PDA

View Full Version : So tell me about Coleman again

MickMick
10-21-2012, 09:10 PM
First time in three years I missed Kraziness in the Kennel.

Tell me if I get the "gist" of it.

Slender.
Plays the three position.
Can take it to the rim and finish (perhaps his best offensive attribute).
Needs to work on his outside shot.

Without looking it up, but from memory recall:

Has two years of eligibility starting next season?
Transfered from Providence?
Was a "four star" coming out of high school?

What else? Have I pretty much covered the common knowledge? Fill me in if there is more.

If eligible, would he play this season? How did his defense look? How does his passing/court vision look? Too small of a sample size? Should we be excited?

Intriguing player.

GoZags
10-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Averaged 13.2 ppg and 5 rpg playing in the Big East last year.

Is a very warm, friendly kind of guy (per a friend of mine that was at practice the other day -- Gerard went up to him and introduced himself). After the practice my friend said he reminded him of Erroll Knight. He also said he could get to the rim at will, was very much an athletic slasher.

I asked if Anthony Reasons was comparable -- and was told kind of, but Gerard has much better upside. Again, he started 2 years in the Big East -- then left after 1 season with the new coach (i.e. the coach who recruited him had left).

Lots of folks who follow Providence were sorry to see him go.

I think, like with Dickau, the transfer redshirt year will help Gerard. That's all I got (and it's 2nd hand and info gleaned from Providence folks)

MickMick
10-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks GoZags.

GoZags
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I was also told he said he absolutely loves it at Gonzaga, and loves being a part of this team. I was wondering if he could end up having a Pangos-esque touch in recruiting friends from the Northeast. That'd be nice. I took a quick peak -- looks like he went to high school in New Hampshire (not exactly a hotbed). I did find this article from a High School all star game that had some items of interest.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gerard-Coleman-5790/

CDC84
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I was also told he said he absolutely loves it at Gonzaga, and loves being a part of this team. I was wondering if he could end up having a Pangos-esque touch in recruiting friends from the Northeast. That'd be nice.

He's already making an impact with this guy. Hopefully it will turn into a commitment:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102751/goodluck-okonoboh

SteelZag
10-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Couldn't help but notice in the story it lists his wingspan as poor, but in the stats his wingspan was listed as 6'9.5''. One of those listed seems to be inaccurate. I vote for the latter to be true.

Does anybody know the wingspans of the current roster?

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
10-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi,

Providence recruited Chris Dunn and Ricky Ledo at the guard positions. Dunn a McDonalds All-American and Ledo was a five star ***** recruit who many think was the best scorer in the 2012 class. Vincent Council is also a pre-season first team All-Big East.

Dunn is now injured and may redshirt or return in January for Big East play and Ledo the last I checked was still in limbo academically. I think Gerard was recruited over at Providence by coach Cooley. Now both of his big recruits are MIA. Providence is recruiting Brandon Austin very hard also right now. Austin is pretty much a big time player at the guard position.

Since moving to the east coast and following basketball here Tilton school doesn't seem to produce players that are fundamentally very sound. Alex Oriakhi (UConn/Missouri), Coleman (Providence) and this year I think Nerlens Noel will be over hyped especially offensively. He will be a good shot blocker though but overrated. Missouri with AO at center should compete for the SEC title but last year Orhiakhi was just terrible. So Tilton School has produced some big name players and has that rep but they are not that well coached in high school for the talent they possess. Wayne Seldon also went to Tilton school and just picked Kansas. He is the #14 player in the class of 2013. So Tilton where Gerald went is well known but the players are raw when they leave that school.

I think Gerard will help us this year especially going up against GBJ everyday in practice. The redshirt year should give him a great chance to work on fundamentals and his shot. He can get to the rim and finish and going small with 3 talented guards is a good move in college hoops.

He is a good player.

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2012, 06:08 AM
His name is Gerard, right?

jazzdelmar
10-22-2012, 06:21 AM
this isn't gonna be a recurring theme all season is it: waiting for gerard?

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2012, 06:39 AM
this isn't gonna be a recurring theme all season is it: waiting for gerard?

...the next great absurdist comedy play. Godot Coleman has a nice ring to it.

bullpup00
10-22-2012, 06:57 AM
He seems like a very nice and genuine guy! I brought my two nieces ages 5 and 6 yrs old to the Krazziness in the kennel. At the autograph session afterwards he gave them both a hi-five and said " Man... I miss my little sister back home". He will be a good fit here!

10-22-2012, 07:28 AM
His name is Gerard, right?

Hi JP,

Yes Gerard not Gerald! One of my professors names is Gerald so there ya go!! Gracias!!!!!!!

Val :)

Zagdawg
10-22-2012, 07:37 AM
He already has great hops......I can't wait to see what happens when he gets some added muscle on those legs.

The optimism is in the house....even without a top 25 recruiting class for next year.

Coleman is a known commodity that has played college ball and will have a year to get to know the Zag system plus he has had success playing in a good league.

We are very fortunate as most high school players are still getting used to the college game/college life and being away from home.

