practice- beating up on players other than themselves!!!
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Kyle Dranginis is from Nampa, Idaho (home of NNU). Wonder if that's part of the reason we're playing them.

:]

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Zagineer
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

Thanks for the heads up, Kiddwell. I didn't even think they would show the Exhibition Game beyond local KHQ coverage.

In the Seattle area, that would be Comcast Channel 627. Our recorder has been set.

As for us having two 7 footers,............... I sure hope so.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

LC Connection

I see Austin Damon on the roster. Is that Clay's son or nephew?
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2011

No cupcake

Looks like NNU is no softie of a Div2 team. Kenny Jones played at UCLA last year as a walk on. But he is already 22 years old and this must be his last year of eligibility. So will he be sitting out this year like any other transfer or did he get immediate eligibility due to changing divisions or some other rule?
            “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Bogozags
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
              Looks like NNU is no softie of a Div2 team. Kenny Jones played at UCLA last year as a walk on. But he is already 22 years old and this must be his last year of eligibility. So will he be sitting out this year like any other transfer or did he get immediate eligibility due to changing divisions or some other rule?
              OZN,

FYI...D1 Transfers don't have to "sit" if they transfer to any non-D1 school, so he should be on the court.

Comment

• KStyles
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                D-I basketball (and baseball & football) players must generally sit out a year if going to another D-I school (Gerard Coleman) but if transferring from a D-I school to a school in a lower division are eligible to play immediately.

Edit: Yeah, what Bogozags said.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2011

Fair test for Pangos/Bell

Having Jones start at PG after being on the UCLA squad will be a decent early test for our guards. Assuming he is the best guard they have right off the bat, our guards get to play a former Div1 guard in exhibition. Granted he was a walk-on and only saw 8 games, but he at least was worthy to practice with the UCLA guys for 4 years and probably in all practicality was only as good as a Div II player.

Still....gotta give some credit where credit is due, he does have hops as seen here:

Follow: https://twitter.com/ThomasKurniadyTK7Live facebook http://www.facebook.com/TK7LiveTK7Live http://www.TK7Live.comKOBE facebook http://www.facebook.com...

Their bigs will be at least competitive and I still hope we beat them by 30+.
                  “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

Working...
                  X