It was good to see him going up against Bell -- they will make each other that much better.

JPtheBeasta
10-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi JP,

Yes Gerard not Gerald! One of my professors names is Gerald so there ya go!! Gracias!!!!!!!

Val :)

De nada. Just wanted to make sure that we got it right. Thanks for the above info, btw.

DixieZag
10-22-2012, 07:41 AM
He seems like a very nice and genuine guy! I brought my two nieces ages 5 and 6 yrs old to the Krazziness in the kennel. At the autograph session afterwards he gave them both a hi-five and said " Man... I miss my little sister back home". He will be a good fit here!

To me, this is as good a sign as his ability to get to the rim. It takes a mature, special, caring person to wear the Zag uniform and be part of the team. He seems to have that quality (from reports) in abundance.

And averaging 13 a game in the NBA - I mean the Big East is a very promising stat.

ID ZAGFAN
10-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Nobody mentioned the most obvious lack Gerard is going to fill on the floor---Tatts! We lost a lot of tattoos when Big Rob graduated, But I noticed during the autograph line that Gerard has a nice array. Too bad we have to wait until next year to see them on the floor again.

:D

ZaGranny

Hogan
10-22-2012, 08:24 AM
At 6'3" and 175 I would guess he is better suited for the 2 guard position rather than the 3, especially against the better teams.

zagitup
10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Here's what I saw from young Mr. Coleman on Saturday:

On the court- Fearless and aggressive, who felt like slashing into the paint with the ball was his God-given right and duty. He dared his defender to try and stop him. Looked like NOTHING intimidated him.

Off the court (in the autograph line)- Friendly, soft-spoken but engaging, willing to smile and have a conversation, even with an old guy like me. Thanked everyone for coming. Looked like he felt humbled to be there.

I have a feeling we're REALLY gonna like this guy....

tucsonzag
10-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Stoked for this kid! Anyone know the connection or interest that ended up relocating him to the opposite side of the country? Or did the staff just go after him and he said yes?

zagamatic
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I remember Gerard driving the lane, collapsing the defense, and then dishing to Pangos for 3 just the way you'd draw it up. Very impressed with him.

10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi,

Kyle will have to make buckets this year and play well. Everyone should be competitive and Kyle will have his opportunity to be a very solid contributor. After red shirting its his time to shine this year. Hopefully he can solidify his near term future as a Zag and be happy here.

Val

CDC84
10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Coleman's height and weight might make him more ideally suited to being a two man, but he's likely to see most of his time at small forward next season. Gonzaga already has a shooting guard. He'll just be a smaller wing like Luther Head was on that great 2004/05 Illinois team. Coleman also has a whole year to bulk up. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts next year at 185 or 190.

I don't have concerns about height issues when it comes to the Pangos/Bell/Coleman trio...mainly because of how athletic Bell is and how insanely athletic Coleman is. The "three guard attack" only becomes an issue when the trio, collectively, lacks quickness and athleticism. Louisville employed a similiar trio last year (with perhaps less talent than next year's trio at Gonzaga) and made it to the final four. That trio played well enough against #1 Kentucky to keep the game close throughout.

If there's talent, the height issues become less significant. I mean, I wouldn't want to be a tall, 6-7 wing with the assignment of having to guard a guy like Coleman. He'd just blow right by those guys. Gonzaga could cause their own matchup issues. The main one being that they'll have three proven perimeters who can all go for 20+ in a game. Opponents won't be able to key in on any one guy. That's huge.

sittingon50
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
+ I believe I read somewhere that his wingspan was 6'9.5". He did look long so think he can guard that position in most instances.

ZagNative
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Spokesman-Review photo, vs. Gary Bell on the left:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6sOyZEfQTVk/UIWXMGCCN5I/AAAAAAABVuI/F7DClxocWYU/s620/2012-10-20%2520Gerard%2520Coleman%2520Gary%2520Bell%2520Kr aziness.jpg

Therunner
10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Gerard attempted 165 FT's last season. :eek:

that is alotta friggin' attempts from the charity stripe as a CG/SF, especially in the 'physical' Big East, which allows a ton of contact underneath.

This kid can draw fouls like no other, a terrific indicator of his aggressiveness and slashing ability. :drool:

Can you imagine how many whistles he'll draw in the WCC? (although, sometimes Libbey & Co will target players who are too aggressive & consider it unfair - see Elias, Brandon Davies, Rob Jones, et al last season).

anyway, to put it in perspective, Pangos attempted just 114 FT's, Gary bell 85; heck, Elias only shot 116 FT's (however, he has propensity to get the travel call vs foul).

229SintoZag
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Gerard attempted 165 FT's last season. :eek:

that is alotta friggin' attempts from the charity stripe as a CG/SF, especially in the 'physical' Big East, which allows a ton of contact underneath.

This kid can draw fouls like no other, a terrific indicator of his aggressiveness and slashing ability. :drool:

Can you imagine how many whistles he'll draw in the WCC? (although, sometimes Libbey & Co will target players who are too aggressive & consider it unfair - see Elias, Brandon Davies, Rob Jones, et al last season).

anyway, to put it in perspective, Pangos attempted just 114 FT's, Gary bell 85; heck, Elias only shot 116 FT's (however, he has propensity to get the travel call vs foul).

How many did he make? Getting to the line is only half the battle.

Angelo Roncalli
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
How many did he make? Getting to the line is only half the battle.

.671 from the FT line last season.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2011-2012/teamcume.html#TEAM.CMB

Let's hope Dr. Krause gets him over .700

Therunner
10-22-2012, 02:22 PM
.671 from the FT line last season.

Let's hope Dr. Krause gets him over .700

while Krause is at it, our ver own David Stockton needs to improve from the charity stripe, a paltry .59% as a lead PG ain't gonna cut it, especially in the whistle-happy WCC.

Not to mention GLE's 52% is/was pitiful for his style of game and attributes...

fwiw, Elias & Gerard averaged the exact same PPG and FT %.

bostonzagfan
10-22-2012, 07:43 PM
ricky ledo is only eligible to practice at PC this year. big blow for them, he was a top 10 recruit on some sites.

ecstatic to hear the rave reviews on coleman.

DADoZAG
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
while Krause is at it, our ver own David Stockton needs to improve from the charity stripe, a paltry .59% as a lead PG ain't gonna cut it, especially in the whistle-happy WCC.

Not to mention GLE's 52% is/was pitiful for his style of game and attributes...

fwiw, Elias & Gerard averaged the exact same PPG and FT %.

David has horrible form on both his three point shot and free throw, imo.

As for GLE, his average greatly improved by the end of the year after he added a little "bounce" for balance just before shooting at the stripe. He was so far off balance early in the year, I often thought he might fall on his face. Don't know if it was the knee(s) or what. But he fixed it. Expect a far better percentage this year.

Speaking of GLE’s knees, was great to see him without any braces on his knees. He didn't get many chances with the ball during Kraziness, but he seemed even quicker on D, imo. Not faster, but quicker.

That quickness didn't show itself much during Kraziness because things were so hectic, but it should during the year and will be evidenced by a reduction in fouls. That will be very nice indeed.

Edited: Oops, just realized what thread I was in. In regard to the OP, Coleman will be a stud next year. He changes the pace of the game in a very good way.

Go ZAGS!

DixieZag
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
David Stockton, having grown up with literally a basketball court at home and the son of one of the most fundamentally sound basketball players of all time has no excuse for shooting FTs so poorly last year.

FTs are dependent upon form and it can be learned, just ask Rob Sacre.

I too believe that GLE will shoot better from the FT line being injury free and being simply more comfortable with the environment.

Overall, we have been really spoiled by having good FT shooters - it was Rob's single best weapon (of many) and I hope it continues with Sam, Kelly and KShrek (it seems to me that European players generally are more sound from the FT line.

DADoZAG
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
David Stockton, having grown up with literally a basketball court at home and the son of one of the most fundamentally sound basketball players of all time has no excuse for shooting FTs so poorly last year.

FTs are dependent upon form and it can be learned, just ask Rob Sacre.

Rob needed very little adjustment, tho. His form was fairly good, just needed to stop the horizontal head movement he had when he got to GU.

David, imo, started shooting from range before he was strong enough to do so with proper mechanics.

He still does.

Players can be successful without proper mechanics (anyone remember a certain Gael guard?), but fatigue has a much bigger effect. David plays full out and most times is at a disadvantage physically. Fatigue isn't David's friend.

Go ZAGS!

Baldwinzag
10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Coleman's gonna be a good one, he was considered one of the best, if not the best slasher/penetrators of his entire recruiting class(2010).

He was still unanimously slotted a a Top-65 & 4* player by Rivals, ESPN, & Scout. If he featured a bit better frame(muscle & more weight room work) and more consistent stroke from perimeter, many stated his unique attributes/game was Blue-Chip and best on East Coast, aka a Top-20 type player.

The one consistent knock on his game: inconsistent shooting from 3pt & his unwillingness to pull up for the jumper -- in transition and/or mid-range.

Apparently, his Coach at PC wanted him to utilize a jumper more often in transition and within the offense while Coleman always prefers to take it to way the rim every. single. time. This was a direct quote from Friars message board. He was fearless and one of the best at doing this, yet at some point, wasn't well rounded enough and too predictable to defend i.e. rarely shoots the 3, isn't going to shoot the mid-range, yet slither his way to the hoop as a featured player at Providence.

I believe Gerard's strong suits is exactly what next year's team will need with Elias & Edi graduating, meanwhile, he can work on his weaknesses: perimeter and mid-range jump shot. Best of both worlds and why he probably elected GU, also the fact he attended a small catholic HS & College doesn't hurt...

In addition, Coleman isn't our #1 or #2 option as he was at PC, thus his attributes will balance out our current players weaknesses in a way.

Very excited to have him on board and watch him run in transition, off the break, and cut to the hoop next year.